Completed [The Bronze Woods] A Fortunate Meeting {Scarlet Evony}

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods] A Fortunate Meeting {Scarlet Evony}

Postby Hadyn Skellig on April 2nd, 2013, 1:45 am

Spring 513
9th Day
Afternoon

"Petch it all," the blacksmith muttered under her breath, though there was no one to hear. She'd taken a holiday to get out of the city and spend a lovely spring day in the Woods. Instead she made a fool of herself by slipping on a mossy stone and likely spraining her ankle. She sat heavily on the ground, the delightful birds twittering in the trees giving her a migraine along with the shooting pain from her foot. The chestnut gelding beside her took this moment to forage for a snack.

"You've been a great help," she snapped as she grasped for the reins to ensure he didn't go running off. The horse stared at her with equally brown eyes before taking another bite of undergrowth, clearly unconcerned about her calamity. As it was, she was talking to the horse and now she could quite perfectly imagine his response. Hadyn rolled her eyes skyward before letting loose a sigh. This is what she gets for leaving the city.

Stretching the offending ankle out, she stared at it for a chime, considering her next course of action. She was by no means a healer, barely able to treat a scratch, much less an injured bone or muscle. She rotated the ankle slightly, hissing at the searing pain it elicited. Well, perfect.

The horse stayed close to her more for the bits of grass he was finding than any sense of companionship. Could she hoist herself back into the saddle? Debatable. She was probably better off hobbling back to the city and seeking a healer. Hadyn set her lips in a firm line and decided her first matter was to stand. Heaving herself forward she tried to use the forward momentum to propel her onto her other foot. But the moment weight was distributed to her afflicted ankle she was back on the ground in a heap. The gelding turned to look at her, mouth full of cud. He offered a snort as Hadyn shot him an irritated glare.

"Shut up."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Scarlet Evony on April 2nd, 2013, 4:48 pm

Observing from afar, Scarlet couldn't quite make what exactly it was she was witnessing. Either it was a live comedy show, a pretty dark humored one at that. Second, it could've been that she was now witnessing a very untalented hunter, one who knew the various facets of entertainment, totally unrelated to what she had set out to do. The question that first came in mind was whether to approach her or not, and the way she would do so. She doesn't look very dangerous... Of all things, probably she'd be able to hurt a fly, or a spider. But I doubt she'd be able to do much right now.

It was a cautious approach, one she didn’t usually exercise. In the unrelenting woods, velocity and reaction speed were key to getting anything. But the comedian-huntress in front of her wasn’t food… Or, at least, wasn’t supposed to be. She could count on the fact that she’d probably get a decent scare from her. It was only several meters when her horse shifted slightly. Scarlet stopped, breathing steadily. It was a safe enough distance to defend from a possible attack which would come from someone who had just broken one of their legs. “I’m sorry to bother, but you really look like you could use some help. I saw you around here and I figured you might want a few pieces of advice.”

Scarlet circled, keeping the distance, trying to show she intended no harm. “That was quite impressive for a starter. But one does not simply go hunting when he feels like it. You don’t go out of Syliras just for the pleasure of saying. “Oh, look, I caught a rabbit!”” Scarlet had intended to be less harsh here, but this was the reality. Most of the hunters were just show offs and did nothing more than scare the prey away rather than catch anything on their own. And when they did… Oh, you would never escape their mouths ever again. Scarlet was hoping the woman in front of her was bot one of them, and at least was receptive at some of the pieces she had to offer. “Look, I can’t do anything about your injury, but I can try give you some help on whatever you want to pursue if you want to hear me out.”
Scarlet Evony
Player

Words: 53274
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2013, 2:27 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadyn Skellig on April 3rd, 2013, 4:27 pm

Caiyha was not on her side this day. As it was she was not particuarly talented in the art of hunting. It'd been many seasons since she tried her hand at it. Her middle brother was always the star when it came to such feats. Her skill was passable, though just barely. Oh how her brother would seize with laughter if he could see her now. All the better she was alone. Except for the damn horse.

"Leth's teeth!" she yelped as the unseen voice called to her. So perhaps she wasn't as alone as she hoped. The voice's owner made herself clear and continued speaking. Hadyn struggled a brief moment to recall what the female said - something akin to you look like you can't hunt for shyte, what are you doing out here?

But she kept speaking, offering assistance. It wasn't the help Hadyn wanted. Sitting up a bit straighter, the blacksmith attempted an appreciative expression but the pain in her ankle made it look more comical than anything. Here she was sitting like an idiot on her ass in the middle of the Bronze Woods with nothing but a sprained ankle to show for her trouble.

"Thank you," she murmured quietly. "Your help is well met, but I fear I have no cause to continue my hunt. My quarry ran yonder," she nodded in the general direction of her long gone prey, who was likely laughing at the huntress' poor state. "I've run aground here so unless you can help me up then I'm afraid I'll have to take your lessons to heart til the next time I go on this fool's errand."

Her tone implied a sense of humility and embarrassment at her predicament. She always had an ear for advice to better her less developed skills but she was in no state to continue a hunt.
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scarlet Evony on April 4th, 2013, 4:18 pm

It was amusing how the woman used her accent. On one hand, it made it slightly more difficult to understand what she was saying, but on the other hand the way she used the words elicited a small giggle from Scarlet. It was funny how she used older words to express herself. In fact, she was the first person to do so for quite a long time. "You know, speaking plain common is enough for you to be made understood, but if you insist on using this language know that I may either lose you at any point or start believing you're swearing."

Scarlet hoped she had got the joke before it came to more serious stuff. She quietly approached, examining the new person trekking her hunting grounds. She felt like she could talk to her, maybe even make friends with her. After all, it was almost clear she knew nothing of what she was doing here. The more she approached she slowed her pace up to the point only a couple of feet distanced the two from each other. "I could help you back to the city. But I'm here for a purpose, and I won't be really going back for some time now."

Yeah, I'm here to get some food, unlike the ones who come here for sport. As rude as it might've been, Scarlet felt it wasn't necessary to directly assault her new acquaintance. "You could just wait here while I do my part of the hunting, I could give you a few tips on improving then I could take you back to the city myself." Scarlet sat on her knees, looking into Hadyn's eyes. They emanated a kind of determination, but something more towards learning rather than doing on her own. "Or I could just help you up to your horse and you'll be on your way. It's entirely your choice."
Scarlet Evony
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadyn Skellig on April 5th, 2013, 3:29 am

Hadyn frowned as the woman criticized her manner of speech but decided it was best not to argue while unable to stand. Like most folk the brunette wasn't overly fond of being told what she couldn't do well. It didn't need to be pointed out that she was gods-awful at hunting. The sprained ankle was evidence enough.

"May as well wait while you do what y'must,"
she mumbled with downcast eyes. Hadyn didn't like the idea of returning to the city with a petched foot. Just something else for her male coworkers to tease her for. She came out here intending to spend the day here - one way or another she would do just that.

Looking at the woman Hadyn couldn't tell whether this was a poor choice. The girl could easily be joking with her, hardly intending to help her at all. She could run off into the woods laughing her pretty arse off all the way to the Suvan Sea. Eying her suspiciously, the blacksmith, massaged her sore ankle.

"You familiar with these parts, yeah?"
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scarlet Evony on April 5th, 2013, 4:46 pm

"Familiar?" Scarlet chuckled at the question. She was born in this woods and spent the better part of her first year in these surroundings. Since then, she had been visiting the woods often, hunting, or just for the simple pleasure of being out in the wilds. Of course, she usually did use her animal form around here, where she could be free. Today, however, until she vanished out of sight there would be no such luck. "I do know this forests, some would say as the back of my hand. But no, I can't lie. I do know the forests better than most."

A home she had never really fully seen. Funny how things have a way of fitting together. It's only ironic that one night before my birthday I can't really have some time for my own. She sighed and approached the woman even more, sitting in front of her. "I guess I'll get going then. I shouldn't be off for more than an hour or so. I'll try get something for the both of us to eat, but I can't be sure it'll be enough. Do you have any preferences on game?" It was the least courtesy she could offer in the meantime. I've never had to hunt under the pressure of time. I guess there's a start for everything after all.
Scarlet Evony
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadyn Skellig on April 8th, 2013, 4:54 am

Hadyn listened to her speak as she massaged the skin of her ankle. It protested but she kept her expression placid, the pain having dulled since the initial impact. She looked at the woman as she spoke, considering an appropriate response.

"Not particularly. Don't worry y'self on my account. Hunt for your own meal an' I'll be happy for your return."

Fortuitous that the lady should be in these parts of the woods. Even more fortunate that she should offer not only to assist Hadyn but also hunt for her. What stroke of brilliance brought this luck to her? With a weak smile, the blacksmith rubbed the back of her neck hesitantly. She didn't want to impose on the huntress. Certainly the lady didn't have to feel obliged to hunt for her and Hadyn. If she could help the smith get to the gates of the city she'd surely make it from there. But she nodded appreciatively.

"I'll be here waitin'."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scarlet Evony on April 9th, 2013, 9:49 am

It was all Scarlet needed to hear before she went out on her hunt. After a few minutes of walking, until she was sure she had lost the sight of her new acquaintance and vice-versa, she settled near a tree, removing her clothes in an orderly fashion. She never made much of a show out of it, since it was only natural for a Kelvic to shift, especially in these areas. She quickly assumed her eagle form, and took off, inspecting her surroundings. These particular woods, her usual hunting grounds, along with the eastern part of the Syliran fields, she knew well and had a few good ideas where she'd be able to find her prey.

Fifteen minutes into the flight, she circled the zone where her companion was waiting. SHe isn't suspecting anything. How could she, anyway? There's nothing wrong with wild animals every now and then. Undisturbed, she continued her trail towards the rabbit breeding grounds. After all, there was nothing that could sate one's hunger better than a couple of fresh bunnies. However, today was not going to be a fortunate day. As Scarlet perched up in her usual watching position, the grasses lay quiet, as if warned by her arrival.

Five minutes. Nothing. Ten minutes. Nothing. Just as she was abut to give up, a timid rustling in the bushes gave away the little critters making their way on the ground. If she could've smiled, Scarlet's face would've probably been contorted with a malicious grin. Now you're mine. As she took off, four rabbits scattered in every direction, agilely hopping from bushel to bushel, hoping not to get caught. They had about half a mile to run to get back to their hole. Half a mile some of them wouldn't make.

During her first nose dive, she jolted towards the one closest to the objective. In a quick move, she dug her talons into the rabbit's neck and snapped it in a forceful slip. Leaving the convulsing form on the ground, she took for the skies again to locate the other runners. Circling the field, she rushed towards a second target on her left surged towards their safe home through thick grass. This time, Scarlet's unmerciful strike missed the rabbit by as much as a few inches. She couldn't afford chasing it, since catching up to its speed proved nearly impossible at the current altitude.

One more time the eagle took to her skies, then back towards the prey. Her third attempt was rewarded with success, a second hare stuck in her tightly gripped claws. Without a moment's notice, she ripped open her prey's jugular in her beak, leaving it to a sift death. Another scouring of the area proved what Scarlet had already suspected. The rest of the critters had gotten away. Taking the limp form of the hare, she went to collect the rest of her efforts, turning back into her human form as she settled in the grass.

Dreamily, she picked up her spoils of war and wandered back towards where her companion was waiting for her. Only, once in the clearing, the other woman staring widely at her, she remembered the most important aspect of all. There's no way this can get more awkward, is there? "Look what I found." she managed to open the discussion, wearing nothing but her smile, without covering any of her exposed body. I need to explain this... quickly
Scarlet Evony
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hadyn Skellig on April 10th, 2013, 3:38 am

Hadyn waited. She wasn't particularly talented in the art but she'd heard it was a virtuous quality. Now that she was rendered incapable of doing anything useful she found herself unwillingly in the practice of waiting. The girl had dashed off to find food. Well that was lovely and all but it left Hadyn wishing she'd just declined her help. Looking at the gelding (who was quite enjoying this jaunt into incompetence), the blacksmith frowned, the pain in her ankle settling into a dull throb.

"I could've made it back," she informed him matter-of-factly as he swiveled an ear to her voice. Blowing dust from his nostrils loudly the chestnut simply continued grazing, lifting his head to stare lazily at her, bits off foliage falling from his mouth. "Don't look at me like that."

Hadyn turned away from the indolent beast and began the task of stretching her ankle. Having absolutely pathetic knowledge of healing she could only rotating the offending joint, suppressing a yelp when it only incurred pain. She silently prayed the girl wasn't playing a lark and had simply wandered off to laugh at the woman's plight.

It wasn't until she heard the rustling that she realized she was incorrect. The girl had returned with food. But it wasn't the rabbit that cause Hadyn to raise an eyebrow. She stood stark naked before Hadyn, not a lick of clothing to be seen, holding the carcass like it was entirely natural.

"Well," Hadyn started, dropping her eyes to accommodate her bareness. "Least one of us has been productive."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Scarlet Evony on April 12th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Scarlet couldn't help but notice her companion was trying to avoid looking at her. She did feel a bit relieved that she wasn't going to need to explain the whereabouts of her clothes or how she had gotten like that. "I guess. I'm sorry for having you wait this long." Scarlet tossed the rabbits on the ground in front of her, unknowing what to do next. She would probably notice the way she had made the kills and start questioning.

"I'll go get dressed and be back with you in a moment. In the meantime, would you set up something so we can have them cooked? Or are you planning on taking our capture back to Syliras?" She gave her a reassuring smile. A kelvic's prey was nothing to be trifled with, but when one left it with you, it was to be considered the first step in a mutual trust relationship. At least Scarlet saw it that way. "I like them a notch rare, but you can have them any way. After all, it's lunch any way you put it."
Scarlet Evony
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next