PM to join Do I have your attention? (Zandelia, Ana)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Do I have your attention? (Zandelia, Ana)

Postby Wrenmae on April 3rd, 2013, 10:25 pm

Spring 44th, evening, 513 AV

Zandelia was thinking. Her mind worked over the details of the not-Ana she’d met in the market place. Evalin, she called herself, but there were too many inaccuracies, they bugged her with their multitude. It wasn’t till she put her hand on the door to her room, that the revelation hit her, giving her pause before she entered. She’d walked like a man pretending to be a woman…not an uncommon practice in Sunberth for the particularly thin among the Nighteyes, but it was more than that…wasn’t it? Yes, it wasn’t that she had failed at acting like a woman, moving like a woman, it was as if she was untrained to deal with BEING a woman. There was no exaggerated gait, it was as constrained as it could be. She was a woman who had tried to walk like a man.

And that. That was interesting. Maybe she’d stop by the infirmary to check on Neilles, perhaps tell her about Evalin. Yes. That would be the next logical step. Revy wouldn’t be back till later, likely honing her skills or still getting familiar with the city. When Amelias stepped into the room, it was dark. Ordinarily, this was no strange occurance, but something told the seasoned fighter something was wrong.

Too dark to see. Only wood to the touch. But…it was the smell.

It smelled like a man.

Zandelia pulled her tonfas up as a sliver streak struck from the darkness toward her, catching the long dagger against one of the tonfas, reversing it along her arm to prevent it from slicing and then pumping it forward, knocking the dagger back.

There was fire in the room. Bedside candles burst into new life and cast flickering shadows across the room. The man before her was tall…not nearly so tall as Ximal, but enough to warn caution. He had a long dagger in his right and left, turning them over in his hands with an uncomfortable skill. Zandelia hissed. Magic. She didn’t need auristics to tell her that no candle she knew leaped eagerly to the sight of battle.

She was wholly unprepared.

But the door behind her shut, swinging as she turned to prevent it from closing, but not fast enough to stop it. Not that she would have. The moment she turned, her assailant charged. He led awkwardly with his daggers, as if unaccustomed to using them in tandem. He led with one over the other. Zandelia ducked down as the first strike passed over her, rolling along the wall and swinging her arm out in an arc, determined to catch his elbow and shatter the arm. But he was snake-quick, and the other dagger angled to catch the tonfa. She spun it, displaced the edge, firmed it along her forearm and thrust outward, up toward his gut. The cloak around him fell around him, black cascading falls. But she didn’t have time to question the odd wardrobe choice for pitched combat. It wouldn’t matter anyways.

But it did.

Her tonfa hit the cloth like stee l, with a muffled clang. Zandelia was surprised, shocked even, but did not have time to consider the ramifications. She was up, strafing sideways to stand straight as her assailant followed. Tonfa met dagger, spinning out and back, defense and offense in a moment. But he was unlike any Zandelia had faced before. The way he moved, the fluid way he followed the dagger’s thrust and curve. It was like fighting water, like fighting Ximal with his towering mastery.

Both blades came forward and she caught them with her tonfas, he put his weight against it, trying to force her down. Zandelia shifted her weight sideways, letting him fall, still against the tonfa and disengaged one from the tangle, twisting around and bringing it down against his back. Again the thump of metal, but before she could withdraw, there was a sharp pain.

At her waist half an inch into her stomach, a dagger tasted her blood. Impossible. He’d need to reverse his grip on the dagger in an instant to bring it around that fast. She leaped away from him, spinning her tonfa up, back to the door. She was vulnerable here. Surprised and perhaps outfought, she needed to escape. Now. They engaged once more, all flashing metal and the ring of combat. And then she fell back, grabbed a candle around its base and hurled it at the assassin. Certainly the fire would distract…

But the candle went out before it hit him, snuffed in an instant, and he cut it out of the air with his blade.

“Not bad, Zandelia,” the assassin chuckled, sheathing his blades, “I needed to know you had not grown stagnant in the time I saw you last.” He held a hand out to a chair as he took a seat on the bed. “Come now, I’ve travelled a long way from Sunberth to find you. Certainly you’ll at least let me talk.”

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Do I have your attention? (Zandelia)

Postby Zandelia on April 3rd, 2013, 11:42 pm

If someone had asked Zandelia what she would have expected to encounter with the darkening of the sky upon the horizon the first thing she would have said would not have been that she was about to be attacked in her own lodgings. The day had been strange enough, meeting Apos was a pleasant surprise amongst the detritus of the day. The rest had been slightly more surreal. A duplicate of Neilles, in every way but personality and mannerism, had kicked her mind into a mode of suspicion and second guessing. The encounter had made little sense even after a good few bells of consideration – she could feel the whisperings from the deep recesses of her mind telling her there were things she had missed, had observed but not reacted properly to, but they did not truly sink in until she had entered the Safe Haven Hostel.

No…it can’t be… she tried to convince herself as she opened her door and…wrongness engulfed her. Sniffing the air merely told her what her other senses had relayed to her. Intruder.

She had little time to react beyond the physical, her body taking over where her mind shut down and allowed pure, vibrant instinct to take control. The fighting was brief and intermittent – the assailant was nit truly trying to kill her, that much was plain after the few forays that made up the fight had subsided. He fought with skill, skill that increased as her own responses were absorbed and assessed. It was almost as if, between the ring of metal upon metal and the desperate acrobatics of self-preservation, that his abilities increased to match her own…and surpass them. Warmth coated the right side of her body, just above the waist, as blood from a shallow wound spurted out. He had moved like lightning, one second she had been following the glow of his blade in candlelight and the next she had felt the flash of pain before grunting and retreating.

A damned mage to make things worse too! There’s only one thing that can affect elements like that…Reimancy. Petch…petchpetchpetch! How in the name of Akajia’s arse am I supposed to survive this?! her mind railed at her.

“Not bad, Zandelia,” the assassin chuckled, sheathing his blades, “I needed to know you had not grown stagnant in the time I saw you last.” He held a hand out to a chair as he took a seat on the bed. “Come now, I’ve travelled a long way from Sunberth to find you. Certainly you’ll at least let me talk.”

She frowned then, this was surely some form of trickery indeed, asking her to take a seat after pricking her with his damned long daggers. She did not move from her guarded stance for a few chimes, watching the man before her and trying to process the bizarre twist in providence that allowed her to keep her life for now – he could have killed her and that much she knew to be fact. She was not prepared to face a mage with greater martial efficacy, wouldn’t have been with a good ten day’s planning either. He had used her name too, her true name! No one knew that in Nyka beyond Ximal, Apos and Neilles – none of them would betray her, she knew that without doubt. Neilles had come very close indeed but had redeemed herself in that regard. No...this was someone else. A god? No...he wouldn’t have fought her or spoken as if they had met long ago.

Yet his face is far from familiar. He certainly hasn’t spent time with me in the past, I have a good memory of those with weapon as known how to use them. What in the name of Ivak’s flames is he? Who is he? Is it a he? she thought frantically as she finally eased herself back into a standing position.

“Indeed, well you could ahve knocked and had a wheat beer with me rather than fight. I don’t mind a good drink, could certainly do with one right now. Stabbings are not considered good meetings” she responded, mostly reacting out of conditioning than anything else. She looked the man up and down, sat upon her bed – her and Revy’s bed – and tried to force away the anger she felt at that.

Wait...there! I know those daggers! They were on...Evalin and...Neilles. No, it can’t be! He was travelling but last he knew Syliras was the location! Neilles didn’t mention it but...it makes sense. Morphing with her body...that cocky, self-assured...the bastard! her mind went through the motions, sought out the reasons it could not be so and still retained the same conclusion.

“Still,” she began again as she held her waist to stop the bleeding, small as it was, and sat down within the chair, “I suppose I can’t expect anything less from you..Shroud. Come now...Ana’s body...same weapons. A penchant for assault. Yes...it can’t be anyone else. Clever, very clever” she had to smile at that, his use of disguise had been almost perfect, only those who looked closely and knew a few things about the past of the Crimson Edge would have noticed. She knew good work when she saw it.

“What are you doing here Shroud? I like to test my skills but in a city where they’d as soon as kill a foreigner than help them why come for me? Why pick me? You didn’t even like me. I’d have thought you’d have gone and snuck into Ana’s rooms. She’s less likely to try and kill you from what I’ve heard” she managed a chuckle at that, she wondered if he guessed at how much had been revealed about him – if he would kill to take it back perhaps.

She eyed him warily.

“Don’t pretend like you came all this way for little old me. I don’t buy it and you don’t expect me to. Neither do you expect me to accept your reappearance, assault and casual sitting upon my bed,” she told him, meeting the strange eyes of one she had never seen but had always known with a stony gaze, “what do you want Shroud?” she snapped at him, finally letting go of her side with the last trickles of blood being clotted.

She pulled a dagger from her boot and rested it upon the thigh, tilting her head as she continued to regard him.

“Insurance...you understand” was all she stated by way of explanation.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Wrenmae on April 4th, 2013, 4:12 am

"Ah, Zandelia," the stranger said with a grin, leaning over his legs as if swallowing laughter, "Oh to find conspiracy in every face, every purpose. I am no ghost of your Crimson Edge. Shroud died in Sunberth, with Mok, Musca, Eryss, Roka..." he trailed off, his fingers dancing to a tune only he could hear. It was not yet time to be straight with her, and technically...he wasn't lying. The man she'd come to know as Shroud was no more, cursed away by Rhysol. Beneath his sleeve, his skin darkened, turned bright red, lengthened into a shape he'd see on every Daggerhand, the red dagger.

He pulled up the sleeve, showing her the tattoo, briefly enough for her to see it, recognize it, know it, before he pulled it down again. "We know you and your little band of petchers. I don't wear my mark on my hand like the rest, you might call me a secret member."

Grinning, he clapped both hands together, holding them up open palmed. "Don't worry, all the top brass of the Crimson Edge are dead...all save you. With that, your entire mercenary outfit is considered neutralized. I was...told to kill you if I found you, end it for good. But I have the choice on who lives or dies...so tell me,"

He took a breath,

"Are you more useful alive, or dead?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Ana Sol Starris on April 4th, 2013, 6:35 am

People were rarely awake at this time of night, but what was most rare was a lightly dozed off thief, snoring quietly as her mind was half attached to the world around her. Dagger hidden in the sling at the ready to be pulled out at any given moment, and the cane close to her side, she never let it stay farther away from herself than an arms length. It was an awkward sleep, but one nonetheless, as if the branding, and the recent coma had put her internal clock on the right path to recovery. Maybe all the stress and pain had been exactly what she needed. No one would ever know for sure, not even Ana, she took it in stride and went along with it. It was nice being able to rest for once, it would have been great if she had been a deep sleeper to boot- but alas she was not. Something shook her out of her light slumber.

More like it alerted her to wake up, a ruckus was going about and the sharp shutting of a door had been enough to drag her from a vague dream land. Sitting up and grasping the canes hooked handle and getting out of bed, she awkwardly opened the door and caught the handle by the hook to pull it shut as she stepped outside. Wholly mindful of that awful screech its hinges could make, for not being in the Hostel for seven days, she was still familliar with how the building and her room worked. There was always a scarf around her neck, but no purple jacket, boots, or belt, she was casually attired and most likely wouldn't be ready for anything thrown at her any ways. So what did it matter? Ana flittered across the floor towards the sound of trouble, brewing, and toiling, she wondered what was going on- curiousity piqued.

The trouble had been coming from Zandelia's room, oh great, another thing with Revy? Ana was just about ready to turn away when she heard muffled voices, light, but not enough to make out any words- all Ana knew it didn't sound like that stupid mercenary woman.. Or maybe Revy had finally embraced the inner man within and was letting it shine like a star up in a clearless night. Creeping closer to Zandelia's shut door, she could see the tell tale sign of light from the crack underneath the door peeking out. Interesting.. Ana leaned closer to the door to place a curious ear against it, taking another step to get close and listen in on what was being said. Something about wheat beer, a fight, stabbing, she pulled herself away as she heard someone coming- most likely Vysia and Ana was right. The monk looked wary at the thief.

Ana waved at her to signal everything was fine, mouthing out the words 'love-making' and then making a stupidly grim face filled with disgust. It seemed to be enough, and the woman was hobbling away again, clearly exhasperated with what was possibly transpiring- at least Ana hadn't been shooed away. Nodding her head at Vysia's retreating form, Ana turned her attention back to eavesdropping; she had most likely missed a good chunk of the conversation just to ward off more trouble but it seemed to be worth it. Picking up possibly what sounded like 'Ana's room' and then it continued onwards, just the mere mention of Ana's name had been enough to keep her there thinking perhaps it had been Ximal having a go at her. If that had been the case, he had completely disregarded her words to not attack Zandelia.

Pursing her lips into a frown, something didn't feel right to her, it was just an inkling but the more she heard the more she was disliking it. Shroud rang in her ears, she knew that name- it was a person in Wren's head back from Sunberth, a terribly cruel person, but still a person that had helped shape her personality for the events that had came and passed. The conversation continued to get worse, horridly unimaginable, a worry and fear, as well as disbelief took her as she pressed harder against the door to drink in every word the man that was accused as Shroud was speaking. Shroud couldn't have died in Sunberth, if he died that meant Wrenmae had died, which also meant that Ana would have been sending letters to a ghost then. Or worse, she had been conversing with this person, or his accomplices.

oocLemme know if I should change anything. >.> Permission to join given by both Wren and Zand.
Ana Sol Starris
Sneak Thief

Words: 706912
Joined roleplay: January 11th, 2012, 3:27 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Zandelia on April 4th, 2013, 5:53 pm

As his words came, jaunty and mocking in their overtones of self-assured arrogance, her face darkened and her fingers gripped the dagger within their realm tightly. Knuckles whitened and a wrathful frown creased her brow, a the fires of desired vengeance sparked within her singular eye. She had known that they were dead, almost everyone from the Crimson Edge were now devoid of life, their sparks snuffed out by over-extended ambition and poor decisions. All in all she considered it for the best, it meant there was nothing to chain her to her ‘old’ life. Still, he dared to speak of the dead with such insensitivity and it irked her. He would, perhaps, see her reaction as surprise as he could have had little idea she already possessed letter to the same conclusion.

Very well Wrenmae…if that is whom you are, and I think so…you want to play with words then let us play. You are not the only one capable of doing so she told herself as she relaxed her fingers and came to the conclusion that it was better to play along than to antagonize – she couldn’t win a fight at any rate and they both knew it now.

“Ah, very clever to hide your mark in such a location. It would certainly deceive the ignorant and allow you to move without restriction” she responded to the showing of his red dagger tattoo, leaving out that there was no way in the Ukalas that a Daggerhand would have a tattoo there.

Still, there was a preciously scant number of facts that she could draw upon. She hadn’t known Shroud that well in Sunberth and the letters and references in Neilles’ journal had only served to flesh out some of the outer fringes of the man – nothing she had encountered so far had given her much about the core of his psychology, his motivators. Such things were crucial too in discerning someone in their entirety, to find the levers that made them move. She had but suspicions and he damned well knew it, he knew that she suspected. It was infuriating to think he treated her like a game, a puzzle to ponder out – much more so seeing as she was usually the one playing his role. Still, she had her own ways in this encounter.

“The fact that you are talented indeed is without question, I must admit my little Daggerhand. To have tracked us so ably, across treacherous terrain and by yourself too! Still…you have missed out one of the leaders in your list. Cade. You do not know he is not here with me, for all you know he could be coming here as we speak. That would go very…badly…for you” she continued, laying out her own small traps to seek out what intelligence the man before her really possessed.

“I suppose this makes my position in regards to your last question quite weak indeed,” she struck a melancholy musing tone then, as if considering how her life had just been torn to pieces, “after all…what could I offer when I have nothing left?” she lowered her head and a large, self-pitying sigh issued forth from her throat, her eyes closing as if mourning in the little time she might have had left to do so.

“You must want me terribly to come this far, yet I do not even know what I have done – what the others…did,” she wet for the informative approach, letting him feel in control enough to lecture and brag perhaps…he seemed the sort to enjoy it so, “and yet you offer me a deal rather than death, when I could do little to help Robern from Nyka too. An…interesting…approach that deserves explanation”

“Having said that though, you ask me if I am better alive or dead. That question cannot be answered unless you tell me what you would want of me. It is a matter of perspective, and desire. If you know foe m then you know what I can do…what I practiced for the Crimson Edge. That should be able to answer your question. Still…if I might die this evening there is no risk in telling me what you would plan to use me for?”

She finished her dialogue there, it was suitably full of half-answered questions and barbed prongs within which to snare some data for her own use. If the man before her had an agenda he would have to divulge at least a small portion of it to her – her words made sense after all as she could not answer him well without some…specifics.

Come then…let the bargaining begin. You must know how it works. You ask for something, I haggle…we settle. An accord is made. No one expects someone to do broker a deal with nothing to go upon she mused inside her head.

All the while she was watching him intently, trying to recall the mannerisms she had observed from so very long ago now. She would watch and see if any presented themselves, then perhaps she would get a better acknowledgement of her suspicions.

Zandelia
I Aim To Misbehave

Words: 1798131
Joined roleplay: September 23rd, 2011, 12:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)