Open [Icewatch barracks] Trader visits: Icewatch

Ronan visits the Icewatch barracks and sets up shop for the day.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Icewatch barracks] Trader visits: Icewatch

Postby Ronan Dugal on April 8th, 2013, 4:23 am

Spring, 12th, Year 513

With the horse in tow, Ronan pulled and pulled as the horse slowly made its way towards the Icewatch barracks. Here he was planning on making some really good deals. Fighters were usually not known to be good traders. Always too aggressive and thus also more easily manipulated since they got a few too many hits on the head, rendering them slightly stupid. This was, of course, wishful thinking on Ronan's part but it never hurt anyone to do so. With the horse right behind him and the guard dog near them, Ronan stopped near the entrance to the barracks. He was only a short distance away from the front doors. Tying his horse down, Ronan left the wagon of goods to the safety of the guard dog and the close proximity to the barracks. He walked over to the door of the building and spoke to the first Icewatch member he saw. "Excuse me, good man. I'm a trader from Syliras, Ronan Dugal, perhaps you've heard of me? Anyway, I come with Syliran goods and weapons for you and your fellow Icewatchers." The man obviously did not know what to say to that. "Is there some place I can set up shop inside? Or someone I can talk to to arrange for a sale?" At least now the man seemed to know what to do. Ronan got pointed in the direction of some Sairal of some sort, whatever that was.

Upon entering, Ronan was greeted by a slightly taller man who seemed to be twice as wide as Ronan due to all his muscles. "How can I help you?" Ronan repeated his question and offer and the man listened. "Sounds interesting. Whereabouts are your goods now?" - "Just outside, waiting. Is there some place I can set up shop for today? I think I got some very interesting items in my possession that your men might want to have a look at. Your men and women, apologies." Ronan smiled at the man as he finished talking. After a bit of back and forth, answering questions about where he was from and how his trip was, Ronan was allowed to set up shop in one of the training areas, since there was not really any rooms for shops. With the help of two guards the Sairal called, Ronan led the horse and wagon around to one of the training areas. There he set up shop in his wagon, under an overhanging roof to protect him from possible snowfall. He ordered his goods so that the swords, axe, knives and arrows were up front, followed by the leather he had, both garment and armor grade and the rest in the back, mostly out of sight but still visible.

The word spread quickly through the barracks of a Syliran trader having set up shop for the day, offering Syliran steel and an assortment of other items for sale. Not only the steel in his inventory drew the people but the possibility of hearing about the Syliran knights or any travel stories also sparked interest among the Icewatch.
"Focused? That's always the word you eccentric types love to use." ~ Miria

Ronan Dugal
Aspiring Merchant Prince.

Words: 288665
Joined roleplay: March 17th, 2013, 5:01 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronan Dugal on April 9th, 2013, 3:55 am

Ronan smiled and greeted the Icewatch guards with a friendly face. This was the spot where he would sell his weapons and he was going to make sure they all were kept happy from start to finish. "Good aftermorning, gentlemen, ladies. How are you this fine day." It was not really a fine day as it was cold and windy, as usual, but Ronan figured this was what passed as a fine day in Avanthal so he went with it. "I have a fine selection of Syliran steel available for your inspection, if you're interested." His limited Vantha speech kept him from using more colorful words, although the Vantha language more than made up for it on its own.

The guards-slash-customers smiled back and looked through his items, curious what he had for sale. It wasn't often they got their hands on Syliran steel or any steel for that matter. The men picked up the weapons and unsheathed them, inspecting them. "Please, do try them out. But try to keep them in one piece before buying them." Ronan laughed his trained, fake laugh, and the guards chuckled with him. They spoke with each other, weighing the weapons in their hand, checking the edge and grip of the weapons. The battle axe passed hands quickly as they all seemed to want to hold it at least once. "How much for this little baby?" One of the larger Avanthalian Icewatchers(?) asked. "14 golden Mizas and this fine piece of Syliran craftsmanship is yours." The man looked at Ronan, to the axe and back to Ronan. "That's a little expensive, could you cut down a little." Ronan seemed to sink into thought as he held his chin, looking through the man. "It is the same design as the Syliran knights use. I can assure you that it is quite effective in battle. I can sell it for... 12 golden Mizas and 5 silver Mizas." The man weighed the axe in his hands and turned it around to look at it from all angles. "12 golden Mizas and you have a deal." Ronan nodded and reached out his hand for a handshake, smiling at the tricked customer. "You got yourself a deal, my friend. 12 golden Mizas it is." The handshake sealed the deal and Ronan pocketed the 12 Golden Mizas.

"Because of your noble duty here in Avanthal and the fact that you're protecting the people here, which includes me, I'm willing to provide you with a discount on my wares, if you're interested. 12 Golden Mizas for the swords, that's a discount of Two Mizas just for you." Ronan managed to string along a few of them and after a little back and forth managed to sell two of the swords to his customers. "What's in the barrels?" Ronan turned his head to see two of the guards interested in his other wares. "Dried fruits and vegetables from the Syliran farms. They're still delicious and very healthy so I recommend them for anyone spending so much time in the cold." A smile and a chuckle answered his pitch, for the cold did not harm these people blessed by Morwen. "It's only 6 Silver Miza per pound and you can mix whatever you want from the barrel. I have apples, pears, cherries, apricots. You name it, I probably got it in there somewhere." Ronan opened the barrel up, revealing different bags, separating the different dried fruits and vegetables from each other. He pulled out some of the less common ones, like the apricots and peaches and showed them to the guards. There was interest in his wares, mostly due to the fact that fruit wasn't easy to find here, except for the little they grew at Winterflame. Ronan happily parted with 10 pounds, divided over the group of Icewatch members, an assortment of just about everything he had. So far, Ronan had made a total of 6 Golden Mizas from his dried goods and 36 Golden Mizas from his weapon sales. He was hoping things would continue like this the rest of the day.

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronan Dugal on April 12th, 2013, 7:55 am

Ronan met a lot of members of the Icewatch guard during the day. They came and went, spoke to Ronan about his wares, about his trip from Syliras and how things were outside of the snow. Ronan gladly spoke with these people, who saw it their duty to protect the other people in Avanthal. As far as he understood it, they did this voluntarily, no drafting, no laws that had them serve for so many years, nothing. They did it because they wanted to. "What are those colors for?" Ronan asked one of the Icewatchers upon seeing their different colored armbands as they grouped together near him. "This shows in which part of the Icewatch we are. There are eight different sections in the Icewatch, each with it's own duties and areas of expertise." He pointed at the brown colored armband around his arm. "I'm part of the Frostfawn branch, which means I get to patrol in and around Frostfawn hold and I'm part of the patrols outside of the hold, but within viewing distance of the city. If you get lost outside, we're the first branch people come to to find you." He grinned at Ronan and his friends. He pointed at some other guards, some part of his little group but most just walking around, looking at Ronan's wares or sparring on the field where Ronan was set up. "The yellow ones are the...royal guard, sorta speak. They're the Iceglaze branch. They patrol the palace and the gates so you've seen them before. The orange ones over there are from the Winterflame branch. They patrol the... places that are shared between holds. So Hold disputes are usually stopped by them."

One of his friends took over as the man sipped from his drink. "The Skyglow branch are the ones with the purple armbands. They take care of the prison. The blue ones are the Coolwater branch, the sea guards, they stick to the port and the ice outside. The white armbands are from the Whitevine branch. They don't have a regular spot but are always present in any of the other branches as medics." The man pointed to his own green armband. "I'm from the Snowsong branch. I take care of people like you, visitors and strangers, and answer their questions if they have any." He smirked at Ronan. "I didn't know there was such division in your hold. So every hold in the city has sort of their own section inside the Icewatch hold? That must be a lot of paperwork to handle all that, right?" The guards looked at him strangely and started laughing. Ronan laughed along with them. It didn't register to Ronan at the time that only seven of the eight sections had been named.

The guards moved on and Ronan attended to some of his customers. "Good afternoon, sir. You see anything you like?" Ronan spread his hands out over his wares, as if introducing them all to the customer. The man looked through his goods and, like so many other Avanthalians, inspected them closely like he was a master crafter. He was not so interested in the knives. "Are these arrows any good?" Ronan smiled at the man as he recalled a certain incident on the main marketplace a few days ago. "I can assure you that they are, good sir. They were hand tested by a woman from Avanthal after I arrived. She had the same question and seemed satisfied with the quality of my wares. If you want, you could try as well, see for yourself." The man agreed to that proposition and Ronan handed him one of the arrows. He took the longbow off of his back and put the arrow on it, quickly choosing a target, aiming and firing the arrow. The arrow hit with a thud as it penetrated the wood. "Mhmm, decent quality. How much are they?" Decent quality? Ronan mentally shook his head as he kept his smile. Some of these Avanthalians were really... Ugh! "Only 6 Copper Mizas per arrow. I'll make you a deal if you buy them in a set of twenty, only 1 Golden Miza for the set." Ronan smiled at the man as he rubbed his hands, the cold working on him. "Alright, I'll take forty arrows then." Ronan packed two sets of longbow arrows for the man and pocketed the money he received in return. As the man walked away with his arrows, Ronan went to retrieve the arrow shot at the wood, constantly keeping an eye on his wares.

Ronan Dugal

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Noblesse on April 22nd, 2013, 6:27 pm

Ronan Dugal :
Experience:
  • Negotiation +1
  • Persuasion +2
  • Acting +1
  • Rhetoric +1
  • Interrogation +1

Lores:
  • Fighters Are Usually Not Good Traders
  • Selling Your Goods to Icewatch Members
  • The Eight Branches of Icewatch
  • Icewatch Members Are Assigned Colors Per Branch

Other:
    Ledger: You gained 12 gold mizas for selling one of your steel battleaxes, 6 gold mizas for three bags of unusual dried foods, 24 gold mizas for two of your steel swords, and 2 gold mizas for two sets of your longbow arrows. Earning a sum of 44 gold mizas for this thread, your total money is now 97 gold mizas and 8 silver mizas.

Notes:
Hurrah, this is the third of your threads that I graded! Anyway, it’s sad that no PC got to join you in this thread, but visits to the barracks by non-Icewatch members are not very common to begin with. That portion where a guard shared the branches tidbit was a nice touch, I think. The Vantha can be chatty people when the mood hits them so it’s not unusual for one to strike up a conversation even with foreigners.

Short but straight to the point money-making thread. :)

True nobility lies in being superior to your former self
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. Heehee.
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office