Closed The Dark of a Zith Night

Rayage has a little problem with the Zith she just acquired. She needs it obedience and sets out to obtain just that.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Rayage on May 6th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Spring 11 513 AV

The sound of quill scratching on paper could be heard for but a second as the nuit moved the object around on the parchment in front of her. She had been taken notes on a book she had borrowed from the library. The subject was about Hypnotism. She wanted to look into more advanced techniques; especially the mention of a trance from Wrenmae piqued her interest. She wanted to know what a trance could do, and extend her power even further. However the silence which existed in the lab at the moment was only momentary, as it had been since she had obtained the zith. It had been loud and oh quite obnoxious when she needed to think and concentrate. It was really wearing on her, and she had tried to explain to the creature several times over that it could not break the chains of its restraints alone, nor did it have the physical might to break out of the cage which it was stationed in. Even if it did, somehow, the zith would not get far at all before captured again. It was futile. However, the thing still tried and tried and tried, wasting its energy, but for that Rayage had to respect it. The zith had a strong will. All the more fun to break it down…

With this knowledge she thought that she could finally break the zith by putting it under in a trance state. She was eager to try it out, but so far had no experience producing it, and the zith, logically, should not be the first subject she tries her new technique on. She needed another, another one to practice on. Ones which might resist her were not ideal, as she needed practice putting someone under first and foremost instead of subduing the target and then inducing a trance state.

It was a shame that such a beautiful creature could be such a pain in the butt. She really admired the ziths ferocity, and that is why she had not, yet, resorted to violence to break it. There were other means than strength to secure dominance over something, and that was the sheer power of the mind, and the bending of perception. Method, oftentimes, is more important than strength itself, and even when one had strength, such as the zith, it often times needs directing else that strength will go to waste and the person will not really bloom into who they are meant to be.

A quick look over the zith one could see marks and blood from where it had been throwing itself against the cage, and where the shackles were biting into him because he resisted so much. It was a shame, and she did not want to lose such a prize at all. Once she tames this beast she will get him inspected and treated, certainly. Or perhaps she would do it herself.
x
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Miro on May 10th, 2013, 5:08 am

Lately there had been something awesome in Rayage's lab. See, Lab 45E had always contained secretive and epic Alchemy supplies and creations, but this was different. Much like the previous H1-A and H2-A, this was actually alive. And it made quite a ruckus. A large cage covered by a cloth, whatever it was, it was wild. The Reimancer had tried to sneak a peak at it, but when he attempted to peer into the tattered cloth, he realized why it was full of rips. A clawed arm shot out and attempted to snatch at Miro. And with this knowledge in mind, he would go in there and demand knowledge of it. Or better yet, get a good look at it with no babysitter in the lab. There was no use in hiding secrets, for a crafty wizard always got his way.

That was what brought him to the large metal doors that concealed the secrets. The wizard held his ear to the door and directed his Djed flux to his ear, increasing its sensitivity. He listened carefully for a moment, and inside the familiar creature clatter could be heard, but not the Nuit. This was a good sign. Hopefully it meant that he was out, and that the laboratory was free to be snooped through. Miro released his Flux spell and carefully creaked open one of the doors and slunk in.

Well, Rayage was there, which caught the undead by surprise. He for some reason felt had to act fast and cover his tracks of sneaking in. "Ah, Rayage, I have been expecting you." That was not quite what he had in mind, and it did not seem to make sense. But, it was often enough that something odd came from Miro. He had made awkward comments enough that he thought he could play it off. "I know what you are doing in here, and I am here to assist you. There is no use hiding it, and no getting rid of me."

But he was not sure that Rayage was doing anything here. What he hoped to find was that he was experimenting on the creature, improving its alchemical composition. Some new addition, for his research had seemed to come a long way since the scaled dog and furred lizard. This creature seemed to have the best of both worlds, so to speak. Not only that, but much, much more. Ender however was perhaps the most confused. "What is it you are playing at here? Are you keeping something from me? Oh no, he is making you do it, isn't he? Don't listen to him Miro, tell me. It will only benefit us both." Miro only gave an annoyed shake of disapproval. The Irylid was growing more needy by the day.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Rayage on May 22nd, 2013, 12:58 pm

A voice broke her from her musing, and drew her attention to the entrance of her lab. She couldn’t keep him out even if she tried, even if she mastered shielding she still doubted that it would hold against the boys power. ”You have been expecting me in my own lab?” she asked, her voice deadpan and un-amused.

A moment of silent observation passed and the nuit had a plan to put this little intrusion to use after all, ”If you know what I am up to, then you wouldn’t mind helping me with my project?” she asked him, ”It’s very important.” she said calling upon her djed, the inner power of the alchemist mixing with her words to develop an emotional response: That of importance, to feel like one can be of great use, but also mingling with that self-assured importance was a small swelling of pride, the kind that told the feeler that he is the only one who could do this. Stroking the kids ego could go a long ways if one was careful with it.

Rayage continued on, ”The newest specimen that I have won is a little out of control.” she mentioned to the cage where the zith was sleeping, ”I have been informed that this creature is called a Zith, and that they are, for lack of better term, feral. However, what interests me in them is one of two things: their ability to fly –their wings-, and that such a pitiful thing can think and talk almost like you and I. They possess an intelligence despite their savage looks.” She observed the thing, tangled in the chained shackles, and it’s almost naked appearance. The beast only wearing but a small loin cloth, and that was provided. When it had arrived here it had nothing. If Ray can tame it, then perhaps she could make it more civilized.

”I want to tame this creature.” Ray said boldly, ”And I want you to help me.” she said, marking the page of the book she was on before closing it shut. ”There is a technique in hypnotism that I wish to try out. However, not having done it before, I would not like the zith to be the first to experience this. This technique is called ‘Trance’, and it is supposed to do a lot of things.” she went on, ”Such as make the participant more susceptible to hypnotism, to even rediscovering past lives.” she announced, ”Even aid in the recovery of forgotten memories.” she said, her voice lowering to a whisper. ”Seems useful, no?’ she asked, eyeing Miro, watching him for a response.
x
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Miro on May 30th, 2013, 3:08 am

Miro was quick to nod after being questioned about his choice of words. He walked up to the Nuit's side and listened to him involve his guest ever so quickly. He started with how important it was, a good sign indeed. Even better when it was what the Reimancer had so eagerly been awaiting unveiling. A Zith, a savage, feral out of control beast with wings. They were apparently intelligent as well as ferocious, which was interesting. And Rayage had the right idea too. He wanted to tame it, and he came to the right partner with this. Not only the right partner, but the right tool as well. Hypnotism was the best way to condition the mind, and along with proper breaking techniques, it would be a breeze. Fun too.

The resident Hypnotist of Lab 45-E however was a bit more talented than his guest. He spoke of some advanced technique known as a trance, which came with a lot of promises. It was quite the impressive claim. And when paired with their progress previously made, it stood to make an excellent addition. By loading a sigil with several Hypnotism spells to work together in conditioning was great on its own. That much magic on the mind at once held a greater weight, less subtle, but better able to overwhelm. If the target is better suited to take conditioning, and then is overwhelmed, the outcome is obvious. The glyph would just need to focus on taming the creature. But getting something to obey is not an easy thing to accomplish. Generally though there are two ways. Befriend or break. Breaking was always a personal favorite of Miro, but the Zith was not his toy to break.

"I understand you should want to test it out on a willing subject. But do remember my technique demonstrated to you. A load of Hypnotism in a glyph unloaded at once can have a great effect on the mind. If amplified by your trance, the effect should be more pronounced. Perhaps in permanence or magnitude. That being said, it is the perfect way to manipulate something. And I am not something to be manipulated. If you wish to test it on me, I will prepare a sigil to be used while you make use of your technique. Make this promise to me and I am willing. I will do whatever you ask of me to assist. Give me directions, I'll prepare my Glyphing and then test the effect. Afterwards we will discuss how to apply this to our winged pet."

It was a lot to trust Rayage with, but enough that Miro would accept. However he knew his partner never would. "I am not accepting this. He can not be trusted, and he will take advantage of the situation. How do you know that this isn't you surrendering your mind? How do you know that he did not plan this from the start? I can not allow you to be put at his mercy." And of course his master could only grin. "Why would I allow this? Simple, I would not. He is going to Hypnotize me with a conditioning I prepared. Even if I am under the control of his manipulation, you will not be. While I am being tested on, you shall guard me. You have enough of my magic to defend us, don't you?" And it would be the perfect chance for Ender to find reason to kill Rayage without intervention from his master.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Rayage on May 25th, 2014, 3:19 am

“Very well,” the nuit agreed to this all too eagerly, ”prepare your glyph. Ill prepare on my end.” she said simply, returning to her reading of the book while the younger wizard prepared the effect.

When Miro was done she smiled at him, ”Ready?” she asked, having beforehand grabbed another chair and dragged it across the lab to sit right in front of her. She gestured for the boy to sit before her. It wasn’t the most comfortable chair, being entirely made of wood, but it would do for its purpose. Once he sat the wizard took a moment to prepare herself and what she was going to do. Though in that moment she planned and it would take fruition.

Reaching out she held her hand out waiting for the glyph to be delivered to her. It contained the ‘test’ spell that she would send at Miro once he was tranced. Placing it in her lap she locked eyes with Miro and smiled gently, ”Ok, Miro, I need you to relax.” she began drawing on her djed, like a crystal still lake, she disturbed it by throwing in a pebble, causing rippled within her very being. Drawing from that rippling energy she poured meaning into her spoken words. Her voice took a softer, calmer tone than normal, and her last word ‘relax’ was spiked with an emotional response of calmness.

”I need you to close your eyes and relax” she told him, her words being paced slowly, again extra hypnotic meaning on the word ‘relax’, ”let yourself drift in the darkness you find yourself in, and follow along to my voice. Let your mind rest, let your body rest, let your soul rest. Put away those thoughts of magic and might, and be still.” at the word ‘still’ another emotional response of calmness was placed in.

”Passively follow this new dark world and listen, focus, on the sound of my voice.”

A short pause, ”Now, Miro, I am going to count from ten to zero. With the passing of each number you are getting more and more relaxed, more and more passive. Once I hit zero you will be in a hypnotic trance.” She explained it to the now relaxing Miro.

”Ten…” She started the count.

”Nine.” She paused for a moment, ”You are going deeper and deeper, relaxing more and more.” Her words were drenched in djed, hypnotism filling them to etch the words in the subconscious mind. The words becoming a suggestion.

”Eight.”

”Seven. You are feeling deeply relaxed, your mind has slowed, and your body is physically relaxing.” Another suggestion was placed within the wizards mind.

”Six.”

”Five. Halfway there. You are even more relaxed, you are more relaxed than you have ever been in quite some time even.” The wizard noted, her voice guiding the wizard with another suggestion. Dragging him deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole.

”Four.”

”Three. Almost there.”

”Two.”

”One. You are now in a hypnotic trance.” The wizard affirmed, drawing upon past ideas which she had implanted into the boy, and placing a final suggestion within the young wizard.

”Miro, how do you feel?” she asked.
x

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Miro on May 25th, 2014, 5:42 am

Miro took the supplies he needed and found a secluded area to work. All he needed to begin was a scroll, a brush and some paint. The inspiration came naturally, as he had already an idea of what he would do. Since this would be used on him, it would just reinforce positive ideas. Or to discourage himself from listening to Rayage and revealing his information. That was the only thing he was unsure of. He wanted to test the technique, but feared for his secrets.

That was all to come later however. The principle idea in this was to create a certain type of sigil that could combine several spells into a grander effect. It was a tricky technique, but it could be done in a number of ways. A design came to mind, but it took a while to work out a few specifics. After a chime or so, he had it all set. There was naught left to do but to draw.

The wizard laid himself down before the opened scroll and kicked his feet and hummed as he worked. The first thing he drew was a set of three large circles. He then worked to connect these circles by making lines to run along the top and bottom of them, across all three. Then, between the outer circles and the inner ones, he created two more parallel lines to create three sections.

The top and bottom sections between these runes would become barriers, making the center line a path for Djed. The Glypher toyed with a new technique, to use words charged with meaning as runes. He wrote the elaborate calligraphic phrase in each of the barrier spaces, "Written word, a wall of Djed against Djed." It was a nice little phrase, and each of the letters were fancily designed to take up a deal of space.

Next came the outer circles themselves, these to be a combination of focuses. Miro drew a ring inside of each circle and decorated it with a pattern of alternating diamonds and triangles. These were tasked as barriers to contain the spells. The insides of the circles were split into four by two intersecting lines, and the insides of the triangular shapes were drawn tasked as focuses. A wavy line designed to stem off and swirl about filled in each of them.

Now all that was left was the center circle, one of the most important parts of the scroll. The wizard drew another ring here, but divided it in half with two small lines. Again he tested this new technique of using empowered words, this time tasked as switches. The left read, "Words woven into wills," while the right read, "Emotions intertwined to influence."

In the center of the switches another ring was drawn, another switch to combine the effects. It read, "Words and emotions together, the heart and tongue as one." Finally in the center of this was a focus to release the combined magic. It was drawn as a lotus in full bloom, a reminder of the origin of the technique.

There was but one thing left to finish this was a trigger to grant the ability to release the magic. Miro drew a triangle with three inverted triangles within it. It caused several smaller triangles to be made as a result, which was quite the site to him. He tasked it as a trigger to release the containing barriers that contained the focuses. The condition of its release was for Rayage to speak the word, "release."

Now that the scroll itself was finished, all that was left was to actually fill it. As the switches hinted, the left side would be for suggestions while the right held emotional responses. Miro touched each of the focuses on the right side and filled them with spells. For the emotional responses, they were that of calmness, happiness, confidence and trust. He decided he would put trust in Rayage's hands.

Hopefully he would not come to regret it too. He would put in a slight contingency in this. He touched the focuses on the left and implanted spells to them as suggestions. "You are at peace, nothing can harm you, listen to Rayages words, remember all that happens." It was a way to ensure that nothing could be done to him, and that he would have some chance at remembering if anything was attempted.

The scroll was handed to the Nuit with the instructions of how to use it. "Just hold the center circle to me and speak the command word. It is release, but must be said by you. So do not say it until you are ready. And do make sure the paint is dry before then." And he readied himself in the chair, eager to begin. It was kind of exciting, but nerve wracking as well.

The hypnotic process began, and Miro closed his eyes to listen. It was calming, kinda of nice, really relaxing. To listen to the words, it was comforting. Surprisingly so even, for the wizard began to feel his mind fading. His head began to slump down, and all he could remain focused on was the counting. By the time it got to one his conscious mind had faded. He responded to Rayage's question in monotone, "I feel relaxed..."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Rayage on May 25th, 2014, 6:10 am

”Good.” Rayage responded almost automatically to Miros response, ”Now, Miro, I’m going to ask you some questions, is that ok?” Rayage asked, not yet using the glyph. She would use it, eventually, but not right away. She wanted to see what she could drag out of the boy while under her influence without his familiar intervening. Her words were once more laced with toxic djed threatening to infect Miro’s mind, ’It’s ok’, was the suggestion she planted. She would wait for a response from Miro, a positive or negative response.

If she got a positive response she would nod, ”Ok, Miro,” she was sure to address the boy directly, ”I want you to think back, think back really far. I want you to picture for me your happiest memory.” Rayage said with a sly smile, ”Can you see it?” she asked, ”You can.” she affirmed, the sentence also being a suggestion hypnotically planted.

”What’s happening? Where are you? What are you doing? Are you with anybody? Can you describe it to me?” she asked in a sinfully sweet voice. She just wanted a glimpse the mind of this wizard. Just a glimpse, or so she told herself, reassured herself.
x

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Miro on May 25th, 2014, 6:36 am

Miro's mind was caught between sleep and consciousness, only aware of the Hypnotist before him. He was asked if it was okay if some questions were asked. The soft and inviting voice, he wanted to please them. "It's okay," he responded softly. His own voice did not register to him, and he was not aware at all of what he said. The response was automatic, with no filter at all.

The voice continued on with its instruction. This time it was to think of happiest memory. A flash of it came to mind, and he was asked if he could see it. He responded, "Mmm," and the man assured him he could. The tranced wizard repeated, "I can." It caused a soft smile to appear on his face. The darkness of the room faded and he found himself elsewhere in time and space.

Again the voice prodded him, this time for details. It asked him where he was, what happened, what he was doing, who he was with, to describe it all. Miro spoke in a soft yet joyful voice to the Hypnotist. "I am camping with my best friend Kinneas. It is late and the moon is out. A nice cold night. Kinneas is cold, but he let the fire die down for me."

It was a night long ago with a friend he hadn't seen in years. The wizard was but a child then. "Kinneas and I are talking to pass the time. Neither of us are ready to sleep. We are just laying there in our sleeping bags staring up at the sky. I had told him I was upset, how I missed my mother. How much she loved nights like these. He's telling me something."

The Reimancer's voice started to tremble a bit as he spoke. "Kinneas tells me that I am the best thing that has ever happened to him. That the gods have a plan for us all. He tells me that death isn't the end of the journey, just a new beginning, and that I shouldn't be sad anymore. He says someday I might meet my mom again in her next life. He says that I just need to be sure that when next we meet I am a man she can be proud of. Proud of me like he is."

Miro sounded as if he started to sob a bit, but still held a smirk. It was a day long ago in the wilds of Kalea. All the years the two spent together, they grew close. There was nothing in this world that made the young wizard happier than the people who helped him to get to where he was. They brought him pride, and they showed him the best in him, even when he could not.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Rayage on May 25th, 2014, 6:55 am

Rayage smiled at the details. Kinneas. There was a name he hadn’t heard Miro mention in a while, and he was someone important to the wizard. Rayage already knew that much, but the memory was small, but significant enough to qualify as his happiest. Kinneas had inspired hope within Miro.

”It’s ok, Miro, I am here with you.” Rayage told him.

”Do you think that the gods do have plans for us all?” she asked, very interested in the wizards unfiltered point of view of things. Her eyes were fixated on the tranced wizard, totally ignoring the constant presence of his familiar. She was watching him for emotions, reactions to her words, to her magic.

She would listen to his answer, smiling and offering a slight emotional response of happiness and trust, pushing those emotions into the malleable mind of the wizard, ”Miro I need you to focus again for me, ok?” Rayage asked, ”What I am about to ask you will be difficult to answer.” Rayage prepared him sending waves of trust his way in the form of an emotional response, ”but you can trust me.” Rayage told him, pausing.

She was pushing the boundaries but she wanted to see if she couldn’t get a glimpse into the fears of the wizard, ”What, Miro, what are you most afraid of?” she asked, ”It’s ok.” Rayage told him, placing a hand on his shoulder, ”I am here.” she reaffirmed to him, ”and nothing can hurt you.” she told him, turning her words into a suggestion with the emotional response of confidence attached to it. She was here and he was confident.

”Can you tell me of your fears?” she asked with a cynical smile across her face. Her djed was wearing thin, she couldnt cast much longer. She would have to, unfortunately, end this session soon. She frowned at the thought. Hopefully she could get what she needed from him before that time.
x

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

The Dark of a Zith Night

Postby Miro on May 25th, 2014, 7:19 am

Miro listened to for the Hypnotist to guide him further. The wizard's mind was still in the camp with Kinneas though, staring at the stars and moon. The voice spoke, and elicited an excited response. "Of course the gods have a plan for us! Lhex has stories written about us all. Some of us are heroes and some are villains. Most are forgotten, but the most special are remembered forever. I want to be a hero, to have everyone remember me for my great deeds."

But then he was told that he needed to focus again. He replied, "Okay," and the camp vanished from his mind. The voice told him it might be difficult, but to have trust. "I trust you," he replied without any hesitation. He was asked what he was most afraid of, and was told it was okay, he was not alone, nothing could hurt him. "Alright, I'll tell you," he said with a tinge of remorse.

It was a difficult thing to answer properly. There were many things the wizard feared. At first he answered, "I am terrified of spiders," but then changed his answer, "But there is something that scares me more." It was something that was hard to put into words. "I am afraid of being lonely. I am afraid of everyone leaving me. I fear I am terrible, that I'll scare everybody away. Nobody will want me."

It was something that started after Miro had taken his mothers life. He had been left alone because of his mistakes. Then after he lost Kinneas, he blamed himself for that too. Kinneas had died trying to find Miro. Now with how Ender felt about him, it kept the wizard's fear alive. Fear built up inside of him and he spoke in a timid voice, "Please don't leave me too."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next