Silverbite's Prowlers

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This subforum is for small businesses that do not require extensive subforums for organization. These Small Business Sheets are simply posted records of what a business is for, its expenses, its debt and the profit it makes.

Silverbite's Prowlers

Postby Adrienna Lynint on May 23rd, 2013, 2:05 am

Silverbite's Prowlers
Business Type: Goods
Items Sold:
Crocodile, young adult - 150 gm
Snake, young, non-venomous - 10 gm
Snake, adult, non-venomous - 50 gm
Caiman, young adult -100 gm
Alligator, young adult - 50 gm
Toad - 5 sm
Frog - 2 sm
Salamander - 2 sm
Mice - 5 cm
Cage, large - 25 gm
Cage, medium - 10 gm
Cage, small - 5 gm
Medium-sized Leash - 1 gm

Base Income: Animal Handler, 5gm/day
Skill Bonus: Competent Animal Husbandry, 2gm/day
Sales Bonus: +20%, 1gm
Employee: Novice Groom, -slave, -135gm/season
Income: 8gm/day, 728gm/season - 135gm/season = 593gm/season
Assets:
Merchandise: 582.30 gm
Building Cost: Simple Shop x 2: 1200 gm
Good Shelf Set x 3: 6 gm
2 square foot Glass Cages x 8: 1600 gm
Simple Stables (partially flooded): 1000 gm
1 lb Raw Beef x 100: 400 gm
1 lb Insects: 5 cm
Full Grown Plants (Common) x 15: 15 gm
Full grown Plants (Uncommon) x 15: 75 gm
Flower pots (medium) x 30: 18 gm
Brazier (Elaborate) x 6: 6 gm
Fine lockbox: 20 gm

Total: 4922.35 gm
Debt Owed To: Lynint Family, Kenash
Miscellaneous: Supplier for animals as needed.

Note to the Gillar: Stables are for keeping crocodiles, caiman, and alligators. Glass cages I estimated the price based on the cost for 2x2x2 glass cages without lids, but I can go bigger because they are to hold the animals like salamanders and snakes on the shelves, which I assume are big enough to hold these cases. Because Adrienna has the skills to be a groom, I did not add a groom into her assets as she can double as both a groom and a shopkeep in her own store (I hope). Raw beef to feed the large predators, mice to feed the snakes, and insects to feed the small reptiles. I put a price for a pound of insects, although they will be dead and therefore unable to escape. I'm hoping that small and medium sized alligators and crocodiles will be acceptable with full knowledge of the danger involved in taking care of these predators. The meat is kind of to bait them so they can be captured and sold that way, and I'm hoping they won't be feral anyway and more used to human presence due to the character's habit of sticking around them for so long.

Additionally, I don't know if Adrienna can receive a sales bonus with Animal Husbandry because she has a Leadership skill and runs the store primarily. I doubled the cost for my animals when it came to Caiman, Alligator, and Crocodile because the store will keep two of each, one of each of which will get its own stall so they don't have to interact with one another. I decided to keep one of each the caiman, alligator, and crocodile so as to expand their stalls and to keep everything somewhat reasonable in terms of labour and handling. The other animals I multiplied by four for everything but snakes, which there are two of. And then there are eight mice.

Please, please, please let me know what can be fixed up about this.
Last edited by Adrienna Lynint on July 21st, 2014, 4:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Words: 65714
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 8:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Silverbite's Prowlers

Postby Gillar on June 24th, 2013, 3:16 am

An interesting idea for a pet store. It could work however there are a number of things that need to be addressed in order to get it all to fit together.

First, the animals themselves. As I'm sure you're aware of, over half of the listed animals are considered exotic to quite rare at best (for pet purchase). While there isn't a problem with that in itself, it does create a few problems. The market for these creatures is quite small and specialized especially considering the difficulty in training (there is no taming; master animal husbandry an exception) of such creatures. This is why they aren't listed on the Price List. Crocodilians and venomous snakes would require those wishing to own such creatures as pets to possess at least an L1 Animal Husbandry focused on either Crocodilians or venomous snakes.

This brings us to the list price for said animals. A young adult to adult crocodile, due to the danger in capturing, breeding and/or raising, would run 150 gm. A young one would be significantly less expensive at 10 gm. This creates a bit of a situation in that the market for a young (we are talking a couple feet long or so) crocodile would not be much of a hot seller because of time it takes for one to mature (10-15 years). That leaves young-adults (age of maturity) being the ones with the most market value with the most potential use. We then return to the difficulty of keeping one in captivity with the intent to sell as a pet. The cost to keep ONE healthy and alive along with the skill and labor to prepare it for life as a pet, the latter part of that being the most difficult, is extensive.

A caiman, obviously smaller than the crocodile, would still involve similar issues such as limited market appeal and potential however cost and labor would a little less though so would list price. We are looking at 100 gm for a young-adult to adult with young (a foot long or so; give or take a few inches) being 1 gm.

Alligators, again, fall under the same ideas of labor and difficulty selling with a young-adult to adult costing 50 gm and a young (1.5 foot or so average) going for around 5 gm.

Moving on to the snakes, I will try and get a more detailed listing of some sample snake breeds in for greater depth in the price list in a few moments following this posting but they too will fall into similar pricing structures with young snakes being around 10 gm or so (give or take a few mizas depending on breed). Young-adult to adult are going to be rather expensive in a way similar to the crocodilians with venom type and effects modifying the costs in a potentially significant way. It will also be noted in the price list that venomous snakes are quite rare to find for purchase thus their high cost.

What does this mean for you and your shop you may ask. First, it means that you will indeed have to have a groom to tend to all these creatures since, even if you were to have your character spend their entire time tending to this business (no time for much of anything else), you would still end up needing help unless you are only going to be keeping one of each type of crocodilian for sale at any one time. The issues here are that you can't simply go out and buy a pound of insects or a pound of mice and the 100 lbs of raw meat also needs to come from somewhere. That said, I realize that you only have to pay the upfront costs of these at the creation of the business, but the logistics of it all are still built-in. So, your groom may help tend to the feeding, cleaning, and general care of the animals but you will also have to figure out how to catch all the bugs and mice. This could be done by simply including somewhere in the write-up that you are paying someone to go out and catch all these things. That would be part of the initial asset cost (though it's not technically an asset on hand, it does clarify how you come about gaining the insect/rodent asset. You could of course breed your own insects/mice for food but this would add a much larger cost to the business in the form of more employees.

The rest of your list; pricing and assets look pretty good. Note that with only a single simple stables structure component, you will only be able to have up to 8 individual crocodilians for sale at one time (type and how many of each up to you). Multiple purchases of the stables component would add 8 more but would also require another groom for each additional stables component.

Now for income. While you may be a shopkeeper, the Leadership skill is primarily for businesses without a specialized skill requirement. Operating a place like what you have however will use your Animal Husbandry skill as the primary skill for determining income. The type of occupation used is the new Animal Handler listing I just put into the Income section of the Price List. Base Income for this is 5 gm. You get a Skill Bonus for Competent Animal Husbandry which is 1.5 rounded down of your base. So with the Skill Bonus, you are at 7 gm per day. While the limited market of the shop could be considered a flaw, I am going to say that because of the location and the uniqueness of the animals offered, you will get the 20% ownership/sales bonus. This leaves us at an 8 gm per day income. Because you will need a groom to help tend to the animals (-1 gm for a groom with L1 animal husbandry) this gives a final income of 7 gm per day.

Note that the single groom employee is sufficient since being the shopkeeper of such a business will require you to use your animal husbandry skill more than your leadership. The groom primarily feeds and cleans habitations where as your character will do most to all of the actual handling. If you were to want an employee to do most of that, you would have to pay an animal handler which would cost 5 gm for an L1 Animal Handler.

So the income should look like this:

Base Income: 5 gm
Skill Bonus: 2 gm
Sales Bonus: 1 gm
Employee Cost: 1 gm
Final Income: 7 gm / day or 630 gm per Season
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Silverbite's Prowlers

Postby Adrienna Lynint on June 24th, 2013, 9:47 am

Hey there, Gillar!

Okay, I added in the groom, the sales bonus, the skill bonus, and edited a few more things with the general assets and things for sale. I put in a supplier to gather such things as the meat, the mice, and the insects. I was wondering if I should pay for another person to capture the creatures being sold and what I should be list the up-front cost as, and also if 300 gm was enough for the supplier?

I removed one of each of the crocodilians, listed them as young adults, but kept the stables as is. This is because I was hoping I could have the stables changed around somewhat to have only three stalls with the same general surface area, allowing these crocodilians freedom of movement. I lessened the numbers because, as you pointed out, there is an incredible amount of difficulty in handling them and even just having one of each might be too difficult, for which I am immensely grateful for the groom's presence. Is one of each more acceptable? If not, I can remove it down to two or even just one crocodilian and have at it there.

Additionally, I removed the poisonous snakes entirely and increased how many of them were being kept (doubled) and upped the prices for them but for the young non-poisonous. I might have bitten off more than I could chew with those poisonous snakes at this time, although I wouldn't discount the opportunity to learn how to care for them in the future during roleplay.

Okay, I think I got everything down that I needed to get down. Hope it looks far better!

Edit: The groom is a slave. I asked Gossamer, and she said I may use a slave as an assistant in my business. Does this work with you? :)
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Silverbite's Prowlers

Postby Gillar on August 18th, 2013, 8:21 am

Looking good! I am approving it with a couple of notations. First, to answer questions. Regarding the capture of the creatures, resupplying a business is built into the whole concept from the beginning (the system assumes you have some means of resupplying your stock). This is why those who own businesses do not gain 100% profit from everything on their individual shop price lists and why profit is based more on skill than anything else. Expenses are a built-in element. That said, if you wanted to do something like offer a seasonal special involving a larger or more unique creature, you could devote one of your two seasonal job threads to capturing said unique creature and put it up for sale. This would likely hook you some xp for hunting and animal handling, the latter going toward increasing your overall profit.

You could also hire, in-thread, a hunter to capture said unique creature but this could get quite expensive. There would be the matter of paying the hunter's wage (modified by their skill level just like a PC) as well as however much they want to charge for the creature itself.

Next question answered; the supplier cost. You don't need to add the supplier because it isn't technically an asset. The supplier concept is part of the resupply element that I mentioned above.

Finally, the if Gossamer is approving the slave, then that is all up to her so it's fine with me. However, if you are using a slave and thus are not paying a seasonal income, you must in turn pay the living expenses for said slave. So, if you wish to maintain a poor lifestyle for your slave (not the worst one by far and quite common in Mizahar) it would cost .5 gm a day or 45 gm a season from your final income (you will need to note that in your business sheet as part of this approval). Keep in mind that if you want to maintain your sales bonus, you will have to do some in-thread shopkeeping especially with a business like this else your animals will suffer and your shop will inevitably shutdown. Otherwise, you may end up needing to hire another animal handler to pick up any slack (a groom has limited capabilities).
Gillar
Forging the World

Words: 1345407
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 6:44 pm
Race: Isur
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Silverbite's Prowlers

Postby Adrienna Lynint on August 29th, 2013, 5:16 am

Absolutely lovely! Thank you!

I am going to change some things, though, as I just realised there was a cap on the loan and that I went over it by... like a few hundred. I should be done my corrections pretty quickly, and I'll fix what you mentioned around as well. I'm going to keep expansion in mind, if business booms, and I am wholly accepting of the duties and responsibilities of this location.

Gotta get my croc on.

Thanks, again!
Adrienna Lynint
mother of the basilisk.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes