Unexpected Faces in Unfamiliar Places (Wanda)

The meeting of two girls from two very different worlds

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on May 25th, 2013, 8:01 pm

86th Day of Spring, 513AV...

On one of the walls encompassing the Syliran Fields, a figure sat, crouched over, beside a grazing horse. In the early morning light, which trickled slowly over the horizon, bathing the wall, girl and corn in a warm glow of promise, the field was silent and unmoving, save for the gentle sway from the crops. The slow arrival of birds at this early hour gave away the season of Spring. Or it would, if the still, cold air hadn’t already done so. Even the female had begun to appear as nothing more than a statue of sorts, over-looking the field as still as the stone that formed the wall upon which she was resting. Only her sodden brown locks and loosely fastened dress gave away her true nature, gracefully blowing slightly with the steady, crisp wind.

Pale blue eyes were locked on the crops in front of her, though they were still growing, some looked ripe enough, and she knew how easy it would be to reach dart into the field and take her pick of a few, nimble as she was. They wouldn't be missed, surely? But knowledge that a few guards of the Green Company had recently walked past her, and knew what she looked like, stopped her from making her move. It was not worth the risk to be caught, not now.

Surprisingly, however, the figure stirred. The wind shifted to push her hair away from her face, revealing a sight that was far from comforting. It might have been the light from the dull sky, or the dark and colourless clothing, but the woman’s pale complexion, though flawless, was a sickly pallor, her high cheek bones accentuating the gaunt expression in her eyes. Barely healed scars were visible; marks from having been branded, whipped and beaten, littered her arms and back, a few reaching her neck and marring her face. She was not pretty, nor could she be described as beautiful. The dried mud that caked her clothes, skin, and some of her face left no room for such a description.

Her gaze shifts as she hears the sleepy movements of workers arriving to the field, like clockwork every morning. The harsh sound of metal on metal reaches her ears as the man closest fumbles with his equipment - knives and such like, before continuing on his way. She watches him steadily, the silence of the dawn allowing the wind to carry the sound of the irregular splash punctuating his otherwise quiet footsteps every few paces as he does nothing to avoid the minefield of puddles that follow the nights of rain, so quintessential to Spring in Syliras. The man doesn’t look up, doesn’t look around to see the girl. Nor did she expect him to. As usual his shoulders are hunched, his head bowed and his knuckles decidedly white from his grip around his blade. The look was commonplace in the town, she thought; a defeated mind-set that had spread like wildfire through the small apartments.

Her eyes linger on the crop row down which the man turned. Though her chiselled features appeared to be void of any emotion, her eyes, chasms of life that they were, twinkled in the growing light. To anyone who ventured close enough, the blue orbs would have shown a severe, haunting depth beyond the female’s years. It was this that implied something distinctively wild about her gaze. Though maybe not beautiful, she was alluring to a fault, something that probably fueled her history.

A soft sigh escapes her at the knowledge that, soon, she would have to vacate her habitual night time haunt. With day break, the city, and its outlying fields would once again be bustling with life and Isalie made a point of avoiding contact with any citizens, lest they might take her for their own again. "
Come on, Shadow... " she whispers to the grazing horse behind her as she rises, taking his reigns. She strokes the creature's nose a few times, smiling softly. " We should move on. There's no food for us here. "
Last edited by Hope Dawnwhisper on May 26th, 2013, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper
The only way is not to play.

Words: 127742
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2013, 2:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wanda Endust on May 26th, 2013, 7:50 pm

The sun was hanging low in the sky, just barely grazing the golden fields below. It was something that Wanda -- ever cooped up inside the castle walls -- didn't get to see much of nowadays.

She was standing just outside of the city. A few travelers, workers, and guards milled about but, for the most part, it was quiet and calm. Ever since she was younger, Wanda made a habit of waking up early. Though recently it was more because she had something to do or somewhere to be, rather than for simple leisure. But today was about leisure.

Wanda traipsed along at an incredibly slow pace. The fresh, brisk breeze flowed across the open field, carrying a hint of the scent of water from the west. The girl flowed, too. Moving along, hugging the outside wall of civilization, she thought of nothing. This was a feat for Wanda -- more often than not, her mind was traveling at breakneck speed, flitting from one topic to the next.

Her hands were held behind her back, fingers interlaced. Smiling like a fool, she might have been mistaken for some kind of invalid if she'd been in town. But out here, no one could see her. Not that she worried about what others might think -- such a notion never crossed her mind in all her life. Rather, out here she felt free. It was a difficult feeling to describe. Wanda had always felt at home in the city, amongst the ever-changing tide of people. She liked the city. Out here, though, she felt a kind of connectedness to the rest of the world that was difficult to find underneath the high ceilings of Stormhold Castle.

Wanda had been walking for perhaps a quarter of a bell when she noticed a few workers making their way down the rows of crops. Her golden hair and flaxen skin, however, provided a nice little disguise underneath the light of the early morning sun, and they paid her no mind.

Had the girl been in her usual state of mind, she would have thought about how
The workers sure are dedicated to their jobs, being out here so early. They probably got up before I did. Then her mind would have flitted to how Those guards are dedicated too. I wonder what they eat for breakfast? Certainly something to keep their energy up. And then her stream of thought might have jumped to Oh! That's a pretty horse.

Too bad her mind was calm. Otherwise, she might have noticed said horse (and the rider too) before bouncing right into their path.

OOCHeh, I'm a little rusty. :)

Last edited by Wanda Endust on May 27th, 2013, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Words: 178647
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on May 26th, 2013, 9:19 pm

The young woman, having jumped onto the back of her horse, was lost in thought. Recently she had noticed how weak Shadow had seemed, wither through over riding or through malnutrition. If she was honest with herself, the same things were affecting her; she had noticed the change in her own strength and demeanor recently. Though her Masters had never fed her well, at least she didn't have to worry about her next meal. If she had been well behaved that day. Now? It was all pot luck. Every now and again she would glance behind her, to check if more guards were making more rounds.

Clearly not paying attention, she jolts forward on the horse's back, "
What? Shadow, wha-? Oh..." Twising and sliding off of the horse, she walks around the front, calming the creature as she does so, with gentle strokes. Once Shadow was calm, she turns back to the girl, looking her up and down. From her clothing, it wasn't clear whether she came from money or not. But the other girl was clean, and was well fed. She obviously wasn't some street urchin like Isalie.

"
I'm... I'm sorry about that. I don't know where I was." Smiling slightly, Isalie tries to make light of the situation. Maybe if she made it all better, the girl would forget her and Isalie could go on her way, as she had been doing for so long. The fewer who remembered her face, the better, was her mantra.

"
I'm..." She sighs, "I'm so sorry." Repeating her apology once again, she glances over the back of her horse to check for any guards or... just anyone else who would consider questioning why someone as filthy looking as her would be bothering a towns person. Turning back, she stares at the girl, truing to read her expression for any early warning that Isalie should jump on her horse and flee.

Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wanda Endust on May 27th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Zoned out as she was, Wanda froze with a start at the sound of heavy tramping. It sounded incredibly close. It was right in front of her. Oh.

Luckily for the young lady on the ground, the horse -- unlike its rider -- was attentive. He stopped short before Wanda could collide with his lanky limbs. She huffed in relief, gazing into the horse's face as he did hers. His right flank wobbled, and it occurred to Wanda that he looked incredibly weak and hungry. Not that she knew much about horses.

"What? Shadow, wha-? Oh..."

The rider looked to be in just as poor a condition, though. Perhaps even worse off than the horse. Wanda watched as the figure dismounted -- a girl, about her own age. Seeing the way the girl soothed her mount, Wanda also felt calmed. The feeling dissipated, however, when the girl turned to face her. Wanda had prepared a cheerful greeting, but was stricken silent. The girl may have been pretty, if her appearance wasn't marred by an unhappiness so deep that Wanda could not even begin to comprehend. Her face was sunken and sickly, checked with visible flesh wounds, some of which were not yet fully healed. And her hunger was all but totally overt.

Such a sight was foreign to Wanda. Save for a few beggars here and there (all of whom were in decidedly better condition than the girl that stood before her now), Syliras was generally free of poverty.

Wanda wanted so badly to just blurt something along the lines of "Aww, you poor thing...." But she did not feel like making enemies today, and the wild light in the girl's eyes told Wanda that a pitying reaction was not in her best interest.

"I'm... I'm sorry about that. I don't know where I was. I'm... I'm so sorry."

The girl's smile, awkward as it may have seemed, struck a chord in Wanda's heart.

"Don't worry about it," she chimed, returning the other girl's tight-lipped grin with a beaming one of her own. "It happens all the time, I'm sure. The sunrise is so beautiful that you just get caught up in it, right?" Wanda gave a sheepish shrug and a wink. "I'll admit, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going either."

The girl seemed uncomfortable and flighty, like she wanted nothing more than to simply disappear. In fact, the way she kept glancing around made Wanda feel like she was some kind of fugitive or something. Of course, if she were, she wouldn't be hanging around outside of the city.

But this girl had some kind of allure to her that made Wanda not want her to go. Besides, Wanda could tell that she was starving -- she was just skin and bones -- and she couldn't let someone in need just up and leave.

"Uh, anyway. Are you hungry?" Like she had to ask. "I don't have anything with me right now, but I could get you something at some tavern just inside the Gates..." She raised her eyebrows pleadingly, taking a quick peek at the horizon. Wanda needed to be getting back into town sometime soon. The sun was rising and so were the townspeople.
Last edited by Wanda Endust on May 30th, 2013, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on May 28th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Taken aback by the girl's apparently easy-going nature, Isalie blinks. The normal reaction from someone when a wandering homeless person like her got in another's way was often violent, whether it be physical or verbal. This was the first time in her memory that she was going to be rewarded for her carelessness with... food.

Her body was, against her will, already responding to the girl's offer; an audible rumble made its way through her stomach and she lifts a hand to rub at the origin, hoping it wouldn't make the sound again. The was one rational reason as to why Isalie should accept the girl's offer, but a million reasons why she should not, and the internal battle raged on inside her head as she just stood there. A glazed over expression appearing on her features, she probably looked to be retarded and uncomprehending in some way, but she didn't care.

You need to eat. No, no.. I'm not taking charity off of anyone. She'll feed you and then forget you. It will be fine. I can't go inside the city walls. Only just inside. It will only end badly...

At a gentle nudge to her shoulder, she comes out of her reverie, startled. Turning her head, she sees that Shadow was of the same mindset of half her brain. She scowls, Stupid horse. Running her fingers through the creature's matted mane, she turns back to the girl, surprised that she was still standing there "I thank you... I can't." She answers, her voice quiet and humble. No need to make an enemy here.

Isalie continues to watch the other girl, for some reason not yet willing to jump on Shadow's back and disappear. Nervously, she nibbles on her lower lip, which was already rough and dry from the harsh weather and her nervous habit. Tasting a few drops of blood trickle onto her tongue doesn't stop her though, and she mumbles out poorly formed excuses, "
It's Shadow, you see..." She gestures with her head to the horse, "I can't leave him. He's mine. And... well the city isn't a very... forgiving place. Not for people like me."

She attempts another smile, ignoring the second grumble her stomach makes. She could find something in the forest, she was sure. Or if she walked the city walls, she might happen across a small rodent. Now that Shadow had plenty of grass to eat, she was sure he could regain his strength. He was sickly even when she stole him, but he was a survivor. As was she. "
Sorry, Miss..." comes yet another apology from her lips, something that truly was second nature to her now.

"
I wish I coul-" sighing, she scrapes the hand not stroking Shadow through her hair in frustration as she cuts herself off. "Nevermind, I'm fine." Her final two words come out in Myrian, though. A gut reaction she had whenever she was offering vague, non-committal and often false statements like that. She doesn't even realise her change in language.
Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wanda Endust on May 28th, 2013, 7:24 pm

A small giggle escaped Wanda's mouth at the sound of the other girl's obvious hunger. Surely she wouldn't refuse?
I mean, really. She's obviously not been eating enough, Wanda said to herself. And I've never met anyone who refused a free meal.

Wanda watched as the girls expression grew taut. Clearly, she was not in the moment. The girl was subject to some kind of mental turmoil. Wanda's brow furrowed. Why was the girl having such a tough time of accepting her offer? Maybe the expression on her face wasn't turmoil. Maybe the girl's mind was simply a bit foggy?

Well, probably not. The girl had a certain kind of awareness about her. Still, hunger hindered some peoples' ability to think clearly. Perhaps that was it. Or perhaps not. Wanda had no way of knowing.

Maybe she really is a fugitive? Wanda thought, then refuted her self. No, of course not. If she were, she wouldn't be hanging around right outside of the city

And then a thought occurred to the young blonde as she examined the rider. "Are you worried about money?" she whispered, though no one was around to hear anyway. "'Cause you don't have to pay me back. Oh! Unless you want to, of course. I don't want you to feel like this is charity or something." But isn't that exactly what it was?

"It's Shadow, you see... I can't leave him. He's mine. And... well the city isn't a very... forgiving place. Not for people like me."

Wanda raised an eyebrow. People like her? She wasn't sure what that meant. Was she talking about her homelessness? Wanda shrugged.

"Sorry, Miss... I wish I coul--"

Crestfallen at the girl's repeated apology, Wanda prepared a response. But she stopped at the girl's sudden foreign utterance.
My, this lady really is strange she thought, and it occurred to her that the lanky brunette had probably seen more than Wanda would ever see in her entire lifetime.

"Huh?" she asked in reaction, then shook her head, getting back to what she had wanted to address. "Well, I'm sure he wouldn't be a problem," she said, gesturing the the girl's steed. Wanda would have reached out to pat his muzzle herself, but the horse was just out of arm's reach and she didn't want to spook either of the pair by moving closer. "Travelers need to do something with their horses when they come to the city, right? I'm sure we could find a place for him somewhere!" She offered a half-smile. Of course, she really didn't know anything about what people did with their horses. Probably put them in a stable somewhere?

"As for the whole 'forgiving' part..." she ran a hand through her own hair, "I've survived so far! Really the city's not as bad as you think."

Wanda just couldn't let this girl go without making sure she was alright. If she left her, the girl would probably die. Of that, Wanda was almost certain. No one could survive in the wilderness permanently. And Wanda just couldn't bear the guilt she'd feel if she didn't do everything she could to ensure the girl's safety.

"C'mon," she pleaded, "No one deserves to be alone."
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on May 30th, 2013, 6:06 pm

The sun was now much higher in the sky; the majority of workers were now out in the fields, the calming sound of their blades against the crops floated over to her ear and the girl turns to watch them for a moment, whilst she decides on the politest way to turn down the other's offer. Coming up blank, and finding it harder and harder to ignore the sounds and pain erupting from her stomach, she sighs and turns back.

"
Thank you, Miss..." she finally acquiesces with a slight incline of her head. Her arguments were pointless; no one would want to steal such a sickly looking horse like Shadow. And the girl still might be wrong with her statement about it being 'alright' in the city, but if Isalie was with someone who lived in the city, maybe she would be fine. At the very least, she hoped she could make a quick getaway if she was just within the city walls.

This girl seemed... Nice enough, anyway. And Isalie had kept herself to herself, not making nearly enough enemies in these lands for this to be an elaborate trap. "
I... I don't have any money..." As if that much wasn't obvious already, dressed and filthy as she was. Internally, she hates herself just that little bit more. And now the inferiority between her and I is out for the world to see. She's offering food, Isalie. Don't be stupid...

She continues to bite down on her lower lip as her hands now fiddle with the horse's reigns. She knew that she couldn't just accept free food with no way to pay her back...
You have skills. Skills from two very different ways of life. Offer to teach her something.. And admit what I am? She snorts at her internal monologue. Having spent so much of her time in her own company, even when she was a slave, it was standard for her to talk to herself. Weird, she knew, but it was who she had become now, all she had sometimes; Shadow was hardly the biggest talker.

"
I can work it off though?" she offers. That was something they did in the civilised world, right? It was something she knew, too. You work, you get fed. "Or... or... I have this knife?" Pulling out the small blade she had stolen two years ago, she shows the girl. It wasnt much, but it meant the world to her; it was a sign of her freedom, a sign of what she had achieved off her own back. She was loathe to give it up, but she would, if it meant that she no longer had to be in the debt of another.

At the sound of horses behind her, she once again glances over her shoulder. There she could see a pair of guards atop mounts. They were far enough away that she couldn't tell if they were the same from before, but they were guards, and that was enough for her tensions to rise. Fighting the urge to flee, she shifts on the balls of her feet, she turns back to the girl, a desperate plea evident in her eyes.

Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wanda Endust on May 31st, 2013, 5:03 pm

Wanda shifted. The sun, Syna, her deity, was rising higher. If she had to guess, Wanda would say it was probably a little past seven or eight bells by now. And, being nearly Summer, it was getting to be quite hot. She glanced at the other girl, fleetingly wondering how she could stand to keep her cloak on.

The sound of the girl's voice returned Wanda to the subject at hand.

"Thank you, Miss... I... I don't have any money... I can work it off though?

Or... or... I have this knife?"

"Why, that's alright! Most of us city folks don't have much either. Her eyes widened in distress. "Oh! Not that I don't have the money to feed you! I have plenty of mizas for food. Plenty." She wasn't entirely sure if that was true -- she hadn't checked to see how much money she had left in her coin purse. Probably around seventy gold mizas, she estimated. If that were right, then she definitely had enough to spend on a stranger's meal.

"As far as working it off..." Wanda acknowledged the girl's ragged and disheveled appearance. It told her that the girl had spent more than her fair share of nights alone in the wild. "Well, I'm planning on going somewhere -- traveling, I mean -- sometime. Likely not anytime soon, but you look like you're pretty seasoned in that kind of thing. So I guess you teach me a thing or two along those lines? she grinned. "And who knows, maybe I could teach you something too!"

She glanced down at the knife the girl had offered, cocking an eyebrow. "And, er, you can keep that." Wanda shrugged with a lop-sided smile, "Don't think I'd have any use for it!"

At the other girl's start, the blond girl leaned around to see what the other had noticed. Cheerfully noting a couple of guards, she gave a good morning wave. They were too far away for Wanda to tell whether or not she knew either of the pair, or even if they could see her gesture. Apparently they could, because one raised his own hand in a polite greeting.

Turning back to the stranger-girl, she was taken off guard by her expression.
"Oh, um, er. Let's be on our way then, I suppose?" She had no clue why someone so obviously not a criminal would be so distressed by some city guards, but she didn't want to risk the girl fleeing.

She turned back towards Syliras to lead the way, but then spun right back around. She'd forgotten something quite important.

"Oh! I'm Wanda, by the way," and she twirled back around.

"I guess we'll probably be headed to The Rearing Stallion. They've got some of the best food in town, I've heard. Well, for us commoners, anyway. Not sure where the Knights 'n them eat, but it certainly isn't there. Bet they've got something fancy set up in the Castle, some private chefs or something." She glanced behind her, grinning. "Not that I'd have any idea." Wanda was probably going to wind up rambling the whole time. She hoped the other girl wouldn't mind.

OOCUrgh I'm really sorry I keep writing so much :(

Last edited by Wanda Endust on July 14th, 2013, 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Hope Dawnwhisper on June 13th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Forcing a smile onto her face, Isalie knew that it would not reach her eyes, which were still flickering about in what she imagined probably looked like a wild fashion. It didn't bother her, though; she couldn't remember the last time she actually cared about what another thought of her appearance or mannerisms. Staying alive is what mattered, not how many friends she made in the process.

With one final glance back to the approaching guards, the young woman raises a hand to stroke the neck of her mount in a calming motion, not that the laid-back horse ever seemed to need it. Sliding the small knife back into the belt around her waist, where she could grab it quickly if the need arose, she grabs at the reigns around the horse's neck to guide him. "
C'mon, Shadow..." she whispers to the beast, "Time to have some real food."

She wondered silently if the girl, this... Wanda... would take pity on the animal more than she would on her. Isalie hoped so; Shadow, though he could be sustained on just grass and water from the river, had been weak when Isalie had first stolen him. The sheer amount of travelling the pair had done, and weather conditions they had faced, had left him more haggard than before, which worried her. On more than one occasion on their travel from Falyndar, Isalie had tearfully considered taking her knife and putting her loyal mount out of his misery. It was the only time she ever showed such emotions, she realised, when her only friend was in danger.

"
A pleasure to meet you, Wanda." Comes Isalie's softy reply to the other's offering, politeness returning to her tone and lexis, the only form of gratitude she would be able to show the girl for her kindness. She does not, however, offer her own name just yet, her time on the run having left her trusting people only to a point, and she could not find it within herself to lie to the girl and give a fake name.

She's not that bad, you know.Why take the risk? She gains nothing from my name, only power over me.If that's how you're going to be, why are you even going with her? There could be a trap just waiting for you on the other side of those gates. Isalie's pace slows slightly behind Wanda's. The derision and sarcasm from the first voice in her inner monologue dripped through her very being, and a shiver ran down her spine. Oh, shut up. She returns, picking up her pace again, though she returns to nibbling on her lower lip as her fingers fiddle nervously with the frayed ends of the reigns in her hands.

"
The... The Rearing Stallion... it's just inside the city walls, isn't it?" She does nothing to keep the tension out of her voice, hardly worried about appearing frightened now.

"
We don't have to go far? Only, I'd hate for you to go out of your way to find somewhere to eat and all. No point in you walking around aimlessly... just for me." Turning it back on the other, she hopes Wanda might see the logic Isalie was rattling on about, however flawed it was.

Maybe there was a market stall just inside the gates, then there would be no chance of Isalie being trapped inside the walls. "
We could maybe just pick up some fruit... I don't want you spending much, I don't need much.. I ate a small rodent yesterday, you see..." She winces, the girl definitely didn't need to know that, brought up the way she probably had been, Wanda was practically a lady, compared to the filthy urchin she had picked up this morning.

"
And... and they we could take the fruit and head back out of the city walls, there's a nice field. We could sit in the sun or... something..."

Hoping it wasn't obvious how desperate she was, how she was clutching at straws for some form of escape, she continues to fire out alternate ideas than this place Wanda had suggested that they go for food.
You've done nothing wrong, Isalie. They have no reason to not let you into the city, and definitely no reason not to let you out. You're not going to be locked up for eating some proper food.

She shakes her head at her own thoughts; fully aware of what a sight the two women must have made together.
Two completely different worlds... They were going to attract a heck of a lot of attention this morning, and attention was just something that Isalie did not want in the slightest.
Myrian | Common | Pavi
Hope Dawnwhisper

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wanda Endust on July 14th, 2013, 8:35 pm

Concern briefly etched itself across Wanda's face as she glanced back at the girl's horse. She didn't know much about animals, but he seemed awfully sickly. I hope he's not diseased,she thought. I don't know if they'll let him in if he is. Distracted by this train of thought, she doesn't notice that the other girl neglects to introduce herself.

The conversation ebbs away -- an odd feeling for Wanda, who is used to being a wealth of nonsensical comments. But the other girl's hesitancy and acute over-awareness don't go unnoticed. Her mannerisms remind Wanda of the rabbits she'd sometimes see being sold in the market -- nervous, jumpy, and scared out of their minds.

Wanda is totally out of her element. It was incredibly difficult to keep herself from saying what was on her mind, and this censorship was uncomfortable. She wanted nothing more than to keep rambling, yet if she did so she might risk spooking her new companion. Luckily, said companion spoke before Wanda could blurt anything out. The city walls were growing ever closer.

"Hm? Oh, well I guess the Rearing Stallion is a little further in the gates than some of the markets." She chuckled, then rested a hand on her lips as she considered the options. "It's no inconvenience for me at all, but we'll probably get food faster if we just stop buy a vendor. Yeah?" The tension in the brunette's voice convinced Wanda that it was probably best to avoid the bustling tavern area.

She cringed slightly at the "rodent" bit. Did some people really live like that? She couldn't imagine it, and it occurred to Wanda that her life was pretty easy compared to many others.

"We could sit in the sun or... something..."

"That sounds great!" she decided with a grin. She probably should be job searching, but it was probably worth it to skip her plans and help this girl out.

Syna was now slightly higher in the sky as the unlikely pair came to the gates. Though it was still fairly early, travelers were already gathered to either enter or exit. More than a few folks gave the girls (and Shadow) questioning looks, and Wanda realized what an odd combination they must have seemed.
Oh, I probably should have told her how this worked, Wanda considered, glancing back at her companion was an uncertain smile. "Don't let the guards scare you, they're just doing their job."

With that, she was waved forward by a guard in full armor. It was hot, and she felt bad for him. He had to have been burning up. The fellow must have recognized her from when she'd departed earlier, for he gave her a polite nod. But, like always, there were no exceptions to the rules in Syliras, and he gave a the standard survey: "State your name and business."

"Wanda Endust. I'm a resident." She waved a hand in the other girl's direction, suddenly realizing that she didn't know the other girl's name. Her eyes widened slightly before she recovered and continued. "This is my friend. We're going to get breakfast!"

OOCSo sorry for the delay!
Wanda Endust
Searching for purpose.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes