Closed [Shinyama Pavilion] Taking Measures

From Fraint to Lu Gavima.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Shinyama Pavilion] Taking Measures

Postby Fraint on May 30th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Season of Spring, Day 37, 513 AV

Fraint avoided the eyes of those who walked past, sensing the air suffused with tension and anxiety. He licked his chapped lips before pressing them together; looking out at the world from under his lashes as he stumbled his way through the steady stream of people. He realized, as he looked to his right and left, that a great many were walking in the same general direction as he was, wearing the same worried face as he was, hunching their shoulders and attempting to minimize themselves as he was.

The 37th of Spring in Lhavit was not so much a pleasant one compared to the other days.

He found the Shinyama Pavilion, along with the others, on the Shinyama Peak. The guardians of the city, the Shinya, stood with purpose outside of the Shinyama Pavilion, ushering those in need of assistance, for they’d opened their doors to the public for martial arts training. The Lhavitians needed self-defense. They needed to be able to fight, should the Zith decide to invade once again. This time, they would be prepared.

Amongst the feelings of worriment in their eyes, Fraint saw steely resolve to protect the Diamond of Kalea. He realized, looking down at his fists balled white, that he also possessed determination within his bosom. He wanted to learn how to take care of himself, as well. He needed this.

Fraint had lingered at the edge of the growing crowd, craning his neck to look over the sea of people. The majority of the denizens streamed inside, their eyes bright with fervor. Fraint remained at the edge of the circle, blinking, until it slowly diminished, leaving him and a handful of people remaining outside of the Pavilion. He couldn’t seem to enter. Why?

He approached the doors into the Shinyama Pavilion, staring at it, hesitating outside. Thoroughly befuddled, he stood there, standing erect, with no specific purpose in mind, eyebrows raised.
Last edited by Fraint on June 2nd, 2013, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fraint
A well-crafted façade.

Words: 29182
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2013, 5:45 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Lu Gavima on June 2nd, 2013, 1:18 am

The feeling inside Shinyama was electric.All of the Brothers and Sisters down to the Initiates were filled with purpose and excitement. The doors of the Pavilion would be opened today in order to train the populace in how to defend themselves. There had been a similar symphony of cooperation on the night that prompted this day, but it would have gone much better had the populace known some basic self defense.

Orders were simple and straightforward: All Shinya on duty were to report to the Pavilion and greet the coming crowds. One on one training was acceptable unless the crowds became too large, in which case classes would be formed. Lu stood outside and saw people coming, standing straight with his staff in hand, pride filling him for his people and City. As he expected, it was not the entire populace, but as the doors were opened until further notice, he suspected that some would wait to hear how the initial ones had made out. Lhavit worked on word of mouth more than anything else.

Greeting and smiling to the many who passed through the doors, Lu's attention singled out one man who seemed to embody anticipation. His demeanor was quiet and yet he held a look of potential. Smiling and approaching him with the telltale click of his staff, Lu bowed to him. "Greetings and welcome to Shinyama. Are you here for training?" Standing straight and with pride, he continued, " I am Lu Gavima of the Shinya."
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Words: 134685
Joined roleplay: December 2nd, 2011, 5:35 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fraint on June 2nd, 2013, 2:06 am

As Fraint stood there, he was approached by what he supposed to be a man part of the Shinya. Fraint boasted height over him—about three inches—but Fraint could see the well-defined muscles along his body. He possessed a shaven head and an amiable smile, making Fraint feel strangely at ease with his presence.

The man introduced himself as Lu Gavima of the Shinya and, presenting himself and exuding a sense of duty, bowed.

Fraint blinked in surprise, tumbling into a graceless bow of his own, not at all well-versed in the Shinya and their customs.

“Ah, yes. My name’s Fraint, and I’ve also come here to inquire about self-defense,” he said. Fraint squinted at the man, attempting to ascertain as to whether or not he was capable of teaching him the basics. Of course, he reasoned with himself, as he had no experience in martial arts whatsoever, so was the least worthy of judging somebody else. He returned the man’s smile with a wormy grin of his own.

Fraint cast a worried glance at the doors to the Shinyama Pavilion. “I’ve come for the classes, yes, but in retrospect . . . ,” he continued, trailing off. He was a complete greenhorn when it came to anything physical, so the thought of him bumbling about in front of (what seemed like) all of Lhavit wasn’t too appealing to him. He shot a pained look at Lu Gavima. “I’d be more comfortable with one-on-one classes, I believe.”

He laced his hands behind his back, waiting with bated breath. “I don’t suppose you . . . ?”
Fraint
A well-crafted façade.

Character sheet

Postby Lu Gavima on June 2nd, 2013, 4:48 am

Lu did his best to stifle a grin at the man's attempt at a bow. he was ready and willing to work, so that was an excellent beginning. His name was Fraint and he seemed to be worrying or concerned about the process. "I understand your apprehension, Fraint. Many young and old Intiates have looked up at the hallowed halls of Shinyama and wondered if they could make it. I will tell you, anyone can. If you have the desire and the spirit, anything is possible."

Smiling, Lu walked into the gates as the man hopefully followed, answering his question as he moved himself to an empty corner of the open plaza. "One on one is perfectly fine. I wouldn't have it any other way." He placed his staff against the wall nearest and began stretching down to his toes and rolling his hips. "So, tell me a little about yourself, Fraint. While we are at it, let's loosen up. Reach toward your toes on each foot and then up in the air. We want our bodies flexible and ready before training."

He began jogging in place, ready to hear what this pupil had to say.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fraint on June 2nd, 2013, 11:35 pm

Fraint trailed Lu Gavima’s footsteps through the gate and into the open plaza, where they occupied an isolated corner for their training. The thought of being trained in physical combat was, to say the least, daunting. Fraint’s heart banged against his ribcage, threatening to break free as he stood opposite of his teacher.

Lu Gavima bent over, extending his arms to reach his toes and rolled his hips in what seemed like an odd fashion to Fraint, who never had the reason to stretch with purpose before. The idea was alien to him.

Lu Gavima invited Fraint to tell him about himself, to which Fraint did as he struggled to reach his toes as Lu Gavima had done. He couldn’t even think to begin to roll his hips. Tongue protruding slightly, he attempted to straighten his bent legs as his arms wormed their way to his toes. It seemed like it would take years.

“I, ah, come from Syliras and lived a humble life there until I—ugh—decided to move to Lhavit to learn about the Star Lady.” He grunted, speaking in between muffled grunts as he attempted to mimic Lu Gavima’s dexterous movements. Perspiration was already beginning to form at the base of his hairline. “I originally came to live a life purely of intellectual pursuit, but I recently realized that it would defeat the purpose if I didn’t have a life to live.”

He attempted a small chuckle as he submitted to reaching his ankles, remaining there for a few seconds before returning to full height and taking a deep breath. His spirit waned. “I . . . am not so good at this. At all.”

He was failing the stretches, for crying out loud.
Fraint
A well-crafted façade.

Character sheet

Postby Lu Gavima on June 10th, 2013, 7:20 pm

Syliras. Was that in the book? Lu wished he had taken the time to copy it, but his duties had been quite pressing of late, especially with the very Zith event which brought Fraint to him that day.Feeling the blood pumping through his veins, due to an activated heart, Lu could see that the young man was having a hard time getting it together. The Shinya had seen it and others and himself at the Initiate level. While the student before him was an adult, Lu still had to remember his level of readiness.

"Intellectual pursuit. Very common here in the City of Stars." Lu smiled and took a seat before him. "A well developed mind is an important tool in self defense. Observation and awareness are indeed the key elements when one may be in danger." He opened his palm, inviting Fraint to take a seat across from him. "Let's work on getting your mind where it needs to be. First the spirit, then the mind and finally the body. What kind of courses do you study?" Finding a common ground to stand on, figuratively or not, would be paramount.

Listening on, Lu decided that he would help the man to clear his mind of doubt so that he could face the initial challenges of the body.
Lu Gavima
Devoted Shinya

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets