Closed A Void in my mind to be filled: Part III

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

A Void in my mind to be filled: Part III

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 31st, 2013, 4:15 pm

42 Spring 513

Voiding was still a new magic for Clyde. His skill in it was low, nothing to sneeze at, but nothing to grand either. The void itself was a interesting place, empty so far as he could see, and cold, something he had only learned very recently. He still recalled a few days prior, the sight as the water reacted to the cold stick.

Though he did wonder how it worked. Other magics he could understand, at least to a degree. With Reimancy, one turned their res, a manifestation of their djed, into a element. Or, due to its affinity and connection to the elements, allowed one to control those elements you could create.

Sort of logical, bringing into mind magic allowed one to break rules.

But voiding? How did voiding do what it did? He knew that the void was empty, a plane of emptiness. So how did using djed, allow one to connect to this emptiness? His first teacher had explained it as a keyhole... So what the portal was like a doorway, a window, with their world on this side, and on the other side the plane of emptiness... It made a sort of sense, but surely there was more to it, more that he was missing.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 20th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Done with his mental work on reasoning out how Voiding worked, his next step was to once more practice the magic. Unlike Reimancy that he could do so easily, Voiding was still tricky, and time consuming.

Taking out some inscribing paint, Clyde dabbed in his finger, and drew on the back of his hand a small swirl pattern, starting with a dot, and then spiraling outward from it clockwise. Once it got near the edge of his hand he stopped, and copied the simple focus onto the back of his other hand, and then on the palm of his hands.

Turning his left hand palm up, and his right hand facing down at the ground, he put his left hand below the right hand so they where parallel. He began to focus on the void, on emptiness, picturing the empty blackness, and focusing it on the space in between his hands.

Clyde focused his mind on nothing, clearing it, on emptiness, being alone, picturing people around him, and then letting them fade into the background, melt into the void, stop existing.

He breathed in, out, emptying his lungs, holding the empty feeling in his chest, feeling the desire in his chest and mouth to draw in, to fill the emptiness, but not giving in.

Finally he gasped with a rush of air into his throat, and felt a spark of djed between his hands, felt as it did his work, his will. He could feel the portal as if it was a part of him, could sense it, knew it was there like one knew where their left hand was without looking. Before him, between his hands, floated a small niche in space, a empty black pinprick.

Through his connection to it, via his creation of it, he willed it to grow, he fed it a steady stream of djed, and watched as it slowly grew, going from a pinprick, to the size of the tip of his index finger.

"So small, but connected to the same nothing as always."
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 26th, 2014, 12:10 am

It was a tricky thing, opening a hole through the air before him, a hole that led into the void... Still took a good bit of time, even though he had done it several times. But he could feel it getting easier, easier to focus on the emptiness, to move his mind to it, to clear out the space and force it to break.

To break the rules of the spot saying that space was filled with air, and instead willing it to be full of nothing, to shrivel and shrink away every last bit till it was truly empty, truly devoid. And thus, a link to the void.

Through his connection to the portal, to the doorway to the void, Clyde willed the opening to grow bigger, fed the rift his own djed as a woodsman would feed tinder and leafs to a child flame. Just as a flame would, the opening grew, no longer the tiny pinprick, now big enough for a blade of grass to fall through. Now big enough for a thimble.

Clyde focused on growing it a bit more, till it finally stabilized, and its rate of growth began to taper off, just as it got as big around as the circle made when he touched his thumb to his index finger.

Reaching down, Clyde plucked a blade of grass from the ground, and released it above the void, which at the moment was a flat circle in space level with the horizon. It drifted down for a moment, and then fell into the hole. Slowly one end of the grass fell in, but did not exit out the other side. Instead it was deep inside the void, far away from here, and yet also so close.

But what next? He was getting better at opening the portals, but had not tried anything new in a bit. What else could he do? He had last discovered pull, a niche within the abilities of a portal, letting him pull things inside, attract them similar to how attraction worked with Reimancy.

That was when a thought occurred to him. What about the portal... Could it be moved? Was that something he was capable of?

"Only one way to find out..."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 26th, 2014, 12:31 am

First, Clyde had to figure out how moving a portal worked. Reason would dictate that if it could be moved, then he should be able to... Surely it would be another iteration of a voids ability, another niche to be explored. But could it be moved? Was it in the analogy like a window, locked into place inside the walls of the house? Or was it a opening that could be moved around?

Looking at the void, his hands still above and below it, Clyde concentrated on its size, its shape, its edges as it dwindled away to meld with the air before him. He pictured it all in his mind, and imagined it slowly moving to the left.

Left. Left. Left. Imagined the opening moving to the left, shifting in space. He took in a breath and held it, concentrating on it, willing it to move, expecting it to move...

Only nothing happened. It stayed solid, unchanging. Almost unchanging that is. Because in the time he had spent trying to move it, he had not been feeding it djed, and the portal to the void had shrunk a bit, was a bit smaller.

For a bit he went back to feeding it djed, until it was back to the size when he first started. Then he tried to move it again, visioned it shifting to the left.

"Left! Move left! Petch you, you stupid hole, move!"

But nothing happened. It was still. Clearly getting mad at it did not work... Perhaps... Perhaps being nice? It seemed silly, talking to a opening in space, but no sillier than getting mad at it. And besides, it was worth a try.

"Please move? Nice hole? Move? Just a little?"

This however had no better result. Clearly either the hole was unwilling to move, or was not listening. Or maybe he actually had offended it... Assuming one could offend a magical opening in space that led to a realm of emptiness...
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on January 26th, 2014, 12:50 am

Somehow Clyde had a inkling one could not offend a magical opening in space leading to a place of total emptiness. For one, there would be nothing there to offend, and the opening itself was just a opening, not a living thing. But then, just because it was unlikely did not mean it could not happen. After all, he was talking to the same opening in space, how likely was that to occur?

Looking at the void, Clyde decided either he was incapable of moving it, or it could not be moved. He would have to try again, perhaps once he had a better understanding of the void and the doorways to it he could create. Clearly though, for now, he was out of his depth.

However he did not want to stop training just yet. Perhaps he could try something else. Like seeing how much he could shove through a voiding portal?

Reaching down with both hands, Clyde pulled up a double handful of dirt, and brought it above the void portal. Releasing it, first as a trickle, and then much faster, Clyde watched as the soil fell. The bits of it that struck the portal vanished, the rest falling all about and blowing off course to settle on the ground. Clearly not enough.

Next he grabbed a big branch, and held it above the portal. He dropped the branch so that the middle of it would hit the open portal, and the rest would stretch far beyond on either side.

As the stick struck the open portal, there was a sudden flurry of motion, which Clyde's eyes could not quite follow. As it occurred, Clyde felt a sudden tug coming from the portal, a sudden surge in hunger. When it was done, their was a sound of breaking, and and the portal suddenly closed, the stick falling.

Shocked by the sudden events, it took him a moment to notice something. The middle of the branch was gone. Torn and broken clean off. The part of it that was missing roughly corresponded to the size of the portals diameter. Clearly before the portal had closed, it had taken through the bit of the stick, and then immediately closed.

Now Clyde knew what happened if you tried to toss something bigger than the portal at it.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Abstract on February 2nd, 2014, 3:06 pm

Grade Awarded!

~|-|~

Clyde

Award :
Skills

~ Logic - 2
~ Voiding - 4
~ Observation - 1

Lores

~ Voiding: Creating a Doorway
~ Voiding: Results of Fitting an Object Larger than the Portal in

Other

N/A

~|-|~

Notes

I gave you a point for ATTEMPTING to move the hole, even though you didn't succeed. Otherwise, nice, simple thread! I do like your magic descriptions.
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)