Solo [The Institute of Higher Learning]Of Words most Ancient

Clyde does some translating from the ancient tongue

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

[The Institute of Higher Learning]Of Words most Ancient

Postby Clyde Sullins on May 31st, 2013, 4:34 pm

Job given -here-

62 Spring 513(Late Morning)

As Clyde arrived at the institute on this day, he did not head straight to the office of the man who had asked for his translating services. He did not even plan to tell him much of who he was, or why he had taken the job... Though he would know some facts just by the fact that he could enter the institute, which a select number in Ravok could. He was in fact a student, though not one of Luvet's, and worked with the Stryfe, though that was not why he took the job.

It also was not, as many might assume, for the money. In that regard, Clyde was quite well off, from his other endeavors of magic, and a few side things. He did not need to worry overly much about funds.

No, he was simply interested in picking up what info he might, honing a few skills he had not used in awhile, in this case that of his knowledge of the ancient tongue... And maybe meet some interesting people. It was not to much to ask was it?

Honestly, he had not expected many people in Ravok to know of the ancient tongue, or to have need of translation services in it. By its nature it meant the person was either a scholar, very old, or a mage. or some combination of them.

It was for this that Clyde had decided to learn more of the man he had been asked to meet.

Luvet. He went to the front, asked around, found a directory, and learned that he was the teacher of... Morphing? He had not known what the teacher would be, but it was interesting to say the least that he was a mage... What could he possibly need translated? Though he did not know a lot about morphing, as he did not practice it, he knew it was a personal magic. So studying ancient tomes and such, would lend little to a persons usage of the magic. No formula, or ritual, was needed for personal magic. He had expected him to be a general scholar, or a world mage... But learning he was a morpher, just made him all the more interested.

And made him sure to not trust anything he saw. For when facing a man with a thousand faces, how could you assume what your eyes showed you? Perhaps even your other senses...
Last edited by Clyde Sullins on June 12th, 2013, 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 5th, 2013, 3:46 pm

Heading for the office, Clyde soon found himself outside of it. He knocked twice, and waited to be told to enter. Upon coming in, he saw the inhabitant of the room, apparently the morpher Luvet. He was a bit short, but stocky, with blond hair, and a short nose. Of course, if he had opened the door a few minutes later, he did not doubt he could have as easily been greeted by a different face.

"Hello. I am Clyde Sullins. I was informed you needed a translator, to change something to common. You are master Luvet correct?"

Clyde waited a few moments, before the man responded. "Yes, I am Luvet. Now, what I need translated, is this letter here. I have everything you will need."

Clyde took a step forward, to see the letter in question, which was in ancient tongue. It would be tricky to translate it. But he had plenty of paper to use, a few quills, and some bottles of ink. All he would need.

"Alright, but before I begin, I must warn you that translating written ancient tongue, is difficult, and not always accurate. It will take time. It honestly is hard enough to read it, without changing its intended meaning, let alone turn it into another language. But I will do my best, and I am fairly certain you will get the main gist of the letter, even if some minor points are off a bit. But proper nouns and named should come out fine."

The man nodded, and waved his hand at the letter. Clyde set to work, setting out one piece of parchment for his more or less final draft, and another two sheets for some scrap paper, to work out the meaning of things if he had trouble, or if something had multiple possible meanings.

He wet his quill, and looked down at the letter, reading the first line.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 5th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Clyde set out upon reading and translating, occasionally scratching out a few words here and there, much more rarely putting one on the final translation. He also slowly muttered as he worked, and worked the wording out.

"Here he is talking of something ending... A change? Perhaps he is meaning some kind of experiment, that has ended... An experiment which works through changing things. And... Yes, it is some form of magic, I can see here. Though not one I know of well. Must be a world magic by the way he describes it."

It soon became clear that just knowing the ancient tongue would be enough. Only a mage would get many of the references, and wordings, having done magical work themselves. Even so, Clyde had trouble, and made slow work of the translation.

"It seems many were lost in it, many new births... Um... He had to begin anew, start over from scratch, before the final experiment which succeeded. Or perhaps he means it literally, that many births occurred, as in living things being born that were used... I think part of this is just a status update on something they had previously discussed, or worked on together. Perhaps they even both do experiments with this same magic."

Clyde paused for a moment, scratching a few lines out, looking over what was left, and writing one short line of words in common on the final sheet. He was fairly certain it was right.

"Here he is speaking of a person. Though he does not mention them by name, perhaps he is afraid the person would recognize his name, or perhaps might read this. I think it is someone they know personally, or perhaps who is higher ranked... For he seems to be... Troubling them, or there work... Limiting them? Yes, he limits their freedom to do as they wish, in regards to their experiments. Not sure what that is about, but that is what it says."

Another pause, another line slowly written out. The scratch of the quill. Wetting it again, and scratching out another line. It was slow and repetitive work.

"Here he speaks of a golden child... Perhaps... Precious? Not a literal child, not by this, perhaps simply a... Apprentice, or someone they trained. A apprentice or student, who is now precious to them, and very skilled it seems. He is... Yes, a former student, who is now an ally in their work. Young compared to them, but still gifted."

Clyde took a short break, to take a sip of water from his water skin. Luvet had been watching intermittently, or at least it had seemed as such to Clyde. But it was hard to say for sure how much attention he was devoting to Clyde and his work, and how much he was interested.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)