Closed Moving In With The Animals

In which Chev attempts to find a job.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Moving In With The Animals

Postby Chev on June 1st, 2013, 10:01 pm

The Menagerie
Season of Summer, Day 1, 513 AV

Chev ran his fingers across the cold, stone walls of the shop that dealt with small, domesticated animals. He concentrated on his breathing, attempting to keep a steady flow. Rubbing his hands together, he hesitated in front of the door, a swarm of unhealthy thoughts invading his mind.

Was he presentable? Chev looked down at his apparel, adjusting the scarf that had been blown awry and picked at the sinews of his worn-down gloves. Frosty nipped at his shoulder, giggling quietly. Chev shot him a pointed look. Smoothing out his shirt, he took one more deep breath and one more tentative step before he hesitated once more.

What about his lines? He’d rehearsed them the night before, even suffering the humiliation of presenting in front of his older brother, who stared at his bumbling little brother with a goofy grin. Chev began to pace back and forth in front of the door.

“Hello. My name is Chev Frostfawn. I have come to your humble shop to inquire a-about, um . . .” His perfect introduction came apart in the face of pressure. Licking his chapped lips, he tried again, with less enthusiasm and volume than before.

“Hello. My name is Chev, ah, Frostfawn and I’ve come—bah!” It wasn’t good enough. He could feel himself already crumbling, his self-confidence waning. He disheveled his chocolate tufts, his lips pressed into a sad frown and the hope in his eyes beginning to recede into oblivion. He’d have to cut the introduction and roll with the punches. Shaking his head, he looked up to open the door.

It was already wide open.

A torrent of blood raced to his face, colouring his visage a furious red. Everything he’d done was put on an embarrassing display to whoever was in the shop—and who he had hoped would become his future employer. However, he clung onto whatever luck he had left, unwilling to allow the flames of hope to diminish.

Stepping into the shop and reveling in the warmth it provided, he put on his warmest smile, though the sheepishness leaked through. He approached the counter where the vendors would sit behind to meet the customers, adding a little pep to his step. Little animals wandered the interior like kings and queens. Frosty jumped down from his shoulder to join them.

Cute, thought Chev. His smile broadened.

“Hello?”
Vani | Common | Thought
Chev
I tend to see through filtered eyes.

Words: 18537
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Noblesse on June 18th, 2013, 4:03 pm

”Umbra, you be a good big brother to Nana now, okay?”

Reikanni poked her beloved black cat on the nose and grinned. Umbra purred in response and Nana, the new kitten that was brought to her shop just moments ago, licked its small white paws in bliss.

The young woman laughed and gingerly stood up. All around her the floor was crowded by several other animals freely walking about inside the store. Another cat, Bop, walked to her and rubbed itself against her leg, and Missy, a Manitora puppy, looked up at her pleadingly with those darling round eyes and pawed at her feet. She smiled.

“Alright my adorable little ‘uns, let mommy get your food all ready for you.” There really wasn’t anything better than spending the day with her cute animal friends.

Umbra suddenly perked its ears and loped towards the front of her shop. In her curiosity, Reikanni followed. She heard a bumbling voice just behind the wooden door. Slowly, she opened it to the sight of a young man, most likely younger than her by a couple of years or so, pacing about across her front door.

By what he’s been trying to articulate, he seems to be one Chev Frostfawn trying to inquire about… something. He looked quite distressed about it too that Reikanni could not help but wonder as to what it was. On a side note, he looks very cute when he’s stammering like that.

“Ehh… Umbra, do you think I should greet him? He looks really focused about it that I’d feel bad to disturb him.” She whispered to the black tuft of a cat, who promptly responded by purring and returning further inside the shop. Well it was as clear a reply as the old mister can muster.

Shrugging, she left the door as it is and headed to the shelves at the back of the room. She’s not worried about her animals escaping; they’re well-behaved enough to do that.

The young man had called out after finally deciding to enter the shop. Humming to herself, Reikanni pulled out quite a number of small wooden bowls and carefully carried them over to the counter. With a warm grin, she replied, “Hey! Chev, was it? I heard you call yourself that just earlier.” She giggled. “Anyway, welcome to my shop! Is there anything I can help you with?”

OOCChev! I'm so sorry this came out so very late. Please forgive me? :'(
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Chev on July 9th, 2013, 9:35 pm

A hand found its way to the back of his neck, flushing tomato red in the face of a woman’s cheerful charisma and his own embarrassment. He’d imagined his little charade had gone unnoticed, but he had terrible luck when it came to women, anyway, so it was no wonder that it was a fine young lady that had greeted him.

“Darn it,” he said, grinning and acknowledging the assumed shop owner with a polite nod.

The well-crafted script burned into his mind seemed to crumble, tumbling into a bottomless pit where it could never be retrieved again. So, he stood there for a few seconds, an amusingly blank expression sloppily plastered on his face as he attempted to construct the sentences inside his head, but they just wouldn’t form! His potential job relied on this very moment, and he was blowing it!

“Ah, well, y’see, I’m looking for an erra—job, I’m looking for a job.” He exhaled hot, exasperated air, silently chastising himself for squirming under the woman’s attention.

“C’mere, boy.” He knelt down, coaxing Frosty into his arms. Obviously, it wouldn’t oblige, having a knack for choosing the worst possible moments to be adamant. He sighed, getting up and nodding in the snow ferret’s direction. “So, I own a snow ferret. His name’s Frosty, and although we’ve been together for the longest time, I still can’t seem to understand anything about him.” He narrowed his eyes at the ferret, who turned away and made a sound akin to a snort. Well, that's what Chev interpreted it as.

“I’ve also recently become a man—by father’s standards.” His chest swelled up with warm pride as he said this. “I found that I needed someplace to pull my own weight, and since this is an animal shop, I figured that, uh, I could earn a few tips from you about taking care of Frosty while working under you . . . ?” He’d probably blown in, but his eyes widened with naïve hope as he stared at the woman.
Vani | Common | Thought
Chev
I tend to see through filtered eyes.

Words: 18537
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Noblesse on July 18th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Reikanni smiled warmly at the young man as he stood inside the shop, speechless and with a funny look painted on his face. It didn't take a genius to realize that he was very nervous. It's odd for a customer to get so tense with such an activity as shopping. Perhaps he had come to confess his love for her? He's cute. Too bad she already has an equally charming and very loving husband.

When Chev brought up the topic of employment, Reikanni's eyes shone with an interested glint. She looked the young man from head to toe, assessing him from the eyes of a prospective employer. He's pretty awkward but he doesn't seem to be the irresponsible type. Plus, he's a Frostfawn like her. It's a given that he would love and care for the animals as she would.

Umbra leapt towards the stubborn snow white ferret on the floor, the male cat's black fur a stark contrast to Chev's companion. It purred cheerfully, it's long tail waving playfully in the air. Reikanni couldn't help but grin at her cat's excitement at seeing a new friend at the store.

"Your father must be very proud of you Chev. He's lucky to have such a reliable son." Reikanni nodded, her lips quirking up into a grin. "It's been just me looking after the shop for a long while, so I could use some help and company around here too. And you don't even have to ask about tips on taking care of your friend-- Frosty, was it? I tend to give unsolicited tips most of the time and you might have enough of it by the end of the season, hehe." She chuckled lightheartedly, a slight blush tinting her both of cheeks pink.

"So if you don't mind working with me and having to deal with some of my quirks, the animals and I will be very glad to welcome you!" Reikanni's smile faltered for a bit as she stared at Chev. She could not understand it, but for a moment she saw in Chev a younger Kayin. Her eyes flooded with a sad green color as memories of her recently departed brother recurred to her. She remembered he had the same look on his face too when he was just starting out. She missed him so much...

Before she completely ruin the mood, Reikanni looked up to meet the young man's eyes once more and, in a faintly forced cheer, asked, "Would starting tomorrow be fine with you, young mister? You can start working anytime that is best for you, but as soon as possible would be great!"
Noblesse
Let them eat flavored snow!

Words: 181013
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm
Race: Staff account
Office