Closed Quavering Voices

Alori Sai // Where hearts are bared in the form of song, and new friends are met.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Quavering Voices

Postby Johanne on June 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm

37th Summer 513AV. The Cedar Ampitheater.

Twenty seven days in Wind Reach and it was only getting progressively hotter and hotter. The summers in Lhavit carried the heat, too, but none of this stickiness of Wind Reach. The caves afforded some cool but they were always stuffed to the brim with Inartans laughing and yelling and flirting. Johanne missed the quiet and the open skies of Lhavit. She missed the cool mountain breezes and the bridges with the dizzying drops. But they said that it was on the road that one found stories, and there was no way she could go back just yet...

The Inarta, though, could not be said to be anything like the Lhavitians, with their quiet meditation and their soft prayers sung to the moon. No, this was a city that seemed to never sleep, a city that laughed and celebrated and lived life like they were riding the winds at every moment. A city that revelled in community. And here Johanne sat, at another event that promoted this unity between all Inarta. The Cedar Amphitheatre was the closest she could get to the gardens of Lhavit, like the Alhaes Park: beautiful cedars echoing in the tone, silent and never growing, watching the mountain carefully. This day there was to be a singing competition for the Inarta that did not find themselves chained to tasks elsewhere. It was mid-morning, the sun not too hot yet, but the competition may run into midday when the sun would burn those it touched.

A young man stepped forth into the middle of the amphitheatre. The others seated on the stone benches carved into the mountain hushed: some to participate in the competition, some to cheer on friends, and others, like Johanne, to simply take pause and listen to the beautiful singers before her (and some not so beautiful). He was Roul, and in charge of performances in the amphitheatre.

"Welcome to the Singing Competition of Summer!" he cried. It was obvious that he was used to standing on this stage: he commanded presence, and his voice carried just perfectly. "The rules are simple: one after another, you will stand and sing three verses of any song you choose, without accompaniment. I will be judging you all based on several criteria, and perhaps applause can swing me either way. I cannot promise any kind of prize but the adulation of your peers, so everyone, cheer loudly! If you are performing, please sit somewhere near the first few rows and stand up when there is a spot." With that, he took a seat off to the side and waited for the first performer to stand.

Johanne was sitting near the back. She did not understand a single word; all clicks and whistles, but she did not need to understand: she was only hear to listen to songs in words she could not understand, sung with emotion that she could.
x
Last edited by Johanne on June 14th, 2013, 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Words: 168999
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Quavering Voices

Postby Alori Sai on June 2nd, 2013, 12:16 am

There were many places in the city where Alori could be found, but normally The Cedar Amphitheatre wasn't one of them. Growing up, the tiny Avora had no interest in music, and it wasn't until she grew older that she took a liking to it. Little by little, day by day, she found herself starting to sing a little more, but only to herself. Alori wasn't the shy type but there was no way that she felt confident enough to sing in front of other people. Still, in her private world, the girl did sing, and it was only for her ears and that of her poor Gyrfalcon to hear.

It wouldn't be until a season later, when the teen started to hum and single in public when she didn't realize that others could hear her that this started to change. Despite what she had expected, those around her said that she had a nice voice, and although there was room for improvement, they all thought that she had talent. Alori was very surprised by this reaction and the kind words, but this still wasn't enough to push her out of her comfort zone. This would finally change when she met a man, a foreigner who was still a mystery to her even now.

This man was a bard it seemed, and he carried with him a very interesting guitar. Alori didn't learn a lot from him in the short time that she knew him, but she did learn the pleasure and release one felt when pouring their heart out into a song. The man disappeared suddenly, but left his guitar for Alori as a parting gift. The young Avora was hesitant about keeping it, but being that she was unable to give it back to it's rightful owner, she kept it and soon came to treasure it. And so her fascination with the instrument grew and she attempted to pour her heart out into songs as she had watched him do.

This is what led to the girl coming to the singing competition, but now she was starting to wonder if that had been a bad idea. Alori wasn't a seasoned singer and she knew this, and just as well her musical talent with her guitar were lacking at best. But, there she was, the first of those who would step up and sing, or embarrass themselves. Going first was a hard thing to do, just as hard as it would have been to go last. The first to sing had to set the tone and get people into the event, and Alori wasn't sure if she could do this.

Alori stood before the others, the guitar in her arms suddenly feeling a lot heavier. She was used to playing while seated, where her legs could help with holding it and take some of the pressure off her arms. The tiny Avora lightly strummed the guitar, trying to find the right tune. It seemed even harder to do now than when she was at home, and the eyes of those around her caused her focus to slip. She paused, stopped, then started again and all the while keeping her head down and her eyes on the guitar itself. The teen paused and stopped again as her fingers slipped once more and she lost the tune.

"Petch.."

Alori tried to calm herself, forget the pressure, to forget the people and just let it flow. She knew that she wouldn't win, how could she, and that hadn't been the reason for her coming. She needed to do this, she needed to pour out her soul to someone, anyone. The past seasons had been the worst in her entire life, and after she survived it all, she was swore to secretly by the God and Goddess who saved her. It wasn't that Alori wanted so much to reveal her secret, but she needed someone to talk to, someone to hear her story, her side of the tale. For Alori, that is what this day was about, coming to The Cedar Amphitheatre was her way of telling her story and once and for all letting it all go.

She breathed in deeply, hazel eyes lifting to stare at those around her. She felt a tingle race up her spine as the fire inside her was unleashed. The gnosis mark on her neck began to glow faintly as she began to pull the strings to the guitar, and even if her fingers slipped, she would continue.

"I thought I knew what I wanted"

"I thought I had a plan "

"But you judged me at once, without a second glance"

"You say I'm a lost cause, that I don't stand a chance"

"You turn your back, say you don't care"

"But we both know why"

"Face it you're wrong"

Alori was doing it, singing in front of a crowd filled with people that she didn't know. She was putting her heart out through her song and letting her emotions out without shame. Suddenly she started to pull the strings to the guitar faster, harder, her other hand moving up the length of the neck to hold down different stings at the top to create different sounds that vibrated faster.

"I'm still here!"

"Stronger and wiser"

"Bold and untamed"

"Bring your judgments and prejudice"

"I won't be ashamed."
x
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Quavering Voices

Postby Johanne on June 2nd, 2013, 3:55 pm

There was a moment of silence, as there always was at these things. Johanne closed her eyes and leaned back against the cool stone behind her, enjoying the chill of the mountain on such a hot day. Johanne didn't like summer, she preferred the cool breeze of Spring mornings, or the dying warmth of an Autumn day. She was in no rush to be anywhere. She had time off from the Craft Gallery, and no paper drying on the racks. The competition would begin soon enough, and then Johanne's soul would be awash with music: a more intangible type of art.

As it was, with her eyes closed and her moment of bliss, Johanne did not see the very first contestant step up into the amphitheatre, her guitar clutched nervously in one hand. In her land of dreams, everything paused, and she simply waited for the music to begin. She didn't see how nervous the little Inarta was, how she gripped the neck of her guitar too hard, how her eyes darted and danced across the stage, looking for something that might bring her some kind of comfort.

When Johanne heard the first strum of the guitar, she opened her eyes and sat up. The Inarta girl seemed exceptionally nervous. Other members of the audience shifted and muttered in their seats when she stopped and started again, her fingers too shaky to hold the tune, but Johanne's heart went out to the girl. Here was somebody who was putting themselves out there for their art, who was pouring their heart and soul and mind into their work and demanding immediate response and reaction from the audience. It was an incredibly brave thing to do, and even braver, to have gone first. She nodded slightly, knowing the girl would not see it from the stage, but still giving the slightest part of encouragement. Johanne waited for the music to begin.

Suddenly, the girl seemed to gain wind of some inner fire. She squared her shoulders and gripped the guitar, and with a moment of pause, she began. The words were sung sweetly, and while her fingers slipped on the strings every so often, an off note here and there, there was an undeniable passion in the girl's voice. Johanne didn't know her story or where she came from, what she had been through, but the Inarta had undeniable passion. The more and more she sang, the more confident she became, and the performance only became all the more beautiful. Johanne had heard renowned string musicians in Lhavit before, but this Inarta had belief and conviction, and that was what mattered.

When the girl stopped singing, Johanne was not the one who clapped the loudest, but her diminuitive claps trailed off far longer than anyone else in the amphitheatre. It was not in her nature to be loud. It was not in her nature to draw attention to herself. But nor was it in her nature to let something that had touched her go unnoticed.
x
Last edited by Johanne on June 14th, 2013, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Quavering Voices

Postby Alori Sai on June 3rd, 2013, 3:09 am

The Avora had found her rhythm, and although she would still slip from time to time, it wasn't as hard to build up the tune again. It was nothing fancy, a light melody and with only a slight quickening of pace, remained the same otherwise. Alori continued to sing, her voice ranging out over the crowd and even with the squeaking from time to time, slowly she was able to convey her thoughts and emotions to those listening.

"I took your challenge"

"I played your game"

"And I made it through"

"I'm still the same"

"I fought your people"

"I faced the Gods"

"and I won't change"

The song was something that she had thought of before, but she was yet to flush it out and actually write it down. It was more of thoughts that she had, and ways that she could put it to song, though she hadn't decided until much later to do so. Her nimble fingers glided up and pinned down the strings at the neck, while she flicked the same one with the fingers on her other hand towards the base. It was a faster movement now, and with the quickness she would also make more mistakes. However, the tiny girl was quick and continued on and even swayed a bit with the guitar to take their minds off the slips.

"I'm still here"

"Stronger and wiser"

"Bold and untamed"

"Bring your judgments and prejudice"

"I won't be ashamed"

Alori was near the end of her song now, and so far no one had ran off or even booed her. Perhaps it was because her singing and playing wasn't as bad as she thought, maybe she was gifted? Or maybe it was because they understood, even without knowing her full story, they understood what it was like living on the mountain. She could feel a pride swelling inside her chest, she had done what she came for, and hadn't choked. Now it was time to wrap it up and get off the stage.

"I took all you had"

"Faced the odds"

"And now I'm back"

"Twice branded from divinity"

"Do what you want"

"Try to take me down"

"I'll survive"

"And through it all"

"I'll still be here.."

Alori took a breath as she glanced out over the crowd, she was surprised to see so many people applauding and couldn't stop herself from smiling. She lowered her guitar and stepped off the stage, a soft giggle escaping her lips just before she bit them. It had gone more than well, and all she could think was how awesome it had been and she wouldn't forget it soon. She decided to stay and listen to the rest of the performers play, even if for just a show of respect. Heading to the back row, she found a seat close to a woman with long dark hair. Alori offered the woman a smile, as if she could swipe the one from her face off anyway, and set her guitar down on the other side where it wasn't between them.

"Holy petch that was insane! I have goosebumps all over. Are you going to sing or just watching?"
she asked in her best common.
Last edited by Alori Sai on June 14th, 2013, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Quavering Voices

Postby Johanne on June 6th, 2013, 7:40 pm

The end of the song echoed through the amphitheatre, the acoustics carrying the strumming notes of the guitar from the stage to where Johanne sat. The Inarta on stage was clearly so happy with her performance, so thrilled, that nothing could have crushed her smile in that moment. Johanne, clapping quietly along with the rest of the crowd, could not help but smile back, though a little wistfully.

The Inarta had so much courage, such tenacity, that so many of them lined up in the first row were willing to place themselves in the limelight and say: look at me, look at what I can do. Johanne hid behind parchment and ink, and even then she was afraid for people to look at her art. If only she could have that courage, too: but it was not in her nature. She was not born that way. She was simply born Johanne, and wishing otherwise was futile.

Johanne heard the giggle from the girl's lips as she bounced off the stage, guitar clutched in her hand like a trophy, and was drawn back to the moment of reality. Realising she was one of the only still clapping, her scarred hands and arms on display to anyone who would look closely, she stilled her hands, with a blush of embarrassment: only to see that the bubbly Inarta was heading straight for her.

The shy Denvali girl panicked, looking around her to see, nay, to hope that there was someone else the girl was headed towards. But no one surrounded the foreigner, and without so much as a request, the Inarta plonked herself down next to her, an impenetrable smile upon her face. And then she spoke: but in Common. Johanne could not let the look of surprise from appearing on her face. Mostly they spoke to the foreigner in Nari, and if she could not understand, then she was snubbed, ignored. But this girl went out of her way to speak in Common, and Johanne could not help but return the courtesy.

"No, just watching. I cannot sing in the least," Johanne said quietly, pausing. Such an opposite to the bubbly Inarta before her, with her scarred hands clasped demurely over her lap. "Your performance was beautiful, by the by."
x
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Quavering Voices

Postby Alori Sai on June 14th, 2013, 9:58 pm

"Thanks." Alori responded while gently rolling her tongue around the edges of her teeth. She was still shivering a bit from the excitement that had grown while she was on stage. She felt lighter now and even relieved in a way. She would take something with her from it all, and would use the experience to help her in the future, when and if she decided to sing and play in front of others again. But even with the smile that she had, Alori had to get away from the front of the stage and find some place she could relax and still watch the others.

That had been the reason that she had moved to the back where the woman with dark hair was seated. She seemed nice, a bit shy, but Alori had met other foreigners who were like that. The woman seemed surprised that the Inartan teen spoke to her in common, but she had gotten in practice for a while, after having met foreigners more than a few times during the last couple of seasons. She smiled at the woman after she spoke, it seemed that she was truly the shy type and wasn't about to climb out of her comfort zone.

"Ah, why not? Hey I don't think I can sing either, I really don't. But you should give it a try if you like it. I was nervous going up there and I didn't know what was going to happen, but wow, it turned out a lot better than I thought."

Alori realized that she was a complete stranger to the woman, and probably not to best person to convince her of anything, but that was the young Avora's way. She was passionate, outgoing and open when it came to conversing with people. If the woman seriously wasn't interested in singing, then she wouldn't push the issue, but if she just needed a push, Alori was the right Inartan for the job. "I'm Alori..and what's your name?"
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Quavering Voices

Postby Johanne on June 14th, 2013, 11:36 pm

Johanne's fingers wrung themselves nervously together, over and over, their scarred patterns twisting together like snakes writhing. She had no way of knowing what caste the woman was, and despite how lovely and friendly the redheaded woman seemed to be, there was no knowing what would offend her, what would be too far over the line. Foreigners within this city could be accepted one moment, utterly despised the next. Little Johanne the shy tried to toe that line at all times, still afraid in this unknown world she had been literally dropped into.

This woman, though, with the beautiful though nervous singing voice, seemed to be not quite so judging of her failings as an outsider as some other of the Inarta were. Her smile was warm, her voice was soft, and how the sounds of Common echoed in her ears. While Johanne sat there, the next man began to sing in the ampitheatre, his nimble fingers strumming a lyre in time to a haunting song in Nari. A part of her wanted to sit in silence, enjoy the music for what it was without disturbance, but she could not banish the friendly woman. Turning her eyes reluctantly away from the new singer, Johanne spoke quietly in response, determined not to interrupt the enjoyment of the other listeners.

"But you can sing!" she protested, her doe eyes focusing on the fiery ones of the Inarta. "Truly, you can. It was a beautiful piece," she said, sincerely. Johanne might not know all too much about the intricacies of music, but she knew how to enjoy the sounds she heard. "I liked it very much. It was very heartfelt." Johanne kept blushing all the way through. Compliments, both for and given by Johanne, intimidated her, for whatever reason.

"I don't think I could get up there in front of all those people and just ... sing..." She looked around the auditorium, taking in the amount of Inarta just watching and waiting for someone to mess up, and she gulped. "Besides, I don't even know what to sing!" She didn't. She barely knew any songs, too insecure in her own abilities to ever learn properly. It would be nice, though, to be able to sing without pressures. She truly wished she could do it.

"I'm Johanne," she said, extending a scarred hand, the artwork on display. "Johanne Verkir."
x
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Quavering Voices

Postby Alori Sai on June 15th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Alori had always been the outgoing type, and reached out to those around her, even when it came to foreigners. The tiny Avora was also a proud Inartan, and always looked to show her strength and mind off to those who weren't from the great city in the mountains. But along with her life changing experience came a new way of looking at things, which caused her to be even more friendly to people around her. Alori didn't sense anything negative from the woman, and like most people from outside of the city that she had met, the woman seemed like she was just trying to take it all in.

Once the next man began to sing, Alori listened to the tune of the lyre and the deep and haunting way that he sang his song. She was glad that she had went first, thinking there was no way that she could have followed such a deep and emotional performance. The teen scooted closer to the woman so that they could continue conversing while keeping their voices down at the same time. She blushed hard from the compliments given by the woman. Alori was still surprised by how well it had gone, and receiving more praises only caused her cheeks to redden even more.

"No really, but thank you for saying so. But listen to this guy. He's amazing right? I bet he's going to win, unless someone else is even more amazing." Alori knew she wouldn't win, but for her, that was ok. She had done what she came to do, and after hearing such nice compliments from a woman that didn't know her, she felt even better. "I'm glad you liked it, I was thinking that I might have to run off when I was done and never come outside again." the teen added with a half giggle that was cut off as she bit her lip softly.

Johanne seemed like a good person, and like Alori she was just out and about trying to enjoy her day without any complications. But her shyness had to go, Alori wouldn't hear of it. It was good day out and one that everyone needed to enjoy outside of their closed shell. "Oh stop, I bet you have a nice voice. You don't have to worry, I'm sure everyone here is at least a little bit nervous...except for that guy.." she paused and motioned to the stage. "He's really good..but now he's just showing off." There was something about the woman, and if she was right it seemed that she was a bit willing to give it a try..with the right push anyway.

"You can sing anything really, songs you like, ones from your childhood. Or you could just sing about you and what you want in life. Maybe..something in your life that really means something to you?" She was grasping for anything that might pique the woman's interest, but she didn't know what would or wouldn't work. Alori glanced down at the scared hand that was extended towards her and reached out to shake it. She noticed the scars on it, but for the moment decided not to ask about them. "If you want..I could play a tune for you?"
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Quavering Voices

Postby Harrier on September 7th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Alori

Skills Amount
Music Composition 5
Singing 3
Musical Instrument (Guitar) 5

Lore
Cedar Amphitheatre: Courage to stand up and sing
Adopsallophobia: fear of singing in public
I'm Still Here: My song
Johanne Verikir: The unabashed complimentor

Bonus:

Additional Comments: What a wonderful little glimpse into Alori's frame of mind and the experience she went through. The song, while simple, did a great job in relating that.

(c) abstract
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal