Completed Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Inoadar feels the heat

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on July 8th, 2013, 4:47 am

The moment Miro had announced his name, Inoadar had known he'd have to come up with a name to give back. As always, the names he gave people were to be on a one-per-faction basis. The ravosalamen had one, the Ebonstryfe had another, Clyde Sullins a third, the one contact he'd had with the Rising Dawn, now a lost cause, yet another. The only one besides himself that knew them all was the clerk at Tarsin's Boarding House.

This was to partly to hinder collective surveillance by multiple factions working together. They would not know that they spoke of the same man. But he knew that ignorance would be seen through soon enough if they were any good. No, mostly, it was to let him know anytime someone came looking for him, especially at Tarsin's where he had his room. He paid a seasonal bribe to them to take note of what name any inquiries mentioned. This way he would know who was looking for him before they realized it.

In a compartment of his mind, he quickly ran though possibilities. This situation was different from the local factions in that he had no idea of the connections THIS man had. He knew who he had to watch for with all the others, who might come after him if he angered them. Miro was a mystery. He got the impression now that Miro was from this "Sahova" place, same as he claimed Forus was. He knew nothing of Sahova besides the mention of Nuits that Miro now confirmed. He'd met one Nuit some time earlier this season while on a job from The Spot. He looked nothing so flamboyant as this one, though.

Best that it be a name that was similar to one of the stronger families in town, so he might give an opponent pause, but one that could be explained away as a likely misunderstanding if one the family itself came after him for the impersonation. He gave the man his name as "Clark". It could be mistaken for "Lark", but could be explained away as having been mistaken for "clerk", as well as being uncertain if it was a first or last name. Yes it would do.

After sharing the name he was suddenly quite taken by the change in the man. THIS was more the sort of arrogant, power-flaunting he'd expected from a mage. More of an "I-don't-really-need-you-but-you-can-tag-along" attitude. For some reason this intrigued him far more. Perhaps it was the man's sudden confidence and assurance that he alone was sufficient to the task, but was willing to let "Clark" in on the fun.

Before, when he'd been all friendly, Inoadar had thought him sort of a goof, very much in need of help. Now his formidable mien was a draw Inoadar could not resist. Inoadar noted the discipline of magecrafting he mentioned. That was Clyde Sullins craft as well. That might serve as a lead. The man would go to the same places Clyde went. The also there was the current power struggle between Gru'tral and Lazarin. Both of them would seek to recruit any rogue mage. Maybe he'd drop a hint in ears he knew would connect to those power bases and see where the "collection crews" went to search.

Then, of course, there was Wrenmae. He might have some insight, though he was a maledictor and not a magecrafter. And even the most powerful mage can be stricken useless by poison. Yes, Inoadar was confident he could be useful to this man. This man who "did not lose to mortals."

The man waved, and Inoadar followed. This suddenly felt like something he wouldn't want to miss for the world. He said nothing as he took up position beside Miro. Yes, he would ride along on this.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Miro on July 28th, 2013, 8:07 am

Clark was a decent name, though maybe slightly unfitting. Well, Miro had never known a Clark before, so maybe it was just right. Definitely not as dark and mysterious sounding as he would have hoped. Lhex sometimes was cruel like that. The way the man maneuvered, so slick, he had earned himself a proud name. Perhaps someday he would take the mantle of a wizard, and with it a magonym. Every worthwhile wizard deserved a fitting title. Miro was given his at birth, more or less. The insufferable "Dra" on his name had to go. It always made him feel so insignificant to have his mother call him Dra-Miro. As if he would allow others to insult him when he hardly allowed her to. It was a shame so much of his father's side of his blood was gone. In fact, all of his blood was gone. As a Chained One, he was not the son of a Symenestra and Vantha, but rather of the god Uldr. Any "Dra" in Miro was killed along with his former body. Dovna was much more fitting as he was now.

At least it was apparent Clark was along for the ride. Though soft, his footsteps could be heard hurrying along behind. Miro hailed over a Ravosala and stepped on, instantly recognizing the Ravosalaman. "Renzy, were you waiting for me here?" The man gave a sheepish grin, knowing well the naivete of the undead. The man had made it a point to know the schedule and movements of the Reimancer, always after an easy Miza. "Naw, dumb luck it is. Always happy to be there for you mone- err, Miro. Where to?" Rather than being suspicious, the wizard was fond of the man, and he thought nothing of it. "My friend Clark is coming with me, so wait for him. I need to go home. Do you know-" But he was cut off before he could finish. "Say no more. I know well where it is." And again the wizard thought nothing of how suspicious and convenient the Ravosalaman's knowledge was. Before long they set off along the channels.

Miro turned to Clark with a grin. "I am glad you decided to come along, and I am eager to discuss things with you. However, with our having company, let us save it for later. Instead now, let us turn our conversation to ourselves. As I have said, I am Miro, a wizard. Much of my history is irrelevant, but some choice bits I find quite important. Alvadas is where I will start. A great city, sure, if you have a death wish. My life changed before I left, and I can not say it was for the better, but I was stronger for it all. Every great wizard should have a bit of tragedy in his life though, right? By the time I had left the city, I was a Reimancer atop any I have met since. I travelled to Zeltiva, another great city, but a short mention in my epic. It accomplished two things for me. The first was introducing me to an important asset, and I’ll speak more of that later. The second was to lead me on a crusade for the city. A crusade to the Undead Isle, Sahova.” He scoffed at the naming of the city. ”That place is anything but a minor mention, let me tell you. My coming here, the push for greatness, even the burning chill in my bones..”

But thinking of the isle caused the wizard to turn a smile. He gazed up at clark with that smirk and gave a quick chuckle. ”Zlynge. My life really has become a crusade for the highest bidder, like some mercenary. I try to do these things for the sake of a city, some greater cause, though never do quite feel the warmth in my heart. Even when it resolves and I have been paid off, it just has a way of cheapening you. I miss killing for the sake of one’s honor, or to provide you with a meal. I miss meals. I tell you, it just feels like I am chasing after glory and recognition more than living these days. No cause but my own, and it always does seem like a lost one. But soon all of that is to end. After I find this last hunt at its end, I am done with it all. I chase nothing but my own dreams. Find some greater commitment. I will have an impact on this world, you just wait. Someday you will hear my name and proudly claim to know me. Someday.” The wizard sighed and gave a faint smile, eager to hear more from his new companion. Even more than that, he could not wait for them to arrive at his home.

when finally they did, Miro wasted no time paying off Renzy and heading in. Though missed, Renzy looked quite disappointed not to have gotten a hefty tip. It was something he had grown used to, hoping today to stop work early and head over to the House of Immortal Pleasures. Quite the deceitful name, given an undead was less than pleased upon entering. Finally however they had come to reach his apartment, though small and shabby it was. The furniture was all fresh and without use, though underneath the bed a few items could be seen sticking out. Most notably his staff, Ionu’s Light. He hadn’t expected company, otherwise it would have been more aptly hidden. ”Please make yourself at home. It is nearly time that I bring you up to speed, but first, let me get to know a bit about you Clark. It is not everyday I make a new ally, and I am curious to know of your history in the city. Perhaps some of what qualifies you, how you got to be where you are. Or really, where you find yourself in life currently. There is quite a bit I have to share, so please, let me relax a bit first.”
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on July 28th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Inoadar was immediately grateful for the boatmen's discretion. He had never sought to know any of their names, though he knew many of them on sight. But when Miro identified him as "Clark", the boatman betrayed not so much as a twitch, in spite of his being known to them as "Porellis". The manner that he made eye contact with Inoadar was that of a man instinctively scoping out a new face to associate with a new name, both previously unknown. With Miro's eyes elsewhere, Inoadar had the chance to give the boatman the subtle nod to let him know that the name was what he wanted connected to him in the present company.

But he didn't know what to make of the ravosalaman knowing this mage's name. He himself had not known it when he'd first made inquiries about him. It seemed to belie the very discretion he had just been appreciating. Did this boatman know Miro's name now just as an end result of Inoadar's own initial inquiry? Or was he letting him know that someone else had been checking up on him?

Then the clincher. 'The man already knows where Miro lives!' Inoadar wouldn't necessarily have thought that too odd, if not for the fact that Miro had not been in Ravok for more than five or six days, according to the guards at the Southern Trading Post. But then, add to that the fact that Miro had been about to give him directions. 'He hadn't expected the boatman to know.' So, someone else had prompted the boatmen to learn this.

A simple enough scenario. "Assign" someone to watch him, to earn his trust. Facilitate this by offering his own name. Miro would undoubtedly reciprocate. Get all "chummy" with him. Follow him and monitor his actions. Report back. This man would seem like a reliable old buddy, always there when Miro needed him. But was more likely the means of an impending betrayal.

Inoadar needed to talk to the boatmen that passed his area regularly. See if they had a man named "Renzy" among their ranks. See if there was any lingering surveillance of Miro as a result of his initial request for information. On an impulse, he opened his bag and reached in as though looking for something. He loosened the lid on his vial of ink and placed his thumb tightly over the open top. He flipped it quickly back and forth to stain his thumb.

He shrugged and muttered something about "I guess I left it at home." and casually swung his arm over the side of the boat, leaving a streak of ink where the boatman could not see it. Now he would also ask the boatmen if they'd had a boat come back with an ink stain on the side. There were privately owned, used ravosalas out there, but they were not supposed to vie with the commercial ones for customers. 'I will find out who owns this one.' he promised himself.

But for now, it was important to act as though he had no suspicions whatsoever. So he gave up his stories to Miro. They were nothing that the powers in Ravok didn't already know anyway. His upbringing in the warrior quarter of Nyka. His falling out due to his sadistic excesses and subsequent enrollment in The Second Edict. His growth in their development of tolerance to pain under their regimen. His eventual surpassing of their marks and hope of providing inspiration to the rest. His disgust to find out how his excellence was used as an excuse for everyone else to "settle" for second or less. How his protests and individual efforts to force growth on the rest were met with both political and divine intervention. The impact on his assessment of gods and serving higher causes.

"I'll tell you right now, Miro," he said, his conviction genuine, "You are completely right about the...'cheapening' of your drive by serving others. I never took more pride in myself than when I killed an elder of The Second Edict, as a gesture of my independence, and left Nyka. This is why they have a bounty on me, and why I am always on the lookout for people coming from that city. It is not from fear, or the intent to hide from them." his face twisted in contempt. "On the contrary, I welcome their foolish compulsion. It only proves to me that they STILL have not learned the lesson I sought to teach them."

He took a deep proud breath. "Every time they send another worm who settles for second best to try me, I teach it to them again. Yet they never learn. I thought they had this time. As I said, I thought they had sent you. Someone different. Maybe someone just as good, just as determined. Maybe..." he leaned forward with a conspiratorial wink, "just maybe...someone better."

"But I will say, that I find equal pride with my new found devotion to Rhysol. He is the god of chaos, so it is in his domain for us to serve ourselves. But he would not have us hinder his personal troops. A contradiction, you might say. But doesn't 'contradiction' fall into that realm as well?" Inoadar laughed. "When I first came here, I caused him no end of trouble, yet when his troops finally caught up to me, they didn't execute me, as they would in Nyka, they gave me welcome into his fold! Recognizing the talents it took for me to have done what I did. He recognized ability, and rewarded it! I am under no compulsion to attend services, or sing praises. I indulge my own interests and serve my own ends, with the only exception, not to interfere with His."

Inoadar sat back, "But enough sermonizing for today."

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Miro on November 4th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Miro always appreciated a good story. But what was really to appreciate was Clark, the fine fellow he was. An interesting bit of company, what with his stories and mannerisms. Was not often one moved with deception and mystery in every twitch of their muscles. Well, maybe it was more often than he thought, for such characters oft went unnoticed. Though this one had taste, for he had forced their encounter. There was something about the history though that was quite intriguing. It was unusual to say the least.

It was in fact, a story unlike one he had heard. Almost enough to make the wizard jealous, with the grand impression it made to be the enemy of a city. To have that threat of assassination looming, and yet know it is hardly anything to fear, for the superior soul always triumphs. "Ah, Clark, I do like you. What I do may be cheap, but not worthless however. Apparently there is much to be earned from this sale of my talent, but I have to take a note from you, admit you've opened my eyes. Your story, it is one with a powerful message, my daring friend." the Reimancer tipped back his head and gave a laugh and a long sigh.

Being a Chained One, it was always a conflict of impulse and duty. Keeping them separate was a good way to keep them from clashing, though it was akin denying the undead his nature. Denying him his freedom through chains. He returned a steely gaze to Clark. "You displayed your pride for all to see, and it left such a powerful impact that they can't get enough. You decided independence, pride, to make whatever path you follow your own, even if set on it by others. That is something deserving of respect, and more importantly something a man can respect himself for. I shall take this to heart." Another smirk crept across the wizard's dead and cracked lips.

"Though I have been dealt the hand of selling myself out for charity, it does not have to be as such. I am always free to decide as you have, that I shall not settle for another's law if it cheapens me. And even though this task is a duty handed to my by a valued man, and that his name rides on it more than my own, he has given me reign to accomplish it to my own satisfaction. I, like you, have come to adore Ravok as well. Freedom, chaos, the knowledge that loyalty and law are nothing but restraints. The ideals of those who would only cheapen themselves. In the end what I do will be of my own free will, and for the best of those few who assisted me. After all, such a task is forfeit without me."

It was a curiosity though, what exactly Clark had done against Rhysol, what he does for him. But it was not as if he was going to pry into that just yet. To ruin the veil of mystery was a sin against Clark's very essence, and that was a thing of beauty, one to be admired. The truth was that this man was finding a way into the admiration of his new acquaintance. Any who could best the Chained One had proven their power, and thus nullified his will to dominate them. Though in truth he did wish to dive deeper into the mystery that was Clark. But it would be put to rest, for now had come to the part where the truth of his journey from Sahova to Ravok would be revealed.

The Reimancer leaned in and gave a slight yet excited smirk. "So, you ready to hear all about it? All about Forus, Sahova, myself, what I have in store for Ravok? No, shush, of course you are, question of rhetoric. I can see it right there, right in your eyes, that lusty glint that surfaces every now and again. Let's start with what I know on Forus. He is a fugitive, as mentioned, one who crossed a city and is now being hunted. Sounds a bit like you, eh? But apparently the man had two main objectives in his betrayal. The reagents for Magecrafting, which I do believe were fully available to him in Sahova, and the artifact taken, which is a mystery to me."

For a moment he paused and scratched his head, thinking and also giving his friend a chance to catch up. If any comments were already to be had, he would receive them gladly. But before long he had readied to continue on. "One can't be sure if his Magecrafted items were taken from him, or if the artifact was worth the severance from his supply, but he took these things and left. Left to Ravok, for some reason. Maybe to make a deal with a family, or maybe to trade off the artifact. Either way, whatever he has planned must be a sweet deal. He was rumored to be a skilled personal wizard as well. Supposedly Projection, Shielding, and a discipline called Voiding." The wizard gave a scoff and a shrug at this statement.

"It all sounds like a lot of chaff to me, but there is something to warrant my services in there. I am by no means a hunter of men, so I can only use my insights to think what I might do. But a slayer of men, yeah, that sounds about right for me. Tracking him down is the hard part, but it matters not what his offense or defense, mine is faster, stronger and more precise. You however I imagine are more adept in the ways of the city, being a wanted man, and how to track down information. I am very curious what you think a rogue Nuit wizard would do after committing such a crime, and why he came here. Better yet, how can we get on his trail, track him down. I swear to you Clark, if you're the reason Forus is found..."

Miro trailed off as he looked towards the ground. His mind was abuzz with so many possibilities. Mostly the rewards of a job well done. Not just for himself, or Rayage even, but Clark too. Especially for his new friend. He hadn't made many of his skills known, just his natural talent, style, whatever one was to call it. The potential gain of having him around was enough to draw in the Chained One's desires, but that was not his only appeal. Had the Reimancer never been marked by Uldr, by natural charisma alone, the wizard would have been drawn in by the man. His story, it was inspiring, devious, exciting, just the kind of thing that Miro loved. "If even you prove valuable, you may count me as a lasting asset, one you may call upon often."

Finally he could resist the urges no longer. It was policy, those who impress deserve to be impressed. "I do believe that I should know your talents, and what it is you have to offer. If it is but your knowledge and tact, then I am fine with this, as long as it produces results. But I suspect there is much more to you than that. However I shan't expect you to show your hand without first seeing mine, so watch closely. If you hadn't me figured for a wizard by now, know that I am." The wizard held his arm towards his staff and spoke a single word, "Return". The object flew to his outstretched hand where it was caught. ”I am a professional wizard, the most deadly you’ve ever met. Allow me to show you a bit.”

”Just not me. I am no pet. So do not show me off like some one. I will surprise him when it is time. It will make me look good, which then makes you look good. It is better that way, for all of us, Clark included. I would look impressive, you would look impressive, and Clark would be impressed. That and there is the fact that you will only look a fool presenting me. I am not your slave, and I will not obey you. You’d be wise to remember this.” And there was an empathetic sense of arrogance and deception in what the Irylid said. He would remain unreliable, at best. But Ender was unnecessary, just his Familiar. Hardly impressive at all, just a knockoff wizard. ”Reimancy, mastery of the elements, and the Flux, control of the strength within one’s body. Those are my prime skills.”

Miro began to stream his aqua colored Res from the tip of his staff as a liquid. It streamed out in a swirling pattern, hanging loosely in the air. ”This is Res, my Djed in corporeal form, which can then become any element I chose. Not only that, but control already existing elements as well. It moves to my will, and is one of the most powerful forms of magic to exist.” He displayed its capability of movement by flowing the liquid to split apart and move in different directions, eventually separating it into two masses. One half turned to a gaseous form and rose up, while the one below sprawled out into a flat surface. The cloud atop the floating puddle began to rain down, the attracted water landing and running towards the end. But as it seemed the water would fall off the ends, it instead adhered to the surface and flowed along the bottom side as well.

”You can feel free to touch it, for it is only water now, harmless.” The Reimancer slapped his hand through the mass and caused a few drops to splash out. ”And as it is obvious how such a discipline could be used for the benefit of the world, it is also capable of great destruction. A powerful enough wizard could reign fury like that of Zulrav or Ivak. Commanding fire, water, even lightning and lava. With enough talent that is. A Reimancer must learn each element through great practice, but a master, one such as myself, he has command of all. Even the ability to create ones new and unknown. Watch this.” A key to the magic was to understand the bond between elements, to know that not only his Res was apt to transmutation. ”Stand back a bit, okay?”

Miro diluted the water with his Res and called it to hover before him. He shaped it into a spike, then coordinated both an action and transmutation at once. The spike flew upward and froze into a long thick spear with a crackle, though its core was left as pure Res. It hovered for a moment before the rest of the substance was transmuted. The core burst into a jolt of lightning that sizzled and evaporated the ice in an instant with a flash of light. By the time the undead’s eyes had adjusted, nothing remained but a faint rising cloud of steam. ”Water as I am sure you know turns to ice when chilled. And from there, when met with lightning, it is transmuted instantly to steam. As you have just witnessed.”

The wizard shrugged briefly. ”And I am sorry, but the Flux is not quite so simple to demonstrate. If you’d like, I can show you that I am capable of rapidly increasing the strength in my arm beyond its natural capacity. Though, I am sure after seeing this you will just take my word for it. Though that is not all the magic I am capable of. We would be here awhile if I were to display all I am capable of. Just know I am capable of a great many things, and pleasing me can result in rewards not found anywhere else. What about you? What can you offer?”
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on November 9th, 2013, 8:25 pm

As long as Miro's comments were of such lauding and complimentary nature, Inoadar was not inclined to listen too closely, as praises and plaudits, in his experience, were most often used to put a target off guard before the knife was applied. But he did take notice of Miro's praise of Ravok, and its atmosphere, so conducive to self-serving scheming and reversals of alliance. This did not in any way stand at odds with his attitude about personal praise.

As he had often seen confirmed, in Ravok, a betrayal detected is cause for severe punishment. But a betrayal completed is a thing of beauty, worthy of note, and an object lesson to all to be sure of what you do, and with whom you do it. This was, of course, foremost in his mind right now. Primarily in the sense that it gave him cause to wonder what this man before him was intending to do once the immediate mission was complete. Would he eliminate his confederates and keep the item? Would he faithfully return it to Sahova and then embark on his own? Would he seek a stable base of operations in Ravok? A partner, perhaps?

That Miro's contractor was Sahovan was already established, but Inoadar wished to determine what level of authority they were talking about. He did not necessarily wish to become engaged in a partnership with someone who was then going to be branded a renegade and a traitor. It was not that he gave two lumps of shyke whether Sahova was betrayed from within or not. He simply did not want to have a crew of Miros tasked with his destruction.

"It sounds as though this "Forus" may be anticipating being able to gain such power from this artifact that he can return to wrest control from the current leaders." He said this with deliberate emphasis on the "current" to suggest the assumption that it was a very high authority that had charged Miro with this job. He watched Miro for any indication that he was either plainly wrong, or that Miro was hesitant to either confirm or deny the accuracy of his remark.

The mage made no reaction to indicate that he was concerned about Inoadar's speculation in any way, so he continued. "This would certainly be a reason for his willingness to leave his "stock" behind, as he would be expecting to retrieve it in spades upon his triumphant return. It would also be a likely place to begin searching. The movements of djed-craft-related materials around town would leave traces for those who know what to look for. Now it may surprise you to know that I have already gained quite a bit of knowledge about recognizing the cast-offs of mage crafting. It has occasionally been a necessity for me to develop this vein of observation."

He sat back in the boat with a smirk. "I can tell you something else. If Forus has the support of a prestigious family, the inner struggles for one-upsmanship among the lower tiers will be to our advantage. There will always be someone relegated to the outside, who will be trying to gain an in. They can be exploited by a promise of glory and money. AND the reason they ARE kept on the outside is usually because they are not brightest wick on the candelabra."

"THIS is where my contribution will be most evident. I am not a great man-at-arms, and I would assume one or more of these has already been provided you." He paused a moment to see if Miro would volunteer a confirmation of this. "Nor is there any need for you to seek a mage." they both chuckled at this.

"I cannot claim to have any high magistrates in my pocket. I have not been here long enough to accomplish that...yet. But I do have friends in many other levels of society. There are slavers that are tasked to accost strangers without commercial leave to be here. I know several of them, and will see if I can uncover any talk of a stranger that has had "noble" clearance to go unmolested. I have standing arrangements with a number of merchants that sell goods of very specific natures and can use the singular needs of my own business to gain insight into what may have bypassed the traditional methods of sale."

He leaned forward, glancing up at the boatmen, and directed a pointed look back to Miro to ask wordlessly if their own boatman could be trusted. "There are other sources as well, those whose presence is soon forgotten and shrugged off as mere scenery, all the while listening in on conversations that may be worth money to others." He once again, let his eyes slide briefly in the direction of the boat pilot. "These of course include slaves, prostitutes, waiters and the like. I have good relations with many of these, as well as with the guards at the entry post by the ferry, which I will confess is how I was first made aware of you."

He sat back again, "So knowledge and tact, yes these are definitely among the benefits I can provide. All the skills of an infiltrator are my purview. Not just the knowledge of applying intimidation or negotiation or subterfuge or what-have-you, but the intuition to know which will glean the greatest yield from the target. There are other forms of aid I can render. I am a skilled crafter of poisons and serums, with a variety of applications. Also, I am quite capable of masking and altering my appearance. And while it takes me more time than it does for a "morph...capable" mage, there are no duration or side-effect concerns, and there is the intangible bonus of not having become "reliant" on djed to accomplish it.

"I will not insult you with some facade of false generosity or philanthropy, and will come right out and say that I am interested to know what I can hope to receive for my assistance. You spoke of yourself as a "lasting asset I could call on". Are we talking future partnership? A powerful contact in another city? An shadowy organization of power in the making? Don't get me wrong, I do not downplay the tremendous benefit that any of these would be to me, but they are vague future promises in exchange for tangible aid in the here and now. I would hope for something a little more presently lucrative than just the fun of being involved, though I will not downplay that either."

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Miro on November 12th, 2013, 12:20 am

Miro was not one to be in on Sahovan politics. It was a place where somehow he could go ignored, even a master on par with their head Reimancer. Arguably more skilled than the master the isle had to offer. The fool was lost to overgiving, though arguably it could be deemed an advantage. His experience at least counted for something. Either way he was not one to care all too much about the subtleties of what he would do, but rather one to work as a catalyst should and cause change and accept the results. Though he would ensure that change suited him.

"If you are expecting to find out more about the artifact and what importance it holds, bite your tongue. It is not spite, nor mistrust, but ignorance. I do not know any of this for sure, so your deduction of his motive is as good as mine." The wizard smirked at his company. At least he could make his talents known. He was quick with wits and tact, and understood the politics of the city well enough. Eventually this man would have a network of connections. Best of all he could work his way in many places and come out with what was needed.

"I am glad to have you around then. I see you have a wide variety of skills to offer, and things you can accomplish with subtlety. As for what you can hope to receive, I can offer perhaps a few things. Coin, magic, unique goods, and access to my talents should you need them. However I am one to work on a sense of loyalty, something that shall not be violated. To betray me would mean that you would find yourself in a situation much like Nyka. And that would be a shame, because I have already learned your lesson."

The wizard gave an eerie chuckle. He was enjoying himself. "Though if you were someone I could trust, someone who wouldn't betray me, someone who wouldn't need be destroyed, then I could offer you all that I am capable of providing. Though I am not one to work on false generosity either, and know that trust and loyalty at such a level comes with a price. I could see myself partnering with you, coming to your aid in another city, even bringing you in if ever I do find a shadowy organization to make. But there is something you will have to understand." He leaned in closely to his friend and grinned widely enough to display his sharp fangs.

"To be aligned with me, it means to be free, truly it does. You are free to ask for my possessions, my abilities, my contacts, everything that makes me powerful can be given away or lent to you under the right conditions. Though I will not put that kind of power into the hands of somebody who could pose a threat to me, somebody who could be compromised. Any who are that close, if they are not true, when it is deemed necessary...they will be gotten rid of. But those who are true needn't worry. And rarely if ever do I offer an opportunity to someone without it being of great benefit to them. If it is not, I ensure it is."

"Where exactly are you going with this endeavor of yours? It seems as if you are priming the man for something. I do not see your plan or direction in this, nor do I trust the man to even begin to shadow such things are possible." But Miro knew where this would go, and he hardly trusted Clark either. Though he would trust his habit of playing it safe and spotting a choice opportunity. "I do not expect to be in touch with the man much, but I do expect him to do a service for me. Ensure that he will not betray the information I have given him and go in on his own."

The Reimancer stood and turned around to face away from Clark. "If you bring in Forus for me, I shall reward you with having my favor. Something you can receive reward from then, ask another favor of me later, or keep me indebted to you. But even after the act is repaid, I will remember our history and your results. Should you wish to further our relationship then, it would be very easy for you. I do not even know what I wish to do with the artifact, for I feel Sahova has disappointed me in a similar way that Nyka has you."

A malicious grin grew on his face, and he knew what the future must hold for him. The winner of the hunt for Forus would be him. "If it was worth Forus abandoning his perks, then surely it would be worth abandoning possible perks and rewards. The trip there and back involves so much time and complication, only to return to a dull dead place." He hesitated for a moment. "No, I do not think I will return Forus or the artifact. Ravok has so much to offer, and Rhysol is a worthy god." A slight cackle came forth. "And it would be so simple to be on an endless chase, or to claim he slipped away." The cackle morphed into a full laugh.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on November 15th, 2013, 4:59 am

"If you are expecting to find out more about the artifact and what importance it holds, bite your tongue. It is not spite, nor mistrust, but ignorance. I do not know any of this for sure, so your deduction of his motive is as good as mine."

The words rang entirely true as the masked man continued to outline the parameters of partnership. Inoadar wished that he knew more about what this "Forus" had spirited away from Sahova, but at least he had a good grip on what to expect from Miro. It aligned quite well with his own expectations.

As he understood it, Miro was offering free use of whatever he could provide, probably with little overseeing, and quite possibly for purposes not of Miro's agenda. It stood to reason that this last aspect should not be expected to be a frequent thing, nor should it EVER run CONTRARY to Miro's own agenda. But for the most part, as long as he had progress to offer, he could expect support in his own endeavors. The only real guideline was that the degree to which he could expect favors of effort and assets on his behalf, would be equal to the effort and assets he volunteered on Miro's.

This suited him very well, though he expected his assets would more in the area of connections as opposed to materials. But he could tell that Miro recognized this to be of great value. It represented work and effort as much as material goods. The planning, the timing, the intimidation, the subterfuge, the bribes, the blackmail. A partnership with this man had boundless potential. And while he would never be the "power" behind this "throne", he could be the very effective "shadow" cast by the gleam of this man's dynamic aura.

They complemented each other perfectly. Miro was up-front power, the visible threat, the "face" of their collaboration. While Inoadar was the intangibles, the arrangements. From a theater viewpoint, Miro was the lead actor, the talent, and the one people would remember, while Inoadar was the manager, the scriptwriter and the stagehand. Inoadar would get them to where they needed to go, and Miro would erupt into action.

Some might think it arrogant of Miro to speak of his favor as being a reward in and of itself. Maybe so, but it was an arrogance borne of reality, and the recognition of it. Inoadar had asked if there was something more tangible he could expect from his assistance, and Miro had basically answered "what more could you need?" Inoadar appreciated not only the confidence, but the way in which Miro's attitude dismissed his question, while still acknowledging it as a sensible query.

To Inoadar, Miro was the next logical step up to power. And while it was certain that they would go their separate ways eventually, right now, Inoadar knew that HE was Miro's next logical step up to knowing the theater of his operation. And the mage's dropped hints that he might not feel compelled to return to Sahova were the icing on the cake.

He made no attempt to conceal his grin. "If you require formal acceptance, I give it now. I am taking this to mean that I can expect your support in directions that are unrelated to your mission here, as long as I give worthy effort TO your mission. I will give you the courtesy of admitting that I'd like to see this item remain here in Ravok. If not workable to stay in our own control, then the favor of one of the high families is also a tremendous reward. Barring that, it would be a great gift to Rhysol himself, and there is no higher favor than that. But I will not seek to upstage your designs, toward these ends, though you may see signs of preparations put in place, just in case. Again, I am only leveling with you."

"We all seek what is best for ourselves individually. And we all have to weigh the benefit of success against the detriment of resentment caused among our UNsucessful peers. I do not know who else you are teamed with, or how extensive a partnership you have with them. I can only say that I see it as in your best interest to stay in Ravok and revel in the freedom. If these others do not see it this way, it is their loss, and you should not make it yours. But of course, this is your decision to make. I will not seek to upstage this either."

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Miro on November 15th, 2013, 10:51 pm

Clark made his intentions clear, or at least what he wanted the wizard to believe them to be. They were acceptable either way, though he trusted that there was a second deal being made. Whether or not it was true did not matter, the outcome would be the same. Miro wanted things to work out in his own favor, and Clark as well wanted to see that he got the most out of everything. Which could in some very grim instances mean making a choice that turns out very favorably for one and quite the opposite for the other.

For the Reimancer, this would not mean taking all of the profit and dealing away with Clark. In all likeliness it meant the opposite, that he would keep the man close. But he would expect that his acquaintance would much prefer the route of slipping away with the artifact while Miro is left to deal with Forus. Though he trusted the man not fool enough to attempt such a thing. As an agent of choas he was in fact compelled to tempt Clark with a chance to test his character. It would likely end in death if he chose to play, but such games were always fun.

What Clark offered was quite reasonable though, and just what Miro was thinking. And he offered it in a way as not to push anything, just present options. In fact the undead already had some idea of what he wanted to do with Forus if not return him to Sahova. A defect from the Undead Isle could easily prove able to aid the city in some way. The Institute could benefit from a powerful Magecrafting professor. And the artifact, whatever it may be, the Black Sun could make use of its power. If it were not better in the hands of Miro himself.

Best of all Clark offered freedom. To trade in Sahova's mistake for favor with Rhysol seemed a much simpler option. Especially if in someway Rayage could prove Forus' death and successfully claim the artifact lost beyond recovery without fault attributed to him. "I am glad to see you are on board my friend. And I definitely do understand the potential reward that Ravok offers. I know not what I will do, but I know what I will not do. Forus and the artifact will not return to Sahova. However you misunderstand one thing about me. I would not betray someone who offered me such a chance." The wizard began to run his nails along his Familiar and move a bit closer to Clark.

"I may betray his original plan, but he would be compensated just as well, if not better." He got nearer to Clark still, attempting to invade his personal space in slight. The Hypnotist expanded his aura of influence to envelop the man. Miro looked Clark in the eyes and began to flow Djed through the stare. The glint in the gray undead eyes would inspire a glint of confidence as it was met. "Those who can be counted on to further my cause will have their own furthered whether or not it is asked for. My dues are always paid. Friends find themselves smiling and enemies find themselves face down."

The wizard came in closer and was urged to cast again, but suppressed it for now. "I will expect you to continue to work in my favor and see this to completion. Should you need to meet, simply slide a letter under my door. I will expect you to meet in with me within a season, or as soon as you make any notable discoveries. In this time I shall arrange all I can to gather the necessary resources to get to Forus. I will also arrange a plan for how to best trade our assets for rewards. After that, you will get your reward, and I shall look forward to tapping you as a resource."

Miro was nearly done with Clark. After this they would part ways for some time, pretend they did not know each other. "If you have anything else to add, perhaps now is the time. Or if you have any plans or ideas that may enhance our relationship, speak them now. I am not short on time, but I find myself short on business to discuss." Though he would admit it did feel as if there was something else to be done before their business would be concluded. He placed his staff on the bed and turned back to Clark.

Once again he extended his aura of influence and focused Djed to his eyes. He reached a hand out to extend an offer for Clark to shake his hand. The emotional response directed through his stare would inspire a feeling of importance when met. Though this time he would prepare a spell to be cast through his voice as well. His spoken words would be imprinted into Clark's subconscious. "Together we flourish, alone you wither. With me you are in the best position to further your goals." He gave a confident smirk. "That is a promise."

Ender laughed again at Miro. "Tell a man who pried into your business all about your important task and set him free for a season to make progress alone. It is enough that you will not mention my existence, for I shall be leverage for you. We keep my true existence hidden from you and I will act as a spy when the time is true. You know nothing for certain about this man, only a name and a face. And as you have to remember with Forus, a name is as easy to cycle through and fake as any lie. Who are you to know any better?" But the master was not interested in what he had to offer. "It matters not what I call a man when I know his face and he knows my capabilities. I accept all challenges against me."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Inoadar on November 17th, 2013, 9:47 am

The more the masked man said, the more Inoadar knew he'd made the right decision. The sense of impending success was palpable. He felt a pang of regret that he had hinted to Miro that he should disassociate himself from the others upon completion of this effort, but quickly came to feel that Miro had not actually taken offense, but had only wanted to clarify his position.

However, he knew that he was unlikely to "turn" a member of one of the middle tier families by himself. He would need some backing. The kind that Miro himself did not yet have here in Ravok. High family backing. He did not yet know how he would accomplish that, but he trusted in Rhysol's grace to allow him to recognize the opportunity when it occurred. In the meantime, he would pursue those means that were available to him.

"I find nothing to add only one thing to ask. I feel confident of success. I will say now though, that I may be driven to pursue a lead without being able to consult you first. I will be giving as much thought as to how I will go about reaching the higher levels of information as I will about dealing with those of my own station. I believe I am understanding you correctly that we will try not to be seen together until we are ready to make a move. So all I am curious about is whether you would want me to give messages to this boatman, Renzy? I have friends among these boatmen and may find it expedient to give him the message, If you feel he is a...safe conduit...for information."

Inoadar still wanted to check this "Renzy" fellow out, but did not want to imply that he did not trust Miro's judgement. There was a sense that he did not need to worry about such things. That the confidence he felt right now was beyond skepticism. Well, the Ravosalamen were one of the sources he intended to make use of. Surely if there was anything unstable there, it would betray itself. He shrugged off his concern. 'If Miro was not worried, why should he?'

OOC - continued here.
Last edited by Inoadar on November 23rd, 2013, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Cold Pursuit (Miro)

Postby Miro on November 17th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Miro was almost entirely satisfied with Clark and their plan. The last bits of information were useful and put the wizard's mind at ease. Though the last inquiry did not hold the same settling effect on his mind. Ender was equally troubled and did not wait to voice his opinion. It was surprising that Clark would even mention trusting Renzy at all. It did seem quite uncharacteristic, but perhaps Miro had given hint that there was some form of relationship between them. There was not, just that it seemed the man had some obsession with the Reimancer.

"Do not let Clark trust Renzy or ANY Ravosalaman. They are shifty characters with massive ears and mouths that obscure the rest of their features almost entirely. They are the type best taken information from, never given to. See to it that your asset doesn't turn liability and leak our information about town. You shall not allow him to do such a foolish thing!" Miro scowled at the foul remark, but would reply nonetheless. He did not need any of the disrespect issued. "I do not trust Renzy, nor do I trust any of these boatmen, but I expect that Clark has arrangements that shield him from much risk. He is a careful and crafty man like that. However he asked if I trust Renzy, which I of course don't."

"No Clark, Renzy if definitely not to be trusted. With compensation he is easy to manipulate. However, even then, I would not put it past him to loose your information to those around. And even if the message were delivered in a letter, I would expect him tempted to read it. The man is a lush, and likely to even lose such things. I hardly trust him to take me around on a good day. Do not mistake his knowledge of my name, face and home as a kinship with him. There are none in the city besides yourself that I trust this information with. Nobody else but you."

Miro walked to the door and held it open with a smile. "And you do assume correct, we shall not see each other until it is time to progress our plan. Shall we see each other around, perhaps it would be best to turn our glances elsewhere. However if ever you need my assistance or have information for me, I am only a letter away. Perhaps when the time is right we will meet again at the Spot." The undead bubbling with confidence gestured for the man to leave his residence. And though he hoped it would not come across crass, he rightly didn't care. As the man would walk out the door he would speak one farewell softly. "Goodbye Clark. Good luck with your hunting trip. I hope you bring back a big one!" And the door closed with a loud thud.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext