First Patrol [Complete]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

First Patrol [Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 17th, 2010, 11:58 am

After shaking the man's hand firmly, Kane knew the knight as John Griffin, and already he seemed a much more civilized sort than many he'd already met, though it could be the training he'd been through, or his upbringing... any number of things. The inland cities were known for their more civilized approach, Syrliras specifically due to the knights themselves. "Is there something I can help you with?"

Well, yes, there is... Kane thought, thinking on how to ask it. The only real thing that mattered was that he'd offered to help, and such an offer went over quite well in Kane's mind, already he'd begun to ponder just what he should say, his lips drawing to the right in thought, though after a moment his impatience got the better of him and he decided to be blunt.

"Yes, John, there is. Assistance requiring a knightly persona like your own, actually..." Pausing for a moment before continuing, considering his wording, Kane looked to John's armor with a wistful eye, "I wish to join the Order, though I'm without a patron." Placing his left thumb between his equipment belt and himself, he allowed it to simply hang there, resting, not unlike the right hand, which still lay on the pommel of his blade. "And so though this may seem a bit rushed, but I've no time for simple prattling and I apologize, but do you have a squire currently?" Looking to John as he waited, he straightened his posture slightly as he concluded, almost thinking out loud, "As a knight you could take almost anyone on, and so could any other, though after one of higher authority has approved me, yes?"

It was odd that he'd spoken so much, having not spoken like this since the last time he saw Balor before he died, but the situation called for it, and this could be his chance into the Order, something to make all the work escaping Sunberth and the Wilderness worth it, though it all hinged on John's answer. Of course, he could always try to find another Knight, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.
Kane Roth
Player

Words: 74098
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

First Patrol [Open]

Postby John Griffin on July 17th, 2010, 12:25 pm

John stood patiently as Kane deliberated over the question before answering extremely candidly. Before the question had been asked, John never would have guessed that Kane would give such an answer, that the large man desired to be a Knight. But there it was. John's mouth opened slightly, his surprise evident. For a few moments he stood there, at a loss for words.

Finally his thoughts caught up and he closed his mouth for a second before he answered. "I do not have a squire. Indeed I must tell you that I was knighted naught but three days ago. But three days or three years, yes I could be a Patron for someone such as yourself, provided either Grandmaster Dyres or Lord Knight Alvikal do not disapprove after they interview you."

John shifted uncomfortably. "However as a patron, I would be vouching for you, for your honor, integrity, and your ethics. But I hardly know you." He shifted again. John wanted to help the man, but he simply couldn't just vouch for him. He needed to at least get to know him a little. He thought it noble at the very least that Kane wished to join the Order, for there were plenty happy to simply live in Syliras protected by the knights, without giving a whole lot back.

"Perhaps..." the young knight paused. "Perhaps we could meet again when I am off duty. Spend an evening talking, getting to know each other a little. Then maybe I can better gauge your character." He laughed, realizing he probably sounded pretentious. "Sorry if that sounds offensive, I simply mean we should talk so I can get a better feel for you before I, potentially, vouch for you." He didn't want to make any promises he couldn't keep, but was more than willing to try to help. The idea seemed solid to John. Spend an evening getting to know the man, then become his Patron and take him to be interviewed. Then he'd have himself a squire, an adult one at that, which could be extremely useful, especially as a sparring partner.

"So, Kane. What do you think? I doubt you'll find a knight that will vouch for you without so much as an evening of conversation. You're welcome to try, of course."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

First Patrol [Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 17th, 2010, 12:46 pm

Kane listened as the knight spoke, and a smile began to creep, however faint onto his face, not one of those, What an idiot, man I got a good deal. kind of smiles, but a genuine smile, a happy smile. The Knight spoke of vouching, and of what it meant; that John would take Kane's views into his own hands, if not but for a while, and assume the same responsibilities for Kane's actions as Kane shared. This is the beginning, Kane thought, a chance at redemption, if nothing else.

"Perhaps we could meet again when I am off duty. Spend an evening talking, getting to know each other a little. Then maybe I can better gauge your character." To Kane, this seemed a fair trade, a chance at squirehood in return for a few brews, and thought more on the matter as the Knight continued, "Sorry if that sounds offensive, I simply mean we should talk so I can get a better feel for you before I, potentially, vouch for you." For good reason, yes, one such as Kane shouldn't be vouched for lightly, considering his past, but that could be overcome, and the chance to do so had presented itself, a chance that, as John puts it, might remain the same across the board, and so, in response to the young knight, Kane smiled as he answered,

"Sounds like an excellent offer, and I'm a stranger in a strange land here, don't know if I want to try for a better chance. When and where, John?"
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

First Patrol [Open]

Postby John Griffin on July 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm

John thought he saw the traces of a smile on Kane's face as the young knight explained his position and his offer. That's as good a sign as any. I just hope he is good-hearted enough to join the Order. Finally, John finished his spiel. With hardly any hesitation the larger man agreed, and now it was John's turn to smile, though his was hardly faint.

John took a quick look around, both to give pause enough for him to think of a time and location, as well as to take a look at the surroundings which he had neglected for the past few minutes, since he was supposed to be on patrol.

After a moment, John said, "The Rearing Stallion tavern would be suitable, I think. Cheap food and drink, and an amiable enough atmosphere. I have patrol for the next few days, so how about after that. Seven in the evening on the eighth sound good?"

OOC: If that's good, feel free to start up a post for that meeting if you want. Otherwise I'll do it once you've responded here :)
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

First Patrol [Open]

Postby Kane Roth on July 17th, 2010, 1:42 pm

The knight smiled as Kane gave his answer, and as he took a glance around Kane'd realized just what he'd done by distracting him... no telling what happened while they were conversing. Still, soon after John gave his answer, the Rearing Stallion tavern, sounded to be a good enough place from the way he described it, and the time; the eighth, around seven. Raising his right hand in hail, Kane answered, "Sounds excellent, John. Look forward to seeing you there."

((OOC: Already startin', man.))
Kane Roth
Player

Character sheet

First Patrol [Open]

Postby John Griffin on July 17th, 2010, 2:14 pm

It was settled then. John was excited, ever hopeful that this would pan out in everyone's best interest. He could get a squire that was not a child, with whom he could train and study, and Kane could get a patron, to support his entry into the Order, and to help him along towards the day he might approach the Windoak and receive his Knight's quest. John raised his hand as well, responding, "Good. I'll see you at the Stallion then, Kane."

With a single nod of acknowledgment John turned away from the potential squire and continued on his patrol. He had spent enough time on Traveler's Row, and had a fortuitous meeting. The day was looking good.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Previous