Completed Setting Up

In Which Freedom Is Kinda Complicated

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Setting Up

Postby Kit Rowan on June 20th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Day 13, Season of Summer, 513 AV, 20th Bell

With the Cripple, her 'master,' left maimed in his home, Kit made her way through the streets with dignity. For about as long as it took her to retrieve her mizas from their hiding place. Then she ran, and ran, and prayed to no one in particular. But if the city was going to rouse to chase Kit down, it was slow to do so. Perhaps the Cripple was hesitant to admit to anyone what had happened. Perhaps it was taken as a matter of course that she would be discovered. Or perhaps no one cared enough for the broken shell of a man to make a fuss too quickly.

Either way, Kit had a reprieve. She breathed in and out, pounded her fist into her chest, willing her heart to slow, wishing her body would accept the case she was trying to make to her mind. I'm as good as free, she thought, but her wrists remembered manacles and her spirit remembered fear.

She found a spot she could be alone, with no windows down a long, winding canal with narrow sides that Kit's mind labeled back alley.. Kit held her little bundle of clothes against her chest and wondered . . . who would she become? The identity she built for herself in Ravok would be made around the name she next picked, the body she next designed. It had best be a good one.

Could she be a girly-girl, trying to find her way? No, all other things aside, Kit just wasn't very good at it. Maybe she could be a street performer with another face? Again no . . . The Cripple or his slaves might see, hear her voice and put two and two together. A street rat then, someone cunning and clever and willing to learn the secrets of the world.

She could make that work. Her features and hair and skin flickered and changed, threading through colors and shapes and discarding them out of hand. She picked dark hair, no, brown hair. Any illusion to her body shape would fall apart on touch, so best make that change to color, slightly darker . . .

A little focus and her brand, too, faded away like it was nothing. As far as anyone in Ravok gave a damn, she was a free girl. A free girl with nowhere to go and not a miza to her name. But a free girl. Kit ran her palms down her face and walked to the edge of the water, squatted down and peered at the water. In the evening light, the it was dark and reflective. The face that looked back at her in the water looked strange and foreign. Kit smiled at it, scowled at it, stuck out her tongue at it, testing new expressions on her new seeming of a face.

A name. She needed a new name. Her old slavers knew that she was Kit, and if Jet and the Cripple had paid any attention they knew she preferred Kit to their pet name. She remembered the names of old mentors and old friends. "Shy." Kit said to the stranger in the water, and bit down on her lower lip, tested the taste of it in her mouth. "Your name is Shy . . . Carsma."

And that was that.

Last edited by Kit Rowan on July 19th, 2013, 11:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Setting Up

Postby Kit Rowan on June 20th, 2013, 5:35 pm

What were her resources?

Kit had a slim little black shirt that exposed too much stomach and all her arms and a pair of close-woven pants to go with it. She had her old pants and shirt that she wore in off-bells, could jump and leap like anyone's business, warp the perception of anyone watching and play with the wind and air with magic until she got sick or mad or both. And a hat.

Not a stunning list, Kit thought.

Her hat had served her well through the years, collected all the donations passerbys offered to her and held them faithfully. She picked it up and ran a hand softly along its broad brim. Two years she'd had this hat, and it had served her well. "You've done well by me," she said. "I think it's time for you to help out one last time." Kit remembered complaining about its cost when she'd nabbed it in the Bizarre.

There was worth in this hat, if she had the cunning to barter it up. Though the sides were limping a little and worn, though the inside of the hat was made terrible lumpy by the way it had held so many coins over the years, doubtless it was worth something to someone. She just had to find them.

Last edited by Kit Rowan on July 19th, 2013, 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Setting Up

Postby Kit Rowan on June 22nd, 2013, 2:48 pm

"For this . . . Two gold, I think."

"Five."

"Oooh, must we do this, darling?"

Kit glanced over her shoulder at the mountain of a man standing by the door and forced her smile to stay on. Was she making conversation, trying to force a better deal with the implied threat of her enforcer? Kit decided to call the bluff laid her arms on the counter of the Odds and Ends little shop, steepled her fingers and smiled. "'fraid so."

She waited for the old woman to look to the big man and have Kit thrown bodily out of the store. Small blessings, she did not.

The rotund old woman had a policy of negotiation that Kit wasn't all too familiar with. In the Bizarre this would be where customer and shop owner would start shouting at one another till both threw up their hands, settled on a price and left each other with rude gestures and a promise to see each other again next week. Her pleasantness threw Kit off. "Well then . . ." She lifted the broad-brimmed hat off the counter and examined its edges, explored its shape with her fingers. "I suppose it has years in it yet . . . But I cannot promise more than three gold, you understand."

Kit felt a feeble ship in unfamiliar waters. "It'll do just fine," she said, and waited for the old woman to hang the hat up on a rack and recover three gold pieces from hidden places in her shop.

"Here you go, darling," she said, and laid down the pieces for Kit to take. "Will that be all."

Kit tapped her fingers against the counter and shook her head no. "Do you figure . . ." she asked, thoughtful, ". . . Have anything my size?"

OOCSold 1 Used Broad-brimmed Hat +3 gm
Purchased 3 Cotton shirts - 3 sm
Purchasd 3 Cotton pants - 3 sm
Purchased 1 Cotton Hood - 5 cm
Purchased 1 Leather Belt - 2 sm

Last edited by Kit Rowan on August 19th, 2013, 7:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Setting Up

Postby Kit Rowan on June 22nd, 2013, 4:40 pm

Kit tried to switch between personages between purchases. She had no idea how thorough they would be in trying to find her, but she certainly did not want them knowing that a girl bearing a startling resemblance to Shy had been seen getting a new wardrobe and stalking around the merchant's ring in search of essentials.

Her disguise felt . . . Incomplete? She remembered a store that she had found while she was wandering, little hole in the wall place called Tine's. It was altogether too close to the slave market for her taste, truth be told, but it begged investigation; the sort of place civilized persons did their best to ignore. It seemed to Kit that would be a rather excellent place to start looking for something to ease her mind. Kit built a deliberately suspicious image; dark hair, dark clothes, dark everything, and walked inside.

She was immediately assailed by rotten-yellow teeth and a breath that smelled like a cat that died in an all a week ago attached to a man wearing some of the fanciest clothes Kit had ever seen. Kit winced back before she could stop herself, revolted.

Tine did not seem to mind. Perhaps it was not such an uncommon reaction. "Ahhhh, welcome to my game, would you like to play?" He grinned his broken yellow grin and Kit fought the urge to step out of the shop immediately. She looked away from him, examined his shop to give her time to regain her composure.

It was piled higher with crap. Most shops were designed deliberately to showcase wares, with little examples hung out on the shelves for people to draw up, so that the shopkeeper could retreat in the back to get more. But this place was full with piles upon piles upon piles of miscellaneous things. If Tine wasn't a fence of some sort, Kit would eat her cloak. "I don't know." Kit crossed her arms and looked up at Tine. "What have you got to play?" Ack, terrible retort. Kit made a note to think these things through a little more, next time.

"Ah-ha! I have goods from all of Mizahar, I have every game! This mask, yes, plated with real gold. And this stick, made with a branch of a tree from Caiyha-blessed spires. And, ha! You will surely enjoy . . ." Kit kept herself stone-faced and did her best to tune out his sales pitch. At last he held out a small, dark package. "All tools for a prominent actor here! A bell and expert hand could make a man seem a woman, a woman seem a man! Not even your mother would know you!"

"Oh?" Kit asked. "How much?" He said a word, and Kit's face blanched. It was a good thing she had Ionu's gift on her side. "Seems interesting," she said, trying to sound dubious. "But wouldn't they know you by your voice?"

"Ha-AH!" Tine help up a finger and turned around, rummaging through the shelves until he found a small metal ring, with something stretch between it. "This," he said, waving it in Kit's face. "Is a bird's tongue! Leave it on the back of your tongue, and . . ." He popped it into his mouth. "Your voice, it changes!" And it had! It was higher than it was before. Maybe this was what Kit needed to complete her disguise. Tine spat it out of his mouth and held it out toward her. "You are interested?"

Kit stared at his hand with an odd expression on her face. "As long as you don't try to sell me that one."

OOCPurchased 1 Bird's Tongue -3 gm

Last edited by Kit Rowan on July 19th, 2013, 4:32 am, edited 9 times in total.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Setting Up

Postby Kit Rowan on July 3rd, 2013, 7:41 am

Immediately after she stepped out of the shop Kit felt that something was wrong. The walkways were empty . . . but it felt as though they weren't. Kit heard the soft rustle of clothes in the darkness. Or thought she did. The silhouette of a man stood in an alley, waiting. Maybe.

Kit paused and scratched a hand on her chin. She turned around, walking quickly down the street the other way.

In retrospect? Shopping after dark in the city of evil? Bad idea.

When she turned the corner, Kit saw an ethereal light floating down the middle of the canal. As it became closer, it solidified into a lantern dangling over a Ravosala, propped up against the back so that it hung over the vessel. She drew on her mark again, became Shy and slipped the bird's tongue into her mouth.

She waved down the Ravosala, a piece of copper pinched between her fingers, and the ferryman pushed it closer, relaxed and at ease. Kit glanced over her shoulder, watching for her pursuers. Nothing.

"Well hey there little lady," the Ravosala man said. The lantern was perched in the back and glowed a healthy orange, a little island of light in the dark waters of the canal. "Your mum and da know you're out this late, here?"

"I . . ." Kit blinked, her voice strange and high in her own ears. Her voice was rather high to begin with; with the bird's tongue warping her voice she couldn't it a grown voice herself. Best not deny it. She shook her head and forced herself to move on in spite of the strangeness. "Can't say they do, can't say they'd care. You know the way to Tarsin's?"

There was a flicker of something in his eyes. Something colder, maybe? But his voice was as cheery as ever. "Do I!" He said, pushing himself closer to the walkway. Kit glanced over her shoulder again, measured the Ravosalaman against the kindly one and stepped into the boat. "Steady there now, or you'll tip us over. You mind a little, ah, preemptive payment?"

Kit looked at the Ravosalaman straight on, reached into her pockets and pulled out a copper. "This might be all you get," she said in her too-high voice, laying the miza down with a clack on the wood of the boat.

What was with this 'little bird' thing? The Ravosalaman shook his head sadly, pressed his pole against the walkway and pushed off. "Girl, you're a cold one. Most runs? I'll get several coppers."

Kit breathed, tapped a finger against her thigh. The Ravsolaman's shadow fell over her as she tried to find some phantom of dishonesty in his face. Was he cheating her? Was he not? Kit wished she had paid closer attention toe the Ravosalas before, so that she could know for sure. Finally, reluctantly she pulled out five more coppers and slapped them in her hand.

One eyebrow rose and he smiled, with genuine mirth this time. "Thank you kindly, girl." He reached up and ruffled a hand through Kit's hair; the boat was too small for her to scoot away there wasn't really much she could do about it. They glided through the dark waters, the light of the Ravosalaman's lantern the brightest thing there was to see.

Three dark shapes ran somewhere to Kit's right. She heard their footfalls grow louder and louder and then softer and softer. Kit breathed a sigh of relief and eased some tension she hadn't known was there from her shoulders.

They passed beneath a bridge, and in the lantern's glow Kit saw a regal bust of a man erected into its side. It stared down on them with pupilless eyes and a smile . . . It was the smile of someone who'd an unpleasant surprise in store for whoever he was looking at. Was he looking at her, Kit wondered?

"You aren't from Ravok are you, lass?" Kit turned around, shoulders suddenly getting tight, but the man at the other end of the Ravosala was smiling. "Relax, relax. Rhysol's my god first god, but a generous rider?" He held the silver between his fingers and smiled something wicked. "My second. If it was a little lighter out, I'd offer you the full tour. For a price, of course."

Kit tried to measure his sincerity, but he had his back to the lantern, and much of his face was in shadow. "Alright," she said, and hugged herself a little tighter. "Alright."

"See? I ain't so scary. So tell me, what do you think of our good city?" Kit could hear pride in his voice. Best feed that pride, she thought.

Kit scratched behind her head and smiled sheepishly. "You know, I'll be honest was expecting something nasty. God of chaos, right? I thought, that can't be good."

"Yeah?" Some of the amusement had bled out of his voice.

"But look at this place," Kit said. "You ever seen a more beautiful city in your life? I ain't." Kit was sure that Ionu would understand that she was lying, and why. "You expect something nasty, and come on clean streets, and the people!" She said, and offered the Ravosalaman a smile. "I've never seen a better people."

Even before he spoke, she could feel satisfaction radiating off her guide. Some of that coldness went out of his eyes. "Aaah yes, there isn't a city as great as ours. With the Voice at our helm, there ain't no one who can bring our Ravok down."

It seemed to Kit that this was a speech that this man had prepared in advance and never got a chance to say. "The Voice?" She asked, egging him further on.

"The Voice!" He said, "Rhysol's wife and lover; she keeps the city sane and makes the gears go round year after season to season." A God's lover. She couldn't quite keep the shock out of her eyes, but the Ravosalaman seemed too taken up in his story to notice. "They keep us safe and give us purpose. You're a lucky girl, no matter where you go in this broken old world you'll never find a better place than this one. That I guarantee. So where you from?"

Where was she from, where was she from . . . "Alvadas, actually." Kit said. The truth; a lie's best seasoning. "We got a little group together, started traveling so we could get here, but Mom and Da . . ."

Kit could feel him looking her over. "Ach, sorry to bring it up. No need to go further. I gotta say though, I was expecting you to be from a bit further south."

"Like Ekytol, maybe?" Kit asked, and this time she was on familiar ground. She remembered what her friend back in Alvadas used to say when someone brought up the point and put on a jaunty smile. "Benshiran sailor came up the coast and did a little sinning, left my poor grammy with a big belly so he could cry on home back to Yahal about the mean temptress who'd seduced him."

Her guide made a tsk sound in the back of his throat. "Well ain't that the way of things? They'll call fire on you and me for our sins and turn around to do the same themselves and try to fix it all with prayer. Hypocrites." He spat into the water.

"Yeah . . ."

"Almost there, now. You got a name, sweetling?"

"I do. Shy."

"Shy? Curious name to give a girl."

"I think my Mom meant it more a prayer." She gave the Ravosalaman a winning smile.

When he threw back his head and laughed Kit knew she'd won him over then. "I like you, Shy. You're not like other outsiders. Tell you what, I've some advice. You can take it or leave it, but you're better off taking it."

He took Kit's silence for permission to go on.

"Tomorrow, you head to the Citizen Registration Office. The sooner you get that done, the sooner you'll be truly safe. You hear me? It'd be an awful shame if a gem like you got lifted off the street to hand off spoons in someone's kitchen."

"I hear you," Kit said, and wondered what he would think if he knew about the brand on her left shoulder. It was a good thing he would not.

"Well then, we're here. Glad to have met you, little Shy. Hope to see you again sometime soon. And if you ever wanna know something, give a little donation to a Ravosalaman, and you might learn just learn it."

Kit smiled, thanked him and eased herself carefully out of the Ravosala. Her guide nodded his head at her and gave a cheerful wave. She returned them both in kind and made her way into the Boarding House.

For the first time in seasons , Kit would finally wake up a free girl. She had next to nothing to her name, but that thought still warmed her little heart.

Tomorrow, Kit thought, I will be free! The rest she could work out later.

She practically skipped inside.
x
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Setting Up

Postby Alric Wilmot on October 25th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Grades

Kit Rowan
  • planning +1
  • acting +3
  • negotiation +2
  • detection +2

Lores:The Voice, I am Shy

-8 sm
-3 cm

Notes

Secret :
I gave you acting instead of impersonation because it seems you aren't impersonating a person or profession, rather, you've made your own unique character. Please remember to edit your post to reflect that this is graded.
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets