Location The Employment Office

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

The Employment Office

Postby Abstract on June 23rd, 2013, 11:45 am

The Employment Office

ImageThe employment office sits in the celestial quarter, and is a well used building. It's built out of the usual reddish stone mined out of the Nykshela quarries, and is small, only a story high. However, around the always-open door sits four banners, one to represent each celestial. That, and a large sign stating 'Employment' are the main distinguishing facts for the important building. Inside is one large room, though slightly cramped. At the back is four desks, each with a monk sitting on the other side. There is a monk from each quarter here, to give all of the groups an equal chance. By the door, there are simple wooden chairs lining the walls, to give room to sit for those waiting. On either side of the entrance are notice boards, with odd jobs and requests posted on them. The left board is for jobs, whereas the right holds notifications, and general advertising. This is registered in a different way, as one must pay the monks a specific fee in order to advertise their product or service.

To apply for a job, one must simply wait in line for an open monk, and speak to them. There follows a discussion on one's skills and abilities, to deem which occupation is the best for that particular applicant. The monks dislike leaving anyone unemployed, since it aids the city in no way whatsoever. If need be, some will force, or threaten, a person to do something, if no job suits them. It is recommended that those wishing to become monks put their names down here, so they know around how many applicants they will have on the next 20th day, but is not required. For this, it does matter which monk you go to specifically, depending on your preferred celestial.

The odd jobs are another matter entirely. To get one, the applicant simply needs to take the sheet advertising the job from the notice boards. From there, they can bring it to the monks to apply, who will write it down and send you off to work. That done, the worker must return to receive their payment. People can also post up jobs and such here, after registering it with the monks. The job requester must pay the monks up front however much they promised for the work, who will then transfer the money later to the worker. One does not need to head to the monks to register for the jobs on the right board, and instead must head to the employer themselves.

Jobs :
These are the most genaric occupations the monks will offer. On occasion, something slightly more rare and uncommon will pop up, but otherwise, this is it. They are jobs for the city, rather than for private payers. Those would be listed on either the 'odd jobs' or 'advertising' boards.

-Farm laborer
-Dock laborer
-Quarry laborer
-Aurist
-Acolyte
-Priest
-Fisherman
-Doctor/Healer
-Doctor's Assistant
-Scribe
-Philterer
-Voider
-Hunter
-Architect/Engineer
-Scientist/Gadgeteer
-Teacher
-Mercenary
-Reimancer
-Cook
-Livestock tender
-Courier
-Clerk
-Librarian/Sewer in the hall of the robes

Odd Jobs :
These are updated regularly, but generally there is at least five jobs available on the left board, and five advertisements on the right. The numbers do fluxuate.

Left Board:

- Aurist needed for analytical work- Order of the Tempered Anvil.

- Investigators wanted for teaching position- Orders of the Sharp Blade and Heavy Coffers.

- Coast watchers wanted. Protect our children! Punch out Otani! Patience required.- All the seaside parents. Just... All of them.

Right Board:

- Creative mind needed for art made of dead fish.

- What kind of sick petcher makes art out of carrion?

- Well they'll just rot otherwise! What else would we do with them?

- Creative uses for dead fish needed.

- Bear sitter required. Pay is good. Mauling unlikely. - Sam Hazel.

- Engineer wanted for personal project- Azim.

- Acrobat needed to replace a maimed member of our troupe! Contact Pazzarino Piangi.
[spoiler=NPCs]ImageName: Ssartelikess
DOB: 351AV, Spring 90th
POB: Zinrah
Race: Dhani, Constrictor
Title: Monk of Uphis
Gnosis: None
Skills: Wrestling - 75, Greatsword - 53, Book Keeping - 13
Information: Telik is blunt and grumpy, sometimes disliking his job. Still, he enjoys helping people, and the interaction with humans. He often tries to advertise jobs for fighting, but is willing to offer people other jobs. He believes, innately, that all people have a need to fight, and finds it a great way of relieving stress.

Only a few years after he discovered his human form, Telik left his home of Zinrah and began travelling, becoming a better and better fighter. After nearly a decade of this, he found Nyka and fell in love with the city's concept. After learning about the monks and their job, he was determined to join them, and work to protect the city. And fight. It took several years of hard work, but finally the Dhani proved his devotion to Uphis and earned his robes. After nearly thirty years of protecting the streets, he decided to take another path, and found his way to the employment office.

ImageName: Clove Marcus
DOB: 490 AV, Fall 2nd
POB: Nyka
Race: Human
Title: Monk of Skerr
Gnosis: 1 Cultivation
Skills: Agriculture - 45, Persuasion - 32, Negotiation - 29, Book keeping - 53, Unarmed Combat - 22
Information: Clove is one of the few monks out there that actually wears glasses. He's never been particularly willing to fight, though will if needed. Instead, he prefers peace, and things that work logically. He speaks slowly and carefully, and rarely says anything stupid. He's possibly the most empathetic monk in the employment office, and the most helpful. Because of this, those who come back repeatedly will often aim for him, rather than anyone else.

As a child, Clove was on occasion bullied by those older and larger than him. Partially because of his poor eyesight, and partially because he was more of a thinker than a fighter, living in the North Quarter. When he grew older, instead of becoming a weaker man, he became stronger, and applied to the monks. By a feat of luck, he passed all the tests, and took the position. Being one of the more helpful monks, he agreed to work at the Employement office, and had done so for the past few years.

ImageName: Sava Shamol
DOB: 482, Spring 18th
Title: Monk of Laat
Gnosis: N/A
Skills: Persuasion - 45, Negotiation - 51, Throwing disks - 30, Book keeping - 63
Information: Sava can be blunt at times, but usually is good at persuading people that her way, is the right way. She's stubborn, but helpful, and always focused on her job. She will almost never let a person who's come to her walk away without some form of occupation. She will generally try to advertise work that has to do with book keeping, or money, though is willing to offer other jobs to those that come to her.

Sava grew up in Laat's quarter, planning to be a monk all her life. She was smart, and in general looked up to the warriors and protectors. She was incredibly ambitious, and in the fighting test when becoming a monk, she nearly killed the man she fought. Not because she was an amazing fighter, but simply because she was so determined to win, nothing could stop her. After several years of working as a monk, she injured her leg in a particularly nasty fight. It never healed properly, and since then she has walked with a limp. That's what led her to this desk job, and she works it full time, finding various people jobs and the like.

ImageName: Khasapha
DOB: 471AV, Summer 18th
Race: Eypharian
Title: Monk of Xannos
Gnosis: None
Skills: Pottery - 53, Unarmed Combat - 48, Book keeping - 32, Writing - 18
Information: Khas is highly superstitious, and skeptical of anything without solid proof. He is rarely blunt, but instead prefers to weave his words around people, often leaving those he speaks to confused. He also thinks and speaks faster than many can follow, thinking out loud. Despite this, he is incredibly focused and hard working, generally able to do many complex tasks at the same time. Sometimes he will even hold two conversations at once, and still be able to write something down with one of his four arms.

Though Khas was born in Nyka, both of his parents were from Ahnatep, and were new residents by the time he came into the world. Despite the fact that they were unused to the Nykan culture, he quickly understood it, though this caused many an argument between him and his parents. With his extra set of arms, he was able to fight much more easily than any human, and excelled in his work as a monk. He picked up pottery from his parents, and worked on it as a monk, since his favored Celestial was the god of crafting. Because of his time in the north, his skin is much paler than most, and he's even died his hair brown, unlike his natural black.

Last edited by Abstract on July 26th, 2013, 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abstract
In a roundabout way... everything is me

Words: 382975
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2013, 4:06 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (2)

The Employment Office

Postby Victor Freeman on July 3rd, 2013, 2:07 pm

6th of Summer, 513 AV

Jack had not particularly enjoyed his first night in Nyka, spent getting bad looks from strangers and sleeping in the shoddiest in he'd ever seen. He cursed himself for becoming spoiled on the comfortable living he had become accustomed to in Syliras. Sleeping in comfortable beds every night, good times with good friends, good food, and plenty of Miza's from his work as the guard for a local shop. Those Miza's had served him well on his journey to Nyka, but he still wished in retrospect he had not let himself become so posh. But he was younger back then, still in shock at the world open to those who were free. He welcomed the roughness of Nyka now. Nowhere near as miserable as his slavery, but still much tougher to thrive in than a place like Syliras. Money wasn't all there was to power in this city, he sensed. You had to earn your respect here. You had to work to become something more than just another outsider.

That was one of the reasons he was now standing in a long line in the single, cramped room that housed the Nyka employment office. In truth, he knew he had plenty of Miza's to live on for a while. He would need more money eventually, but he wasn't going to starve anytime soon. He was here because he knew he needed to earn a place in Nyka. This city would be his first challenge to himself- a challenge to rise against adversity, and he was sure that if he was willing to learn and grow, he could do it. And this job would be the first step towards that goal.

Eventually, it was his turn to speak with the monk at the desk in front of him. Upon stepping forward, he was asked his name, and asked to describe his skill set to the monk.

"My name is Victor Freeman," He began, "As for skills, I have spent much of my life utilizing my observational abilities to acquire information which supplements the rest of my abilities. I am a competent fighter with my fists, which I trained during my time as a guard in Syliras. I have also spent some time traveling the wilderness of Sylira alone, and have gained a level of skill in surviving where others might not, though I am no expert."
Victor Freeman
Knock Knock

Words: 7478
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2013, 1:13 pm
Character sheet

The Employment Office

Postby Abstract on July 3rd, 2013, 6:28 pm

The monk frowned, and thought on this for several moments. "You say you're good in the wilderness... would that possibly extend to hunting, perhaps?" He thought for several more moments, considering the various possibilities. Nothing fit exactly, but... "It's always possible to work as a genaric labourer, at either the farms, the docks, or the quarries... Or, you could be a courier, if you feel you're physically up for the running." He gave the man a curious look, hoping one of those took the man's fancy.

"Also, you say you're good with your fists? Ever considered trying to become a monk?" He asked with a grin, obviously advertising the occupation. "You could also do something like a soft job... say, be a clerk..." He added as a side note, glancing down at some sheets on his desk. "Any of those take your fancy?"
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

The Employment Office

Postby Victor Freeman on July 5th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Victor listened silently and carefully as the monk went over the different opportunities available to him at the time.

Hunting? 'No...' He thought to himself, 'I had to do a bit of that but it's nothing I'd want to do for a living. Besides, I'd like a trade that keeps me in the city.'

Laborer? 'Yeah right! I labored for 20 years. Never again.'

Courier? 'That sounds..... Promising. See more of the city, meet lots of people- maybe important people, eventually. And good money. It could be what I'm looking for.'

Monk? 'If it weren't for the required religious devotion, I'd love the potential free training.'

Clerk? 'Courier it is, then.'

"You said there's an available job for a courier? I'd definitely be up for a bit of running- need to get back in shape anyways, and having it for a job is two birds with one stone."
Victor Freeman
Knock Knock

Words: 7478
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2013, 1:13 pm
Character sheet

The Employment Office

Postby Abstract on July 5th, 2013, 2:52 pm

The monk nodded at the man's decision, shuffling through a few of his papers. "Alright then! So... just sign here please..." He handed Victor a quill, and pushed a sheet of paper before him. It was a description of a courier's job, with payment and various agreements on it. No fine print. "So... head here tomorrow, and tell them your name, and that you're the new guy. They'll know you're coming" He'd pointed to an address with his own quill as he said this, to show the man.

"So, job wise, just turn up there at eight bells every morning, and they'll give you a bunch of stuff to deliver. Better hope you know your way around the city" He grinned slightly evilly, but continued. "So... you'll make two Laat a day, is that good with you? If you get better at the job, your employers might arrange a raise. But depends..." He nodded sharply, once more, handed Victor a second copy of the sheet he'd just signed, and sent the man on his way. He called up another person, waving at one of the people waiting in line.
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

The Employment Office

Postby Shinzu Kaesar on July 7th, 2013, 5:10 am

9th of Summer, 513 AV

Shinzu headed for the Employment Office in the Celestial Quarter right after he entered the city of Nyaka. A place to sleep can wait. He was not particularly tired and if worst comes to worst, he could survive for one night out in the streets, he was pretty confident of that.

He noticed that there was a relatively short line behind the monk who was in charge of registration and for that he was thankful. Whilst he was not yet fatigued, he could not escape the gnawing hunger within him. He longed to find a quiet spot and devour into what remained of his rations, but eating right in front of the monks may not exactly present the best sort of image.

He waited patiently behind the rest of the eager applicants, running through his mind his possible options for a job. While being hired as a medicine man or healer would be ideal, he understood that it would not be easy and he may have to consider the possibility of working in some labor or trade until a position opens up.

"Worst case scenario, I still have my fists" He muttered under his breath.

Finally, the lined opened and Shinzu was able to approach one of the monks in charge of registration.

"Good Evening. My name is Shinzu Kaesar. I have recently arrived in Nyaka and am hoping to earn a living using the skills I have been blessed with." He said politely, trying his best to refrain from slipping into his usual mischevious self.

"My primary craft is as a medicine man, for I have studied medicine of many years. I cannot tell you much about my master except that he is a man called Kyoushi, but I will be more than happy prove to you that I can treat and heal any regular affliction known to man. To that end, I have also spent some time studying herbs and have some experience with the various types of plants, how to grow them and their medicinal uses." He said exactly as he had rehearsed many times in his head.

"I am also quite competent with my fists, although I do prefer intellectual work compared to brute force and would rather refrain from using them unless absolutely necessary." He added as an afterthought.

He held his breath as the monk pondered and decided over his fate, one of the longest five seconds of his young life.
Shinzu Kaesar
Player

Words: 5958
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2013, 11:35 pm
Character sheet

The Employment Office

Postby Savio on July 16th, 2013, 2:30 am

11th day of Summer, 513AV

Savio looked up at the large building before him; the banners of the four different celestials hanging from its roof and waving lazily in the summer breeze with another sign that stated “Employment”. Clearly he had found the Employment Office, thanks to Vysia’s directions. For such a stern woman, she was quite helpful.

The young man wiped his forehead free of sweat before stepping into the crowded single room. There were four long lines in front of four tables that each contained a monk that represented their favored celestials. Savio chuckled joylessly to himself. Clearly, getting a job here was going to be an all-day event.

Savio moved into one of the lines and waited patiently. Outwardly he seemed calm and rather cheerful but in reality he was bored out of his ever-loving mind. He had never been the one to just sit still and wait for something. Years of his father chastising him for impatience had taught him to appear to be content. He could complain to himself in his mind all he wanted and no one would be the wiser. So he waited… and waited… and waited. The line gradually shrunk until it was finally his turn.

He was greeted by a monk with intelligent and calculating eyes. Savio offered a smile but it wasn’t returned, instead the monk asked Savio for his name and what his skills were. The young man quickly wiped the smile off of his face before speaking, feeling like a fool.

”My name is Savio Cazzola. I am pretty competent in acrobatics such as for entertainment and free running. I also have some skills in Unarmed Combat, Climbing, and Running. I am a hard worker and I would prefer to have a job that keeps me on the move and active. But if you need my talents elsewhere, I will be grateful for any job you have to offer.”

Savio watched the monk closely as he waited for them to appoint his livelihood to him for the duration of his stay in Nyka.

Last edited by Savio on July 16th, 2013, 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Thoughts""Speech""NPC"

Threads: 2/5
Grandfathered Threads To Complete: 6

Signature by Edreina
Savio
If there is no struggle, there is no progress

Words: 200123
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2013, 11:58 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

The Employment Office

Postby Ohirin on July 16th, 2013, 3:16 am

46th of Summer, 513

Ohirin entered the employment office early in the early morning. It was a large building with a fair amount of people within it. The people were all looking for jobs within the city, the same as Ohirin. Upon seeing the notice board Ohirin left the line he had entered to look at it. Browsing these jobs He came upon one that caught his eye, 'Merchant needs guard to watch stall!'. Ohirin quickly grabbed the notice and got back into the line prepared to wait to talk to the monks assigning jobs.

It took a while but Ohirin finally made it to the front of the line and placed the notice on the table in front of the monk. He gave the monk his name and gave him a quick response to the questions about his abilities and waited on the monks reply.
Speech
Common-Pavi
Ohirin
Player

Words: 16911
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2013, 3:45 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

The Employment Office

Postby Abstract on July 18th, 2013, 5:35 pm

OOCSorry for a bit of a delay....

Shinzu

The monk, an Eypharian, looked up at Shinzu and smiled. As he did so, one of his many arms scribbled down the man's name on a piece of paper. "Medicine, you say? I'm pretty sure the infirmary is looking for a healer... if that catches your eye. There are other options however, if you prefer them." He shrugged, not really caring. It was always good to have people working to the best of their abilities, rather than below them. It was simply a waste a people. Turning his attention back to his paper, she shuffled through them and pulled out a prospective sheet, with a bunch of writing.

Savio

The stern-looking woman frowned, and thought for several moments. "Running... you could work as a courier, taking messages through the city and such. Or maybe... just a simple labourer? You don't really look suited to a desk job" She grinned slightly, at her own little joke, before returning to her usual expression. "Anyways, if you work as a courier, youi'd get maybe two gold mizas a day..." She muttered this more as a side not to herself, and gave a sheet of paper she was holding a scrutinizing look.

Ohirin

The monk grinned as the sheet was handed to him, and he gave it a quick glance over. "Alright! He stated, nodding, looking back up to Ohirin. "Wanna be a guard, do you? I'll just write your name down here... and the merchant will be notified. It says the location here, as well as the date you're needed... and your wages." As he stopped talking, he moved his attention to a piece of paper, where he scribbled down several notes and filled in a few blanks. He put it in a neat pile on his desk, and looked up past the prospective-employee, his attention focused on other thing. "Next?" he called to the person standing behind him, making the dissmissal obvious.

OOCOk... next time, could you not just write that you said something? State, what your name and skills are... it caused me a bit of pain, looking up your CS, including losing this post... :)

Job Details :
So... your job starts two days later, the 48th, and will end on the 89th. You'll make 3gm/day, with your skills and stuff (it's a pretty minor job). It's just watching a stall in Nyka.. simple stuff like that.
Abstract

Office
Scrapbook

The Employment Office

Postby Savio on July 18th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Savio shifted on his feet. He liked the idea of working as a courier. It sounded a lot better than working as a simple laborer, and the woman was completely correct that Savio was not suited for a desk job. It wasn’t for lack of intelligence; it was just that Savio was too energetic. But judging from the small smile the female monk had on her face, Savio got the feeling that she had made a joke at his expense and he had completely missed it. He brushed it off and thought of more pressing matters.

Two gold mizas a day didn’t sound like a whole lot but it will have to do for now. He attempted to do the math in his head. At two mizas a day, that would be close to… one-hundred eighty-two gold mizas a season. That should help sustain his current balance of currency, and besides, working as a Courier would help him look for Ximal and get familiar with the city.

Savio’s smile returned. “I am rather interested in the courier job, Ma’am. When and where do I start?”

OOCIts alright, I hope you are enjoying your vacation!

"Thoughts""Speech""NPC"

Threads: 2/5
Grandfathered Threads To Complete: 6

Signature by Edreina
Savio
If there is no struggle, there is no progress

Words: 200123
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2013, 11:58 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook