Flashback A Mother's Truth

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

A Mother's Truth

Postby Edreina on June 30th, 2013, 6:34 am

Fall 48, 508AV
The Anchorage Flotilla
14th Bell

In a flash of red hair and watery blue eyes, Edreina bounded across her parents' vessel, racing towards the door that led below deck.

"Hey hey! You ok?" She was intercepted by her mother, Illsa Whitewave, at the threshold. The matron had been coming above deck to finish some weaving, but halted her bleary eyed daughter as she attempted to escape Syna's gaze.

"I'm fine..." Her words were insubstantial, crumbling the instant they escaped her lips. It was the ageless lie everyone uttered at one point. Whether the soldier that wished to continue fighting for his cause; the child who had been attempting to do something 'cool' in front of their friends but ended up with a scraped knee; the young woman whose rosy ideals were shattered by the utterances of a single man. Despite herself, tears finally escaped their dams and flowed down Edreina's cheeks in a silvery river. Her mother's knowing gaze had coaxed them out.

"Oh mom!" she sobbed, launching herself at her mother. In that instant, Edreina was enveloped in the soothing scent of sun-warmed skin, linen, and ocean air. Her adolescent figure was swaddled in the warmth of her mother's soft figure and gentle arms as she wept inconsolably. Her lithe frame was racked by the severity of the sobs as her breath caught and hitched, creating instances of panicked hyperventilation.

Without realizing it, Edreina was led over to her mother's stool and forced to sit. When all that was left was the occasional desolate sniffle, her mother retreated to arms-length, blue eyes shining with concern. "What happened?"

Anguish turned to anger in the blink of an eye. Such was the way of a tumultuous redhead. She spitefully wiped her eyes, wishing to banish all traces of her pain and bury them beneath a rage that simmered just beneath the surface. "I made a foolish mistake," she muttered petulantly, shaking her fiery mane.

This brought a small smile to the elder woman's experienced face. "We all do at your age. But, my child, what is wrong?"

Edreina sighed and wrapped her arms around herself, glaring out into the Suvan. "I... I gave my heart to a boy who promised me the entire Suvan," she faltered as a lump formed in her throat. "I gave him my Maidenhood. My affection. But in the end he scorned me. He left this morning without even a wave goodbye." Once again she shifted back to anger, pursing her lips.

No amount of wisdom could ail a broken heart. This her mother knew well. But, imparted wisdom may save her daughter from a repetition of this pain. Illsa sighed heavily, prying her daughter's clenched hands away from her torso and into hers. Deep blue eyes beckoned a lighter colored gaze, begging that the words about to be shared be accepted and held close. "My daughter... Men are fickle creatures. They bear no sense of stopping to raise a family, nor of the weight of each promise they whisper into adoring ears. When they are young, they care naught but for their next source of pleasure. You must guard yourself against their trifling ways."

Something about her mother's advice invoked a snort of cynical amusement from Edreina. "I didn't want a family. I just wanted a friend... Someone to share in my joy..." The confession was muttered, as if she spited the need for companionship that had plagued her for so many years.

"Then seek just that, Edreina..." Illsa's expression brightened. And, upon seeing her mother smile, Edreina could do naught but the same. "Live your life seeking what pleases you. If you find someone to share in your pleasure, enjoy it. But do not expect for their companionship to last until your next adventure. Do not seek love. Do not attempt to see it where only friendship exists." The woman nodded the conclusion of her advice and stood, leaving Edreina to ponder her words.

Being alone hurt to think about. But, have expectations dashed hurt even more, she found. Would it not be better for her to live from one day to another, instead of dwelling upon what has not yet come to pass and what cannot be changed?

Edreina was startled from her reverie as her mother tossed a half-finished basket into her lap. "Now that you are done gallivanting," she said with a wry smile that must be hereditary, "you can help me around here."

Her revelation only strengthened the agonized groan that escaped the young woman's lips as she was tasked with such a monotonous duty. Shouldn't she be out adventuring right now?
Edreina
Unbound

Words: 1079180
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2013, 1:40 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Lore Author (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

A Mother's Truth

Postby Emblem on August 17th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Edreina

SkillPoints Earned

Lore Earned
Mother's Advice, Don't Seek Love
Mistakes

Other Shenanigans:

Comments :
PM me with any questions, concerns, or insults!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office