Completed A Night Worth While…

There are hundreds of things that can happen to someone in the wilds, especially at nights…and not all of them are brilliant…

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

A Night Worth While…

Postby Amelia Cross on July 4th, 2013, 7:00 pm

[12th day of summer 513.a.v.]
[Wilderness]
[late evening - nightfall]

Two days were already spent, here in the shore that surrounded her home city, Ravok. No, Amelia was not born in Ravok, nor was she raised there. She was not a follower of Rhysol though she respected him greatly for the protection he granted to the city. Amelia didn’t even share the opinions of many, when it came to slavery, races and status. Her thoughts might be similar to the opinion of a few, but still have notable differences from a native. So why did Amelia call the city her home? Because home, is where the hearth is. And there was more than one person, within the city, that made her feel at home more, than Syliras.

And so she stood there, stood next to her beloved mere, Fauna. She stood looking into nothingness that was the frame of the city, the blurry lines she could see from that location. Just earlier that day, a man at the trading post had asked, what is a woman like Amelia doing in this city? She didn’t know what to answer, and she just waved it off. Afraid to admit, it was love and melancholy that kept her there. But the encounter with the man didn’t stop there, no. He asked more and more questions, about Amelia and Fauna. Questions she avoided to answer, but the one that caught her attention wasn’t even a question, it was a statement. He had warned Amelia, that there are many dangers in the wilds, beyond the shore. She knew it, but she didn’t expect someone to warn her. The man must have thought Amelia to be crazy, to have a death wish, if she was really about to go as deep in the wilds as she wanted. Why on earth did she even want it?...to think and dream.

So, she toke a hold of Faunas rail, and began guiding her deeper and deeper into the wilds. Soon enough, the lake was not visible and neither was the city. ”finally” now, bout of the girl were looking for a good resting place. Thanks to the warm weather and the fading, yet notable influence of Rhysol’s protection or Ravok, it was still fairly warm here in the surrounding area. So Amelia had no need for a tent. She walked deeper, and looked for something that could serve as a place to serve her for the night. Soon enough, they came upon a cave. Keeping her caution, she entered and looked around a bit. It wasn’t deep, certainly not big enough for Fauna. At best, Amelia could manage to sleep there comfortably. ”bad luck for you girl” she said, as she crawled out, but Fauna was not in her sight. She stood up, and looked around; the horse had found a small stream and was enjoying a drink. ”leave it to you, eh?”The girl came closer to the mere and carefully toke off the saddle, the saddle bags and the rail. From the saddle bag, she toke out her bedroll and set it in the cave, well, hole in a little hill is probably more like it.

Soon enough it would be dark, and Amelia knew, the best way to keep most predators away, was fire. She began looking around, searching for dry wood that would be good for a fire. This didn’t work, neither did this…too damp, and so on, until she found some that seemed to be perfect. Dragging the fire wood back to her ‘camp’ if one could call it like that, and making a nice little shape of a circle from it. Some standing up, crossing each other, the smaller twigs thrown in between and some other were placed near, to add in latter if needed. Taking her flint and steal, she began trying to get a spark. The girl tried and tried, but nothing happened. She could hear a neigh of mockery coming from her companion, making Amelia a bit more determined to get the spark going. And finally! If it wasn’t so troublesome, she’d probably jump from joy when she saw that a little flame began building up. ”finally”

And then, there was darkness….night had finally fallen over her and the wilds, Leth had taken control of the world, leaving her small fire, the only light.

Amelia Cross
I Have More Than One Mask

Words: 519985
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

A Night Worth While…

Postby Radiant on July 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Nighttime, the moment most people would call as Leth's time to shine, his moon gracing the land below with its soft light. But beneath all that, in places untouched by the light... always lurks another being... beings called 'Shadows'. What's this being you say? Well, common people could only see them as the dark created by light's absence. But to the followers of Akajia, the Shadows themselves were very much alive; they are sentient, living beings. They even have their own language called 'Makath'. They were always watching... the silent observer, unmatched even by the greatest of spies.

On this particular night, a Favored of Akajia was silently observing... a prospect, his winged form resting on a tree branch near the hole Amelias was in. The shadows told him that this human woman was a seducer, a curious person, a manipulator, and also... rather racist it seemed. The Nightstalker Zith who took the name 'Umbra' was intrigued, he would approach this woman named...
"What is her name, friend?" Umbra spoke to his comrade, a shadow in the shape of a tree in Makath.

"Amelia Cross" The shadow replied in a language only those marked by Akajia could understand.

"Ah, thank you, friend..." And with that, the Zith stepped into the shadows and... exited from the shadows just outside the hole. "Come, my friends" he called them and darkness immediately enveloped his body and folded wings, leaving only his dark blue eyes visible to the naked eye.

He swiftly stepped in front of the hole's entrance, spread his wings, and with the help of the shadows, covered the entrance. He then spoke in Common, his voice echoing in the cave the woman was in "What might be a human such as you be doing here, alone? 'We' have noticed you leaving the city of the God of Evil... and 'we' are curious..."

Amelia would see a indiscernible outline of a figure covered in shadows, except for the pair of dark blue in what seemed to be the head of the figure.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

A Night Worth While…

Postby Amelia Cross on July 7th, 2013, 6:58 pm

The idea of meditation before sleep had escaped Amelia’s mind, she was a bit too tiered for it. Yawning, she walked to the stream that Fauna was resting by, kneeled down and filled her water skin, not too fond of the idea to crawl out of her ‘bed’ to get something to drink. ”sleep well, friend” Amelia hugged her mere’s neck and left in her rocky hole. The concept amused her, but it was still sort of better than sleeping in the open, even if she was much like a trapped rat there.

From the inside, where she got comfortable on her bedroll, stretching out and yawning, much like a cat. She curled up, wearing nothing but her undergarments she prepared for sleep. Before closing her eyes, she could see the fire burning steadily, by morning it would have burned out, but for now, it was steady. Thankfully safe, as she had made sure to place rocks around it, and lots of sand. ”goodnight” words spoken more to herself than anyone else. And though she heard a neigh coming from her friend from outside the cave, she assumed it was an answer, not a sign of thread.

But her rest wasn’t long, in no time she heard a noise, no, not the one you hear when an animal approaches or bad weather is to be expected. It was different, and before she knew it, the small cave became dark. Instantly she jerked up, in clear fear that was complimented by curiosity. She managed to catch only a small glimpse of light, coming from the entrance before it was completely shut. Another wave of fear, as now she could barely see anything, aside from the pair of deep blue eyes looking at her. Who was it? What was it? She had no idea…and the statement, we? Were there more? How come she couldn’t hear Fauna? Was she trapped? Or did these…creatures…seam harmless to the mere?

The barely noticeable outline didn’t give her any more understanding of who it was, but the voice, deep and suggested it to be of a male species. ”I…I’m not alone, I’m never alone…there is so many things around us!” of course, Amelia didn’t mean shadows, she meant birds and Fauna. To her, the possibility of shadows being alive never really occurred.

The way he emphasized the ‘we’ in his speech, it made her question his sanity, as she didn’t even hear anyone who could be of his…comrades? And city of Evil? Of all things sacred, Ravok was probably much more safe and definitely friendlier than Syliras. Sure, the religion was different, but…it was so much more accepting, if you were human that is. ”I’m…resting, I’m with my friend….” she said, referring to Fauna, and then whispered, only under her breath did she whisper ”and Ravok, isn’t evil” barely to be heard by the man, but definitely could be heard by the shadows.

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A Night Worth While…

Postby Radiant on July 8th, 2013, 4:47 am

"Yes, yes, correct. We are never alone, they are always watching, always observing, none escape their eyes" Obviously what the Zith meant by 'they' was the shadows. "But I sense you do not understand, do you? You cannot see, you are still blind to the truth..." If this woman had Akajia's gnosis then the shadows would have told him.

"Who is her friend, comrades?"

"Fauna, horse"

Amelia would see that the Zith seemed to be talking in gibberish to no one in particular.

"Ah, you bring one of those four-legged beast with you, Fauna yes? Perhaps we should cook it for dinner, yes? I'm hungry. Hahaha!" He was kidding... or not, he was still a Zith after all and the thought of devouring a horse was completely normal to him, it's just an animal after all.

"Hm? What's that 'we' hear? Ravok is not evil? Hahahahaha! Ahahahahaha!" His bestial cackle echoed in the little hole Amelia was in "Ravok is the domain of the god of Evil, and 'we' know he's always plotting... always searching to spread his corruption. Not that 'we' care, 'we' will be always here... always watching..."

The Zith then folded his wings and actually entered the hole, inching closer to Amelia and almost touched his forehead with hers. "So, Amelia Cross..." He accentuated her name to drive his point, to make the woman wonder on where the hell did he got her name " 'We' see you are quite the bigot racist, why is that? Do you think other races are weak? Not as glorious as you humans? 'We' are curious... do you think I am weak? Do you think I cannot wring your tiny little frail neck and leave your corpse to the wolves?" He differentiated from 'we' and I in his sentence, 'we' represented he and the shadows and 'I' represented himself.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Night Worth While…

Postby Amelia Cross on July 8th, 2013, 9:17 am

Amelia did not understand. If bout of them were speaking of the nature around them, then how come did the creature, say that she was blind? They were talking about the same thing? No, Amelia had no idea that the Zith, was speaking about shadows. Despite her always feeling better in the dark, in the dimly lit places that held the natural shadows, the live shadows. She never really bothered to think of them as being alive, despite the feeling of being watched whenever she was alone with the shadow. And so, in her confusion, she didn’t speak, she didn’t counter his words.

She sat up properly, her feet pointing towards the man, as she was listening to him speak. He spoke in a language she couldn’t understand. Amelia couldn’t really say that is sounded bad, it wasn’t like an animal’s growl or any other sound that one would find unpleasant. This language of his, it sounded even alluring and dare she say, inviting. But what made her wonder even more, was the fact she couldn’t hear an answer. Was he insane? Or was it a ghost?

The Zith hadn’t seen Fauna, rising more and more question to her mind. How? How did he come this close to her, and not notice the horse? Was she coated in shadows so well? Or had she ran off to a walk? No…Fauna didn’t do that…she was a calm and well behaved animal. ”what?” she questioned, with her voice a bit shaky. Her pale pink lips trembling as she continued speaking ”p~please don’t…she’s my friends” looking down at the ground, avoiding the man’s glare that seemed to be piercing through her.

The sound of him laughing, laughter that could send chills down the spine of even an assassin, was sure to frighten the girl. Her habit of nervousness showed, she began nibbling on her own lower lips, trying to think of what to say. She had never experience such feelings before. When Amelia was scared, she would usually speak more, not less…”if an evil man has a golden cage filled with birds, it doesn’t make the cage or the birds evil, just the man….” she muttered once more, sure that the man would hear her, as he did before. Her mind didn’t question why or how he did it though, she had her own wellbeing to worry about ”Ravok or it’s people aren’t evil, it’s just Rhysol…but he is how he is…its his nature…” of this Amelia was confident, even if her voice didn’t make it sound like it.

Her eyes still piercing the ground, she didn’t notice how the dim light from the fire that was outside had entered, how the man’s frame was clearer to see or even how he came closer. She only yelped lightly and bought her eyes up, as she had felt her leg brush against his. The sensation was alien, it felt like silk fur against her bare skin. And now, she heard it, him knowing her name, knowing her mixed feelings towards other races. She was looking into his eyes, that feeling that overwhelmed her must have been the way people feel when looking Dira in the eyes. She couldn’t look away, the Cross had to admit, they were somewhat mesmerizing, even distracting as it toke some time for the girl to pull together a sentence.

”I do not think of…none-humans as worst…I’m…I’m just afraid…” and that was true, over the past time she had spent in Ravok, the girl had come to realize that her dislike towards none-humans had begun once she realized, she had no idea of what they were capable of. ”but…I’m curios of them…I want to understand…” the nature of a curios cat, even when looking in the eyes of death.

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A Night Worth While…

Postby Radiant on July 8th, 2013, 10:12 am

"Oh, Ahahahaha! Foolish, foolish little human girl, what you say are befitting of someone fooled by comfortable lies. 'We' do not care for your views, 'we' know you will be blind unless you are graced with 'Her' blessing" Her of course meant Akajia herself. "Ah, 'We' do not require such insignificant words from you, Cross. 'We' know Evil is Rhysol's nature, 'we' know all too well"

Umbra narrowed his eyes, deep blue locking with Amelia's obsidian black "'We' also know your father is the underling of the Black Sun and you're marked by one named Rhaus. 'We' know that..."

”I do not think of…none-humans as worst…I’m…I’m just afraid…”

"She's not telling everything..."

Umbra suddenly extended his right hand and roughly gripped Amelia's pale neck, his claw almost digging into her skin. "Why?! Is it because of your blindness to the truth? It is, isn't it? You do not know anything yet you dare to question the facts I give... with your ignorant views..." Umbra and the shadows already knew the answer but he decided to test her, could she change? Would she abandon her racism for a neutral view? And.. was she worthy?

The sounds made Fauna shot up in alert and she immediately galloped to her rider's location. She saw the swirling mass of shadows and neighed in fright, this annoyed Umbra. Umbra dragged Amelia to the hole's entrance and threw her outside, he then stepped into the shadows and appeared right next from Fauna's shadow. He then spread his shadow-covered wings and gripped both of the horse's neck with his clawed hands "Tell this beast to stand down or... I will kill her!"

"And you have yet to answer my questions... tell us everything, humor us"
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Night Worth While…

Postby Amelia Cross on July 8th, 2013, 11:17 am

She listened in silence as he spoke. Los of words and losing her gasp upon sanity. She wasn’t sure of what and how he wanted to hear her answers. Did he even want to hear them? Hear her? After all, she had by now realized that ‘they’, whoever he was referring to, knew, they knew everything about her. Except the struggled in herself to stop her nature, to stop the looking down upon other races. She had gone far enough, wishing to be herself and not a feminine copy of her father. But even here, here in the wilds with a monster she could not tell apart from the shadows, except for the eyes and the poor light that was hitting his face. The monster referred to her as ‘the Cross’, soon enough she would be called ‘the Cross girl’…everywhere she went, her father’s name has passed before.

Before she could register any movement, she felt the man’s, the creature’s hand wrap around her neck. Leaving the girl breathless for a brief moment, her first idea was to try and pull his hand away, but no. Her mind registered those sharp claws against her skin, she was sure he could feel her fastened, worried pulse against his skin…or should she call it fur? Either way, she was feeling as if this was just a nightmare, a painful nightmare… where her mind was flooding with the simple question, she couldn’t seem to answer truthfully.

A fast gallop, Amelia could hear Fauna come, for a moment it felt like a blessing, but only for a moment, as soon enough she realized that the horse couldn’t really help her, just hurt herself. Less than a blink of an eyes, and Amelia felt herself choking from the lack of air, being pulled out and thrown on the ground as if she was a slave. She couldn’t manage to follow the next set of actions of the Zith, as she was gasping for air, trying to regain her normal self, as much as she could. The ground felt surprisingly warm and the fire was still there, actually, if the winged creature had thrown her just a palm more to the left, she’d have been thrown on the fire. And despite it not being powerful enough to actually kill her, it could have left her without hair and with lots of burns.

Finally, Amelia lifted her eyes up to when Umbra spoke, close to tears as she knew the man had no trouble doing what he had claimed, he didn’t come off as a liar. That frightened her even more. She got up on her knees and came closer, just a little bit with her hands lifted up to her shoulders as she spoke ”shh girl, I’m fine…stay calm” her voice was slightly shaking, the horse noticed that its owner was not completely fine, but she knew better. Fauna knew, she understood Amelia, if she was trying to calm her, then it was for the best. The horse just looked at the man, and stood still. ”that’s a good girl” she smiled in relief, knowing that the mere had decided to stay calm. Fauna lowered her head and the moment Umbra would let go of her strong neck, she would lay down.

Now, when she could finally pay full attention to the Zith, she at last saw his wings in full glory. As much as Amelia knew she had to be afraid, the image of him made her feel respect and amazement, not fear, at least not until she paid notice to his actions. As she found wings to be majestic, more than once she had said that she wanted a pair of bird wings, to fly away and be free.

”I’m not lying…since childhood my father has thought me to hate none humans, he thought me that they are dumb, ugly, weak, have no culture and knowledge…they are animals” she began with not so pleasant words, and ended up swallowing a rock of fear before continuing ”and I believed him, but I don’t what that to be me…I learned that the Eypharians are knowledgeable, Konti are beautiful and kind….Myrians are strong and hold deep respect…akvatari have amazing culture and art…” and that she had meant from the hearth ”but as I learned more, I wanted to know more…and became afraid of them, the natural skills they posses like flight, strength and speed…as there are so many more races that are not human, that must hold knowledge and power we can’t imagine…I’m curios…but I’m afraid to approach them, as I don't know what to expect...people are predictable...but they are not”"like you" talking and talking. Everyone was aware of the way she dealt with mid horror, talking… "its hard to go against...what you thought was right...all your life"

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A Night Worth While…

Postby Radiant on July 8th, 2013, 12:02 pm

"Good girl, now stay put" The Zith slowly let go of the horse's neck and approached Amelia, her apparent calmness in this situation somewhat won her Umbra's respect. "So, human, you know I'm a Zith now, that's good. And you like wings? Hahaha! I like that. Perhaps you would make a good Zith." Umbra stood in front of Amelia and listened to her explanation.

After she finished, Umbra was silent, his dark blue eyes calculating and his outline seemed to be making a thinking expression. She had told her truthfully, she didn't lie, and Umbra liked that, the shadows also whispered to him that they liked her honesty and her curiosity, her thirst for more knowledge.

He dissipated the shadows, showing his true form, midnight black fur and hair graced his body, his face adorned with the same dark blue eyes. He extended his hands and gently helped Amelia to a more firm standing position "'We' like your answer. 'We' see you're honest. Honesty is good" He then folded his wings and introduced himself "The name is Umbra, Goddess Akajia is my Deity and the Shadows are my friend".

The curious look on Amelia's face showed that she was willing to know more "Shadows are alive, they are beautiful, sentient creatures..." as soon as he said that Amelia's own shadow seemed to move, bear a grin, and waved at her. "See? And they speak... most people are deaf to their speech. Only those marked by The Goddess could understand... Come... let me show you" Umbra then bridal-carried Amelia and took off to the sky, flying high until they could see Lake Ravok and its city on the horizon.

"See this? All of this? All cannot hide from the Shadows... they know everything, they are always watching" After hovering in the air for ten chimes, Umbra slowly flew down and put Amelia beside Fauna.

"The shadows liked you, Cross. Keep this up and you might be visited by The Goddess herself... " He then turned around and face Amelia with his back "Remember... 'We' are always watching..." Without even saying goodbye, the Zith then vanished into the shadow, leaving Amelia and her horse alone in the darkness.

OOCGood job, Amelia! Post your last reply and I'll give you your grade and lores. ;) This should set you on a path to gain the Nightstalking gnosis should you wish so.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Night Worth While…

Postby Amelia Cross on July 8th, 2013, 12:43 pm

”zith…zith…” the name lingered in her mind as she watched him approach. Wings, something Amelia clearly would like to have. She should note to herself , to ask Clyde about magic that might give you wings.

The black cover disappeared from his body, letting Amelia gaze upon the man, the creature, the Zith…that had made her emotions jump back and forth from the moment she first saw him in the cave. His figure didn’t change, but how she viewed it, did. The midnight blue, dark silk like cover made it hard to keep her eyes at one place for too long. Until she stopped at his eyes. ”wow..” amazement, was the most even her mind could pull out of it.

From that point on, everything seemed so surreal, how the beast like man helped her up. Amelia made sure to, quite awkwardly, feel the fur covering him. Needless to say it was pleasant to the touch. His wings folding, just before he spoke what she wished to hear, the explanation. It set things clear, more or less. As Amelia still wasn’t sure of the goddess, she hadn’t heard of her. Then again, she hadn’t heard of many deities at all. And now, her mind was taken up by absorbing the information, asking questions would take too much from her.

And despite her being frightened from the fact her own shadow seemed to move, she didn’t say anything, she just listened to Umbra. Slowly her mind became more flexible and actually was ready to ask for more, a question or two…but before she could manage, the zith had taken her up in his arms and flew off. Strangely, she didn’t protest not the slightest bit and let herself being carried like a doll. But as they flew higher, fear began reminding of its presence as her arms seemed to cling onto the creature.

Up in the sky, the moon was so clear and seemed so close, the stars were brighter…and Ravok was better than any dream. Her eyes shining like those of a child. The warm light of the lamps in the city reflecting on and the watery surface the city was built upon. She knew that the city was beautiful at nights, but this was better. And to know that shadows were watching, you were never alone…it didn’t seem to frighten her, it was more reassuring than anything. It made her feel as if she couldn’t be left alone, she always had someone, even if it was just her own shadow.

They flew down a bit too fast for the girls liking, being up in the sky felt like in a fairytale, but she knew that even if the Zith had become a bit friendlier, it was still not a good idea to push it. And with a childish, happy smile she was left there next to Fauna, slightly resting her body against her. Amelia heard Umbra speak, but only with his last words did she realize he was leaving. ”w~wait!” but it was too late, he was gone ”will I see you again…?” words muttered to herself, or maybe she hopped the shadows would tell him? Funny.

”the shadows like me…” half a whisper as she rested fully against the horse who was laying on the ground. A pat on her strong neck as she whispered. ”Umbra…suits him well…” another short statement before she kissed the head of her beloved horse and got up, to enter the small cave once more and fall asleep.

The girl might remember everything as a dream, she might even think of it as one once she wakes up. But what was clear, was that the zith would haunt her mind at nights, even if just as a lingering memory.

oocyay!

Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A Night Worth While…

Postby Radiant on July 8th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Amelia :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +4 XP
Storytelling +1 XP
Philosophy +1 XP
Animal Husbandry +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Lore of Religion: Akajia, Night's Mistress
Akajia's Gnosis Mark
The Shadows are always watching
Umbra: Akajia's Favored
The Shadows like me
The Beauty of Ravok observed from the skies

Loots

Notes :
Good thread! I truly enjoyed it. ;) With these lores, now Amelia is eligible to gain Akajia's Gnosis. Contact a DS or RS if you want to proceed with it. Congrats! :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes