The student and the Mercenary (Revy)

Sayren and Revy cross paths. Friends? or Foes?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Sayren WindDancer on July 12th, 2013, 6:56 am

Sayren raised an eyebrow at Revy's comment. So she shifted her feet a little according to how Revy described it to her, then switched her grip on the blade as well. As much as the insults were driving at her mentally, she had to remain calm, to try to calculate how she would approach Revy. She watched Revy's presentation of the blade strikes. She even tried minute attempts at it just to see if she had an idea of it before Revy could throw her full focus onto her. Then the summary of Fail, you get hurt. A smile ensued on Sayren's lips as she nodded, "Understood."

She faced away from Revy, quickly going into the stance as she took a deep breath. She glimpsed over at one of the dummies in the area. She knew she couldn't swing the blade as effectively as Revy could, but if she swung the blade enough times, it should soon become muscle memory to her, just like the punches Ximal taught her. She lowered the sword to her side and sprinted over to the dummy, raising the blade over her head, then slicing downward at the dummy. It was certainly not a strike that was as finessed as Revy's was, but it was a start. She pulled the blade over her shoulder as she waited attentively..."Here comes the backlash." Her mind thought.

Sayren WindDancer
"Determination leads to the second step."

Words: 131634
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Revy Hiroe on July 12th, 2013, 8:33 am

This girl was an idiot who didn't listen apparently. When did Revy say that she was to strike a target? She didn't even know how to swing properly. She didn't even have a feel for that thing. She was in for a scolding and a big one. If she was to learn under the mercenary, she'd better do EXACTLY as she said, otherwise her tutoring might come to an end pretty quickly.

"Oi girl, when did I say that you should charge that dummy? I told you to do what I did and when did I attack a dummy?, she said leaving a small pause, "Never, so you shouldn't have done so either. Besides that, your attack was full of holes. If this had been a real match, you'd be dead by now. So you'd better listen to what I say, or this teaching stops right here, right now." Revy's voice was cold, as if hiding previous experiences. "Now get over here.", the woman pointed in front of her, "And repeat what I did. For the record, I ain't repeating myself again."

The moment the girl would come into striking distance, the mercenary lashed out, slamming the flat of her blade against the girl's shoulder. "Let that be a lesson for you. Now I want you to repeat what I did, fifty times in a row. For each failure I'll whack you. I'll teach your body how to swing it properly. Only after you learn that will I teach you more."
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Words: 394139
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2011, 7:13 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayren WindDancer on July 12th, 2013, 9:40 am

Sayren nodded, trying to listen closely to Revy. She shrugged for a moment when Revy paused. Then the Mercenary said her attack was full of holes? She had a feeling there were somewhere along the lines, but where? Was it before or after the strike? She gazed at Revy puzzlingly, then slowly walked up to where she pointed, where she then received one hell of a whack to the shoulder from Revy. She rubbed the spot for a moment with a small groan, trying not to tear her eyes away from Revy. Repeat what she had done 50 times? It seemed simple enough to accomplish, as long as what she did was completely right.

She got into the stance quickly, putting her side towards Revy. She had a feeling there would be no reason to ask where the holes would be, Revy would swiftly point them all out in a painful manner. She took a deep breath, focusing both on the blade and on the strikes that she was certain would come. She raised the blade above her head and slashed it over her head, she still wasn't quite used to the weight so when the blade went downward, she took too much of a step forward with the momentum of it, causing her to slightly lose balance before attempting a recovery.

[/quote]
Sayren WindDancer

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Revy Hiroe on July 12th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Well, at least this girl recovered quickly from being whacked. That would be a good thing for her later on. If you wanted to be a fighter or warrior, you'd need the capability to take a hit or two. If she would've winced or even cried out, she'd have taken another whack. Oh well, she'll cry later on. The day was long and the girl was going to feel it. It was going to be fun creating bruises.

Seeing the girl almost lose her balance made Revy snicker, before she whacked the girl on her buttocks. "I thought I told you to do it just like I did. Oh well, you got time. You ain't leavin' till you've done fifty proper ones. They don't have to be perfect, but I don't want to see you losin' yer bloody balance again.", the woman said, "So hurry up and get to it. If you make a mistake, ignore it for now and just try to get a feel for the blade. You gotta know how to handle it's weight, even if I have to whack it into ya."

She then stood next to the girl and started doing her own strikes. It'd be rather stupid just looking at her doing nothing. Besides, it'd give the girl a reference. But it didn't mean that the woman wasn't paying attention to the girl anymore. In fact, this was just regular routine for her. She could do it without thinking. That gave her the freedom so that she could keep an eye on the girl, ready to whack her if she made a big mistake.
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayren WindDancer on July 13th, 2013, 9:54 am

Sayren unintentionally made a squeak noise when Revy swatted her. She stood straight with red tinted cheeks, trying not to catch Revy's eye. It took her a moment to recompose her posture once again as she listened to Revy. Glad the strikes didn't have to be perfect, but she wanted them to at least be much better than whatever she had just done...and if not, she'd have to deal with the alternative of being whacked until she does. Yippee.

She got into the stance and made another attempt at it. She raised the blade over her head and began to slash, moving her left foot forward about halfway into it, then connecting her feet once again once the slash was done. She glanced over to see that Revy too was striking alongside her. She felt this strike was much better than the one before, and as long as Revy didn't object to it, she had a feeling Revy must've agreed with it then. However, another few moments pause watching her may yield an answer possibly? Or we can be more direct, "How was that? It felt alot smoother than my first one."

[/quote]
Sayren WindDancer

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Revy Hiroe on July 13th, 2013, 10:40 pm

The woman was glad that the girl at least picked up quickly. Her second strike had been far more accurate. Not the sloppy one before. If she was going to grow at this rate, Revy would soon be able to start sparring with her. And that would be the time where she would be taught how to fight. "Oh, this is going to be fun. Let's see what she's made of.", she thought to herself.

However, seeing the girl pause was a bad sign. Had she hurt herself or something? Or was she so stupid as to ignore Revy's words? But hearing her words right after, just showed that she was insecure. "Oh great..... insecurity. How the bloody hell am I gonna get that outta her?", he thought to herself as she continued her strikes. "I ain't gonna praise her at least. I hate praising someone for only a very minor feat. Hmm.. I'll just whack her to get her back to training."

As she lifted her trainings sword again, instead of doing a regular strike, she let go with her right hand and swung it around, straight at the back of the girl's head. "Did I say you could stop? No, so get back to swinging that sword. If I think your strike is bad, you'll feel it. Now do your other fourty nine swings, or I'll make sure you wished you did."
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayren WindDancer on July 14th, 2013, 12:44 pm

The bash to the back of Sayren's head made her growl. She wasn't looking for praise, she just wanted to make sure she was doing it right. This made her determination rise and her grip on the sword tighter. She straightened her posture quickly to raise the blade over her head, slashing downward another time, with much more confidence. Stepping forward only for halfway through the strike to increase it's momentum, then to bring her feet back together after the strike's succession. That was two, fourty-eight more to go now.

She took a deep breath and raised the blade once more, watching Revy from the corner of her eye to see if her stance and strikes were similar to her own. She was now starting to find the rhythm in the movements. Breathe in, strike, breathe out will stepping forward, slash succeeded, bring feet together and breathe in once more. That was three down. She grinned, glad she was getting the idea of it down so quickly. Though still cautious because she was expecting to be hit by Revy once again, not sure where or why, but it was bound to happen.

Sayren WindDancer

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Revy Hiroe on July 14th, 2013, 11:15 pm

The girl seemed to pick up quickly on the rhythm of swinging the blade. It was good that she caught on quickly as that would make it easier to get her familiar with the weapon. The sooner she was familiar with it, the sooner she could be learned more, but for today just doing this practice would suffice. Doing much more could result in her overexerting herself, which was counterproductive of course.

While training, she still received a few whacks here and there, but overall she was doing very well. If the girl made a grave mistake, she'd get pointers as to why she did it wrongly. This didn't happen too often though as she was doing remarkably well.
The mercenary had matched her own pace to the girl's and felt rather happy that she could teach someone the way she had been taught. It was because that way those people would have the strength to fight for themselves, something that the mercenary valued highly.

Only after Sayren had finished all of her swings, the number increased by the faulty ones, did Revy speak again. "Well, I'd like to keep it to this for today. You aren't familiar with weapons and because of that, I do have to keep watch of your body a little. If you overexert yourself, it'd only be counterproductive. Besides, I'm sure you had more plans then just meeting with me, right?" The woman was talking with a much gentler voice then when she was explaining stuff before, as if she had taken a slight liking to the girl. Well, she did admire Say's determination and desire to become stronger, so it wasn't too weird.
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sayren WindDancer on July 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Sayren kept on swinging. Trying her best to keep within succession of her strikes. Only to be stopped a few times by Revy's strikes and some times a minor explanation here and there. She tried her best to keep her frustration under wraps. She knew if she lost it, she'd probably have to start all the way back at one. And that wouldn't have been nice, especially after far she was at right now.

When Revy finally stopped, Sayren finished her last swing. She was flushed a little and her breathing was a little heavier than normal. Revy explained to Sayren that she didn't want her to be overexerted for her first day of training with Revy. It would have been a few steps forward, but several more backwards. Along with that, Revy suspected that Sayren might've had other plans for that day.

Sayren took a moment to think about it, then she shook her head, "Actually...not really. I don't have many friends out here aside from Savio, Ximal, and my Strider, Garel. Most of my daily routines revolve around training and working. I haven't really done much outside of that." It made her feel rather sad, but considering how most of the natives around Nyka were. It wasn't like being a social butterfly would've been easy to begin with. She tried to shrug it off as she glanced up at the taller woman, "Do you have any plans for today?"

Sayren WindDancer

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Revy Hiroe on July 17th, 2013, 3:51 pm

The mercenary wasn't as tired as the girl next to her. In fact, this training allowed her to get some of her stamina, which she had spent before with the greatsword, back. Should she continue training with that weapon again? It seemed rather attractive as she really wanted to get better with it. But on the other hand, she still had two other weapons she wanted to get better with.

Hearing the girl's answer to her question, Revy sighed. She wasn't going to dawdle around her right? The last thing she wanted was to have some young brat bugging her during training. But apparently she didn't have many people she knew here. Wel, not that Revy knew too many people. Not that she wanted to. The woman only needed those contacts that could help her with helping Zandelia.

"I'm probably gonna continue training. Not sure if I'm gonna grab my glaive or greatsword though.", she answered, "Either way, you don't have any business here anymore right? So, hurry off and find something else to do while you rest. I ain't holding your hand, kid." The large woman just couldn't help keep insulting this girl. After all... she seemed quite naive and foolish. Oh well, all young people had that.
Revy Hiroe
Emotional rollercoaster

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext