Completed Shelter from the Storm

Litani walks the path to healing... slowly.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Litani on July 27th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Part of her thought first to say 'No, it is not a warning', as she had not meant it that way... But if that's where he's operating from, let him.

...God you're an idiot.

I know. I've come to accept it.

A distant laughter echoed in her head and through her voice as she shook her head a little at herself and her own inner monologue. She'd wondered, on occasion, if it was part of her heritage as the daughter of an Akalak to have that duality of self so prominent... But over the years, she'd come to understand the distinction and accept it has merely part of something that happens when a woman chooses an academic line of study for her life's path. She had instincts, but she also had logic. The dance between the two was, as ever, relentless.

"If, she said softly, "I needed to warn you still... then I should think a simple blade would offer little consolation. And as we are alone here... well." Her shoulders shrugged faintly as she straightened the last of the onion leaves in the basket. Any Akalak linked to her would have quite a distance to cross, that much was obvious enough to require no further comment. She went on, her voice smooth and calm. "No, it was not a warning."

As he reached out for her left hand, he found it perched at the edge of the basket and not altogether resisting but gently stiff as a result of the task she was working with. His touch surprised her faintly, striking her as a boldness that, upon reflection, she might've guessed in advance. The Konti smirked faintly as she watched him with her hand, felt him clatter across her senses again. Gods, he feels so different... She swallowed delicately as he traced his thumb across the mark of Rak'keli and she remembered the dream... Gods, did she remember. Her eyes drifted shut and she wrestled with herself, caught between tasting the memory and shoving it back into a corner. In the end, logic won out. It always did.

Her eyes opened and locked with his. A faint smile accompanied the words, "That is not a windmark earned, Warrior. It is Rak'keli's mark. I was born with it." Still, she gave him a subtle look that seemed to appreciate the similarity he'd drawn between the two patterns of significance. Perhaps she was relaxing once again.

As he let go of her hand, she blinked herself clear of the sense him and centered herself again. With as frequent as one touches another, you'd think she'd have this process down by this point in her life... Usually, she did, but whether from the draining heat of the sun, or the intimate memory of the dream, or just from her own internal conflict on the matter... with Viper, she still found it oddly jarring. Oddly... interesting.

With a grateful sigh, she listened as he called the day's work to an end. She nodded, schooling her features to keep the relief away from her face and gone from her voice. I am here, now... She finished the few leaves she was working with, placed them into her basket, then smiled down to the plants and murmured a quiet thanks for their sacrifice. Whether he noticed or cared, she seemed not to acknowledge - the conversation was between she and the plants, irrespective of him. When this was complete, she drew the edge of the Lakan lovingly against the edge of her pant leg - still marked with the spined seed pods of the briars she'd been walking through moments before - and polished the edge clean of the grasses that clung to it. She then sought her cane with her right hand and righted it, securing it into the ground for her climb back to her feet. Once there, a low breath escaped her and she blinked with the whirl of pain behind her eyes as she bent to retrieve her basket.

"The Lakan," she whispered softly, struggling with her voice for just a moment before clearing it, "was my father's." Her eyes reconnected with his briefly, then dropped away as a casual gesture of finding the path ahead. "Epic... I suppose so." Slender shoulders shrugged slowly and she let a thoughtful smile settle again on her lips. "Twin souls, we were. Or so others said." With a slight pause, she looked back at Viper. "He is dead in Riverfall these two years past. I don't believe he'll be returning for his blade any time soon." As noble as she held herself, as dignified and calm, still... her voice slipped just a little on that last word, 'soon'. She smiled softly. "We were very close."

And that was all she said. A deep breath drew itself into her lungs, steadied her, and exhaled slowly.

I miss you.
Litani
Wounds are many... scars are few.

Words: 202797
Joined roleplay: May 25th, 2013, 12:25 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Viper on July 27th, 2013, 5:49 pm

A smile and a nodd he gave when she declared the earlier comment was not a warning. In truth, he never thought it was. But within her words, a few interesting tidbit were to be gleaned it seemed. Her mention of them being alone and yet just brushing it off without a care was nice to see. It would seem for both that the affect of the dream was beginning to fade. All that was remaining was who they were in the real world. Still, it wasn't a memory he'd soon forget now.

He pondered her words about her mark for a while before answering. A friendly look being given, he shrugged his shoulders.
"That may well be the case Litani." His tone softened to that of a caring friend. "But just because it is not a windmark earned. Doesn't make it any less a part of you or important. These marks, be them earned or simply given are what make up who we are. As long as we live up to the meanings behind them, then we can still be equally proud of them. Hmm?" He nodded to her encouragingly. Unsure if her previous comment meant she did not feel worthy of her mark or not. But either way, he spoke with all sincerity.

As they rose to their feet to begin once again the long walk back to the fortress city, she caught him slightly off guard when she told of the history of the blade she had moments earlier held in her hand. His traditional smile faded.
"Well I'm sorry to hear he is gone...He must have been a fine man to bring up someone like you." Although probably cliché, he really did mean it. "And if our dream was any indication, I think he would be proud of your abilities, and your desire to help others." There was no other thought in his mind in regards to the dream than her ability to heal. Which he still found both fascinating and odd at the same point.

A long pause ensued as he was never really good at comforting people about death. Nor was he sure she really needed any after two years. He sort of imagined at this point continuing to harp on it would probably just be more annoying and from her perspective, redundant. After they had walked a bit he turned toward her. Trying to lighten the mood some he said in a more cheery tone.
"If you wish, I can walk with you back to your home, or shop, or wherever it is you are going. At least that way I will know where to deliver your hide when I am through with everything."

He had momentarily contemplated offering her to join him at his camp for a while, but then thought against it. Yeah, like she would go for that. Besides she no doubt had things of her own that needed to still be done. And in truth there really wasn't a whole lot that could even be done tonight. Not while the deer still needed to be bled that is. Maybe they did need a bit of space anyway...ok so he wasn't really in love with that idea. but maybe a chance to regroup, get their heads on straight about the days...interesting events would be just what they need to start anew.
Viper
Victory is mine!

Words: 185303
Joined roleplay: October 26th, 2012, 1:39 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Litani on July 27th, 2013, 7:34 pm

It wasn't the first time she'd heard another tell her what Tromik would think of her now, nor the first praise she'd heard of him for bringing her up just so. If only Viper knew just how true his words really were; the beloved Akalak was the only reason Litani considered herself to be of any value at all. Everything she knew that mattered one damn started and ended with her father, Tromik... and, later in her life, her mentor, Alder. But one was alive and the other was dead, and the hollow place in her soul still ached with a fierceness that took her breath away every time she looked into that darkness. She did not chose to do so very often, these days.

Perhaps it was for that reason that, as Viper spoke, Litani's eyes teared and crystals of simple emotion fell from them - just the pair, and then nothing more. The rest of her features were still that serene half-smile that she seemed able to summon and wear at a moment's notice. Only her eyes seemed to cry, as if they were creatures of their own will and beyond her control, simply expressing themselves whether or not the rest of her followed in accord. Her only acknowledgement of them was a brief passing of her hand over each cheek a single time, banishing them from all traces of the visible world. And yet still, her eyes held the barest haunt of the unnatural glitter that had clung to the lashes a moment before.

To Viper, she said quietly, "Thank you. Your words are kind." Then, when he spoke about the dream they'd shared, she blinked slightly and two lines of thought collided in her head at the same time. When he explained which part of that dream he'd been referring to, she simply nodded a slight measure and let that other thought fade away... "You are welcome to walk with me, if you wish. But don't take some idea that you'll be delivering anything - I offered to help you clean it, and I mean to see the offer through. I did not ask for a gift. We had a bargain, remember?" After a brief moment, she went on, "I work for Alder, a physician and apothecary in the Nettle District. I live in an apartment beneath his shop."

Alder. She thought of him as she hobbled along next to Viper; he might well cripple her for true for betraying the work he'd so deftly done on her this morning. He'd sent her out for raspberries, not to climb back onto a horse, not to sweat under the sun, not to curl herself in the grass and cut blades of onion leaves with her Lakan. He's just sent her out for bloody raspberries, but she was coming back with broken blisters and blood and... I'm sorry. You... well. I don't know. Would you understand? Briefly, she entertained the idea of explaining - "You see, what happened was, is, well, I had this dream about a Drykas on the Sea of Grass, he had the most beautiful green eyes and his Windmarks, Alder you should see them!, they're so intricate, and he saved me from Zith and then I had to heal him and well, one thing lead to another and.... ....and then I met him!, and he's here, living in Syliras, and he asked me to help him with some herbs and, and his eyes just made me want to..."

Yeah. That would go over well.

She promptly decided against it, preferring the more discrete approach. The approach that might let her keep some shred of her dignity, even if she had no sanity left. Hopefully he wouldn't press her for details but if he did... well. She didn't like lying, especially not to him. She'd find a way.

As this went around and around in her head, she kept coming back to a thought that gnawed at her until her curiosity gave it words. She glanced over at Viper, pressed her lips together slightly, felt her eyes crawl over his handsome profile and sweep down his body... To hell with it. He might be dead tomorrow. I might be dead tomorrow. To hell with it.

"Our dream." She inhaled slightly through her nose and steadied her voice with the breath. "I never expected it to be real. I... remember it. All of it." She stole a glance at him, tightened her teeth briefly, then looked back ahead at the path. She was silent for a long moment, but somehow she carried the air of having something else on her mind. Finally: "I hope it does not intrude upon your relationship with another."

...is that a subtle enough way of asking, or was it too subtle? Will he think me too bold for asking at all? Maybe just laugh and brush me off for being a silly girl wrapped up in a stupid fantasy. That's probably more likely. Gods. I really am an idiot.

The voice was back. It was back, and it was doing whatever it could to regain control. Dimly, some part of her recognized that she only talked to herself like this when she felt most vulnerable... and wanting something she's never had made her feel quite vulnerable indeed.
Litani

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Viper on July 29th, 2013, 3:24 am

Viper had not caught the tears falling down. He did see her wipe something from her face however, and wondered slightly if she had though. Her response to his offer to drop the hide off for her did illicit a smirk along with a playful huph. "Yes, I remember. Just figured I'd offer you the chance to get out of cleaning the animal. I've not seen too many women who can handle it well..." His tone was almost as if he was challenging her. "...But! Since your so game to see this through. I suppose I'll look forward then to seeing you bright and early tomorrow. However, with that said. I'll walk you home just the same." His friendly smile returned and he gave her a slight nod before turning his eyes back to the road.

'Our dream.' The words caught him a bit off guard. Although it hadn't really been all that long since the shock of discovery had them both reeling, his head turned back to her rather quickly. Curious to see what she had to say since they both seemed to be slightly playing the "it never happened" game. After listening carefully, he didn't answer immediately. Instead stealing a moment to process what she said. Trying to discern the myriad of possible meanings that every sentence could have carried. At this point, he didn't know whether to be cautiously optimistic, or become more guarded.

He had to admit, it was nice to know how much she actually remembered. In truth he was somewhat jealous. There were portions of the dream that were admittedly still a little fuzzy in his mind, causing him to wonder what details he could be missing out on. But still there were...other aspects of the dreams that he remembered vividly. And it didn't take a scholar to understand which parts of the dream she had been referring to. After remaining quiet for what most likely seemed like an eternity to both he and Litani, Viper cleared his throat and responded.

"I uh...well I remember most of the dream. There are parts in the middle I'm still a lil bit hazy on...but I do remember everything else." He paused a moment, smiling slightly. But not in a manner that meant to tease or embarrass her. More so an actual acknowledgement and answer to her earlier question. He looked forward once more contemplating how he should respond to her...question? concern? in regard to his status. Returning his eyes to meet hers, his expression only revealed the slightest of smiles. "And it doesn't. ...Outside of what family I have left, I am not attached to anyone."

He debated hotly whether or not he should reciprocate the sentiment. Viper was extremely curious by nature after all, and this was the greatest unknown he had wondered about in a long while. However, he felt that he had been forward enough for the day. So instead, he decided to play a little coy, choosing to remain silent and merely continue to walk on. If she truly was interested...or even just wanting to test the waters so to speak, he might just get lucky enough for her to offer the information on her own.

The city finally came into view after passing over a small hill. If she was going to join him the next day, she should probably know where to go.
"For tomorrow, just for your information. My camp is to the right of the main gates..." He said informingly, pointing the direction. "...Go down a small bit, and look behind a small thicket of tall bushes. You should find my camp there. I'll wait for you before starting any major work. That sound like a plan?"
Viper
Victory is mine!

Character sheet

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Litani on July 30th, 2013, 11:31 pm

ImageHearing the dare from his lips, hearing him speak about what he had and had not seen a woman capable of handling, the healer only offered him a silent smirk in response. You will find me quite different, I think, Warrior... But she did not tell him this. There was no need to. Time - and Fate - would tell easily enough.

And then he answered her carefully, as well she suspected he might. He watched her, his eyes dancing sometimes sidelong and sometimes directly to her; she found herself curiously able to take the silence, the way he chose his words, the guarded way his voice sounded. She felt oddly focused on his words, so much so that her inner chorus of self-depreciation continued to be silent. A miracle.

When he gave her what she so shamelessly asked for, she could not help but smile. It was brief, it was subtle, but it was there before it was stifled, hidden behind a calm sense of acceptance. She felt almost as though she were starting the conversation with him anew, able to freshly assess him as her mind cleared itself of... past ghosts. Put to the question, she would still confess of being slightly unsettled by what they had shared - without sharing - together in the safe and unspoken world of dreams... but it did not trouble him, he seemed not to think less of her for it, and neither did it trouble anyone else in the real world. In that case... perhaps... it could be accepted.

Yet there was also the note of loss when he’d answered her true question and spoken of his family. As caught up in her own thoughts as she was, still she caught that from him and murmured softly, sincerely, “I am sorry for your loss... may Rak’keli be with you,” and then fell silent as he went on. He spoke about what lay ahead of them, in the ‘real’ world. He spoke of what he planned for them and how he wished it to be; she offered a subtle nod and said simply, “I will thank you to forgive me if I am a touch... slow... in getting to you." With the quirk of a small smile, she fell silent and glanced at him sidelong, wondering if he'd interpret all of the various layered meanings she'd laced into that one, simple statement.
Litani

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Viper on July 31st, 2013, 12:53 am

Viper simply gave a slight bow as his eyes closed for just a moment. "Such is the way of life, is it not? But thanks just the same." The small hallow smile did almost nothing, to mask the tinge of bitterness that could still faintly be detected if one was paying close attention. It actually even surprised him. It had been years already...but he had pretty much figured the pain from losses like his and Litani's never truly went away. They only became easier to bare.

When she mentioned she might take a while he glance down at her legs for the briefest of seconds. With the jumble of thoughts flying through his brain, he did not pick up much in her comment outside of the obvious reasons, why she might be late.
"Of course. I can understand why." He mused with a shake of his head. "Alone across the Sea of Grass. Still boggles my mind you really went through there alone and got out unscathed. Your gods must truly adore you to have protected you so well across that distance."

His mind began to linger on her words a bit longer, something about them causing him to wonder if more was meant. But then his mind chimed in again telling him to focus on the more than likely reality of things.

They continued to carry on a bit of light conversation as they made their way through the great city and to Alder's Shop. As they approached the threshold, a feeling of disappointment fell over him. The time had passed so quickly, he only now realized he had to leave her once more. He did take a bit of solace in the fact that he knew he would see her again though. Looking into those increasingly familiar shimmery blue eyes of hers, he hesitated. Not quite sure how he should now respond. He wanted to rap her in a hug or at least kiss her hand good bye...but decided against it. Until things truly settled down and some semblance or normalcy could be brought into affect, he assumed it would be best to just refrain.

A sharp eye might catch this moments hesitation. Instead, he let out a long sigh and smiled warmly.
"Well Litani. You are home, Safe and sound. I look forward to seeing you again tomorrow. Sleep well, and...sweet dreams!" He playfully winked at her before giving her one last small bow as he prepared to leave...
Viper
Victory is mine!

Character sheet

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Litani on July 31st, 2013, 1:16 am

Their steps had taken them through the Syliras gates, past the guard and suffering the curious eyes of those who wondered just why a dead deer was lashed to the saddle of Viper's steed... but Litani paid them little mind, her thoughts turning instead to the man at her side. The day was well past its zenith and as they'd passed beneath the grand roof of the city, Litani's eyes stole briefly skyward; Alder's shop was not far, nor was it grand or opulent - just a humble accommodation on a street corner like any other. A street corner where she'd be flayed within an inch of her life if Alder discovered what she'd done, how much she'd done, and why.

She'd chose not to tell him.
And if he was watching from a shrouded window in the upper room... Litani never knew.

What she did know was all of the things she read into his smile as she stood at her doorstep at last and he gave her one last look, preparing to go. What she knew was how those eyes felt when they wandered over her in the dream, and how they felt now when one closed in a gently intended wink. How different... and how much the same. She returned the smile with a faint expression of her own, her weariness at last claiming the best part of her and stealing whatever shields she'd been holding onto so damned desperately. Instead of answering his friendly good-night, she answered a remark he'd made whilst they were still in transit, a remark that circled in her mind since those days and even now - "I did not make it out unscathed... but my Gods do adore me, yes."

With that, she smirked at him and returned his wink, playing his own words upon her eyes and yet she blushed at the same time... playful, shy, and alluring in turns.

Not unscathed, no...

I made it by sheer determination, I made it because I am stronger than anything that has tried to kill me.

I made it because I couldn't take what's been haunting me... I couldn't stay and let it kill me. I had to get out.

I had to make it. No one else was going to save me.

And I made it because I dreamed it could be better... I dreamed of a Warrior with green eyes.

"Dream sweetly, Viper. I shall see you on the morrow."
Litani

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Shelter from the Storm

Postby Perplexity on August 25th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Riddled With Rewards
Litani

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Medicine + 2 EXP
Philosophy + 2 EXP
Observation +5 EXP
Socialization +5 EXP
Etiquette +1 EXP
Interrogation +2 EXP
Riding +3 EXP
Acting +1 EXP
Persuasion +1 EXP
Wilderness Survival +1 EXP
Herbalism +3 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Sun-Burn, otherwise known as “Shedding-Lizard Feeling”
Medical Knowledge: Treating Sun-Burn
Medical Knowledge: Treating Heat Exhaustion
Homely Feud: Finding Peace at Home
A Waking Dream: Viper in the Woods
Viper: The Man of My Dreams, Literally
Observational Insight: Friend from Foe
Konti Gift: Reality From a Dream, Recognizing Familiar People
Atop a Cyphrus Strider
Acting: Disguising Pain
Medical Knowledge: Basic Anatomy and Physiology
Wilderness Survival: Edible Syliran Berries
On the Nature of Canes, Moral and Defensive Support
The Sharing of Life
Tide and Tradition
On Being an Idiot, I Accept This
Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

Viper

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Tracking + 1 EXP
Hunting + 1 EXP
Climbing + 1 EXP
Observation + 5 EXP
Weapon: Short Bow +1 EXP
Etiquette +1 EXP
Interrogation +2 EXP
Animal Husbandry +1 EXP
Wilderness Survival +1 EXP
Herbalism +2 EXP
Cooking +2 EXP
Socialization +5 EXP
Persuasion +3 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Tracking: Familiarity with Deer tracks
Observational Insight: Recognizing Deer from Afar
Just Curious, Honestly!
Litani: Stranger(??) in the Woods
Litani: The Woman of My Dreams, Literally
From the Isle of Mura, Konti Women
Needs of the Rider and the Horse
Wilderness Survival: Edible Syliran Berries
Cooking: Properly Preparing Wild Deer
Daydreams and Dreamscapes: Details of THE dream.
Placating a Konti, Easing Litani’s Fears
The Sharing of Life
The Nature of the Lakan

Notes :
I was rapt with attention you two! Well done! Well done indeed! I tip my hat to you both.

If either of you have questions regarding your grade feel free to PM me at your earliest convenience.
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous