[Zith] Hunting the Hunters [Kallian]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Naiya on July 19th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Rue
Early evening of the 62nd Day of Summer, 153 AV

"We will meet three and a half bells before the sun rises. Here, outside Hunter's Rest." The man, Ezra, told her. Rue nodded her head, she would do as he asked because she knew he was doing her a favor taking her along on his hunt. She had very little experience, and there was a risk that she would ruin his hunt in some way, being too loud, too slow, too green.

"I'll be here." She told him, signing her excitement and thanks.

"Good. Bring your strider, he seems a sound enough mount."

63rd Day of Summer, 513 AV

It was early in the morning, earlier even than she usually woke. The morning was cool still from the night. She dressed quickly, adding her daggers as usual, but skipping her purple sash and removing her jewelry, even the charms from her hair. She grabbed her backpack -adding her waterskin to it's depths- her bow and her quiver. She was ready. She moved through the pavilion silently, carrying her boots so her steps would be softer, she did not want to wake anyone.

Outside was refreshing, a soft breeze blowing between the gaps of the tent city, it was a good sign for the day. She laced up her boots, and headed for the corral. "Wildfire." She called softly as she picked up her yvas, there was no answering greeting. She put her things down, grabbing the bucket of grooming tools as she climbed through the fence. "Wildfire, wake up, we're leaving." She nudged the boy with her hip and he snorted at her as he stirred.

She picked out a curry comb, one with soft fingers to protect his skin. She offered it to hi first, letting him discern that it was nothing to be scared of before she began to groom him. She moved as quickly as she could while still being through, brushing against the grain of the hair to loosen the dirt and loose hair caught underneath. As she brushed she checked for ticks and scratches on his body, careful to feel where she could not see. When she was done she dropped the comb back in the bucket, grabbing a firm brush to chase away the dirt she had loosened. The short strokes ended with a flick of the brush to toss the dirt into the air, it smoothed the hair and removed the dirt. She was careful to use this brush on his legs as well, removing the dirt packed against his joints.

Wildfire was still while she worked, until she offered him the soft brush, he butted his face against it, excited to have the dirt and hair that tickled his face removed. She sighed it seemed none of her training thus far had cured hi of this. "Be still you silly boy." She chided, brushing his forehead with a quick back and forth motion. She moved quickly to his cheeks and his chin before brushing his body with long fast strokes that flattened the hair and made it shine.

Finally she picked his feet patting him on the shoulder as she finished, tossing the grooming things back in the bucket.

Wildfire enjoyed being groomed, it was why she had woken extra early, but he still would not be happy to be working so long before dawn. It was a sort of bribe, or compensation for waking him so early in the morning. She hung the bucket back where she had found it and grabbed her yvas.

"Come on, let's go." She held up the yvas ready to place it over his head and he stomped his foot, throwing his head up where she could not reach him and giving her a wicked look.

"Come on, I know it's early, but this will be fun." She told him, "We are going hunting." When he still kept his head raised high above her she rolled her eyes at him, reaching down to scoop up a handful of grass. "Here Wildfire." She droned, waiting for him to reach down for her offering, when he did she quickly slipped the yvas over his head.

"That wasn't so bad was it." He snorted at her, and she laughed softly. "Come on." She tilted her head towards the gate and he followed her, knowing he was beat.

She gathered her things, attaching only her quiver to the yvas and keeping the rest of the gear on her. That would change when she rode, but for now she would walk beside her friend.

They arrived outside the Hunter's Den with time to spare. She played with Wildfire, touching him on the shoulder or the nose to have him move away from her touch, he would sometimes return the favor, pushing her with his nose and nearly knocking her over. It was a good distraction to pass the time, but once the half bell neared, Rue sobered and stood beside her horse, trying to look worthy of the gift being given to her by the hunter who would be taking her with him.

The half bell came and went. Three bells before sunrise and the man still had not appeared. She waited for an entire bell to pass before her hope faded. It seemed that Ezra was not coming.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kallian Windrunner on July 19th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Kallian awoke with a terrible headache; she groaned and rolled over in her small bed, which resulted in an immediate swear from her brothers across the small kinsroom. She threw a curse back at them in response, but soon grew silent. She remained in bed for a few minutes before turning quietly to stare at the inner ceiling of the tent. The throbbing her head continued. Her prior night's drinking had probably been a terrible choice, seeing as it left her hungover and unable to sleep. Closing her eyes, she did her best to try and slip away again. Another few minutes passed and she grew frustrated; eventually, she clambered out of bed and quickly dressed. Laced leather top and pants, soft leather boots, and a brown linen pull-over to help evade the sun. Quick fingers wove her hair into a long braid that would hang to rest on her collarbone.

Rubbing her pounding temples, she quickly picked up her bow and a quiver from her bedside. Her wetskin, still fill from the night before, lay on the ground. She stooped and grabbed at it, as well as her knapsack. Her soft boots carried her small frame out of her pavilion without incident. She exited through a flap and looked out at the night to judge the time. Before dawn. Scoffing, she shook her head. When had she last woken before dawn? Probably when her father still taught her how to hunt. That was long ago. He did not seem to have time for her anymore.

Kallian coughed and began to walk towards the corral. Slipping her arm through her bow, she worked on the quiver to make sure it held fast to her form. It hung across her lower back at an almost horizontal angle, only tilted to make sure the arrows would not fall from its opening. By the time she had it tied it on, along with her knapsack and waterskin, she could see her strider grazing within the barrier. She clicked her tongue; Allyria raised her head.

"Let's go," she said, voice hoarse. Kallian coughed again to clear her throat. Her strider watched her with dark, intelligent eyes for a moment before making her way to the entrance. Her rider climbed the gate and made her way inside to obtain the yvas, which was promptly placed on the horse. Kallian opened the gate to allow the mare leave before making sure it was snugly shut. Allyria did not complain, as her rider usually groomed her at night after a long day. Even then, she preferred to roam outside with the herd and roll in the dust.

Kallian mounted Allyria with a practiced leap. She nudged the horse lightly and they began to walk toward the outskirts of Endrykas. Her headache continued to pound. She reached down and pulled up her waterskin to take a large drink, watching the sleeping city as they went.

They came across the Hunter's Rest after a few chimes. Normally, Kallian would've passed it by without nary a look. Instead, she saw a girl looking downtrodden, along with a strider. Raising a brow, she and Allyria approached them.

"You alright?" she asked, signing hello and worried.
Kallian Windrunner
Warrior of the Diamond Clan

Words: 27928
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2013, 2:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Naiya on July 19th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Rue

Rue had hoped only for a moment as she saw the figure approach that it would be Ezra, come after all. She knew it was silly to think so after so much time had wasted away, just as she knew it was silly that she stood here waiting still. She had just been so excited to go, she couldn't give that up so easily.

Instead it was a woman who approached, she was maybe a little older than herself, her brow quirked with concern. Rue smiled softly as the woman spoke, she shook her head making a sign of reassurance and peace.

"Yes, fine. We were waiting for someone, but it seems that he is not coming after all." Wildfire stomped his foot in agreement and it made Rue laugh. She gestured at her mount and made a sign of good-humor. "If I had known our hunt was to be canceled, I would have let him sleep in, or at least put him to work rather than let him laze around and do nothing but give me attitude."

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on July 20th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Kallian listened to the girl and chuckled slightly as she joked about her strider, giving her a large grin. Her eyes settled on the horse, taking in his features. It was clear that this girl had a strong bond with her companion: he was neatly groomed and seemed happy, regardless of the unwanted situation. He was a fine example of a male strider and seemingly appreciated. The idea made her pat Allyria's neck gently.

"Yeah, she isn't too fond of going out in the mornings either," she replied, voice chipper. "Neither am I, to be honest, but I couldn't sleep." Her other hand signed trouble and something akin to impaired to accompany her speech. Straightening, she took a glance behind her.

"Sorry to hear about being ditched..." she said. There was little activity behind her and definitely no one following. It seems whoever this girl was waiting for had found something more important to do. Or, perhaps, he had been taken by the swarms of Zith earlier in the night. It was dangerous to stray during the night. Kallian was found of midnight hunting, but the dangers even kept her reckless nature in check.

"So you were waiting for a hunt?" Kallian gave a smile, along with a few signs of good and luck. "I'm heading out right now, actually. You can definitely join, unless you'd rather head back to bed."
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Naiya on July 20th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Rue
Rue signed her excitement at the invitation, but quickly it was replaced with concern."I am sorry to hear you couldn't sleep, but I am glad that the early morning has brought us here." Her hands signed worry next. "I would be awake by now anyway, I like to do my training before it gets too warm, but I am afraid I'm not much of a hunter." Rue shifted her weight back, leaning against her strider. "Actually I've only been hunting a few times before." Rue chided herself was she trying to ruin her own chances to go out hunting? If she only sung her failures, what did she expect but to fail. She made a sign that spoke of an exception.

"I'm a fairly good shot, though, and I can track some. If you'd be willing to take me out with you, I'd be glad for the experience."

As she waited for her reply she took a moment to admire the girl, she was lean and built like a fighter. Rue had also noticed that the back of her hand was tattooed, it had caught her eye when the girl had moved to pat her horse. It was a bold mark and she had to wonder if it was on her other hand and is they were her windmarks. It reminded her of her windmarks, still fresh in her mind and new on her skin. It had taken her a few days to decide on her own, where and what they should be.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on July 21st, 2013, 8:20 pm

Kallian watched her, listening. She held back her own experience when the girl noted she had only been out a few times. On her own, Kallian went hunting almost daily, though she rarely had anything to show for it. Her father told her that the results did not matter, only the effort; eventually, the results would follow. Her brothers were far better hunters than she, though they typically worked with other Drykas in a group.

She waved a windmarked hand in dismissal, signing 'peace'. "Don't worry about it. I'm not the most experienced hunter either. I'm much better at just... shooting targets," she laughed. "If you're ready, then we can head out. Not too far, though, since it's still dark." Hands made the sign for enemy and death. "We don't want to be caught by the swarm."

Kallian waited patiently for the girl to mount her horse before nudging Allyria into a slow walk. They would make their way out of Endrykas to the grasses and look for smaller game. Larger game would be further out into the sea, wary of coming too close to the pavilions. Rabbits and such would not be far.

"I'm Kallian, by the way," she said. "Of the Diamond Clan."
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Naiya on July 22nd, 2013, 1:19 am

Rue
Rue had been practicing mounting her horse, he was as tall as her at the shoulder -a few inches taller even- so it had taken some afternoons of work to get the motion smooth. She placed noth her hands on the strider's back, pushing with her arms as she jumped. She flexed her arms so her was holding her body vertical above his back before lowering herself down softly. Maybe it seemed like a flashy thing to do, but she had learned after the first time she jumped up on him that he didn't appreciate roughness.

She nodded when she was ready and they moved off at an easy pace. She swung her pack down from her shoulder, tying it to her yvas and securing it so it wouldn't bounce around too much. Some minor adjustments and she was able to reach into it easily enough.

Rue agreed that it was best to stay close, the attacks were becoming more frequent, so it was best to be careful. Without realizing she had begun to reach for her quiver, in easy reach of where her hands rested as she rode.

"I appreciate your kindness, Kallian of the Diamond clan." She signed humor once again, then well met. "I am Rue of the Amethyst clan."

At first Rue's mind was filled with thoughts of what they would catch, if they would catch anything, and of all the things she needed to do to keep from messing things up, but as they approached the outskirts of the city it occurred to her that she was missing the point.

Beside her, Kallian looked relaxed, calmed even, as though it didn't matter to her whether or not they had anything to show for their hunt when they returned, instead there was a joy in the act of going out and experiencing the wild. It occurred to Rue that maybe what was important was not their catch, but their journey instead. The moment she figured it out, a bit of tension left her, and she relaxed into her seat, calming and becoming more aware of her surroundings rather than her thoughts.

"There is a certain peace to this." Rue spoke softly, her hands signing an echo of her thoughts, words for hunt, serenity, and a more complicated sign that was akin to 'the cycle of life'.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kallian Windrunner on July 22nd, 2013, 8:59 pm

Kallian rested her gaze on the younger girl and she gave a small smile. "Amethyst? I got lucky today, then. We won't get lost in the grasses!" she chuckled, giving Allyria another pat. The strider snorted, seemingly unamused. The sound made her laugh even harder. "Nowadays, I don't go too far because of the attacks, but she and I used to go out and hunt well into the grasses with my brothers. We would always get lost, at least for an hour or two. We'd always make our way back, but it never seemed to fail; we would head out, catch something, and it'd rot by the time we got back!"

The laughter died, resulting in a large smile. She turned her gaze back to the sea and watched the darkened waves quietly. There was a small glow coming from the eastern horizon. Dawn would be upon them soon.

Rue noted there was a peace to the early morning, along with a few signs that caused Kallian to nod. Her hands formed yes and together. "Very. Kinda reminds you that we aren't just Drykas, but a part of the world too." She paused for a moment before pointing out to the north.

"There are a bunch of rabbit dens out this way, according to my brothers," she said, nudging Allyria into a canter. "We'll ride for few more chimes before dropping the striders off. Large horses tend to scare away the game. They'll always be a whistle's blow away."

The idea of roaming the grasslands with the Zith about was not a comfortable one. But dawn was nearly there and the sun brought some comfort. They would be able to see the predator coming, not just hear the beat of wings... though she doubted a group would attack during sunlight. The world did not stop because of the animals; no, she was still expected to hunt and bring food to her family if able. But the anxiety was there. The fear of becoming a slave, of being roasted across a fire. Becoming dinner rather than bringing it home was the idea that had kept her away from going too deep into the grasses. For once, caution overcame her arrogant, reckless nature.
Kallian Windrunner

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Naiya on July 23rd, 2013, 1:16 pm

Rue
Rue couldn't help but to laugh with her as she explained her comment, and it pleased her to note that it seemed Killian's strider gave her the same sort of attitude that Wildfire gave her. "I should be a little help with that, I've traveled often with my uncles for trade. Then again, that could mean I'll only be able to haggle with the flora and fauna for directions."

Rue couldn't see any signs of the supposed dens yet, but she was happy to fall into line behind the more experienced girl as she began to canter. Just because Rue didn't know what she was doing didn't mean that Kallian didn't.

The sky was beginning to lighten in the distance and Rue let out a breath she hadn't realized she was holding. Zith attacks were uncommon in the day time, and if they were attacked, at least they would be able to see the creatures from a distance, they wouldn't be surprised by them. It made her feel better about leaving the horses, something that had had her on edge since Kallian had mentioned it.

It was even lighter, the sun growing over the horizon, by the time they stopped their horses and dismounted. She began to remove her gear from her yvas, placing both her pack and her quiver carefully across her shoulders. She took a moment to check that her arrows were in easy reach before moving to Wildfire's head.

"Stay here, graze, whatever you'd like, don't come unless I call you. Behave yourself, and don't make yourself fat eating everything you can see." She knew they wouldn't be apart for long, but it was still difficult for her to leave him and they both knew it. Wildfire nickered softly and rested his head on her shoulder, they both took comfort from it, then Rue patted him lightly on the cheek. "Wish us luck." She told him as she turned to find Kallian.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khida on November 5th, 2014, 1:28 pm

Rue Nightsong

Skill Points
Horsemanship +1
Observation +1
Planning +1
Socialization +1
  • Kallian Windrunner: Diamond Clan hunter

Kallian Windrunner

Should you return, PM me and I'll grade your posts.
Notes

Not a lot to say here; this thread stalled just about as it was really getting started. Too bad -- I would've liked to read more of Kallian's anecdotes! She's clearly got some good ones.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade. Also, Rue, please edit your request to show this thread has been graded.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)