Closed [Archery Ranges] Let the arrow take your pain

(Sira) Returning to the ranges, Vira tries to drown the memories of the chasm with some training

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Archery Ranges] Let the arrow take your pain

Postby Lavira on August 2nd, 2013, 7:22 pm

Timestamp: Summer 85, 513

THUNK

"Petch..." Vira muttered, slowly tilting the bow down and staring at where the shot had struck, sticking out of a wedge of rock some feet above the animal-shaped target she'd been aiming for. It stayed there quivering for a moment longer as the composite shortbow was lowered further, eventually coming even with her thigh; and then, with little more than a quiver, it dropped free and landed with the rest of the practice arrows in front of and behind the target. They totaled around thirty in all, each as depressing as the next.

She couldn't even garner enough focus to make a damn arrow stick, let alone hit the target; why was she even here then? With a sigh, the woman looked to either side of her at the empty shooting points in her particular zone. The sound of other archers could be heard in the neighboring alleys of the range, but none had come to hers. The shielded opening of the Bent Arrow beckoned from behind her, the hearty drop whispering its promise of immediate death upon collision with the ground far, far below.

The empty alley was a reflection of her own struggle, the hollowness she still felt even with the comfort of Iosha's and Kovac's friendship. But what more could they do? She could put on a happy face any time she wanted, but in the end, the day concluded with her curled in her bed sobbing and clutching her mangled side while Tulaj looked down at her in silence from his perch above the door. The harrier himself was at a loss for how to comfort his caretaker and handler. For all of his oddities and insanities, Tulaj did love Vira enough to remain and listen to her (most of the time).

Her free hand reached over and pressed against the scarred gap in her side, just above her hip bone, the throbbing ache beneath the flesh almost burning now that she'd lowered the bow. Keeping her hand there, Vira walked across the range, fetched the arrows back into the quiver slung over her back, and stood there, staring at the target she'd been trying to hit for over two hours. From the bow-rack in the back of the range, the harrier perched, staring at her in that same slightly creepy way. Occasionally, his head would turn and peer out at the world beyond, shifting on his feet or ruffling his feathers, then return to gaze at the woman who had taken him and all his peculiarities in.

To him, the one-eyed Chiet now turned, frowning and settling the quiver more comfortably against her back again. "What? Why do you have to stare at me like that?" She said at him. "My finger slipped or I would've hit it that time." She said in excuse. The harrier just ruffled his feathers and gave his head a comical shake before beginning to preen his breast. "That's what I thought." She continued in Nari, making her way back to the shooting groove and turning to face the targets again.

This time, she chose one that was slightly closer and higher off the ground. It was a simple, round, two-circled target; easy to hit. She drew an arrow from the quiver and carefully nocked it while settling her feet into an even stance. Her head turned until she had full sight, marking a place slightly more to the right like she usually did and then raising the bow, drawing smoothly as she did so so that the feathers just touched her cheek. She held it, eye on the point beyond, balance even.

Elbow down, line it up

She tilted her draw elbow down slightly, just as Kovac had taught her.

Turn the other out.

Again, she adjusted, lowering her shoulder too so that it was even with the other, leaving the draw-elbow just a little higher, though only just. And then, her breath held for a fraction longer, Vira released the shaft, watching it fly as her breath was exhaled fully from lungs, and strike not the simple target she'd actually been aiming for...but the one further right.

Tulaj screeched noisily from his perch, spread his wings a bit and pushed off in order to fly past the Chiet and land on the target that had originally been aimed for. If that wasn't a mockery of her skill, nothing was.

With lips pursing, Vira slowly lowered the bow again, turned to the rack to put it back, and bent to grab a stone from the ground, grumbling under her breath about Tulaj and his unpleasant knack for tormenting people. Onnery bird.

The stone palmed, the teenager turned and gave it a hard throw to the targets in frustration, making the harrier jerk and then rise to return to his handler as Vira extended her sontav-bound right arm. "You are one of the most annoying birds I have ever had the displeasure to know, Tulaj. Insulting, torturous, you poop in places I didn't think you could, and have torn up so many of my things over the years, it's not even funny. You've harassed others in the city, bitten a fair few, and have made a general mockery of me so many times, any one else would have sent you plummeting to your death in the river below. Why, Tulaj, why are you so mean to me?"

The harrier surprised her, however, when he shifted to the edge of the sontav that was so extended slightly from her body so she could see him. He then reached forwards with wings partially extended for balance and picked at her vinati with surprising gentility, delicate sounding churrs heard from the bird. His head-feathers had ruffled up to give him that silly look once more.

Because he loved her. For all of his oddities and meanness, the harrier did love her. Vira sighed again, moving to sit on one of the stone benches near the drop and moving her other hand forward to stroke his breast feathers. "Love, pfft." She muttered, still stroking his chest. "Friends love each other, too, did you know that?" Stroke-stroke-stroke. "And you're supposed to love yourself, or so I've heard. So why do I feel so empty? It's like...like a part of me's still trapped down there, Tulaj. I wish I could get Kovac to see that; maybe Iosha does see it. Either way..." She trailed off, not knowing how better to put her thoughts to words this time and so chose silence in hopes it would summarize things more effeciently.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sira on August 6th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Sira drew back on the string of her bow, the ease of experience leading to her smooth motions. The bow itself was rather old, in fact, an heirloom from her grandfather, a man whom she in fact had never even met. The bow was given to her by her mother, made all the more precious by the fact that her mother was now dead.. but even that did not stop the thoughts running through Sira's mind.

The competent endal let the arrow fly, watching as it flew out over the range to thud into a target on the other side. The shot was far from perfect, but much closer to hitting home than the chiet nearby that Sira failed to notice so far. She was considering the bow in her hands, thinking about getting a new one. The talon sword which dangled at her side was of the highest quality Sira had ever seen. While she was not overly fond of the lions head on the pommel, the rest of the sword was truly a work of art. The blade never dulled, and was sharper than any she had ever seen. Sira was fairly certain it was magical, or perhaps made from Isurian steel. Her bow was old, worn, and plain. While it had sentimental value, the kelvic was not so attached to it that she did not often consider getting an upgrade. With the trials and tribulations she had experienced in her life so far, it was likely a good idea.

The thud of an arrow missing it's mark and hitting the stone drew Sira's attention. The endal glanced over to see a woman, and a bird, failing miserably at archery. There were more than a few arrows littering the ground around the target she was trying to hit. Sira watched as the girl lined up another shot, aiming for a target that should have been easy to hit. She watched as the girl adjusted her aim. Everything was right. It should have been a hit. And then, as was common to those new to the practice, she screwed up in the release. Her fingers turned the string, altering the course of the arrow. It struck a target, but not the one she had been aiming for.

The bird, one of the palest harriers she had ever seen, knew it to and made an obvious show of it as well, drawing a smile on the wind eagle kelvics lips. Despite it's taunts, Sira could tell the bird genuinely cared for the woman, and it became all the more obvious a moment later. That was what finally caused the endal to draw near, and ultimately, speak up.

"Your fingers turned the string, and you didn't follow through. That's why you missed..."

Sira locked eyes with the harrier for a moment. Her eyes were not those of an Inarta, or some other human, but that of a raptors. She understood the bird, understood that it's initial reaction would likely be to challenge her, and her eyes challenged the bird right back. Not that she was looking for a fight, but that's how things went between animals. Dominance, even among birds. After a moment she broke eye contact, returning her attention to Lavira.

"Sorry to interrupt.. I'm Sira."

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lavira on August 6th, 2013, 6:06 pm

The teenager jumped from where she sat, causing the raptor to squawk and nip her in return for startling him off balance. The nip did not draw blood, thankfully, but brought the surprised look off of Sira when she'd spoken up and to the albino on her arm. "Jerk, I didn't drop you; you didn't have to bite me." But the bird just screeched and turned away to meet the gaze of the other.

Tulaj was one of the strangest birds in the city. Perhaps that was why he did not turn his gaze from the challenge for dominance of the Kelvic, only canted that owl-like skull and fluffed himself up the way a wren in winter might.

Meanwhile, Vira had turned her gaze, and immediately, the teenagers cheeks darkened, shame flowering in her features as she got to her feet. "I know who you are, ma'am." She murmured, unshouldering the quiver to place it on the bench. "You live with Addy. She mentioned you when we went climbing last season and I'm pretty sure I've seen you around the mess hall and aeries." The two had never formally interacted, but there were only so many people in the volcano-bound city and rarely repetitious names. "I'm sorry for taking up the range, Endal Sira, I'll clean up and clear out."

It was bad enough to be caught unawares talking to the psychotic albino still settled on her arm, let alone to be talking to him about things she'd rather others not hear. Sira, however, had the grace enough to not mention her disgruntlement. Giving the bird a final scritch on his breast, she nodded back to the range at him and gave a short whistle. It was a retrieve command, simple enough, referring to the stone she had so inconsiderately thrown into the range.

Once the bird took off to fetch said rock, the younger woman turned to look at Sira, cheeks still hot with embarassment, and added, "I'm not that dreadful of a shot usually; just other things on my mind, thought coming here might help me focus before heading back to the nests. Sorry for disrupting your practice, ma'am."
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sira on September 11th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Sira's reputation preceded her, as it usually did, and as usual Sira was more than a little annoyed by the fact. It was useful, sometimes, to be a well known Endal, but often times Sira simply wanted to have a chat with someone, without all of the formalities. She had found that many of the lower caste reacted even worse when she tried to be nice, but Lavira had done nothing wrong, so it wasn't as if Sira had anything to scold her for. Besides, the budding teacher in her wanted to stay and see if she could help out.

"If you were a bother to me I would not have offered you advice, I would have just told you to leave. I get plenty of practice, I can share the range. Would you like some pointers? I might be able to help you out a bit."

Lavira claimed that she was not usually that dreadful of a shot. She claimed that there were other things on her mind. Sira didn't know about all that. In the past, she would likely not have been interested in the chiets problems at all. But.. years with a caring bondmate, and motherhood, had changed Sira somewhat. She was softer.. though only a little.

"What's bothering you? Maybe I can help with that too?"

OOCSorry for taking so long. Things have been hectic, and then after Addy left, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep Sira. But I decided to keep playing her.

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on September 11th, 2013, 8:30 pm

"Er, I appreciate that, but..." She looked back at the ranges. It was a discouraging sight, truth be told. Her mind was so focused on things it didn't even need to stress over. Eventually, her gaze returned to the kelvic, the teen chewing the inside of her lip distractedly. "I don't really want to talk about what's bothering me, ma'am. It's...it's kind of personal."

A stone dropped on her head and her hair ruffled as the raptor passed overhead to land back where the other practice bows were. Vira reached up and rubbed the top of her head, scowling after the harrier. "Be damned with you, Tulaj, and go bother some mice at the pit or something. I don't need any more welts because you're feeling pissy at me." The bird just screeched back at her, shifting his weight forward and openeing his wings in a menacing way, to which the Chiet just snorted a laugh, turning away. "You're not that scary, snowbutt." A quick whistle at him and the albino at last left, leaving kelvic and human in peace.

"So, er, Endal Sira, what pointers can you give me?" She went back to the rack to retrieve the bow again, slinging it comfortably over her shoulder and then hurrying onto the target range (since there were no other archers in this quarter at the moment) to fetch the arrows. "An Avora's been helping some; but his duties and mine make meeting up for regular sessions difficult. I want to be able to bring bigger game back to the chicks some times at Tulaj just wasn't built for anything bigger than a medium rabbit. I'm having such a hard time focusing, though..." She still refrained from elaborating, however, that innate insecurity that this woman might judge her inabilities and find reason to report her for demotion. That would really suck after how hard she'd worked these last several years just to keep her place.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sira on December 9th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Sira chuckled as the bird dropped the rock on Lavira's head. It had an attitude for sure, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. A dull bird was not very useful when it came to falconry, though too much attitude could make it difficult to work with. The bird seemed to be pretty attached to Lavira though.

Sira found it hard to ignore the mystery behind whatever was bothering Lavira. It didn't help that she mentioned it again, blaming it on her reason for not being able to focus. Sira understood that personal problems could affect one's actions. More than once she had made mistakes because her mind was elsewhere.

"Well.. the best advice I can give you is to put whatever is bothering you out of your mind when you're practicing. But.. I'm not very good at that either, so I guess that's not all that helpful. If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine, I can still give you some tips on your form."

Sira lifted her bow, holding it out for Vira to see. It was old, worn, but well made and still fully functional. It was clear the weapon had seen years of use. It originally belonged to Sira's grandfather, a man she had never even met, and was given to her by her mother.

"Your stance didn't look to bad on that last shot, but I did notice one thing wrong. Your release was off. Your finger twisted the string a little right at the end which made the arrow fly off course. When you release you have to make sure not to pinch the string. Just let go, and follow through like your still pulling on the string. Like this."

Sira nocked an arrow and took aim at the nearest target, slowly pulling back on the string. It felt good to her, the strain on the muscles in her arm and back as she pulled the string back to her anchor point. She stopped for a moment to give a bit more advice.

"Now.. the way I shoot, I try not to take a long time aiming. I go by instinct, so as soon as I reach my anchor point I usually release. You don't have to do it that way, but for me it works better. Anyway.. when you do release, keep moving your hand back as if you were still pulling. Don't roll your fingers off the string, just let go, open your hand and move it back and out of the way. You don't want to twist or bump the string at all."

Sira released, doing exactly as she had described. She never lowered her bow, not until after the arrow struck home. It wasn't a bullseye, but it wasn't a bad shot either, hitting near the center. Sira exhaled the rest of her breath as she lowered her bow, turning to face Lavira.

"That's another thing. Don't lower your bow until after the target hits home. The reason for that is that if you lower it right after you release, you might bump the arrow in the process and screw up your shot. So you hold the position until the arrow hits, then lower. Now you try."

Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Balian Martell on December 4th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Sira :
Skills:
  • Weapon: Shortbow + 2
  • Observation: +2
  • Socialization: +2
  • Teaching: +1

Lores:
  • Dominance: Even amongst birds
  • My reputation precedes me
  • Lavira: Troubled Chiet

Lavira :
If you return PM me to get your grade.

Notes :
Sad to see this get cut short. It looked to be building into some serious character progression. I gave you what I could for it!

Enjoy!

If you've got concerns, just shoot me a pm.
To hunt, you need to know your prey just as well as you know yourself
a
Balians Wilderness Journal
Balian Martell
The young hunter

Words: 113544
Joined roleplay: November 12th, 2013, 2:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal