Questions from a newb :)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ryshaltze on July 22nd, 2010, 3:29 pm

Hi guys! Yup some questions before I can complete my character.

1) Regarding Language. It is said that one can have three languages, one at fluent, one at basic, one at poor. However, each race usually knows 2 languages (Drykas knows Pavi and Common, for eg). So would Common be considered a language? How do I resolve this?

2) Learning of Language. Is it possible to improve one's proficiency in language or even learn a new one? If it is so, would it be (in terms of process) similar to that of training a new skill?

3) If a PC owns no house or shelter but instead lodges at (let's say) his boss' office half the time and half the time elsewhere, would he have to get a 'house' or can he cash in the shelter to get the extra gold?

4) Going by this question regarding NPC, would I have to get moderator permission to create a NPC (his boss, colleagues, etc) since these characters are not very fleshed out and only serve as a minor tool to further his plots.

5) Can a normal weapon (ie common iron) be later reinforced with Isurian Steel to (in essence) change its material type to that of Isurian Steel?

That's it for now. As I'm usually too curious for my own good I may bombard yall with more questions as I go along!
Ryshaltze
Player

Words: 43040
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 11:40 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Kane Roth on July 22nd, 2010, 5:06 pm

Hey hey, I'll help with what I can, though it might not be much, just thought I'd do my part, happy to be of some help.

Ryshaltze wrote:1) Regarding Language. It is said that one can have three languages, one at fluent, one at basic, one at poor. However, each race usually knows 2 languages (Drykas knows Pavi and Common, for eg). So would Common be considered a language? How do I resolve this?

Common is a language, like the ever-present 'trade-speak' in SF rps, and is spoken by much of Mizahar, at least to my understanding.

Ryshaltze wrote:2) Learning of Language. Is it possible to improve one's proficiency in language or even learn a new one? If it is so, would it be (in terms of process) similar to that of training a new skill?

I don't see why not, but I know little of this, and as such don't take my answer as fact. Just my logic.

Ryshaltze wrote:3) If a PC owns no house or shelter but instead lodges at (let's say) his boss' office half the time and half the time elsewhere, would he have to get a 'house' or can he cash in the shelter to get the extra gold?

Well, the PC when starting can always cash in his/her shelter for gold and could live in a tent, though lodgings are very practical.

Ryshaltze wrote:4) Going by this question regarding NPC, would I have to get moderator permission to create a NPC (his boss, colleagues, etc) since these characters are not very fleshed out and only serve as a minor tool to further his plots.

All in all, I don't know enough to answer this question, better suited for more experienced players.

Ryshaltze wrote:5) Can a normal weapon (ie common iron) be later reinforced with Isurian Steel to (in essence) change its material type to that of Isurian Steel?

Though I can't say for sure, I'd be willing to say no. I don't see why one couldn't reinforce armor or weapons with a different material, though I'd highly doubt it would come near the material type.
Kane Roth
Player

Words: 74098
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2010, 3:35 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby John Vicari on July 22nd, 2010, 5:08 pm

1) Regarding Language. It is said that one can have three languages, one at fluent, one at basic, one at poor. However, each race usually knows 2 languages (Drykas knows Pavi and Common, for eg). So would Common be considered a language? How do I resolve this?

Most races only stick with two languages and really common is well the most used unless you go to a few races that are out of the way.

2) Learning of Language. Is it possible to improve one's proficiency in language or even learn a new one? If it is so, would it be (in terms of process) similar to that of training a new skill?

Yes. However it will be used as a Lore and not a skill per say.

3) If a PC owns no house or shelter but instead lodges at (let's say) his boss' office half the time and half the time elsewhere, would he have to get a 'house' or can he cash in the shelter to get the extra gold?

Most job areas in Mizahar will offer free housing if you can rp it and work it out.

4) Going by this question regarding NPC, would I have to get moderator permission to create a NPC (his boss, colleagues, etc) since these characters are not very fleshed out and only serve as a minor tool to further his plots.

If it is set in a location then I would just pm the storyteller. IF you wanted a npc for whatever reason we have a help file for that. http://www.mizahar.com/lore/NPC

5) Can a normal weapon (ie common iron) be later reinforced with Isurian Steel to (in essence) change its material type to that of Isurian Steel?

Mhm you could in a sense I think yet it won't change the material type to purely Isurian steel. Just like you can't change a stick into a metal rod. So in essence if you wanted that I would just save the Miza and get a blacksmith to make you a weapon of the steel.

I hope this helped and welcome to Mizahar
John Vicari
Player

Words: 107575
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Panna Cotta on July 22nd, 2010, 6:00 pm

Wow, an Ethaefal! Welcome to Mizahar, and let me offer additional advices to the answers to your questions.

1.Yup, Common is a Language. Not because it's common it means that you have to know it. It would be weird however, should you need to go to a place that doesn't speak your tongue. It's a challenge, but not exactly impossible. A humanoid race will probably be less fluent at common, and it's (maybe not that) easy to roleplay speech impediments.

3 and 4. Usually when you create an NPC, it's related to your Character. I'm hoisting my brows at what you're trying to imply, can you conjure up an NPC who will take you under its wing so you can get the extra cash when you cash out lodging? :p Wily. I suggest you file a ticket at the Help Desk, both to request for an NPC (see link) and to check with your Storyteller if a "custom job" could be worked out for you that will offer free food and lodging for your PC. With or without an NPC, there are other jobs that offer exactly so. :)

5. Can a normal weapon (ie common iron) be later reinforced with Isurian Steel to (in essence) change its material type to that of Isurian Steel?

By my experience "reinforcing" common iron with Isurian Steel is unheard of. Technically, you don't meld the strongest type of known metal into somthing cheap. Isurian steel is too rare outside Sultros and is almost unique to the Isurs, you see. :)

Ask your questions away, we'll try our best to answer your queries. :D
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Ryshaltze on July 23rd, 2010, 1:01 am

Thanks for the replies (and so fast too!) :) Looks like it's been a good idea to invest my time into this site. The only thing I like better than a well crafted RP forum is having an active community (the last RP I was heavily involved in died after a couple of years and I have been searching ever since sigh).

Alright. Um I dont really see how Language could be a Lore, as it has four ranks of profiency (No idea - Poor - Basic - Fluent). Can a mod shed more light on this?

Panna Cotta thanks for the answers, your hoisting eyebrow efforts are not wasted. I would like to clarify further, however, that what if I wanted said NPC business to be a customized one not found in the list (or whatever you've got)? I was thinking of working in exchange for not income, but maybe some pocket money, lodging and ANSWERS (related to PC plot).
Ryshaltze
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Vicari on July 23rd, 2010, 2:34 am

Well think of it like this. Lore wise you can know something as poor just as knowing a bit of it to knowing so much you could write a book on the topic.

As for that type of npc you are looking for just talk to a storyteller of your starting area and see if you can work something out.
John Vicari
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ryshaltze on July 23rd, 2010, 2:46 am

Another question!

What is the development of music (and musical instruments) in Mizahar? I find this area quite undeveloped in terms of descriptions of musical styles/genres, as well as the variety of available instruments on the price list. What types are acceptable and not? What sort of string/brass,etc instruments are available and what arent? EG. piano, guitar, double bass, didgeridoo (sp?),etc
Ryshaltze
Player

Character sheet

Postby John Vicari on July 23rd, 2010, 4:20 am

That I am not to sure of yet:

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/post2129.html#p2129 This is from Syliras musical store.

Bagpipes - 16 Gm
Bamboo pipe - 1 Gm
Bells - 5 Gm
Bongos - 3 Gm
Chimes - 6 Gm
Clarinet/Oboe - 7 GM
Cornett - 2 Gm
Cymbals - 4 Gm
Dulcimers - 12 Gm
Fiddle - 16 GM
Flute - 5 Gm
Gittern - 8 Gm
Goblet Drum - 5 Gm
Gong - 4 Gm
Gourds - 4 Sm
Harmonica - 1 Gm
Harp - 20 Gm
Harpsicord - 60 Gm
Kettledrums - 6 Gm
Koto - 8 Gm
Lute - 7 Gm
Lyra - 11 Gm
Lyre - 15 Gm
Mandoline - 8 Gm
Panpipes - 2 Gm
Penny - 6 Sm
Rattle - 6 Sm
Recorder - 2 Gm
Sitar - 8 Gm
Tabor - 4 Gm
Tambourine - 1 Gm
Tibia - 5 Gm
Tomtom - 6 Gm
Triangle 1 Gm
Viola - 14 Gm
Violin - 13 Gm
Whistle flute - 5 Sm
Xylophone - 40 Gm

From the price list it has that was made by Gossamer for her city. I am not sure of anything else other then I am sure bards are around the lands in any type of tavern is such but yeah sorry I can't give any more help.

I have seen a npc skilled in guitar skill by the way so music is around and such.
John Vicari
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Ryshaltze on July 23rd, 2010, 9:55 am

Thank you so much! That is much more useful. In any case I think I shall begin a thread sometime about bards. So if anyone has any characters who's a bard and wouldn't mind meeting a PC who loves music (but who can't play anything), let me know!

PS: I have a new question! Regarding monsters, can we invent new monsters on our own to use in our threads? Or do we have to use existing ones? For example, if my PC has to fight landspawns, can he only fight Yukmen (since those are the only examples listed in the wiki) or can I invent similar type of landspawns?
Ryshaltze
Player

Character sheet

Postby Panna Cotta on July 23rd, 2010, 12:06 pm

Inventing a new landspawn is a long arduous process, but not impossible. You have to go through the whole trouble of creating a Lore for a specific monster you have in mind. Check through the sections of World Development, you'd see guides on how to submit Wiki Articles. And then your Monster will have to go through scrutiny, input, until approval. Then, you can use it in a thread.

The bad side of it is that it might take a while for the article to get approved. The good side of that is you've not only added to the Lore of Mizahar, but you also get a Lore Author medal for your contribution.

If that sounds too much of a hassle, :D feel free to use the existing monsters.
Panna Cotta
I'm your Princess P

Words: 320216
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2010, 2:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Staff account
Office
Trailblazer (1)