Closed Learning starts with understanding

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Learning starts with understanding

Postby Vick on August 16th, 2013, 3:22 am

“Thomas, Please meet me within my lab. It’s time we play a game once again.” It was a simple letter that was not signed but Vick found no need for it to be signed or dated as the letter was sent off to Thomas from another pusler. Vick knew Thomas would know the letter by heart or at least would hope that would be the case but it had been almost a season since the two had last met.

The last meeting did not go that great as Vick used a new Malediction artifact and fought Thomas hand to hand. Not only did Vick wound Thomas but he knew he hurt his pride as well. Since then the two have kept their space which was easy enough for Vick since he kept it either his lab or was off inflicting pain to a slave for research.

Yet this was a time now for Vick and Thomas to meet again however Vick had no reason to play with Thomas other than use him as a test subject. Yet this game was not meant for him but for the other undead, ghosts, they were still an issue to Vick even with his status of a wizard. If a ghost wanted to it could have its way with Vick and it was past time for Vick to fix that issue.

Books about Spiritism were stacked on his table, a black board was moved to face the left wall with two good chairs were placed in front of it. The chairs were made out of a deep wood with feather cushions on the bottoms and back. Something Vick was borrowing for the day.

It was a small set up but a setup nonetheless for them to work and study under. Vick could not recall if he knew or not if Thomas could speak or read in Nader-Canoch which the books were made for but Vick would show a branch of faith and help. At least for now as Vick knew he could use Thomas later but in the end even today could have been one of his childish mood swings.

The letter was sent late at night and Vick would wait until Thomas came. Really Vick did not even know it was that late for nuits never did sleep and he learned long ago not to think about the passing of time inside the walls of the isle. The board was empty, the many books stacked along his cleared and empty desk which just left Vick alone for his own musings.

His dead unblinking eyes passed over the room of his many item creations and a sack near the chairs. The sack just held a few food items for the lesson. Eggs, sacks of flour and cheese which Vick was told was what most started out with but he would understand that later. In the meantime Vick just picked up a simple small block of wood, a quill with ink and his set of carving tools and went to work.

His first goal was just to draw a few outlines on the block. His drawing skills were slowly getting better but Vick knew he would have to really start trying harder to get better with his crafting skills. His crafting skills he felt were his drawing skills, carving and even painting skills. Painting was just more of a side track even compared to other things like Voiding as painting was just to hide malediction he started long ago.

Yet drawing and carving were one in the same to him. He both had to have both on the same levels that he would call great as he had to use them daily for his malediction craft. He knew his craft was suffering from his lack of crafting and he had to fix that. So in his spare time he would dabble around in hopes to get better over time.

He was having a hard time trying to picture what to draw yet he knew something would come as he looked around his lab. It did not take him long before he started with a circle along the face of the block. A light touch of the tip of the quill moved along the surface and coming down to the right, curve at the bottom and back up to the top.

Circles were easy for him as anyone with the slightest hint of drawing could do them however more than that he had to draw so many so often for his real passion. Yet this was just not going to be a circle along the surface of the block.

At the most bottom point of the circle, along the right edge he made a line down, curving it at the bottom just a bit and back up to the left making the second design into a barrel shape along the circle.

A smaller curved line was formed on the left and right of the circle and barrel shaped. The image was slowly coming to life as he made two more circles this time in the center and along with two thin triangular shapes below that.

The image was a skull that was forming. The circle was the head, the barrel shape was the skull, two curved lines on the side were cheekbones and the circles and triangular shapes were eyes and nose.

A line was formed to fill out the mandible and vertical lines were made to show the teeth along the skull. Before long more vertical lines were formed at the top to give the image in the wood more depth and slow the top of the skull and forehead more protruded in nature and for the viewer.

It was not a bad skull but he saw mistakes. The lines just were not perfect enough and the image did not strike him as art. His jaw was too much round and not pointed enough, his cheekbones just looked more out of place with the eyes and the idea of the nose seemed off.

How long had passed since he started? He was not sure but Thomas still was not in the room so Vick just pulled out an iron pick and started tracing along the block of wood carving every so lightly into the image.

The drawing was to be used as a template for the carving stage. Carving had a lot of different stages but Vick mainly used just a few and a iron pick the most to indent his items as things did not have to look fancy or a lot of work as long as he could make it work in the end. Yet he was trying to get better as well so he could one day make statues with great detail.

The tip of the pick moved along the top filling in the ink filled surface, his hands were rough still and the movements were not smoothed out like he wanted in his head but it was still a passable job for something that would not be used.

The shreds of wood fell to the ground along with the dust as Vick filled his dead lungs with air before blowing along the surface of the image as he kept going. Really he could do this forever and not be tired from his joints. He could not even recall what tired felt like anymore as the years of time made him lose his grip on the living in many different fashions but the thought never crossed his mind that he forgot something so simple in his search for power.

It was then that Vick was brought back to the present as his door did not open but was closed, his head turning and a smile touching his lips as he greeted the new figure that was guest in his world.

Credit goes to Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Vick
Master Maledictor

Words: 355163
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 11:44 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on August 20th, 2013, 4:43 pm

51st of Summer, 512 AV

"Master Apprentice Cosa?"

"Hmm," he nodded, chewing thoughtfully on a quill; Thomas barely looked away from the towering pile of blueprints and schematics threatening to tip off the desk, he sighed, turning away from the intimidating pile of copies waiting for his corrections. "I'm him; can I help you?" Thomas frowned, setting the quill besides a couple of sheets of parchment.

"A letter, sir, it's --."

"Doesn't matter," Thomas shrugged, "Just put it over there, behind the pile. I've to finish all of this," he gestured to the tower of papers, "Before I check my mail," the master apprentice scoffed, grabbing two sheets from the pile.

"No, sir, the letter is --."

"Very important, I'm sure," Thomas interrupted, checking the two designs against each other. The basic follower golem was an easy enough blueprint for the novice gadgeteer to follow, but still, he would need to go over these two several times before giving his OK on the blueprint copies.

"Master Vick sent it, sir."

"Vick," Thomas echoed, grabbing the letter from the messenger. "Leave, now," he shooed the pulser away, hands still gripped tightly around the letter. His last meeting with the child-nuit hadn't faired well; Thomas leaving with bruised ego and body.

And despite as much as he wanted to, Thomas couldn't ignore from a master. He quickly ripped the outer covering, and unfolding the letter, he read:

Thomas, Please meet me within my lab. It’s time we play a game once again.

"Petch," Thomas groaned.

A summons.
"Master Vick. You've sent for me?"

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Vick on February 18th, 2014, 10:11 pm

"Hello Thomas. So good to see you at last. Tell me how have you been since our last meeting." The child greeted Thomas as he waved his hand down to the next seat.

"Think of this as...a show of faith. This island has many things that can kill both of us and sometimes death will be the least of our worries. Yes I am throwing you in this for you already are on the way of playing this fun fun game of cat and mouse once more. You see we are alone in this for now and I would just love to have us both get to know each other better."

Vick said and just kept talking as he looked at Thomas with unblinking eyes.

"You see we are going to learn a fun lesson dealing with ghosts. Spiritism is a world magic as I am sure you know about but tell me do you know anything more about it? Or would you toys keep you safe from a ghost that seeks your death?"

Vick did not really give Thomas time to give an answer as he stood up and went to the board as he started writing things down.

"Spiritism is one of the world magic branches. It deals with ghost and tales that down the road can deal with undead. We can use it for combat or manipulation yet the risk is death or other things but that is the life of a wizard."

Vick said as he wrote down word by word as well on what he spoke about but besides that it was as far as he knew as he pointed to the stack of books.

"So you can either read with me or leave and be on your own. No tricks. No strings. Either work with me or walk away and that will be the final of things"

Vick said looking upon him. It was up to him and he gave him the choice. Yet was this choice as simple as he said it was?

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 7th, 2014, 2:42 am

"I've been well," Thomas answered, somehow managing to keep his tone polite, but not coldly so -- it was a wonder, really, considering how child horror left him breathless and broken and beaten. Vick had made him feel so physically helpless, so completely outmatched in a way Thomas hadn't felt since Syliras; sure, he was outclassed magically and perhaps even intellectually among the undead of the Citadel, but it had always been a consolation that he could take them in a fight -- not anymore though.

And now, seemingly out of nowhere, the undead brat was trying to amend things? Had he heard about the promotion? "A show of faith? Or an attempt to win me over?" Thomas mused, allowing himself the delusion that the master of bones would ever find such a pulser of interest. And there was the so called game, a childish allusion to the deadly politics of the isle.

Maybe he was seeking an alliance.

Or more realistically, seeking a weakness.

"And so we'll...be reading. Together. Comparing notes and observations, like we're school children?" He asked, his tone obviously one of disbelief. Why the sudden interest in Spiritism? And more importantly, why not involve someone more established in the world magic? More and more questions fed into his paranoia, feeding his delusions and imagined dangers.

Thomas made his way over quickly to the table, picking one of the larger books. He handled it carefully, noticing how old it looked -- and pretty. Dust collected over a gilded, prettily drawn title, in nader canoch, of course. Forcing Control Over Death and Undeath written long ago by someone long forgotten by the disaster of the then Valterrian.

"Are we looking for something specific?" he asked, carefully opening the book, "Master?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Vick on May 16th, 2016, 12:13 am

"No. Just learning and since Sahova has so many books on so many topics I felt we would learn by this first. Plus everyone else is rather busy this time of year."

The nuit said as he flipped through a few pages of a book looking rather interested in the reading as he spent most of his life researching different topics. Even if he never was seen doing it most of the time but that was just something he had to do in order to survive living on the island.

"Reading like school children?"

He asked as he let himself blink for once trying to understand something like that. School's and children were not a thing in Sahova and he knew Thomas knew that. Was it a joke he was not understanding? While Vick was always using a children's body he never did seem to be social with anyone or joke around as you just never did. Few people stayed on the island and fewer were around as long as he was.

"Yes. We will do the research by books first. Figure out this...Soulmist...Something with food and djed."

Vick said as he read over a small page of what looked like a recipe for cooking. A half cup of dough, one egg, one part cheese and mix. Something about chewing and spitting it with faded out words in between. While they had the largest and more kept books about any forms of magic it still was not always perfect Vick thought as he took a notebook and slowly starting putting down notes and ideas.

'Soulmist - Food? Any food? Need to find out.'

It was just a simple note really but he knew more would come as he looked back at Thomas and the bag he brought that had things like this. Was it that common or just that easy? What were the root reasons?

"Tell me. Have you dealt with any ghosts in the past? We have a lot of them around here."

Vick asked as he looked back at the book trying to make sense of whatever this soulmist was to do. Even he did not know everything but when he did research things he did throw himself into it and always lost track of time since he never had to eat or sleep. Most of the time he forgot about the needs of others since they never did last that long around him.

Vick
Master Maledictor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on May 18th, 2016, 1:24 pm

"Hmmmm," Thomas hummed, pretending to read as he flipped through the dusty text, concentrating as his own magic reached out for Vick's aura. Casting personal magic still startled him, the cold shock of his internal Djad, strangely foreign and familiar, as it pushed away, making the world around him suddenly more. It crept and colored the way to the centuries old master, highlighting his undeath, the stink of rot and musk, the papyrus rolls of his dying skin. The physical was always the most obvious, the first he really noticed, the colors of emotion always brightening a tick or two after his spell wove into the subject's aura.

"I guess soulmist is some kind of feed?" He asked, his finger tracing the faded ink recipe, his mind juggling translating the ancient tongue into common, and back again as he spoke the dead language to the master, both out of respect and a desperate need to prove himself. "Food from three different sources...." Thomas frowned, not entirely sure what that meant, "So, like from three different animals? Like goat's cheese, cow's milk, and a chicken's egg? Does it have to creamy? Can we use cooked ingredients?" He asked, both to the Nuit and the book. The idea of mashing the raw ingredients together in his mouth wasn't entirely pleasing.

Not that he wouldn't do it. The wizard had done worse things for magic, and for less. A raw egg wasn't about to throw him, not now.

"I haven't done much with ghost, not really. I was advised against spending time in the courtyard," Thomas admitted, not confessing the idea of spending time with the dead worried him more than a bit. What had centuries of enslavement, if the rumors were true, done to the spirits of the Courtyard?

"Have you spent much time with the dead, Master Vick?" He asked, his magic spilling further, deeper into the mulled aura, a snake in water, hunting for whatever colors it could scrounge up.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes