Closed Bruises (Rue)

The first meeting between Rue and Arundel.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Arundel on August 18th, 2013, 4:06 pm

513 AV, 7th Day of Summer

Arundel wound her way through the tents of Endrykas, not in any particular route. She had a pronounced hop in her step, so that her baby sister Reed bounced playfully on her shoulders. Sometimes her sister would give a little squeal of delight if she nearly lost of her balance, and would grab two fistfuls of hair - much to the expense of her tolerable sister. Arundel gave a discreet wince as once more the roots of her hair nearly ripped out, and Reed wobbled precariously. She placed steadying hands on the spindly legs hanging over the front of her shoulders, keeping her from toppling backwards. "You alright up there?" she asked for the third time in just a few chimes. A sassy little huff of exasperation from above made her grin. "Yes!" came Reed's confident voice, sounding more than a little indignant. "Of course you are, sweetheart," Arundel soothed, giving one of those little legs a squeeze.

They lapsed into another one of their comfortable silences. Reed looked all around in excited contentment. She relished their outings just as much as her older sister, who adored and worshiped the little girl like any mother would their own child. "Look!" her little voice suddenly shouted from above. Two hands grabbed Arundel's short hair and yanked it like a pair of reigns, making her turn her head. "What?" she asked, sounding just as exasperated as Reed had a few moments ago. "Dresses," her little sister crooned, wiggling wildly on her shoulders. The child loved to dress up. If it was even remotely feminine, she was all over it. The little diva. Arundel rolled her eyes, spotting the pavilion that had caught her sister's attention.

"Would you like to go in?" There was an instant yes in reply, making her smile. "Alright," she conceded, making a b-line straight for the open shop. "Watch your head," she ordered just as they passed under and into the pavilion. Arundel approuched the first dresses she saw, before Reed had the chance to fly right off her shoulders and cause any trouble. "I don't want you to touch anything, you hear? If you break it, I buy it. You can look all you want, but no touchy touch." She pinched her little thigh gently, eliciting a disappointed groan. "Bu-!" Arundel's instant grunt of disapproval silenced any objection about to pop out of her sister's mouth. She was too smart for her own good, being so young. She was going to be driving the family up the walls by the time she was a teenager.

There was other clothing, aside from dresses, but those weren't what Reed was interested in. She pointed out every interesting detail her child eyes could take in, ooohing and aaahing - which was comical to Arundel, but a very serious matter to her little sister. The dresses were pleasing to the eye. There was nothing extravagant about them, but they hugged their displays in all the right places and were very likable colors. Very ladylike. One in particular caught her eye. It was a dark purple, like a very particularly upset storm cloud. The sleeves were long, widening at the elbows to hang past the waist. The square neckline swooped low, and would expose much of the collar area of the wearer, ending just above the cleavage. The waist hugged close, accented by a cloth belt that hung down the front of the dress, giving the appearance of some kind of pennant.

Simple gold knotwork embroidery decorated the belt, as well as around the elbows and neckline. The inside of the sleeves were lined with a slightly lighter purple, accenting the rest of the gown excellently. A very tasteful dress, though she was sure the sleeves would get in the way of anything other than dancing and revelry.
Arundel
Neigh!

Words: 118477
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Naiya on August 18th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Rue

Crooked. She abhorred that word. More so when it was applied to her work. In fact, she spent more hours than she could count making sure that it was a word that could not be used to describe her work.

That however did not mean that it didn't happen occasionally. Or maybe more often than that, despite her best efforts.

She studied the backstitching on the seam of the pants. It may have been slightly crooked, but you couldn't tell from the outside of the pants, the seam was flat and straight, the whipstitching there was flawless. Mostly. If the seam was flat and straight with no more than two or three visibly larger stitches on the outside, was it really so bad that it needed to be entirely redone?

Apparently the answer was yes, or so she had learned. She frowned down at the work before her, feeling the pull of sore muscles as she moved to start removing the stitching.

She was rescued by the darkening of the entrance to the pavilion, and she glanced up to greet the customers. The smile that overcame her had nothing to do with work and everything to do with the adorable child perched upon the shoulders of the woman who had entered. The girl's childish excitement lightened the pavilion, filling the space with energy that no one would have noticed the lack of if it had been replaced. A contagious feeling to replace the annoyance Rue had been feeling only moments before.

They seemed to be looking only for the entertainment of the child, clamoring over the dresses on display around the shop. Rue was more than willing to allow them the freedom, and she happened to know of a number of dresses towards the back that the girl could try on if she so wished. She was about to say so when she noticed the woman studying one of the newer dresses that was on display.

It was the one that reminded Rue of the color that a bruise turned, a deep purple that hinted at a darker color underneath. For a moment she wondered if that thought had more to do with the many shades of purple that had appeared across her body the day before than it did with the actual color of the dress. Regardless, she stood to approach the woman who admired the work.

"This is one of my current favorites." Rue said softly, resting her hand on the shoulder of the mannequin. She smiled again at the two visitors and signed a welcome. "I'm Rue, and I work here, so please let me know if there is anything I can do for you while you're here."

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Arundel on August 26th, 2013, 1:10 am

Her sister wiggled with excitement atop her perch on Arundel's shoulders. When she got a really good look at the dress her older sister was examining, she sighed dreamily. It made Arundel grin. "Pretty," Reed breathed, and she hummed in agreement. "I like the colors, don't you?" She could feel her sister's head nod straight down her little spine, and she couldn't help but smile widely. In the corner of her eye, she caught movement. It pulled her attention away from the lovely gown, and she looked at the girl who approached them.

She was young and pretty, with gorgeous, thick red curls and beautiful blue eyes. Arundel thought she fit right in with all the fine clothes. Her smile slipped into one of polite greeting befitting a stranger. She signed a thank you, smiling a little wider after the introduction. "I'm Arundel. This is my little sister, Reed." She motioned up to the child on her shoulders. Suddenly, it seemed her baby sister was going to play bashful. She ducked her little head down, looking at Rue through long eyelashes. Reed's lips puckered with the effort of suppressing a smile. Arundel gently pinched her thigh. "She's not actually shy, only wants to come off as the cute, innocent, and perfect child. In reality she's a terror and the diva of our pavilion. Runs our family with a little iron fist."

Arundel feigned a look of fearful obedience, pointing her thumb up at Reed. "Don't let her fool you." Reed squealed and giggled, yanking her sister's hair playfully. "Nuh uh!" she huffed defensively, wiggling wildly in her laughter. Arundel held her legs so she didn't fall off, smiling easily. "Anyway, thank you. But I'm afraid we won't be making any purchases today, so you get to keep this beautiful dress a little longer." She looked at it again, a little longingly. If only it didn't have those awkward looking sleeves. She ignored the disappointed groan from her sister. "Did you make it?" she asked, looking at Rue again. This time she really looked at her - not just a cursory examination like before. Her eyes narrowed when she saw the bruises standing out against her skin, clear as day.

Before Rue could answer, she blurted, "What on earth happened to you, child?" Arundel was unable to keep the question inside, her curiosity was so sudden and so intense - like a spark taking to kindling. And though Rue obviously wasn't a child, even if it was clear that she was quite a bit younger than Arundel, it was a habitual instinct from mothering her little sister so much. The maternal drive, one could say. Quickly, she backpedaled, an instant look of mortification on her face when she realized what had come out of her mouth. "I'm so sorry," she stuttered, signing a hasty apology. "That's none of my business, forgive me." More than a little embarrassed, she frowned, inwardly chastising herself. Some things were private matters. But she couldn't help and imagine different scenarios that could have caused those bruises.

An abuse family member? Worse yet, an abusive husband? Her insides flamed with outrage just thinking about it, and Arundel had to mash her lips together and grind her teeth to keep from blurting any more personal questions.
Arundel
Neigh!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Naiya on August 26th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Rue
There was a time when Rue and her sisters had been close like the two before her, but that had been long ago before their father's words had tainted her. It was, she decided, of little consequence now, and she was content to enjoy the interaction of theirs without envy.

Rue started to answer about the dress, but almost before she had the thought in her head, another question was posed. One Arundel seemed to regret asking just as much as Rue would have had their roles been reversed. Luckily for them both, Rue was used to the odd looks and the concern her occasional spattering of bruises caused. Even more luckily, this time her bruises weren't at all what the woman before her seemed to assume.

She signed a soft reassurance shaking her head at the hasty apology that followed, although a soft blush tinted her cheeks. This set of bruises had nothing to do with the matters of abuse that many assumed and then ignored.

"I was sparring with my uncle," Rue started, in hopes of soothing the other Drykas, "It was maybe a bit of an uneven match, but it was also a measure of my worth that he was willing to try even, rather than leaving off with only instruction." Worth was probably a poor word choice considering, but she couldn't take it back after she had spoken, instead she made signs for respect and pride. "Needless to say, I have some bruises and sore spots from the bout, but my uncle is not without his share." She grinned, her blush chased away by pride.

"This one," She motioned to the dark shape that crossed her cheek and jaw, the one that had more than likely drawn her concern, "Was more my fault anyway. I-

She searched for words to explain the maneuver, how she had tricked her way into getting the arm bar on her uncle, but it seemed too long a story so she settled for a sign of embarrassment followed by accomplishment and finished by saying "Well I suppose I dropped myself on my face, but it sure got Uncle off his guard."

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Arundel on August 26th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Her angry features fell with obvious relief, once she knew the bruises weren't of domestic causes. Or were they still, technically? Arundel smiled a little. She was proud to see that a young woman was training her body in such a way. Endrykas needed everyone to be able bodied, from the cooks to the seamstresses, and everything in between. "I am glad it was not from abuse," she breathed. "I feared someone had hit you in the privacy of your home." Even though it wasn't thus, her eyes blazed again just thinking about it. If any one of her family members raised a hand against her, she'd raise hers right back. But she pushed the thoughts away and looked a little sheepish. "I'm sorry for assuming. It's good that you train. What particularly were you honing? Bow, shield, fist?"

Her curiosity was peaked once more, out of genuine interest. Combat, horses, and anything that one sweated over was her kind of activities. Arundel wasn't sure how Rue didn't go crazy working in a pavilion like this, even if it was lovely. It was her mother's trade as well, but Arundel liked to get her hands dirty. She didn't make clothes, she wore holes in them and tore them up. Carefully, she lifted Reed from her shoulders and set her down. Before the child could flee to who knew where, she held fast to her arm and leaned down to speak to her. "Don't go running off, alright? And don't you touch anything without our permission, especially Rue's. You have to be very careful with these things, so that you don't tear or dirty them."

Reed puckered her lips in a pout, but with a stern glare from her older sister, she finally nodded. When Arundel let her go, she dashed to the other side of the pavilion, going to examine some more dresses. They were plainer, and more Arundel's style. But only because they would be within her budget. She watched Reed for a few short moments, making sure the pavilion didn't suddenly explode, before turning her eyes back to Rue. She smiled. "I need to get out and work with my spears soon. They've collected a little dust recently. Lack of use." Her signs were a little regretful, and embarrassed. Here Rue was covered with bruises from what must have been a very thorough training session, and Arundel was being lazy. She grimaced slightly to herself.
Arundel
Neigh!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Naiya on August 26th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Rue
"Fist." Rue confirmed with a smile, glad to have an easy way to move beyond the talk of violence in her home. It wasn't a topic she wished to linger on. "My uncle sometimes travels, seeking out martial art forms from all over, he usually returns home with all sorts of new things to teach. My family, we used to travel for trade, and because of that I have always been taught to defend myself."

She glanced over at the little girl, Reed, who scurried from one pretty item to the next and she gestured to the girl. "I happen to know of some dresses that she could try on, if not for buying, then for the pleasure of trying them on." She spoke so that the younger would not over hear, but she had wanted to extend the offer before anyway, and at Arundel's comment it seemed a good a time as any.

"I've never worked with a spear, just my hands and a bow, well daggers sometimes too, but I tend to think of those as an extention of my hands. My only claim with a bow is that I'm fast if not quite accurate." She laughed softly. "Maybe that would change if I took the time to practice, but usually I stick to what I know best."

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Arundel on September 2nd, 2013, 5:43 pm

"It sounds like your family has prepared you well," she said appreciatively. "I've done the same a few times, but my brothers are the traders, not me." She smiled devilishly. "I don't have the effortless social and bartering skills that my father and brothers seem to possess. They make it look so easy. The few times I tried... well, we didn't make a profit. Not that it was a riot, anyways. I was bored nearly the death every time. Gods, especially in Kenash. Everyone was so cocky there, I felt like a wild woman who'd crawled straight out of the muck surrounded by all that finery." She rolled her eyes, mock shivering at the memory, but smiling.

Rue's next offer took her by pleasant surprise. The hushed tone at first confused her, but Arundel also glanced over at Reed, understanding the need. The child would have a heart attack if she overhead. And even though her older sister wouldn't refuse this offer, the little thing would pester her until she accepted, and hate her if she didn't. Her smile grew a little wider, and a light of amusement glowed in her eyes. "You are very kind to offer. She would love it, I know." Arundel spoke up so her sister could overhear. "Reed, come here please," she ordered gently. Curiosity getting the better of her, Reed complied. Arundel picked her up and placed her on her hip. She was getting heavy.

"I'm wondering," she said now, again to Rue, "if you would like to train together soon?" She was hesitant, and smiling uncertainly. They'd only just met, but she already liked the girl. It was uncommon to find someone who clicked so easily, let alone that had the makings of a good partner for spars and the like. "That is of course if you want. I understand if you'd prefer to train within the confines of family. You have no idea if I'm some psychotic brute." Arundel couldn't help but smile at that. Reed looked at them in confusion. Some of the words she didn't understand yet. Her young mind could only piece together some of the conversation.

"We can train in martial arts, and I can show you the fundamentals of working with a spear. You could help me better myself with a bow." Her eyes shined with excitement, just thinking about it. She loved to train, especially with good, like-minded company. Training brought her that much closer to the Watch. "What?" Reed suddenly piped up. Arundel looked at her, smiling apologetically. "I'm sorry, dear. Rue here wants to know if you would like to try on dresses. You would like to, wouldn't you?" Her sister's eyes grew wide with excitement, and she showed off her little teeth in a cherub smile that would make a heart of stone crumble. She smiled back, and at Rue. "Yes, yes!" Reed gushed, nodding erratically with a bird-like Bob of her head.

"The boss has spoken," she joked at Rue, grinning and forking an eyebrow.
Last edited by Arundel on September 6th, 2013, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arundel
Neigh!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Naiya on September 5th, 2013, 10:43 pm

Rue
Rue laughed at the idea, she could hardly imagine the woman before her as a so called 'wild woman'. Then again, maybe that wasn't true...

"Maybe all Drykas women are wild when compared with the people of Kenash... Or maybe its just the ones worth knowing." She gave a Arundel a knowing grin, the older woman had maybe felt like a wild woman, but Rue more than once truly was one. In fact even this morning someone had mentioned the wild look about her as she woke. Bruised and half dressed with her hair falling in tangled waves around her face, she had more than looked the part. The thought made her laugh again.

With a child on her hip as they shopped for dresses, Arundel spoke of perhaps having a hidden psychotic tendency to beat up on unsuspecting strangers. Rue cocked her head to the side and furrowed her brow at the other, her hands raising to sign the words she had spoken 'psychotic brute' forming them softly with the raise of a question.

"Yes, I can see by the way that your sister has you leashed so tightly that you must be heavy handed and not to be trusted. However, maybe if she comes along to keep an eye on you, it would be fun to train with someone who doesn't get to berate me over dinner for having poor aim."

Arundel's next words to Rue only cinched her point. "The boss has spoken."

"Right this way, madam." Rue spoke, giving her voice a slight monotone as she curtsied to the two playfully. She led them back to where they had children's items arranged by color on the tabletop. Beside that was a hanging selection of dresses with adjustable ties and hidden hems designed for children who grew so quickly.

Rue picked up two dresses at random. One a youthfully pale green with a high squared neckline decorated with a darker green embroidery, the other a medium purple with a full skirt and a bow at the waist. "What do you think?" She asked Reed holding them up for inspection.

Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Arundel on September 9th, 2013, 9:57 pm

A chuckle escaped her at Rue's complimentary rebuttal. Arundel liked to think that she was worth knowing. An unforgettable soul of sorts. One of those people who didn't bore everyone to death, but who others looked forward to being with. The youngster made goods points, on every matter. She flashed her teeth in a smile and adjusted an excited, squirming Reed on her hip. "Her eyes are the keenest. She would be a good spectator, if only matters of weapons and fists interested her." Arundel looked at her sister, who was now making a disgusted face at the change of subject. "She's much more interested in her shoes, dresses, and the neighboring pavilions' boys."

"But we'd better get her into some finery before she scratches my eyes out," Arundel laughed, trying to look afraid as she smiled at her baby sister. "Dresses!" Reed squealed, bouncing on the round hip she was seated on.

She couldn't help but laugh, head rolling back in mirth at Rue's curtsy. Her short curls tumbled behind her shoulders and tickled the tops of her shoulder blades. Arundel returned the playful gesture as gracefully as she could with a child hefted in her arms, eyes crinkling and lips press together to muffle her enjoyment. She followed along behind Rue, carrying Reed with one arm hooked around her sister's narrow body. The other picked up the skirt of her dress so she didn't tumble over anything. She set the child down once the young seamstress pulled out two examples. They both watched the youngster in interested amusement as she, rather dramatically, looked the pieces over.

Reed shook her head imperiously, and dashed over to some of the articles that were hanging. She touched a long - though of course still small - dark blue dress, showing reverence in the way her fingers ran along the elbow-length sleeve. It had beautiful lacework in the back, a high square neck, and a small train. Probably why it looked long to Arundel. While the child's back was turned, she quickly signed apologies to Rue, a slightly embarrassed smile puckering her features.
Arundel
Neigh!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Bruises (Rue)

Postby Naiya on September 10th, 2013, 1:12 am

Rue
Rue stifled a laugh as the child dismissed both of the dresses she held with a haughty shake of her head, instead dashing behind her to a beautiful blue dress. Still standing in front of her, Arundel's face twisted into a grimace as she signed an apology. Rue shook her head, returning a sign of reassurance.

"Oh, of course. I should have known blue was better." She hung the other two dresses and pulled the third down for the girl. "Do you need help putting it on?"

The girl thought for a moment before shaking her head. Rue pointed her towards the dressing room and handed her the dress. "Be careful." She cautioned as she stumbled in her haste. When she had disappeared behind the curtain Rue turned again to Arundel.

"Really, I would love to train with you. Please don't take my teasing the wrong way. In my house it is a survival skill." Sincerity and excitement followed with her words, her hands signing smoothly and carefully as not to be mistaken.

"I don't know that I could throw a spear far, most of what I do doesn't require that sort of motion, but I can attest to some strength, maybe it will be enough to keep you from laughing too hard at my attempts." She grinned sheepishly, turning her hands up in a 'what can I do' sort of motion.
oocIf I've gone too far by the playing for Reed, let me know. I didn't have much of a post without it, but I can make due another way.
Nightsong
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes