Flashback Oh Daughter Mine

In Which Xincen Rowan Gives A Gift

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on August 28th, 2013, 11:02 pm

507 AV, Season of Spring, Day 80

"Is mama still here?" Kit asked, hope rising in her chest like the sun in the morning. But unlike Syna, her hopes quickly sunk.

"No," Uncle said, daring a sideways glance at Auntie. "No, your father is just staying with us for a while. Until he gets better."

"Yes." Auntie said, licking her lips, fidgeting. They were, Kit knew, hiding something from her. Or perhaps they were nervous. But nervous about what? "Come here, Kit." Auntie said, putting a hand on Kit's shoulder and guiding her in front, so she could face her father.

He was sitting in a lonely little chair off to the side. Kit knew he was not old, at least, not severely old, but age weighed heavy on him. His face was strong and full of hard lines, but starved of power by the gauntness of his features and way stark-white hair framed his face. He was thin, she realized; not naturally thin, like she was, but starved of strength and muscles. The joints of his hands were swollen to a size so large Kit's own fingers twitched in sympathy.

It was hard to believe that this man was her father. Especially without mother there, laughing, loving, bringing a spark so bright it made even his faded face seem lively. But she was not here, and now it seemed to Kit as though she were looking at a stranger.

"Now," Auntie said. "He may need help. Someone to keep him company." Someone, she said, meaning not me.

"You want me too?" Kit frowned, crossed her arms and looked up at her aunt. "Why?"

"You're his daughter," her uncle said, taking her by the other shoulder. A pincer attack from both sides! "We're related to your mother. You're the only blood he has in this city. Don't you think he'll feel more comfortable with you?"

Kit turned to look at her father. She frowned, bit into her lip. She squirmed. "What do I even do?" Kit's father was a stranger to her, blood or not.

"Show him around the city," Auntie suggested.

"And let let him what you've learned! We know you can do it." Her uncle added.

Auntie patted her on the arm and pushed her forward. "Go talk to him."
Last edited by Kit Rowan on September 3rd, 2013, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on August 29th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Easier said than done, that. Kit marched in her father's direction anyway, dismissing the twisting of her stomach as nerves. Whet had taught her to be brave in front of a crowd. This was no different, right? But no, Kit realized, biting down on her lip. It was very different. This was family.

She stopped maybe four feet away. Her father looked up from his brooding and looked at her. "Hello little fox," he murmured, grabbing hold of the edge of the chair, pushing himself up and to his feet.

"Hi." Kit said, traced a circle with her left foot on the floor, her hands tucked behind her back. "Papa." She smiled. The silenced weighed heavy in the air. Kit look down fidgeted. Looked up again. "You're staying . . . ?" She bit down on her lower lip, swayed from side to side.

He winced, closed his eyes, and Kit knew that she had said the wrong thing. "Yes," he said, managing a smile anyway, letting a warped hand rest on the top of her head. "I suppose I am. I . . ." He paused, sighed. "I know so little about my daughter. What have you been doing over the last few years?"

"Training," Kit said, the hint of a smile crawling the corners of her mouth. "I'm gonna be an acrobat!"

Her father's face was blank, unreadable. "Oh."

"I stretch every day," Kit said, leaning forward. "I'm getting really good! Wanna see?" She was bouncing on her toes, now. "Wanna see?"

"Of course," little fox. Her father said, but Kit thought she saw something sad in his eyes. "Of course I do."
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on September 2nd, 2013, 10:18 pm

"Last time I tried to tumble in the house, Auntie yelled at me." Kit said, stepping back with a bounce in her step, a smile on her face. Had her father ever really seen her perform? No, she thought . . . This visit was when they'd learned she'd even tried to be an acrobat. Would he be proud of her? Kit hoped so, hoped so . . .

She led her father out of the door and into the sun. Illusion had taken the street and made it into something of a jungle, the buildings like a natural-grown wood that'd just so happened to take the shape of homes, the road paved in leaves. Kit marched out the door without a pause walked a while, looked over shoulder at her father while he stood in the doorway, looking concerned. Kit recognized the same bewildered look foreigners always had coming into Alvadas. He had not stayed long enough to trust the city. "What are you waiting for?" She asked, with a smile meant to steal any bite from the teasing.

"Coming, little fox." Her father meandered outside, holding a hand over his eyes to block out Syna's glare as he stepped into her light. "I'm coming."

Kit clasped her hands behind her back and stepped backwards, smile big on her face, crossing to the other side of the lonely road. When she looked behind her and saw the the house opposite hers a meter and change away she held up her palm toward her father, stop. Kit breathed in, out, cracked her knuckles, kicked off her shoes and danced backward. "Gotta stretch first, papa." She said. "Then I can show you."

He nodded. Said nothing.

Kit fell down into an easy split, perfectly horizontal from end to end across the ground, hands in front of her to keep her body from simply flopping forward. The old burn started as her legs began to wake up again. Kit reached for one of her toes, stretching her body across her leg and then her side woke, her legs murmuring in the half-pain half-pleasure of a stretch done well as her fingers clasped around her toes. Then she did the other the same way.

But that was only half of the muscles in her legs. She went from splits to cross-legged, lifted her right foot and tucked it behind her head the same way Darilava had taught her, years ago. Still her body whined as she reminded it of the full extent of her limits, and Kit hissed something through her teeth to ease the stress of it. Again she switched up her legs, did the same thing.

"You're very flexible, Kit." Her father said. When she looked up and saw his face, it seemed very slack. He was chewing on the outside of his lip.

"Thank you," Kit said, her voice strained. She switched from one foot to the other, held it there while her legs woke up. Kit got down with that, fell back against the ground, braced her hands against it and pushed herself to her feet. Kit made a little 'T' with her arms, pulling them closer to her body, reminding them of what they could really do as she had with her legs.

Done? Done. Kit bounced three times of the balls of her feet, her arms swinging free. She looked her father over, a spell of nervousness swelling up in her stomach. Kit swallowed, hard. He didn't look entranced, didn't look expectant; it was the same neutral expression she had seen on his face when he'd first turned to look at her. What if he was just doing what she was supposed to be doing? Humoring his daughter? "I'll show you something great," she assured him, hands clenched at her sides.

He just smiled. Was it a tired smile, or a real one? She could not trust her eyes! "Of course."

On his word, Kit moved. She threw herself back, landing on her hand and springing herself, floating through the air in an arc until she hit the ground again, poised, knees bent. She smiled, took a long, dancing walk forward that she turned into a bounce on the second step. She heard her father gasp as she spun once in the air, landed, staggered forward.

Kit looked up and saw her father had taken a step back. "Careful," he said, and the fear in his eyes told her he was not lying. She bent over, pressed her hands to the ground and kept them straight. She brought her legs up into the air, and her body swayed dangerously back and forth, back and fourth as Kit fought to keep her handstand up against the initial movement. Kit peered up at her father, grinning wide, and split her legs apart in the air, like she had on the ground, a perfect horizontal line.

"Oh Kova," he said, stepping back with darting eyes, holding his hands to his chest. They were trembling. "Be careful!"

She sensed that more spectacle would only further stress her father, but that was alright. Kit had gotten what she wanted. Curling up her legs, Kit fell out of her handstand onto all fours and stood back up, brushing her hands off on the trousers . . . Kit frowned. Kova was her mother's nickname. "Papa, did you call me Kova?"

Her father stared at her for a moment, held a hand to his head. "Little Kova," he corrected gently. "I called you little Kova . . . Have I ever told you how much you're like your mother?"

That thought brushed all concern from her mind. Like her Mom! The praise made her face flush. Kit clasped her hands behind her back and swung them back and forth, feeling her grin start to hurt around the edges. "Nooooo . . . ?" Unspoken but clear as a ray of sunlight through a thundercloud was how am I?

"You . . ." Her papa blinked, held a hand to his head for a moment before he pushed onward. ". . . You have the same exuberance." He saw the blank look in her eye. "The same . . . Excitement."

"Oooooh!" Kit leaned forward.

"You're so . . ." He grabbed at the air, trying to snare it out of the sky. "So vital. So full of life." He said, and Kit preened under his praise like a housecat. For a moment he stood there, watching her. He bit down on his bottom lip. "Would you like to come back inside, Kit? There's something I would like to talk with you about. Alone."
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on September 3rd, 2013, 3:01 pm

"Treat yourselves to something nice," Kit's father said, passing a handful of gold to her Aunt. "Take your children, too. A nice family outing for everyone." Everyone, of course, meaning everyone but Kit and her father. In spite of herself, Kit almost hoped that Auntie would offer to bring them along as well.

Aunt Summer's eyes swiveled between Kit and her father, again and again. "If you believe you'll be alright . . ." She said.

"I'm too sick to travel," Kit's father said, with what was probably meant to be a reassuring smile. "But in a safe house, in the middle of the city? I will be just fine." Kit did not think that this was so. Not really. With the way Aunt Summer was eying him, Kit doubted that she thought so.

Temptation won out against reason. "We'll be right back," Aunt Summer said, stealing the coins from Kit's father's hands as though he might rescind the offer at any moment. There was a clamor as she gathered up Uncle and their daughters, ushered them out the door into the crazed streets of Alvadas. The door slammed shut with terrible finality, leaving Kit alone with her father.

Silence like a great weight.

Her father turned around marched back toward the chain he had lounged in when she had first talked to him, turned it toward her. He sat in it with a creaaaaaak. "Could you sit down here?" He gestured to the floor. "I'm afraid they don't have another chair.

"Not here," Kit confirmed with a small voice, made shy again by the quiet. She tucked herself down, legs crossed, in front of her father.

"You know I'm a wizard," he said. Though there was no question in his voice, he waited for her to nod at him before going on. "What do you know about magic, Kit? What have you heard? Don't hold anything back for my sake. I've heard much worse."

Kit fidgeted. "I've heard it's dangerous." She said, looking down into her lap. "I've heard it can make you mad, and worse."

"It can," her father said, with clear reluctance. "If you push too far, if you do too much. But it can be done safely, by slow, careful measures. A warrior can disembowel himself on their own sword. A carpenter can smash his own hand. An . . ." He looked at her. ". . . An acrobat can crack their head."

Kit's toes curled. "So if they don't screw up," Kit said. "They don't go crazy?" It was a comfort to hear. She didn't want a crazed papa.

There was a distinct pause before he said "yes," and he was not quite lying. "Exactly like that. Kit?"

"Yeah, papa?"

"I want to give you magic."
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on September 3rd, 2013, 7:42 pm

Kit held her hands over her stomach, bit down on the inside of her lip. A finger twitched. She watched her father carefully. Auntie Summer came from Syliras, and she had her own stories about magic, about wizards and the things they did, stories where the happiest ending for the would-be-sorcerer was a hanging at the hands of the knights and all the others did something utterly terrible to their own bodies, twisted into aberrations of the gods' first intentions. She felt sick.

Her father saw this. Must have seen it! "There's a lot of whispers against magic, Kit." He steepled his hands. "A lot of shouts, too. But . . . Can you say you've never dreamed of it?" He held out his hand, murmured a word, a dot of red something the size of a thumb rose from her father's palm, floating up into the air. It ignited into a perfectly circular flame while Kit watched. "Mages are the ones that can warp the world to their liking with nothing more than will and soul."

One hell of a sales pitch. "But," Kit said, "magic, magic is dangerous. What if something goes wrong?" Kit had made a few bad falls while practicing her acrobatics, and they had hurt, put her out of commission for weeks sometimes. What could sorcery do to her? What would sorcery do to her?

"I'll be here to guide you," her father murmured. "To make sure nothing goes wrong. It will hurt a lot, at first, but it'll be over quickly and then you'll be a wizard. You can trust me." For a few chimes, Kit stared down, biting hard on her lip, giving no response. "Please, little Kova?" He said, and there was a desperate tenderness in his voice that swam past her defenses and struck the heart.

"Okay, papa." Kit said, still not meeting his eyes. He stood from his chair, knelt down and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

He put a hand on her shoulder, pushed her likely down. "I need you to be on your back, darling," he murmured. Kit let him do, stopping only as she felt her back against the wooden floor.

She stared up at the ceiling, feeling foolish. "Papa, why can't I do it sitting up?"

"Because you won't be able to stand up. I'm going to leave a small cut in your palm, alright?"

" . . . What?" Kit leaned her head up in time to see her father drawing a long knife from his belt. "Papa!" Kit's eyes widened, and she started to scurry backwards across the floor. "What are you doing?!

"I'm sorry Kit," he said, looking up. "But it's necessary." He turned his own palm toward her, and she saw a neat, faded white scar across its side, neat and precise. "I know you don't have much reason too, but please Kit . . . trust me."

Kit bit down her lip, eyes swinging from knife to scarred hand and back again. Her toes curled and uncurled, her heart was starting to pound again. What to do? What to do . . . ?

". . . Please . . ."

Kit elected to trust. She stopped, breathed, closed her eyes and laid down. She heard a soft thud as her father fell to his knees beside her, but again refused to open her eyes. Hands touched her wrist, turned her hand around. "Darling, you have to unfurl your fingers." Kit grimaced, did just that. A sharp pain across her hand, a slackening of skin. "This . . . This will hurt." Her father said. She opened one eye and looked.

He took her hand in his, the way he might have grabbed the hand of someone sick at their bedside. But her father's stare was too intense for it. He murmured a word that sounded strange and slippery to her ears. Something red and ethereal pulsed around his hand, pushed through Kit's cut. Oh it burned! Kit tried to pull away by reflex, but her father's clasped tight around hers, more red magic pouring out of him and into her. Pain climbed her arm, growing and rising in intensity while her father chanted, chanted, chanted . . . "Papa?" She asked, as the pain climbed up her body and turned from uncomfortable to terrible, "PAPA!"

Pain wracked her body as whatever black spell her father had cast on her wormed its way deeper and deeper into her core. Kit threw her head and screamed, her body thrashing as something deep and primal in her rejected the pain and more importantly rejected his probing magic. Sense and memory failed her, and coherency slipped through her fingers like water in a sieve.
Last edited by Kit Rowan on September 23rd, 2013, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on September 4th, 2013, 3:03 am

x
For a precious slip of a tick Kit's senses were her own again. She opened her eyes and saw a blurry image of her father, splitting, doubling, trickling. Something dribbled out of her open mouth and nose, something red that spiraled up and into the palm of her father's hand. "Gods above," she heard him whisper, panic in his eyes. "Please, Kova . . . Please don't be dead . . . !"

The pain eased from a terrible fire to an aching soreness. Her eyes fluttered peaceful shut, and she fell away into white nothing.

Something soft pressed against her back, something warm draped across her body, a terrible aching. Kit stirred, peeked open her eyes and saw leth's soft, half-light through her window, painting a beautiful white-blewrectangle across her bed. She winced, threw off her sheets and stood up, on unsteady feet that swayed too and fro. Her whole body hurt, not just Kit was used too. Kit clapped her hands over her body, felt the pain of touching wounds but when she lifted her clothes to examine it Kit found bruises all over, splotches of brown and purple across her skin gained through her flailing and the probing of her father's magic, and . . .

There was a white bandage, stained with red along her palm, tied tight around her left hand. Kit slowly unwound the bandage, revealed a long horizontal cut across her palm that still bled as though it were fresh. A chill ran through Kit's body, enough to make her shiver head to toe. Kit rewrapped the bandage as best she could, which was not very neat and not very tight, and wandered down the stairs.

Auntie was, surprise surprise, sitting in her chair, knitting. Uncle was out doing Trickster knew what. But Kit saw her father standing in front of the stairs. it winced back, just seeing him. "I told you it would hurt," he said. A pause, a concern flaring up in his eyes. "Are you doing alright?"

Kit brushed off her trousers. "I am not alright!" She said, trying to clench her hands into fists and grimacing when it only cause her pain. "What did . . ."

"It's called reimancy." Her father said, his voice clipped. His fingers danced in nervousness across his sides. "Reimancers make res, and we can turn it into any of the four elements. Fire, earth, air and water, all four. A reimancer is a master of these elements, and everything that comes between them."

Res? That reddish, fluid pain had a name? "You didn't do a damn thing with 'elements!'" She hissed.

"That's right," he said. "I just made you a reimancer."

Kit stared.

"There's only one way to teach reimancy to someone who can't already use it," her father said. "Res must be pushed into the body, deeply enough that the soul remembers the shape of res. So deep that it can begin to make it on its own."

"No. No! This is mad!"

Her father pointed his palm toward the sky. A thin ball of res lifted from his hand and floated there. "It's not difficult," he said. "Controlling it is the hard part, but you don't want to control it yet, do you? Do you want to see what your res looks like, little Kova? Hold out your hand . . ."

Nonsense, was what this was! Nonsense! Kit rolled her eyes and held out her hand.

"Will it," her father said, and Kit willed it. There was pressure in her hand, like something was trying to force its way out of her skin from the inside. Something ethereal and green leaked from under her bandage, flowed slowly and cascaded over the edge of her hand like a little waterfall, dissolving into nothing before it could fall over a foot. But that was not what took her breath away.

It was like drinking a handful of fresh water when your throat had never known moisture, it was a pleasure that rang through the whole of her body, left her hands trembling and her eyes big.

"You have to believe. I only meant the best. Your mother has left you . . . so much," Kit's father said. "This will be my first gift to you. It's magic, Kit. For the rest of your life. Isn't that worth a little bit of pain?"

Kit stopped the stem of res. Closed her hand into a fist. She wasn't sure anymore. ". . . I guess?"

"If you're feeling up to it," her father said, his voice soft, understanding, comforting. "There are some tests we need to do. We need to find out what your element is together. How does that sound?"

"I . . ." Was this what fathers were supposed to do? Was this what daughters were supposed to do? Kit stared at him for a long moment, trying to sort out everything in her head. ". . .Okay."
x
Last edited by Kit Rowan on September 5th, 2013, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Kit Rowan on September 5th, 2013, 12:02 am

x
"How are your bruises?" Her father asked, placing a hand on her arm as they walked back inside together. Kit peered up at his sunken face, her body curled up and small. There was . . . compassion in his voice, sympathy in his expression.

Was she supposed to hate this man, for hurting her? Was she supposed to loving him, for caring that she hurt? Her and skimmed over her body in search, winced as she discovered one of many deep bruises. She would not be tumbling for a while; not like this, not while her hand bled and her body lay tenderized like a piece of meat. What stretches would she need to do come nighttime to make certain she remained agile, what exercises to be certain stayed strong? When the solution wasn't simply 'walk into the streets and tumble' maintaining herself got complicated. "I'm keen," she said. "I'm keen."

This time he escorted her, taking careful hold of her, one arm draped around her shoulders, holding her lovingly close. And he fussed! "Are you up for it?" He asked, leading her to the chair he'd occupied not so long before, setting her down. "Is this comfortable?"

A smile crept over her face, her earlier anger fading away. "I'm alright, papa." She said, folding her hands into her lap. He stood up straight, a looming, protective presence over her. "You don't have to worry." She felt a nervous warmth in her belly. This was what fathers were supposed to do, Kit thought. It felt right.

He laid a hand on her head, tousled her hair. "Do you think you're ready?"

"Yeah."

He knelt down, let his hands rest on his knees. "To do magic, wizards need focus. We need focus." His tongue relished the sound of 'we.' How long since he had talked to someone about this? Seasons? Years? "I need to tell you this now, so you'll know, and never hurt yourself. In stories, what does a wizard need to do to cast a spell?"

Kit tapped her foot on the floor, stared up in the ceiling, her eyes frowning in thought. "I saw a musical at the playhouse," she said. "Where every spell was part of the song of a god's truest name."

"Nonsense," he waved away the idea like he might a buzzing fly. "But they're almost right, in ways they don't know. Forming the will to make magic happen is hard," he said. "So wizards invented something to help them. Incantations we can repeat with every spell, until it wears so deep in our minds that in saying the word we remember how to cast. It doesn't matter what the words are; our mind and souls remember what it means from practice."

Kit remembered her father's muttering while he his res. Set it alight. Drove it into her hand. She shivered. "So . . . I gotta sing?"

Her father looked at her. "No," he said. "But . . ." Her father sighed, turned his eyes down. "Kit. Would you rather read a book, or play in the sun?"

"Play," Kit said, no hesitation. Her father winced away. Was that the wrong answer?

"Incantations work best for wizards who think in academic terms." He said, "But, the physically inclined prefer gestures to shape their spellwork."

Kit squirmed a little, tangled her fingers together. "Um . . ."

". . . They move their hands instead of talk." Her father said, lifted his and waved them in front of him. "To help make things happen. I think that would be better for you."

Kit's face brightened in understanding. "Keen."

He looked at home, Kit thought, for the first time since he'd been left in Alvadas on his own. The way his hands moved, the eyes his eyes lit up . . . She hadn't seen him so satisfied since . . . Well, since he was with mother. He looked alive, finally engaged with his passions. Was this what a daughter was supposed to do? Make him happy? "Little Kova, could you try to do a bit of reimancy for me? Not too much, just enough to find out what your affinity is."

Of course Kit agreed. She held up her hand again, closed her eyes, breathed. A force of will, a pressure in her hand, a pleasure shooting electric up her arm. She peeked out of one eye, saw the cascade resume again. "Keep your eyes closed, please."

"Hold your hands together, like . . . like you're holding water." Kit cupped her hands, tried to lock the little gaps between her fingers shut, feeling foolish. "I want you to imagine that the res is the water there."

Kit furrowed her brow. "Papa?"

"Focus and think on it," she heard, and caught anticipation in her father's voice, sharp and urgent. "Let it fill up your mind. Leave room for nothing else." She closed her eyes tighter, pictured the basin, pictured water sloshing into her hands, changed it from water to the ethereal green fluid of her res. There was a prickly feeling in her hands.

Kit's patience waned fast. "Papa," she said. "This is stupid."

"Really?" His voice asked, and Kit didn't care much for the smugness of his town. "Open your eyes."

In front of her she saw her res pooled in her hands. Her focus wavered at the shock of it, and immediately its shape began to fall apart. "Kit!" Her father called, suddenly, sharp, and she solidified the trembling res where it floated. "Step away from it. But not too far."

Kit got up, holding her hand toward the res, hoping desperately that it would stay in place . . . perhaps it WAS her hope that kept it afloat? She stepped sideways once, twice . . . the res, thin, and feeble already, shook and tried to break apart. Far enough? It would have to be either way.

"Res is power in a state of transition." Her father said. "It wants to change. Close your fist, Kit, and finish it." And Kit closed her fist. Still nothing happened. What did her father want? What was she supposed to do?! She bit her lip. Was she going to fail here? Right now, in front of her papa? Her hand began to shake and something like blood gathered in the back of her throat and . . .pop!

The res was gone with a soft, sharp sound that prickled at the insides of Kit's ears. Nothing at all had happened. She lowered her arm, her shoulders falling sadly downward when her father said "That's it!" He grabbed her, knelt down and kiss her where her hair parted. "Well done!" Kit felt her hackles begin to rise. Was he making fun of her? "That's enough for today, your body has been through enough without anything more. Avoid doing anything for the next few times, give your djed time—"

"—Shut UP!" Kit found herself shouting at the top of her lungs, fists clenched so tight blood leaked from her hand, drip-drop, drip-dropped on the floor beside her. She felt the pain, but for an instant it didn't mean anything. "What just happened?!"

He stared at her, clearly spooked. "A—a—a little agitation is not uncommon, when ones djed is drawn on before one is used to it. With tim—"

Stalling—commanding you—he think he is—teach him—make him. Went the murmurs in her head, and she stomped her foot down on the floor and snarled; "WHAT! HAPPENED!?"

"Wind." He said, raising his hands, staring down at her like he might a startled animal. "Your element is wind." Kit took a deep, measured breathe, shook her head. "You're damaging your hand."

Kit blinked, opened her palm and muttered a curse, raised the wound to her face and began licking at it. It stung. "You are very young, Little Kova." Her father said. "Very small, and very new. Your djed needs time to adjust to what it can do."

Kit looked up and narrowed her eyes, all irritation and suspicion. "Djed?"

He opened his mouth, ready to move into another rant before reconsidering, snapping it shut with a sharp click. "Another night, Kit. Are you tired? Would you like to go to bed? You'll feel better in the morning."

Her father took hold of her shoulder. His touch was firm. Gentle. Something of her earlier warmth found its way to her face. "I am kinda tired. Papa?" Her smile was lazy and wicked. "Carry me."

The joints of his fingers were huge and swollen from whatever sickness had taken them, and they twitched in anticipation of pain. Kit saw, but in that moment she did not care. He smiled a tight smile. "Of course," he said. She turned around and fell into his arms and he grunted under her weight. He lifted her up, cradled her in his arms, kissed her on the forehead.

This was what a father was supposed to be. How often had she seen Auntie and Uncle carry their little children to bed? So many times, though they had been by far younger and by far smaller. Her father was carrying her to bed! Carry me—good—right—true—love you—love me. Kit closed her eyes, sighed a pleasant little sigh.

And step by painful step, Kit's father began the slow climb up the stairs to her room.

x
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Oh Daughter Mine

Postby Elysium on November 29th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Kit Rowan

Experience
Acrobatics +3
Reimancy +2
Persuasion +1
Rhetoric +2

Lore
Lore of Self: Father, Why?
Acrobatics: Split
Acrobatics: Back Handspring
Acrobatics: Handstand Split
Reimancy: The Initiation
Reimancy: Res
How to Use Incantations

Notes
Once again, a beautiful thread. Lots of lore and you earned a decent bit of experience, to boot! If you have any questions, let me know.

Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)