Completed [Bronze Woods]Long Time, Lets Fight IV

Sei convices Roderick to spar with him again. Only, the hand-to-hand kind. Part 4

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[Bronze Woods]Long Time, Lets Fight IV

Postby Sei Tendo on August 29th, 2013, 11:50 am

Sei Tendo
50th of Summer, 513AV

Sei broke from his trance. Looking around he realized he was in the broonze woods, and he couldn't help but notice the silence. Roderick wasn't here yet. He had gotten there to early, and now the only thing welcoming him was the silence. He raised the longbow and drew the bowstring back with an arrow. He gave a loud groan and guided his aim with his index finger. He let the arrow fly through the trees, and it eventually thudded into the bark of the tree he had aimed for. It was a nice shot, but it still hadn't hit the center of the tree. He walked up to the tree and removed the arrow, lifting it from the bark he stashed it in his quiver.

He then looked around around slowly. He leaned against the tree and closed his eyes, wanting to do more, but decided to save his arrows. "Hurry up Roderick.." He muttered.
Last edited by Sei Tendo on September 6th, 2013, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Words: 228595
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

[Bronze Woods]Long Time, Lets Fight VI

Postby Roderick on August 29th, 2013, 7:53 pm

"Blasted target..." Roderick muttered as he adjusted his grip on the rope of the sled. Bringing the target all the way out of the city had proven a difficult task, and given he couldn't carry the thing all too well on his own, spending some extra coin to get a hold of the sled had proven a worthwhile investment; it would come in handy for any future kills he had to bring back into the city after a good hunt.

He paused to catch his breath and allow the muscles in his arms to relax a little. Gulping down air during the stop, he forcefully slowed himself down so that his breathing was reasonably normal, then took hold of the sled again and began dragging it once more towards where the Kelvic would be waiting for him. When he finally got there he was grateful, pausing long enough on the outskirts of the clearing to calm his breath before continuing inside, offering Sei a nod before returning to hefting the target across the ground in the sled. When he had reached the center he dropped the rope and walked over to the sled.

Wrapping his hands about the bale of hay, he took a deep breath as he lifted the thing up in his arms, wavering under the weight for a moment before he regained his balance, "Come help me with this thing," he called over his shoulder at Sei. He was already a little winded from the journey out here, so the last thing he needed was the aches and pains that came from heaving around a big bundle of hay. Roderick set it down on the ground and rolled his shoulders, groaning in both pain and pleasure at the feeling of the aches in the muscles as he relieved some of the pent-up stress; "Next time we come out here," he told the Kelvic, "You're helping me lug this thing around." he leaned himself against it as he calmed his breathing further into normalcy.

CostsSled, 20 gm
Last edited by Roderick on August 30th, 2013, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Words: 294797
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 30th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Sei Tendo

Sei could hear something heavy drag against the dirt of the woods, and he could hear the sound of hay wiggling around. He opened his right eye, only to find Roderick pulling a sled with hay and a target on top. He grinned smugly, and listened to Roderick as he spoke. "Well, you did insist on taking the money." He said, pushing off the tree with both eyes open. He took the sled and helped Roderick haul it over to a clear area. "I'll help you next time, sure, but don't get happy." He said smugly.

He turned to Roderick, and spoke. "How do we use it?" He asked. He lifted the longbow and drew back the bowstring with an arrow. He called for Roderick to move and launched it at the target. He hadn't struck the center, but it had hit the target, and that was good enough for him. He walked back an removed the arrow, and placed it back in his quiver. He nodded to Roderick and rembered his question. "Did I use it right?" He asked.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on August 30th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Sei opened one eye and grinned smugly, "Well, you did insist on taking the money." he pushed away from the tree and came over to help Roderick haul the target over to a clear area. "I'll help you next time, sure, but don't get happy."

He turned to Roderick, and spoke. "How do we use it?" Sei lifted his longbow and drew back the bowstring with an arrow. He called for Roderick and the hunter quickly backed away as the Kelvic launched the arrow at the target.
It struck the target, which was good, but it was all the way on the outer rim of the thing; it would be a while before Sei would be hitting it halfway to the center, but the Kelvic had been learning fast, so Roderick didn't doubt he would be competent with the thing come the end of the year. Sei approached the target and withdrew his arrow, returning it to his quiver, then nodded to Roderick, "Did I use it right?"

"Not much else you can do to the thing," Roderick said simply, "Unless you planned on dancing around on top of it?" he brought his own longbow out and notched an arrow to the string. There was no particular plan for what he would teach the Kelvic that day; he would simply have to watch Sei at his archery and correct him as best he could.

"You seem to know all the basics. Start shooting at the target to improve your accuracy; if you can't hit anything you're of no good to anyone."
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

If there is ever a time when I don't post within a thread - or create one - within a few days, send me a PM; the chances are I may have accidentally forgotten.
Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on August 31st, 2013, 5:47 pm

Sei Tendo

Sei gave Roderick "The Glare" and walked away. He lifted his longbow in line with his shoulder, and drew back the bowstring with an arrow. He used his index finger to guide his aim, and launched the arrow at the target after taking a deep breath. The arrow hit the center of the target and he stood gawking at the sight. "YES!!" He exclaimed, beaming with excitement. He walked to Roderick and gave him a smug look. "What took you a lifetime took me two days." He laughed it off and spoke. "Just kidding. Let's see if I can do it again." He said, taking aim and launching an arrow after collecting the other. It landed inches away from the center and Sei cheered.

"Your going to try it to?"
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on September 2nd, 2013, 7:13 am

Sei gave a particularly fierce glare before stomping off. While he raised the longbow to loose Roderick stashed his things beneath a tree and took hold of his own longbow. With the string at his cheek, Sei aimed at the target and then loosed. The arrow struck surprisingly close to the inner circle. Roderick blinked and pinched himself to make sure he was awake.

"YES!!" the Kelvic's shout nearly made Roderick's ears bleed. Making sure to smile smugly as he came over, the Kelvic said, "What took you a lifetime took me two days," Sei laughed then spoke again, "Just kidding. Let's see if I can do it again." the Kelvic turned about and collected his arrow from the target, then notched, drew and loosed it again at the target. The arrow struck a ways off from the one before, but it was still close.

"You're going to try it too?" the Kelvic asked.
Ignoring the question, Roderick spoke instead, "Stop jerking your hand when you loose - it's making the arrow veer up to the left," the hunter moved forward and took Sei's arm, holding it up with the longbow pointed at the target, "You want a firm grip on the bow - but not too tight." he stepped away, "Let go of the string without moving your hand and keep your arm up until the arrow lands."

Backing away with his own longbow, Roderick took aim and loosed at the target, jerking his hand deliberately so the arrow veered off and landed in the outermost ring of the target. Notching a second arrow, he kept his hand still this time and moved only his fingers; the arrow landed an inch or two within the inner ring.
Lucky shot.
OOCOnly reason I could think of for Sei's arrow going near the center. Have him keep his aim straight so the arrow strikes somewhere within the second ring. Might seem like his accuracy is worse, but it's actually better because he would only have been hitting the inner ring because he was jerking the arrow off in that direction.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on September 2nd, 2013, 4:39 pm

Sei Tendo

Sei turned to the target as Roderick directed him in the right direction. Roderick lifted his arm, and told him to get a firm grip, but not to firm on the bow. He followed Rodericks' instructions, and aimed his bow for the target. He launched the arrow and stood his ground, making sure to keep the arrow firm as well, and watched as it thudded into the targets third ring. "SHYKE IT ALL" He exclaimed. He ran over to the target and examined the arrows position. There was only one explaination however, and he knew what it was. "Your teaching Sucks!" He called back to Roderick, removing the arrow, and running back.

He gave Roderick a smack on the back, and lifted his arrow. He hadn't used his index finger to guide his aim, and so he figured that might have been the problem. He pushed his thoughts to the side and concentrated on the target. He drew back the bowstring, with a firm grip, and once again launched the arrow through the trees. He watched as the arrow zipped past trees and branches, and frowned when it landed on the ground in front of the tree.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on September 6th, 2013, 9:13 pm

"SHYKE IT ALL" the Kelvic's shouting was getting worse. Sei rounded on his teacher, "Your teaching Sucks!" he shouted, as he made his way back with his arrow.

The slap he gave Roderick would have raised a red hand print on his flesh if not for the leather armour he wore; regardless of the protection it afforded he felt himself being rocked forward on his feet. Steadying himself, he watched as Sei notched, drew and loosed at the target again, watching the arrow plummet downward and embed itself into the ground a few feet from the target.

"Let's start you off a little closer to the target," Roderick said to the Kelvic, walking forwards. The distance he'd set out hadn't seemed particularly great, but then he was used to standing that far away; teaching the Kelvic the basics when they were a few feet from the target seemed the best course.

He stopped them a few strides from the target; in hindsight the distance they'd been at before had been fairly considerable. At their new distance the Kelvic would have an easier time hitting the target. He retrieved all the arrows left in the bale of hay and then stepped away from it, returning to the Kelvic's side.
"Notch," he ordered.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sei Tendo on September 6th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Sei Tendo

Roderick intructed him, and put his a few feet away from the target, and ordered him to fire. "I can handle myself petch it!" He barked, taking a few stepps back. He was fustrated, and purely upset that his earlier shot had been a fluke. He notched back the bowstring, and launched the arrow, positive he could hit it from such a short distance. He jerked his hand at the release of the arrow, and it landed directly in the farthest ring from the center. He didn't bother to remove the previous arrow, he went straight to the next, and his eyes filled with rage. His face was filled with rage, and he pulled back the arrow and launched three in a row. He stared blankly at the target, his eyes more furious than before. One arrow hit the hay, the second was stuck in the ground, and the third was in the fourth ring. He collected the arrows and stomped back to his spot. He was clearly not in the mood.
Sei Tendo
Rending White Tiger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Roderick on September 6th, 2013, 11:00 pm

"I can handle myself petch it!" Sei barked at Roderick, notching and loosing an arrow wildly at the target. Jerking his hand as he did it, the arrow couldn't have landed further from the center. Without walking over to collect the previous one he notched another arrow and loosed it, missing the center again. The third struck hay, the fourth burrowed into the ground, and the fifth landed in the outermost circle.

Roderick slung his longbow about his chest as Sei marched over to the target and tore his arrows free, then turned about and made his way back over to where he had begun, kicking up small swirls of dust as he went.
"You'll never make it as an archer if you let every missed shot get to you." Roderick told the Kelvic, "When you loose keep your hand still and let go of your grip on the shaft. And you hold your feet too far apart; move them closer together - they should be in line with your shoulders." the hunter had come to recognize the scowls and glares the Kelvic was fond of making; if things continued this way Sei would hurl his bow off into the undergrowth and stomp his way back to the city.

Walking around the Kelvic with one hand on his shoulder, he said, "If you want to hit the center, you need to practice. When you practice, you can miss. Accept that or you'll scream yourself hoarse," he took his hand away and stepped back quietly, "Now try again, Sei," he urged gently.
Thoughts
"Speech"
Standard text

Roderick
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next