[Undeniable Interests] Intentions like torn pages (Callisto)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jilitse on July 28th, 2010, 6:32 am

Intentions like torn pages
37th of Summer 510 AV
The Undeniable Interests
The missing page was lost and found

Jilitse had the desire to search for "magic items" with the quotation marks in the bazaar, but found it better to head over The Undeniable Interests shop in the afternoon. The only thing closest to a bookstore that Syliras had, the nuit had gathered information that the shop sells "much much more", the quotation marks emphasizing something valuable, sacred, or forbidden.

The nuit knocked at the door and let herself inside. It wasn't her first time visiting the shop, granted, if she met the owner, he might even recognize her if she gave enough clues. She knew that the filth was appalling, and she remembered to be fully cloaked before visiting. The nuit was obsessed with keeping herself clean. It was for convenience, of course, since the cleaner a nuit's body was, the longer it would take before it would decompose. She sauntered to the shelves and examined the strange apparatuses, recognizing a few thingamajiggers and inspecting apparatuses. There was no semblance of order in the room, none that she could make out. Books on herbalism were right next to storybooks and other fictional topics Jilitse would care less for. The whole shop looked worse than the most decrepit hole in Sahova, and there wasn't any attendant around.

She moved around, looking, looking, looking, an arm covering half her face. It's as if she was really scared of the dust and grime. "Still, untidy as ever," barely audible. Slowly, she walked around a little bit more, eyeing the goods, or rather, the heaps of goods. It was then that Dominac Ariva appeared, old and wrinkled.

"Anything undeniably interesting that you would recommend?" She smiled, if only faintly.

The nuit expanded her question, "I think I'm looking for something really basic. Common knowledge for humans, but not so much for nuits like me. Maybe a book on the History of Syliras?" She had a feeling Dominac might have known that she was particularly interested in many unusual things, if not to buy, then at least to peruse or inquire.

"You know what," throwing away their conversation, "I think what I need is a fairytale book for a child. Do you have anything like that?"

While it seemed like she kept on changing the interest of her inquiry, Jilitse was far from undecided. She was simply testing how much have been added since her last visit. She was quite the annoying customer back then, requesting for an uncommon book, a particular book on the most obsolete of topics, a little something for kids, erotica for adults, second-hand originals and then turning it down. She was doing the same again with Dominac, she wondered if he could remember. It did seem like she was fooling around, but when she stopped making Dominac think to and fro searching for books with whimsical names and titles, she commented with the best patronizing tone she could, that Undeniable Interests was still, undeniably interesting as ever.

The question then was, what brought the nuit into the shop if she did not have an intention to buy anything?

OOCThis was supposed to be a thread with me and John Vicari, but due to his absence, I have passed the baton to Callisto. I placed Dominac around in order to keep what I originally wrote in place, other than that, Callisto and I won't need him. (It just feels odd for the shop to be empty)
Last edited by Jilitse on August 18th, 2010, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Callisto on August 4th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Syliras was the first stop in Callisto’s trek to the various locations and lands of Mizahar. It hadn’t been completely bothersome, the journey, for she had made some acquaintances on the way, and had some sample dabbling in different aspects of a mortal life in general. When she had arrived in the city, there was one motive for her presence there, and that was knowledge. She had swept through the streets for a good part of the week in the hopes that she would find a library or a building that housed hidden magicians or map-makers. But to her disappointment, she received nothing for her efforts.

The familiar sun was a comforting sight overhead, but her tall stature and vibrantly shimmering skin was beginning to become a disadvantage in the long run. Children were constantly touching her, dancing around her like pests that weren’t easily swept aside, but her natural ability to simply ignore them came into affect quite quickly. Her citrine eyes roamed the stalls that lined the bazaar, until she stopped to ask a merchant in general where the location of a book shop was.

She muttered a simple, “Thank you,” at the man after he had pointed to the shop dubbed “Undeniable Interests,” a fitting name or one that would add to the disappointment that already clouded her judgment.

Stepping through the dusty doorway, Callisto paused. The area seemed caked with a layer of dust, or perhaps that was the owner’s intention? Either way, the Ethaefal seemed completely out of place with her shifting hues and divine appearance. As if she suddenly appeared from the neverending story, ready for adventure and simply there not for anything relevant but just to spice up the atmosphere.

Calliso took it upon herself to search the shelves and the incredibly narrow isles, careful not to touch anything that would leave her immaculate appearance less….immaculate. She was just about to call for the shop owner when the voice of a woman spoke before her. She seemed undecided at the very least, a curious one, and the Ethaefal watched as Dominac bustled to and fro along his shop to answer his customer’s questions.

Callisto decided she would leave them to their silly whims and rummage through the line of books and apparatuses that were stacked and shoved beside each other, prodding and shoving what she could, occasionally wiping her dust-covered finger on the belt she wore around her waist. This little excursion to the city was becoming a bother.
Just going to stand there and watch me burn,
but that's all right because I like the way it hurts...
Callisto
Boobs

Words: 62853
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2010, 9:36 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Jilitse on August 6th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Jilitse realized that she was no longer alone, and took a glance at the new visitor. It was not her first time to see an Ethaefal, but this was probably her first chance to interact with one. She eyed her shimmery red hair curiously.

"Please excuse me," she whispered to Dominac.

Trailing behind Callisto, the Nuit did not attempt to hide her intention of talking with the Ethaefal. But she was wary, and unsure of how to start the conversation. From afar, she tried to see the books that took the interest of the other being. She did not seem to have any reservations with any of the filth blanketing everything in the shop, too.

Jil found her eyes interesting. Would she get the chance to see a creature like her transform into something else entirely? She waited. And then waited some more. Finally, the desire to know was too much to fight.

"Excuse me, are you..." a short undecided pause, as if she could have been mistaken... surely this wasn't a human in costume? "...an Ethaefal?"

The question did not exactly leave for any conversation, so she continued, "My name is Jilitse, and I am a Nuit." She sounded proud of it. Callisto did not seem the kind who would attack her, she guessed. Not in this place, and perhaps Dominac will not let any untoward incident happen inside his shop. It would be bad for business and reputation.

At the first sign of congeniality, the Nuit continued her query. "What brings you around here?" Oh, could she touch the horns and take a sample? Will it grow back? "Are you looking for any book in particular?" After the previous question barrage directed at Dominac, Jilitse, with her Nuit memory, could probably recall the book, any book, Callisto might be looking for. "Or are you looking for other stuff and trinkets?"

Now, to decide what question to lure the Ethaefal to submit to her company so she could conduct a proper interview...
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Callisto on August 7th, 2010, 2:22 am

Callisto’s finger trailed lightly above the dust-coated books. Searching, searching, and finding nothing of note at the moment. She figured she’d try the alphabetical section for books on Astronomy and maps, but instead she found titles such as, “Waterproofing your Child“, “Nasal Maintenance” and “Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself.” Hardly tempting to read, and simply a waste of time for an Ethaefal who was hellbent on her information.

She sighed dramatically then turned to head out the door, only to have the woman she had heard earlier appear right in front of her and utter a question that nearly made Callisto quirk a brow. Normally she didn’t take notice of people who hadn’t caught her attention, but here was a curious and bold one, approaching her so casually!

“Yes, I’m an Ethaefal.” Callisto looked rather confused when she introduced herself, as well as revealed what she was. “Oh, is that a subrace of humans? I don’t know what a nuit is.” It’s true, she’d never met one, nor heard of them in her short existence on Mizahar. Curious, Callisto eyed her from head to toe, taking in her lovely clothes and hair, and scrutinizing her face. There was nothing different she could discern! “My name is Callisto.” She added as an afterthought.

At the mention of books, Callisto turned her head to glance at the shelves aligned with the array of literature and apparatuses. “Actually, I was looking for books on the Ukalas, or…” She paused, unsure of her response to magic, but she would try either way, “Projection. Constellations, coordinates, anything in the like. It’s for research you could say. And if you could help me, that would be wonderful.”

For the Ethaefal, it was amazing that she seemed so sociable and open with Jilitse. She’d rarely made much conversation, as humans were constantly intimidated by her appearance (aside from children). In the end, however, this meeting could prove advantageous in the long run.
Last edited by Callisto on August 11th, 2010, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callisto
Boobs

Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Jilitse on August 8th, 2010, 4:39 am

"A Nuit is a creature created from a ritual called the Daek-Nuit," Jil explained, "We are reanimated corpses and are hardly human." Most curious, an Ethaefal who have not seen Nuits, nor know of them.

"Callisto." She repeated the name slowly, "I believe Dominac has all the books you'll ever need. Are you looking for basic reading material, or something advanced?" Jilitse's body was considered tall for a woman, but the Ethaefal was still a few inches higher. She craned her head slightly upward to meet Callisto's lovely eyes. Her static gaze was absorbed in their intense color. "His shop is," noticing Callisto's patient browsing earlier, "Arranged and ordered differently, you see." She went around Callisto, remembering exactly where Dominac had placed a book on Projection. It's such a boon for the Nuit to have such lucid memories. Jilitse showed this to the Ethaefal, "This costs 25 gm, as he told me earlier. It is very basic, but if you ask me, it is still far better to learn from a master."

"You are interested in the Ukalas? Forgive me my tongue but this is the first time I have talked to a person of your race, and I am truly curious. Would it be too much if I ask that you talk about yourself? Who are the deities of the Ethaefals?" Like humans, this race must also have their own faith.

"I am deeply sorry for troubling you in the middle of your browsing."
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Callisto on August 11th, 2010, 10:53 pm

“Fascinating,” There was no sarcasm there. She was undeniably curious, what she’d hoped would happen when stepping into the “Undeniable Interests”. “For a corpse, you look far more graceful than any average human I’ve met.”

The Nuit proved to be far more useful than anyone she’d met thus far in the city. Callisto was pleased, and it showed by the smile she displayed as Jilitse moved past her and around the bookshelves like a dolphin navigating the sea. She knew the place spot on, and she wondered if the woman didn’t actually work here. “I was looking for something advanced. A basic book for 25gm sounds a bit overpriced. You’re right, I suppose I should go find myself a master.” A sigh. Like hell she would ever find one in this god-forsaken city.

Jilitse’ next set of comments caught the Ethaefal off guard. She looked surprised that someone would be so interested in her race, but what could it hurt to tell? She wasn’t a very secretive person, it’s just that no one has truly ever come up to her and asked. “Yes, the Ukalas… My destination. It’s fine, I could spare some of my time to talk to you about myself and my people.”

She glanced out the door, then look back at the Nuit. “Do you mind if we step outside? It’s more comfortable.” Callisto began to move, whether Jilitse agreed or not, and once she was out, she noticed the sun was on it’s way towards the horizon. It would be sunset soon, what a bother.

She began to speak, although her eyes roamed the sky rather than stay fixed on the woman she spoke to. “The deities of the Ethaefal vary depending on who they are children of. I’m a daughter of Syna, whereas there are brothers and sisters who are sons and daughters of Leth. Our colors are quite different in that aspect.”
Callisto
Boobs

Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Jilitse on August 20th, 2010, 12:02 am

Jilitse has sneaked behind Callisto, intently observing her body parts, taking in her appearance without a blink. This was one of the few times she had seen an Ethaefal up close--one who agreed to a conversation. It was a great opportunity to learn, and the Nuit had been very interested in the Pulsers' society in general that she could not help but to ask questions when she could.

And of course, there was her mission to kill Sagallius. It was shooting the stars, and the first thing she thought she should do was to study the people of Mizahar - at least those that she could reach and explore. There was a lot to learn from the living, after all, they have spawned generations that continue to survive the world. And, the important thing was that they held knowledge that a Nuit who lived cloistered in Sahova did not.

Not that Jilitse was very enthusiastic with this great opportunity to learn, at times she became uncomfortable talking about herself, and it was getting harder and harder to lie or to go around the truth. Most humans found her condition too much to take in, and they were usually uninterested with her, thinking Nuits are either mad or dangerous. As such, not all humans really provided her the information she needed, and some of them who bothered to talk to her merely wasted her time. What if Sagallius caught wind of her planned rebellion? Knowing the god, he'd probably think she wasn't too much of a threat. Yet. But, at what pace was Drainira carrying her plan? Should Jilitse hurry, or should she take her time? The success was highly dependent on her strength rather than speed, and Jilitse knew she must prepare. She lacked experience under her belt, and her knowledge was incompetent -- all she had was a purpose, a goal she must achieve.

Drainira and Sagallius knew a lot of things that she did not. That was the first inadequacy that she needed to fill. Priskil was an enemy of Sagallius, and her followers continuously work towards the god's demise. That was her second source of power. There were a lot of individuals that are webbed into the conflict, their past lives weaved into the struggle of Priskil, Aquiras, and Sagallius. She needed to find these people, especially the ones who are not on Sagallius' side. Maybe this Ethaefal was one. If not, maybe she could do something to pull her into it.

"It then seems to me that we are both limited in our knowledge with each other's race. If you are willing, I would like to take this opportunity to know you better," Jilitse said, monotonous voice carrying a tinge of anticipation.

She followed the Ethaefal outside, glancing back to Dominac who was now slipping back into his room, waving a hand of dismissal. Shopping for books, Jil can do another time. "Ethaefals of Syna and Leth," Jilitse repeated, "You're considered their children." She then asked, "Different colors? What exactly did you mean by that?"

Oh, let this conversation be a meaningful one.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Callisto on August 23rd, 2010, 3:54 am

In her short existence, this had truly been the first encounter where one had genuinely wished to learn more about her and her kin. Rarely had she acknowledged anyone outside those Callisto found truly interesting, but this woman was no mortal. Essentially, if she hypothesized correctly, Jilitse could either continue reanimating bodies and assume an unending life or she simply held a spell which sustained her current body. She was, perhaps, immortal, (too a certain extent) just as Callisto herself was, although the Ethaefal still knew that she, herself, was susceptible to the elements and diseases, as well as the brutality that is the man-made creations dubbed the blade. Whether the same could be said for the nuit was questionable, but soon she wished to find out.

Standing outside wasn’t nearly as satisfactory as Callisto had supposed but it was the fresh air she ultimately required. The rays of warm light that traveled through the air and caught the Ethaefal’s skin was what calmed her the most, but soon the light would fall beyond the horizon, and her body would transform.

She tried not to think about this, but the bitterness was clear in her voice. “In life we devote our very beings to our goddess and god. I love Syna with my heart and my soul, and I had a place with her in the Ukalas.” There were flashes! Distant but there, converging and forming clearly in her mind:

Rays of sunlight, flashes of bright, blinding colors in an array of yellows orange and reds. It was beautiful, the bodies of her kin, glimmering and shimmering under the rays and her Goddess’ hair flowing and ever glowing. What was there to fear? Nothing! Not until that slip… That one simple slip…

And then it seemed to be gone. Vanished, just as the glimmer in her eyes had diminished at the painful memory. She could not access it again! There was only blur and darkness, and in the end it pained her! The ache in her soul was unbearable, but her expression remained complacent. She turned her citrine eyes on Jilitse. The heavy bearings of one who has seen and heard many things. “The children of Syna look identical to me. Although there are variations in our horns and our hair and eyes. We glow like our Mother, golds and coppers, and we are deeply proud to belong to her.” She paused, a charming smile gracing her lips as she turned back toward the collapsing sun. “The children of Leth have beautiful opalescent skin. They were made in the image of Father, hair that can become the deepest of black or the lightest silver and horns that also reflect the stark contrast of hues in the moon and the sky itself.”

Callisto continued, “We don’t eat while we stay in this form. Syna feeds us, through her light, we thrive.” She glanced at Jilitse, "What about you? You say you are reanimated corpses. Are you lost souls traveling from body to body?"
Callisto
Boobs

Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Jilitse on August 25th, 2010, 1:51 am

'She loved Syna will all her heart and soul' - the soul Jilitse could understand, the heart not so much. Her physical heart was long gone from her body, and emotions have long expired. So, she asked herself, how can a dead heart beat? How could she love, and love something with all her heart and soul? The Ethaefal had given her a lot to think about. Although she could not quite grasped the idea of it, the Nuit remembered her words and decided to think it over next time.

She listened as Callisto described her kind and differentiated the children of Syna with the children of Leth. And marveled at the way Ethaefals do not need any sustenance in their form... wait. Callisto said while she was in her current form? Is there some weird morphing technique she did not know about? Jilitse tried to remember her previous studies that involved Ethaefals. Nothing useful. She dropped the question in her mind, "What is your other form?" After the Ethaefal answered, it was Jilitse's turn to tell about her race, leaving her no time to wonder if she will be able to see Callisto transform.

"I was human before this. And I have lived well beyond my time." She paused, fleeting an eye to the Ethaefal to check if she was listening. "Nuits are created through the Daek-Nuit ritual, after which we become officially undead. Then we would have no need to eat, to drink, to sleep, and we continuously expire as our bodies wear out and we'd need to find another body to transfer into."

"Do you bleed?" Jilitse asked. "We do not bleed like common mortals do." Just in case Callisto decided to turn against her, Jilitse left out the fact that Nuits do not heal. You can never be too sure with people - human or not - these days. "Instead of blood, we have our ichor. We pass the ichor from one body to another, it is the only way we can retain our immortality." Her dull voice had a slow cadence, almost singsong at times. "I daresay that my soul is lost." Jilitse continued, "Some Nuits have reasons for staying in this world for centuries, like those in Sahova, myself included." Jil turned her head towards the direction of the watchtower. She glided back and faced Callisto. "I came from that miser island. It is a magical research facility that had survived the Valterrian and the last five centuries. It is trying to win back what Alahea has lost." The Nuit almost sounded proud.

"Would you mind if I ask, how would searching for anything about the Ukalas, Projection, Constellations or coordinates and the like," she mimicked Callisto's own words, "aid you?" Jilitse did not really want to help, but the relation of one topic to another sounded... rather strange, especially with the inclusion of projection. "The wizards I have worked for in the past usually mixed research topics." Learning and searching for knowledge was one thing Jilitse could not resist. Perhaps it was an attitude developed over years and years of finding one thousand and one ways to conquer the world. The Nuit also wanted to hear Callisto's plans. Maybe Jil could help, researching was the only thing the Nuit knew how to do properly. Was this a wave of nostalgia? Well, Jilitse told herself, she was merely remembering Mashaen because he was known to be a great Projectionist. And, she reasoned inwardly, she needed to study about the relationship between deities and their followers, and perhaps there was something to be gained by learning about the followers of Syna.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Callisto on August 29th, 2010, 3:21 am

There was a shadow of a smirk on her lips. What is your other form? She asked. How the bitterness overwhelmed her at the idea of returning to a mortal body, but there was nothing Callisto could do. Her face took on a faltered expression, as if she’d been struck by some unseen force, but she simply murmured, “You’ll see in a moment.” And then the Ethaefal had to wonder if it amazed people, to see her become something she so abhorred. There were those that called the Konti divine beings, but they were nothing compared to what she is now. Purity in Syna’s form, a true child of the sun! Callisto shook her head, then her pupil-less eyes fell on Jilitse, holding the Nuit’s own as she spoke of her people, the undead.

And how she listened. Callisto found Jilitse just as interesting, as perhaps, the Nuit found the Ethaefal. Humans who held the secret to an immortal life, merely through swapping bodies and this ichor? Daek-Nuit was a word that sparked something in her. Something, far and long forgotten, a life she’d once lived centuries before, but the idea was too vague to get any clear picture or grasp at any images in the dark recesses of her mind. She shook her head. No eat, no sleep, a lost soul wandering from corpse to corpse, and to what end, she wondered.

“You are not so much different than I in that aspect, Jilitse.” There was a hint of admiration, perhaps. “But does this mean you don’t originally look like this body you possess now? Can you remember what you look like?” When the Nuit spoke of the island where she hailed from, it peaked Callisto’s interest. “A research facility? Ah… you come from Sahova?” How interesting, this could be the chance that she yearned for, to learn of a suitable place to travel for training… if, of course, they would have her. But she wanted this knowledge, just as much as she wanted to return to the Ukalas where she rightfully belonged. “Please, if you would be so kind, Jilitse, would you tell me why you left? Was it for adventure, or something beyond that, something important to you as a being of great wisdom.”

Her next comment took her off guard. Of course, Callisto should have expected this from someone who seemed to hold a higher intelligence than any human she’s met so far. She gave a rueful smile, “It pertains to returning to my Goddess. I guess one could say I am going to great lengths to get there.” She wondered if she should elaborate with Jilitse on her plan, but Callisto wasn’t one to truly gave a rat’s ass what other’s thought of her, regardless. She was a passive individual, completely offset of anyone else; nonchalant to the ways of the mortal world. Why would it matter if the Nuit knew her purpose on this realm?

“The coordinates will be used to find the rift of the Ukalas, Projection… well, so far it has been incredibly usefull against certain individuals. You see, Jilitse, when the Syna diminished and Leth reaches for the sky…” There was a pause, as the twilight reigned overheard, forcing the Ethaefal’s body to shimmer and glow, going from a golden hue to a now alabaster one, with opalescent scales spiraling up a body that was now smaller in stature to the one she previously held. No horns swept from her temples, nor was there any sign of those unnerving, citrine eyes. It was a Konti who spoke to Jilitse now, one whose expression was painfully bitter, but her tone was soft, “I become a vile thing to look upon with disgust. There have been, from what I can tell, many lecherous men who have their minds on the prize. Projection just helps reinforce my dominance.”
Callisto
Boobs

Character sheet
Peer Reviewer (1)

Next