Flashback [The Crystal Hall] Time's a'Wastin'

What to do when there's nothing to do?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[The Crystal Hall] Time's a'Wastin'

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 1st, 2013, 3:58 am

Timestamp: 2nd of Spring, 508AV

It was a rare day, indeed, when Kirsi found herself entirely left to her own devices. Actually, it wasn't so rare anymore, she corrected silently. Almost overnight, it seemed, her friends had paired off and begun setting up households and starting families. Kirsi wished them well, but lately found herself missing the carefree hours they used to spend together. Many times they had sat in the Crystal Hall, just as she did now, laughing and dreaming and chattering for bells on end.

The Hall seemed quiet now.

The stone structure was far from empty; such a convenient gathering spot almost always entertained at least a few groups of people. Looking around, Kirsi could see two youths poring over a book a short distance away. A small group of grandmothers sitting around a table trading tales. Grandchildren? Husbands? Recipes? Who knew - but they were smiling and Kirsi watched them for a chime before looking back to her lap, and the wooden flute that sat there.

If there was a bonus in her friends' moving on, it was that Kirsi now had much more time to devote to her carving. The flute had been plain, purchased on a whim, for a few silver mizas. She had only the barest working knowledge of how to play it: you blew into one end, and sound came out the other. But that was unimportant for now. Kirsi was attempting to carve the outside of the flute into something with a more functional beauty.

The lines had been drawn in, and today she had brought the flute and her carving tools to the Crystal Hall for the dual purposes of carving and socializing. Only there was no one she cared to socialize with at the moment. Head bowed, focused on her flute, Kirsi scored the wood lightly. The design was a series of lines and small circles, an intricately swirling pattern made of very simple shapes. After nearly a bell of painstakingly light scratching at the body of the flute, Kirsi set down her tools and lifted the instrument to her lips.

Quietly, in deference to the ears and sensibilities of the other people in the Hall, Kirsi blew a tentative note. The carving might make the instrument look better, but it still sounded like a wounded bird.
Last edited by Kirsi Winterflame on September 4th, 2013, 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Words: 123239
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:50 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on September 1st, 2013, 4:48 am

The Crystal Hall was a Talderan wonder; Lyrri couldn't help but love the place, much as she wanted to see the rest of the world. It was alive today with scattered groups of people, each carrying on their conversations in cheerful bliss. Tired already of standing, Lyrri stretched her arms wide and let out a detached yawn; unfortunately, she wasn't a part of one of those groups today.

Most of her friends had gone off to moon over certain lasses and lads. It seemed to be all they wanted to do, nowadays. Lyrri sighed. It wasn't that she wasn't interested, nor was it that no one was interested in her... But what was the point?

The girl's dramatic musings were cut off by a shrill note; however quiet its owner had attempted to be, it managed to cut through the low conversations and mildly vocal atmosphere, causing the girl to flinch and whip her head about in confusion. A flute!

She quickly located the instrument, held by a somewhat familiar girl- she was a Winterflame, Lyrri thought, and one even shorter than her, though she was at least a few years older. However nice the elder girl might be, however, the object was by far what interested the Snowsong more.

The flute she held was a rather unique work, one with intricate curls and delicate lines which reminded her of her mentor's work. Had she carved that herself?

Lyrri watched her for but a few moments more- the slightest flash of jealous red in her yellow eyes, the far more potent cheerful lavender when she marveled at the simple beauty of the flute- until finally, it occurred to her to say hello.

And without a second thought, she swooped herself up and over to the girl, bringing herself almost uncomfortably close and grinning with electric greens. "It's... Kiri, right?"

OOCGyahhhh I'm just not eloquent tonight. Sorry. Sleep time. Time for sleep.
Send me a message if you'd like to thread together sometime! School's coming back, along with some nasty projects due, but I'll do my best to keep up, alright?
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Words: 46750
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2013, 7:05 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 1st, 2013, 6:05 pm

Another, slightly louder wounded-bird chirp escaped the flute, borne on Kirsi's startled breath. She looked at the newcomer in surprise, golden eyes narrowed slightly as she tried to put a name to the face. Snowsong. That was it. It seemed the girl had a similar problem, however, as she questioned Kirsi:

"It's... Kiri, right?" The Snowsong girl had stopped just this side of too close, and was staring with interest at the flute. Realizing that her carvings might be considered rough compared to what the girl must see daily, living at Snowsong Hold, Kirsi set the flute down and offered the other girl a smile instead.

"Kirsi, actually. Winterflame. And I'm afraid I don't recall your name. Snowsong hold, right?" Not waiting for confirmation, Kirsi nodded. She did remember seeing the girl - mostly because she had been haunting Snowsong recently, on some excuse or other, listening to the music. Snowsong Hold was known for its artists of every kind. Kirsi had been hard-pressed to come up with plausible excuses to visit regularly enough for her liking. The Vantha were a welcoming people, but you couldn't just show up at another Hold and say 'Hi. I'd like to sit around and do nothing while you entertain me.' That was just poor form.

So Kirsi delivered messages, packages, requests, whatever she could. As slowly as she could. And as often as she could. The art and influence in Snowsong had very nearly tempted her to marry into the Hold, but she'd found that was simply too much of a sacrifice to make.

"What brings you here? Meeting friends?" Kirsi glanced around, but didn't see any likely-looking groups. The other girl was of an age where people started pairing off. Maybe she was here to meet a boyfriend?
Last edited by Kirsi Winterflame on September 4th, 2013, 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on September 2nd, 2013, 12:35 am

Lyrri was mildly surprised to be greeted by a friendly smile. "Ahh, my apologies," she replied, the lavender cheer resurfacing in small flecks and splashes. "And yes! Lyrri Snowsong. Nice to meetcha!" She really ought to have remembered the girl's name; she had made regular appearances in the Snowsong hold as of late. Lyrri gave a welcoming grin- she wouldn't forget it now, of course!

No wonder the girl was carrying the flute; hearing the Snowsong performers had to inspire some sort of interest in everyone, right? That's why Lyrri was so partial to her hold. How could she marry into a new home when this one was so perfect for her?

"What brings you here? Meeting friends?"

It may have been because it was on the girl's mind, but the Snowsong felt she knew what had occurred to Kirsi. Her friends were surely ready to marry off, too, and Lyrri's wouldn't be far behind. "No," she replied with a smile and a shrug. "Just felt like taking a walk today."

But thoughts of dating and marriage quickly grew dull. With a small shake of the head she dispelled her musings and found her gaze drawn again to the Winterflame's instrument. "That flute looks lovely," she remarked with quickly gaining interest. "Are you learning to play it?" Now that she got a closer look, it appealed to her even more. It had subtle curves and a gently sloping body; her mind drifted again to Parrsni's workshop, and the carefully crafted instrument that had accompanied her for three years. She smiled warmly as her hand slid to her own flute, tucked into the belt at her waist; if only she could do something like that, to make it her own!
Send me a message if you'd like to thread together sometime! School's coming back, along with some nasty projects due, but I'll do my best to keep up, alright?
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 2nd, 2013, 1:31 am

"Just felt like taking a walk today. That flute looks lovely. Are you learning to play it?"

Kirsi's hand snuck over, self-consciously covering her flute at Lyrri's question. "I - yes. Its just something I've been doing, the carving," with a half-smile, she dismissed her art. It really wasn't up to par; certainly she was pleased with the way it was turning out, but Kirsi had no illusions about her own skill level. She couldn't hold a candle to the true artists.

Yet, she thought firmly. They all started somewhere; why not practice on a flute?

"The flute was sort of an impulse purchase. I really don't have the first clue how to play it," she admitted, chuckling. "As you probably heard." A dull flush crept into her cheeks, and her eyes turned a remarkable combination of violet and yellow, amusement and embarrassment warring within her. Amusement won the day, however, and Kirsi met Lyrri's gaze with a pure violet one of her own.

Noting the instrument tucked into Lyrri's belt, Kirsi's eyes widened slightly. After a brief inner debate, she shrugged: might as well ask. "Do you play? Would you - this might sound horribly out of place, but would you mind terribly showing me how to make this thing," here she patted her flute, "not sound like a dying animal?" Normally Kirsi wouldn't have dreamed of asking a virtual stranger for help in something so trivial. But Lyrri was Snowsong; who better to ask? And Kirsi found little intimidating about the other girl; she was young, she seemed friendly and she had walked up to Kirsi, after all. The worst she could do was say no.
Last edited by Kirsi Winterflame on September 4th, 2013, 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on September 2nd, 2013, 2:11 am

"I like it," Lyrri went on, oblivious to the girl's humble dismissals- Lyrri was never one to be modest, and it didn't occur to her that others might. "It's got... Character. Makes me want to hear it." She glanced down; hers was completely unmarked, save for a small nich from the day she had dropped it. I had a small heart attack, she thought with a meek smile, but nowadays I like it even more. And even so, Kirsi's instrument had a magnetic effect, as if it already had its own story to tell.

"I really don't have the first clue how to play it... As you probably heard."

Lyrri smiled sheepishly- true, she could do with a bit of practice- and then chuckled slightly as she matched Kirsi's amused violet glance. "Well, I've heard worse... Besides, it only takes a bit of practice!"

At the next question, a loud, ringing laugh accompanied the Snowsong's mild, flattered surprise. "You're much too hard on yourself," she claimed as a jovial flash of green flew through her eyes. "And I really have no idea how to teach... But I can give you a few tips, if you'd like!" The girl wasn't concerned with knowing too little to help Kirsi; she would do anything with confidence if only she was given the chance. Besides, teaching wasn't so hard... Right?

Excitedly, she pulled out her flute. She stared down at it for only a moment, running a thumb over the smooth, untouched wood, before whipping her head back to watch Kirsi with more intense bright greens. "In exchange, maybe you could help me carve a bit of this one!"
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 2nd, 2013, 2:52 am

"It's got... Character. Makes me want to hear it."

"Thank you," Kirsi picked her flute up once more, studied it a moment and continued, unbidden, "to me, these swirls are like the music that I hear. Its meant to sort of inspire me, I guess. To play what I envision the music looking like..." She trailed off, feeling just a bit silly. Aloud, her reasoning sounded extremely naive. Vani was a beautiful singsonging language, but it couldn't make simpleminded statements any more intelligent.

Still, thinking about it, she couldn't have put it any other way. She carved what she saw, and in the flute she saw music spiraling outward. If she couldn't yet bring that music forth audibly, then carving it in plain sight was the next best option.

"...I can give you a few tips, if you'd like!" Lyrri offered, after her initial laughter.

Kirsi was pleasantly surprised; she'd half expected the other girl to refuse outright, or refer her to someone else in Snowsong Hold. Someone that Kirsi may or may not have worked up the temerity to approach. But she said yes, and seemed all too happy to help, pulling out her own flute and considering it.

"In exchange, maybe you could help me carve a bit of this one!"

Kirsi, too, eyed Lyrri's flute. It was pristine, to her eye. Untouched and utterly open to interpretation. She wondered what the other girl had in mind for it. Certain that it would be manageable, however, she readily agreed to help. "I can help, of course. Flutes are small, and the actual carving of it shouldn't take very long at all, once you have the design in mind. Do you have a design in mind?"

Awaiting an answer, she slipped her carving burin back into her toolkit and picked her flute up. Kirsi held it in both hands, placing her fingers over the air holes, and imagining what it would be like to create the music she could so easily visualize.
Last edited by Kirsi Winterflame on September 4th, 2013, 1:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on September 2nd, 2013, 4:05 am

Lyrri bounced cheerfully as Kirsi described her carving. "That's exactly it!"

She was unphased by the Winterflame's recurring embarrassment; she didn't even see the problem. Much as Lyrri liked to spin tales and use pretty words, she was far from the expert storytellers of her hold. What Kirsi said was simple and true, and it made the younger happy to think of it. "It makes sense, I mean," she said with a casual smile. "It inspires me, too."

Her smile grew ever wider as the elder girl conceded, and the bouncing started up again- childish enthusiasm, sure, but wouldn't it be fun? She had never taken to carving, but it did fascinate her from time to time... Maybe it was even something she could make a hobby of!

"Do you have a design in mind?"

Lyrri straightened up with wide eyes. She hadn't thought of that.

She chuckled and looked at the flute again, a sheepish indigo floating through her irises. "I'm not entirely sure," she trailed- then, something occurred to her. "I suppose... I want it to remind me of home. Of Avanthal- for when I finally leave here." Maybe it was on a whim, but already the Vantha felt she could see what Kirsi saw; great big bears and frozen pines, the essence of the Northern Reaches captured in a few careful lines. This smile crept up on her, bright and shining uncontrollably. She allowed herself a moment more to contemplate it before shrugging and looking up again.

Right! Teaching! "Well, there are certain things you can only memorize. I guess I should show you a few notes, yes?" Brushing away her uncertainty, she took her own flute in both hands. Holding it up a short distance from her face, she carefully placed her fingers over two of the array of holes.

"This is middle C," she said with a nod toward the instrument. "There are four octaves for this flute, as far as I can tell; I've only memorized two, though."
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kirsi Winterflame on September 2nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

The prospect of carving her flute had Lyrri bouncing around like a snow hare. Kirsi couldn't help an indulgent chuckle. Truth be known, she felt a similar excitement about learning even the basics of her flute. But, at nearly 20, she felt she was far too mature to indulge in such an obvious display. For just a moment, she envied the other girl her unselfconscious mannerisms, as she wondered what it might be like to go through life unfiltered.

"I want it to remind me of home. Of Avanthal- for when I finally leave here," the other girl was saying, slowly, as if the idea had just occurred to her.

Kirsi raised an eyebrow in surprise at Lyrri's mention of leaving Avanthal. If she were leaving, then the design made all the more sense. It would be an interesting challenge to depict all of Avanthal on the body of a flute, but that would be a challenge best tackled after lessons. Maybe they could come up with something stylized, that would fit the space they had to work with and still get the message across?

Cutting that thought off before she got too carried away with design ideas, she turned her attention back to Lyrri in time to see the other girl carefully positioning her fingers over a few of the air holes. Both flutes seemed to be of similar construction, and Kirsi sighed in relief. It hadn't really dawned on her that the flutes might be essentially different, but she supposed the principles might be the same, either way.

"This is middle C. There are four octaves for this flute, as far as I can tell; I've only memorized two, though."

Kirsi held her flute up, in a decent mirror of Lyrri. Brow furrowed, she counted the holes, being careful to place her fingers exactly as Lyrri had. Once done, she looked up with a smile. "Great. What's an octave? And is four a lot?"
Last edited by Kirsi Winterflame on September 4th, 2013, 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kirsi Winterflame
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lyrri Snowsong on September 3rd, 2013, 2:02 am

"Great. What's an octave? And is four a lot?"

Lyrri looked up blankly. It hadn't occurred to her that Kirsi may not know what octaves were, and it hadn't occurred to her that she'd need to explain such a thing. Music was practically all there was for most Snowsongs; it was an integral part of life in hold. You couldn't avoid this sort of thing... She would have to start further back than she thought.

Oh, well, she decided, hoping in the back of her mind that the Winterflame hadn't noticed her surprise, that just means I get to teach the easy stuff, right? No breathing practice or random tips; they could start with the basics!

"An octave is a set of eight notes, from A to G," she began with undiminished cheer. "So if there are four octaves, there'll be... 32 notes."

"... Plus the sharps and flats," she added suddenly; would that confuse Kirsi? Should she just get back to that? Maybe this wouldn't be as easy as she thought.

Regardless, she went on. "And those are... The spaces in between the notes. Though not all of the notes have them."

"And sometimes a sharp and a flat are the same thing... Because a sharp is half a step up, and a flat is half a step down. So C# is the same as Db."
Did that make sense in the slightest?

She thought for a moment more, contemplating the flute she held, before shrugging, putting it to her lip and blowing a final, tentative note.
Lyrri Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next