Closed Here, hold a puppy (Coren, Emmadalor)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Here, hold a puppy (Coren, Emmadalor)

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on September 1st, 2013, 7:36 pm

--Fall 42th 513AV--

Sometimes ten puppies was too much. Way too much. Especially when they were jumping all over you, clawing your shirts and gnawing on your shoes. Or your fingers. Spirit tried to avoid the last, as, though the canine's teeth weren't sharp or big enough to draw blood, man were they painful. It was like being poked with a needle but... worse. Still, they didn't do too much damage to her boots, so she let them bite those to their heart's content.

At the moment, the Frostfawn was standing near her Arvinta, surrounded by eight of those ten puppies. Two were being smart and sleeping back inside her room. At the moment she had... three reds, four grays, and one mix. There was only two of the latter, their fur an odd mix between Fog's grey and Apple's red. The second, as well as another red were the ones sleeping inside. She picked up the current mix and quickly checked between its legs. Male. She considered replacing the puppy, but held on to it, liking the warm body in her arms. Anyways, she needed to hold them a lot so they got used to human contact.

The other seven had grown bored of her shoes and now lay in two or three piles, tussling playfully. Well, some not so playfully. One, a red who she'd noticed as a slight bully, was biting a grey's ear, causing the puppy to whine in pain. The problem was, it didn't seem to 'playful', especially considering the victim was the runt of the litter, much smaller. Since she was one of the few identifiable ones, she'd temporarily names him 'Littley'. Frowning, the girl set her current puppy on the ground, who quickly raced off to play with his siblings. She moved over to the wrestling pair and gently pushed the red off, lifting Littley up into her arms. That was the one sure way to keep the two apart. The red, seemingly uncaring that his prey had left, turned and joined another scuffle between three other puppies gleefully.

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Emmadalor on September 11th, 2013, 1:58 am

The sound of sleigh-bells could be heard approaching Spirit's location. A snow-colored horse pulled a sleigh behind it. The figure driving the sleigh was so covered in furs that it was impossible to tell anything about them from a distance. The sleigh moved slowly, and stopped frequently, but eventually it pulled up near where Spirit was playing with puppies.

Emmadalor had been riding around Avanthal every day for the majority of the season, growing more frustrated and despondent with each passing day. With no other passtimes in mind, she had elected to attempt to make a map of the snow city. However, she was still recovering, so she had decided to map the city from the ground, a decidedly more complicated task than she was used to. She had mostly worked out the approximate locations of all the buildings and landmarks, but she was struggling with how to portray them on the parchment. Normally, she would draw them from the air, and so the city would fit together in a way that made sense for a map. But now, she was drawing everything from a different angle. The front of an Arvinta did not fit neatly above the one next to it. Roofs could be laid out in two dimensions, but drawing doors that way just looked ridiculous!

She had already tried to cry about her frustrations, several times, but the tears froze instantly on her face, leaving painful crystals that she felt too miserable to brush away. When she pulled up next to a scene of merrily frolicking puppies, the emotional juxtaposition was so jarring that she could do nothing but stare in longing agony for several long moments.

OOCLet me know if Emma's depressing enough. I can always cram in more angst :P
Emmadalor
Passive-Aggressive Pacifist

Words: 37823
Joined roleplay: January 19th, 2012, 6:49 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on September 12th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Spirit had been attempting to pull away a puppy from her boot, with no success. It's teeth were deeply indented into the leather, and had stuck there. It would have been hard enough to remove it even if the creature wanted to let go. Instead, it seemed to be enjoying the situation. She lifted it up, letting it's teeth slowly inch out from her shoes. Once it was out- she checked between the puppy's legs. A male. The Frostfawn cuddled the dog in her arms, letting the little grey thing squirm in irritation. However, her attention was focused elsewhere.

The sound of sleigh bells had caught her ears, and soon enough, a carriage pulled by a horse that nearly blended in with the ground pulled up. In the seat, holding the reins, was a... something. She couldn't honestly tell, as it was covered with furs, but it was certainly a person. The girl frowned slightly, before craddling her puppy in one arm, and raising the other. "Uhh... hello! Nice horse!" She walked up to the person, leaving the remaining seven puppies to tussle among themselves. The grey in her arms had given up on escape, instead enjoying the free ride. She'd approached the carriage mostly because she was curious about who was bundled under all those furs. She'd never seen some one in that situation, so the sight was... odd, in the least.

Spirit walked up and rested her free hand on the horse's neck, rubbing it a bit. It wasn't a Windrunner- too sturdy for that breed. It was probably some kind of sleigh horse.... Avanthalian, if she was right... though she'd never been able to tell horse breeds apart too well. "So... why all the furs?" Generally most Vantha, at least those with Morwen's gift, didn't need so much warmth, and today wasn't exactly the coldest day. Maybe a fur jacket and mits, but all this? It was a little excessive...

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Emmadalor on December 5th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Emmadalor burst into tears--or tried to; it was hard to do properly, since even under the furs she was shivering. In any case, she sobbed weakly as the few tears she could squeeze out froze on her eyelash. This circumstance only made her feel frustrated and irritable. "Perhaps you have not noticed," she snapped, "how insufferably frigid is your wasteland of a frozen ocean. Why, Summer, of all the times to nearly freeze to death, is by far the most absurd!"

She had to give up speaking for a moment as a particularly large shudder shook her frame, but then she continued on, stronger than ever. The floodgates were open now. "Better I had perished then, than the fate which I suffer now. Shaking, miserable, trapped but for this creature of ridiculous appendage!" she gestured with dramatic disdain at the horse, who seemed indifferent to her aspersions. She went on in a venomous hiss, "And those healers! Incompetent, the lot of them! Rather than let me pass peaceably, they must not only force me to continue suffering this abysmal existence, but also they cripple me! Now I am forced to speculate on the layout of this landscape by running about. Speculate! I do not see how I am to be expected to produce worthy representations of your blindingly pale city if I cannot even see the thing from a proper angle!!"

Emmadalor sat huffing for a few moments, having finished her rant. Oddly enough, she had stopped shivering, and was beginning to feel almost warm. She tried to remember what had brought her in this direction, when she caught sight of the puppy in the girl's arms. "Ugh," she said, drawing back in disgust. "What is that dreadful creature?"
Emmadalor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on December 5th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Spirit frowned at the woman's sudden hostility. It was slightly... off putting. Apparently the woman was not a Vantha, instead complaining about the weather, and the cold. Technically, it was Fall by then, not Summer, but she wasn't about to mention it. She'd apparently started a full-blown rant, one that insulted their healers for... saving the woman? That was strange. The Frostfawn gave the newcomer an odd look, backing up half a step in blunt surprise.

When the attention turned to her puppy, Spirit's frown grew even deeper. "He's a puppy" she stated, blunt and vaguely irritated. She didn't like the woman's blatant insults of the things she really loved. Namely, her dog. "He's barely 40 days old, for your information. And he's not dreadful. He's cute." She scowled slightly, but attempted to bring herself out of the grumpy rut she'd dug for herself. Calm... the woman just seemed generally irritated.

"On another note, you don't seem to be from Avanthal. Might I know where you come from?" She had a lot more questions to throw the woman's way, but decided to keep them to a minimum for now. One at a time, and attempt to avoid another rant....

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Emmadalor on December 27th, 2013, 1:16 am

Emmadalor almost argued the point about the ragged little ball of meat, but in the end, deflated, she realized there was no point. The human was obviously blind to its faults, and nothing the put-upon Akvatari said would change her mind. Instead she just pulled her furs more tightly around herself, dropping the reins and trusting the horse not to go wandering off without her. The momentary warmth she'd felt was all too fleeting, and though her hands were also covered in fur, they felt like they would never be truly warm again.

Then the woman asked her a question. A simple enough question, to the casual observer, but the subject of her origins flashed Emmadalor back to a time she had almost managed to forget amid her recent trauma. The resurfacing of these memories brought a siren-like wail of anguish from the Akvatari's throat, loud and shrill enough to set some if not all of the puppies barking.

"O, do not inquire upon such a painful topic as my past! Would that it were not so miserable, then I need not have fled to this, the remotest wasteland, to escape! Alas, that this is as far as I can flee. There is nowhere I can fly that will not bring me closer to my home, and its harrowing memories! And yet even this is not enough! I am hounded by malevolent ghosts who wish me to never know peace! What must I do to be free of you!? Where may I go that I can live without being forced to recall all the reason why I should not?!"

Her words then collapsed into loud sobbing. She pulled her furs over her head so that her tears would not freeze on her face, and she curled up on the seat of her sleigh, crying her heart out.
Emmadalor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on December 27th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Spirit stared at the woman in shock at her response. This person kept putting her off... and off... and off. Honestly, what was with all the crying? She was usually a sympathetic person, but this was beginning to become... well, annoying. She couldn't help staring, however, and the puppy in her arms began squirming to get out.

"Right..." she muttered to herself as the woman curled under her furs. "Shouldn't have asked." She tried to remind herself that the woman had probably gone through some emotional trauma, and she should be helping... but it didn't work. She couldn't see any immediate problems... and the woman had insulted her puppy. She didn't quite look like she wanted reassuring.

She remembered something else the woman had said and frowned. "You mentioned mapping from the proper angle... what is the proper angle, then?" Wasn't there only one angle... from the ground? You just went around buildings to map them?

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Emmadalor on January 7th, 2014, 6:39 am

Emmadalor pursed her lips and leveled a frosty look at the woman who was trying to distract her from her theatrics by changing the subject instead of wallowing in the Akvatari's misery. Fortunately, this also was a subject she could go on about at length.

"At what angle do you suppose maps are drawn, hm? Is it from the ground, gazing about the land, only seeing distant locations in perspective? Each map would be different depending on the vantage point! No, maps show the landscape as if being viewed from above, with each feature of a size proportional to its actuality! Now when I was whole, I could take advantage of that perspective, but since I am grounded, thanks to the incompetence of your healers, I am forced to use guesswork, like one of you...you... pathetic leg-walkers!"

At the conclusion of her speech, she draped a hand dramatically over her forehead, though the effect was diminished somewhat by the majority of her body still hidden under furs. She affected a half-sob, in an attempt to truly convey her grief at being unable to fly.
Emmadalor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on January 8th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Spirit listened to the woman’s explosion about map drawing. She talked… as if she could see the world from above. Like… she could fly. Could anyone fly? She tried to stare behind all the furs to see if there was wings there. However, it seemed the healers had messed up on something? Like they could be blamed… well, if you could deal with bird wings, you could deal with… er… human wings. Or not-human wings. Same thing, right? It still would have been disturbing.

The ‘leg-walker’ comment finalized the groom’s assurance that the speaker could indeed fly. ”Riiiight…” she muttered, eyebrows raised. She didn’t like the insults to the healers… she was training to be one herself, though for animals rather than humans. ”I doubt they know much about… wings?” She voiced her earlier thoughts, still trying to spot the wings. She thought they’d look big and long and white-feathered, like a Frosthawk’s. That would make sense, right? Nothing else had wings, of course. Well… she wasn’t so sure about that. Bats had wings, but she didn’t really know bats…

The woman’s moaning was getting on her nerves – which was saying something. Still, the Frostfawn’s curiosity kept her pestering before walking away. ”You can fly, I’m assuming. Then… what in Morwen’s name are you? Some kind of bird-person?”

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Ablation on May 20th, 2014, 2:50 am

Emma :
Please update your CS to receive your grade

Spirit :
Experience:
    Socialization +1
    Leadership +1
    Deduction +1

Lores:
    Puppy: Sexing
    Introduced to a Melancholic Bird Person

Please don't be afraid to PM me with any questions ^-^ and please don't forget to remove your grading request from the list to keep My office spick and span.
Ablation
Retired Staff

Words: 276726
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2014, 9:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office