Completed [Anthonus Fighter's Pit] Drillus Maximus (Ethan)

As promised, Titus teaches Ethan how to defend himself

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Anthonus Fighter's Pit] Drillus Maximus (Ethan)

Postby Radiant on September 4th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Anthonius Fighter's Pit, 8th of Bell, 10th of Fall 513 A.V

In the open air Fighter's Pit, under Syna's morning light, a figure of a bulky very tall man could be seen at the Fighter's Pits. His large presence naturally attracted attention, some of the fighter's there immediately gave him room, especially the ones that doesn't know the man personally. Ser Titus looked intimidating, yes, but he was a gentle giant. Beneath his fearsome exterior, he's a caring and loyal man. He was off-duty and in his civilian clothes, wearing light leather armor, no weapons on him. Those who recognized him as a knight gave nods and light bows in respect.

Gerard Anthonius noticed him and approached, it was not often that he seen Titus in his civilian clothes, the Knight was proud of his armor and weapons after all "Hail, Ser Titus, what brings you here?"

"Ah! My good friend, Sir Anthonius! Well, I'm here to teach a dear friend of mine in the art of combat!" His booming voice sounded loud even in the open-air pits.

"I see, Ser. Who might this friend be?" Anthonius didn't mean to prod, but was curious nonetheless, it was easy to be friends with the man, but to make him offer his lessons, that friend must had done a great thing for the knight indeed.

"He's Sir Ironhorse! Blacksmith! He was the one who pampered Hammie! My warhammer!"

"Ah I see, well then, I shouldn't disturb you no longer, Ser" That was the information Gerard needed, the man absolutely loved his warhammer, a blacksmith who tended it would logically become his friend. So, Gerard went back to his job, teaching aspiring warriors, while Ser Titus stood there, waiting for Ethan to arrive.
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Ethan Ironhorse on September 4th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Ethan awoke early in the morning and started to do small things about the apartment. Ethan gathered his bowls and dirty spoons, tidy up his dirty clothing and made it ready to go to the Soothing Water after his training with Ser Titus. Ethan began to sweep up the small apartment in order to occupy his time. Ethan knew that if he was going to do some hard training he didn’t want to eat breakfast and then vomit it all up, halfway through the day. So Ethan thought about what type of training Ser Titus was going to offer, for days now Ethan had wanted to go to the Leatherworks and purchase some armor, or talk with Hadyn and grab a sword. Maybe even go down to Devandil and see the price to rent a room and try magecrafting the weapon. Granted, Ethan knew that his funds were limited if he was going to try and go to Zeltiva. It would be a balance, he needed to train but on the other hand he would need to make some money to survive.

Ethan was tempted to take the season off and just train daily at the pit, doing his best to practice over and over again. Yet, the ticket for a ship to Zeltiva could be twenty to fifty miza’s. Armor, weapons, supplies… up to a hundred, then there was training with healing supplies and repair, coupled with the cost of food and living expenses, Ethan would only have a few hundred Miza’s going to Zeltiva, and that could easy disappear if he wasn’t careful. Of course, Ethan could dismiss the combat training, but it didn’t seem like a good idea. No, he needed to learned how to defend himself because he couldn’t count on knights being present everywhere. Besides, if he had to explore or go out into the wilderness to find or recover something, Ethan knew that one fight would proof all the time training to be worth it.

Ethan left for the Pit slightly early, making sure to wear durable and flexible pants, while wearing a dirty shirt that he didn’t mind sweating even more in it. The crowds and people of the city were busy moving here and there, Ethan saw that most of the farmer’s had already left to try and bring in the crops early. As Ethan approached the pit he saw Ser Titus speaking to another man. It was then that Ethan notice it was none other than Gerald Athonius the Pit’s owner and overall teacher to the general public. Ethan moved down into the pit feeling the cool breeze of the storms forming in the north. It was easy to forget what to sky looked like, when you spent so much of your time indoors, but the cloud cover and almost humming sense of energy told Ethan that fall was on its way and the storms were coming.

As Ser Titus finished speaking with Gerald, Ethan looked over the man and realized that he was terribly underdressed. Thinking it through, Ethan vowed that in the next couple of days to get the equipment and start training even harder. That way for the next lesson with Ser Titus, Ethan would show improvement and wiliness to learn. As Gerald walked away, Ethan gave the man a nod of his head. After all he was very likely to see the man multiple times over the course of the next two seasons. Ethan put on a smile and waved at Ser Titus. “Hallo, Ser Titus, I see that next time I will need to arrive early, because on time must mean I am late.” Ethan chuckled a little. “Additionally, looks like I will need leather armor and a padded shirt underneath?” Ethan cocked an eyebrow, the leather armor looked right but Ethan wasn’t sure about the padded shirt. “I will make sure to find the local armorer and buy it. So what is the first step in our training, Ser Titus?”

OOC :
How did you know to choose the 10th? I am so excited about the woman missing her Djed! ‘They stole it?’ Petching Leechers! I am so going to start practicing even harder to go after them! Oh the hunt is on, like Donkey Kong!
Ethan Ironhorse
Player

Words: 367863
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2013, 2:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on September 5th, 2013, 4:45 pm

"Ah! You've arrived just one time, Sir Ironhorse!" Titus' booming voice greeted his favorite Blacksmith, the Knight was going to have a swell time sharing his combat knowledge to the man who deserved it. He approached Ethan and patted his shoulder "I was just talking with Sir Anthonius, hahaha! Well, looks like we don't need to waste time on pleasantries now, do we? Haha! I see you are as excited as I am!". He cleared his throat and went to "Drill Sergeant" mode, giving both of them some distance, he cracked his fists and showed his large hands to Ethan.

"The first step to our training would be unarmed combat! It's very very important for every man out there to learn it! Sure, you may be a swordsmaster or expert marksman, but! You may find a situation where you don't have your weapons! If you don't know how to use your fists and body, what will happen?" Titus himself knew it first hand, Hammie couldn't always be there with him so he also trained himself in the important art of using his fist, legs, and body to defend himself.

"First, I want to see your stance, then... try hitting me, I will retaliate of course, showing you how an opponent would act!" If Ethan made a clumsy stance, Titus would correct him, then he would show him some of his moves, stopping just inches from actual physical contact, don't want to accidentally harm a student in the first chimes of training now, do we?

OOCFeel free to Roleplay Titus teaching and sparring with you as well, Ethan. ;)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ethan Ironhorse on September 6th, 2013, 12:02 am

Ethan thought about the little practice that he had with Kaie of the Cutthroat Shadows. Placing a foot forward, his toe point slightly inward while directing his gaze at Titus, Ethan made sure his right heel was in line with the ball of his left foot and was at an angle from his body. Feeling himself step into balance Ethan put his hands into fists. Titus looked at his stance and realized that Ethan must have learnt a little bit of boxing, overall Ethan’s forward balance seemed to be good but he was a little too wide for a proper stance. Titus instead squared his shoulders and step back in with his right foot slightly inward and placed his foot at a diagonal to his body. Titus raised his fist so that the right fingers were in line with his jaw and then moved his left hand forward. “Go!” Titus bellowed, his deep voice seeming to echo off the stone ring, ending with a rumble in Ethan’s chest.

Ethan step forward and extend his left hand in the classic jab. Titus moved to his right, and did a quick snap kick towards Ethan’s groin, the force of the blow stop a hands breath from full contact as the breeze from foot was felt across Ethan’s lower belly.

“A boxing stance is good if you are in a boxing match or if the other person can’t or won’t use their legs. When you are in a fight out on the streets or in the woods, you are in a fight for your life. A street thug doesn’t care about breaking bones, ripping out an eye, or kicking you in the family jewels. Here open up your stance, you run the risk of being hit in the front with a punch or kick, but you gain a great deal of side movement.” Titus told Ethan how to setup feet, “Now sit down a little bit in the stance. Not too much now… better.” Titus put himself in the same stance, “This will also prevent someone from kicking the front leg over and over again. Now,” Titus lifted a large fist using two fingers he pointed at his eyes, “keep me square, and out of arm’s length.” Titus began to move forward slowly at first as he watched Ethan’s posture.

Ethan was able to keep his footwork and stance as he backed up, then Titus moved to the left slide. Ethan moved his legs and then all of a sudden Titus moved forward, Ethan in desperation moved backwards with his front left leg and realized too late that he had crossed his legs. Ethan tumbled backward and fell on the ground. “Well since you are down there we are going to push ups, on the up push, jump and lunge upwards.” Titus quickly hit the ground and squared up with Ethan looking him in the eye with a crazy smile lighting up his eyes. “Go!”

Titus pushed down in a smooth motion, “Keep those buttocks down, Ethan!” Ethan did as he was told, feeling the pressure increase in his arms as his body lowered smoothly. “Up!” Titus push upward and then tucked his legs into his chest and jumped up. Ethan watch the man and moved with him. “Down!” This time Ethan was the only one who went down as he felt his body become a rigid plank. “First thing you need to know about fighting is yourself. Up! Always know where your feet and hands are at. Down! If you do not know, your opponent does! Up!” Titus continued yelling up and down till Ethan had completed thirty push ups and lunges. Titus had started to speed up the lunges faster at the end, making it more of a challenge. Sweat was coming off the Ethan, yet he wasn’t breathing hard. Titus realized that as a smith his upper body strength was probably very good, but his legs needed to be the first thing that Ethan used and then his fists. When Titus had been a squire it had taken him awhile to realize how much a good kick could stop his opponent.

“Take your stance!” Ethan dropped into the stance, as his heart began to beat rapidly in his chest. Ethan realized that his feet were slightly misalign and quickly adjusted them. Titus notice the little shuffle of feet but didn’t stay anything, squaring into his own stance, Titus bellowed out the next order. “On me. Go!” He began moving to his left seeing that Ethan moved as well, and this time making sure that he didn’t cross his feet. For the next fifteen chimes, Titus and Ethan went back and forth side to side. When Ethan did have a good stance or fell behind, Titus told him to drop and the pushup lunges began again. After each rest, as Titus began to refer to the extra exercises that Ethan was doing, Titus would began to speed up with his movements. Ethan started to feel muscles in the sides of his hips scream with every sidewise movement. Yet, Ethan merely grunted as he kept moving. “Stop!”

“Good now you know the basics of moving, lets learn our first combo shall we!” Titus took his stance in front of Ethan and began explaining. "One, my right fist covers my jaw, it’s too protect me from a left cross or kick that an opponent could try for my face or side. I can move the arm down ward to catch the blow if need be.” Titus extend his hand down so that it had the possibility of covering his own family jewels. “If the kick or punch is coming in higher than the jaw line, it’s easier to drop your weight downward and let the blow pass over your head.” Titus did the classic bob and weave, as if someone would come after the 6’6” tall man’s face. However, Titus had taught shorter people before and for them it was helpful. “If your opponent decides to start throwing kicks at your lower parts, you are going to have to use your front shin to block the blow. Once the blow is stop you can land on your opponents foot hard breaking bones; or switch up your front leg to jab the person in the face.” Titus demonstrated the block with his shin and quickly switch legs and instead of doing a jab, did a kick with the ball of his foot too imaginary opponent’s liver.

“So our first combo will be, head duck and weave against my right and left cross, throw a jab and cross, then a knee.” Titus did the combo quickly. First, he bobbed left and then right as he came up and threw a jab with his left and then came in with a right cross, as his body began to come back, Titus used his momentum to spring back with his knee. “When I say switch, you will hop flipping your feet after the cross. It to make sure that you don’t always favor one side during combat, now prepare yourself because I will be throwing punches for you to duck. Stance!” Ethan dropped into his stance at Titus command, his hips had slowly started to ease up from all the movement left and right, but Ethan wasn’t going to get any more time. “Go!” Titus moved his left out in a great swinging arc aimed at the top of Ethan’s head. Just as Ethan bobbed and weaved, Titus started with his right arm swinging, Ethan was just barely fast enough and Titus felt the bottom of his hand graze Ethan’s hair. Quickly Titus brought in his fists to cover him and Ethan did the combo. The movement seemed slow too Titus, but then again all beginners looked like this. Ethan just needed time and practice, just like raw squires. “Again!” Ethan performed the combination of moves with a little more speed, but it was also a lot more ugly. “Keep that fist close to your jaw, or we are going to run laps! Again!”

Titus had Ethan perform the combination ten times and then called for him to switch. As Ethan hop moving his legs, Titus saw him cross his feet and quickly pushed forward with his hand to knock Ethan down. “Feet! Feet! Go on, down!” Ethan dropped into a push up and held it. “It’s important to keep your shoulders square when you switch. Don’t over rotate the hop! Since your down there watch my feet.” Ethan picked up his neck and looked at Titus feet. As the man hopped his feet merely went back wards adjusting his stance perfect to the other side. Titus did this several times and it was when he started noticing Ethan’s arms shake it held back from saying up for a few more minutes, just like any squire. “Up!... Down!” Titus made Ethan do another eight push up lunges before he had him take his stance again.

“Go!” Once again Titus threw the fake punches and watched Ethan as he went through the motions. Titus made sure that at random he would call out to switch legs, as he kept encouraging Ethan to go faster. Then all of a sudden it happened… Ethan didn’t recovered his fist quickly enough to cover his jaw before starting the switch. “Stop!” Titus yelled in an almost battlefield voice. “That’s it we are going for a run, my friend!” In training raw squires, this was the moment that would break them or make them. The run was always fun, and Titus had wished that instead of the Pits, they were up in the training grounds on the roof. Titus had made sure that a hard circular route was laid out for the recruits, in which they would run and then have to climb or run up stairs to get to the next leg. A great deal of recruits would give up once they realized that Titus wasn’t just keeping up with them, but in fact wasn’t even breathing hard. Too many people believe that Titus was slow or didn’t like to run, though the running part was true, he had thanked his sponsor a great deal when he had been forced to run the grounds and build up endurance.

Doing a quick look around the Pits, Titus mapped out a path. “Come on, Re…. Ethan, you want to live forever?!” Titus took off at a light jog for him, for others the pace was usually a little bit more speed than what they were accustomed to. Titus jogged for the exit out of the pits and ran up the stairs with Ethan trying to dogging jog after him. As he got up the stairs, he began to do side step’s shuffling to the next pit. Down he went jogging across the pit, seeing a brick slightly out of place he hopped up and grabbed the edge of it with his fingers and did five chin ups as Ethan arrived at the place to jump up and attempt the same thing. For Ethan, his arms had the strength to lift, but his fingers as he gripped the stone seemed to shake and want to release after the three chin up. Titus was naturally jogging in place and wished that he had other people following Ethan as he would force them to jog in place as well. Once Ethan was done, Titus waved Ethan onward, in between running up and down stairs Titus had Ethan do pushups and sit ups on benches. Halfway through the fourth circuit, Ethan stopped and began to vomit from body exhaustion. Titus kept running in place knowing that this was the moment to see if his friend's character was ready to continue or call it quits. As Ethan stood bent looking down in the mess he just made, his body was screaming to stop, his side had been cramping since the second circuit and he felt like his heart was going to beat out of his chest. Yet when Ethan looked up and saw the look in Titus face, his mind realized that as strange as it was, he was doing this because Titus viewed Ethan as a friend. Somehow that was just enough for Ethan to stand up straight and put one foot in front of another. Titus turned without saying a word and kept running the rest of the circuit, but when Ethan was out of sight a slight smile came to his lips.

As they finished up the circuit, Titus realized that it had been a nice three mile run. Not too bad, Ethan had made it a little over the halfway point for a standard run. Titus allowed Ethan to take a break for lunch, as he went over to drink some water. The two sat for a moment, allowing Ethan to catch his breath and get rested, quite a few muscles were sore, some that even Ethan didn’t know existed.

For the rest of the day, Titus made Ethan run through the basic combo he had taught him. Correcting little errors here and there, when Ethan seemed to be mechanically doing it and losing his focus, Titus changed up the sequence or shorten it so that Ethan would constantly be focused on his hands or feet. By the end of the day Ethan wasn’t sure if he could walk back to his apartment, but he did feel good about his progress.
Ethan Ironhorse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on September 6th, 2013, 2:04 pm

"Good job! Good job, Ethan!" Titus sat beside the resting blacksmith. Syna had begin to fall in the fighter's pits. The Knight exhaled and picked up a cloth to rub his sweat. "I'm impressed! You have talents, Ethan!" Titus resorted to just call him "Ethan" because the blacksmith seemed to like it that way.

He patted Ethan's shoulder, perhaps a little too strong for Ethan's exhausted body "Now! After a good day of training! Let's grab some ale! To the Stallion it is!" He didn't even wait for the Blacksmith'ts reply and immediately stood up "I'll treat you some drinks! Hahahaha!". Large steps stomping, the tall knight made his way to his favorite tavern, gesturing for Ethan to follow.

OOCAlright! This should be my last post for the thread. :D Post your last reply and I'll give you your grades. ;)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ethan Ironhorse on September 6th, 2013, 4:12 pm

As Titus struck Ethan’s shoulder he winced slightly. The Knight looked like he could run another twenty circuits and then go to the tavern because he was a bit thirsty. Laughing, Ethan got up and with each step felt his legs tremble. After a little ways Ethan was able to catch up with Titus and smile a laugh a little bit. Even his fingers hurt, in fact the only thing on Ethan that didn’t hurt was his hair… and he wasn’t completely sure that the rest of his pains weren’t just covering up that pain. “You know Ser Titus, I am going to order a meal as well, and if we break bread together it’s the oldest sign of friendship.”

Ethan looked thoughtful for a moment, “Though I have to admit, I wouldn’t have completed the rest of the circuit if I didn’t consider you a friend already.” Ethan shook his head. “I guess the things I will do for my friends are more than what I would do for myself. Well, I suppose the first drinks will be raised in honor of you; To Ser Titus! A good and honorable man, he can punish a man’s body but give balm to a man’s soul! To My Friend!” Ethan then looked at Ser Titus reaction, he smiled, “Of course, it might sound more like this; To Ser Titus, May he punish the recruits more than he did me this day!” Ethan smiled, and felt better. It was going to be a long night at the Rearing Stallion, and then in the morning he needed to go to the Soothing Waters and then find some leather armor.
Ethan Ironhorse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Radiant on September 7th, 2013, 12:42 am

Ethan :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +1 XP
Rhetoric +2 XP
Unarmed Combat +3 XP
Acrobatics +1 XP
Running +2 XP
Body Building +2 XP
Endurance +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Ser Titus' Drillus Maximus
Friend Of A Knight
Combat: No Fairness In Life And Death Situation
Unarmed Combat: Basic Maneuvers And Blocking
Unarmed Combat: Basic Combo And Follow-Ups
Surviving Ser Titus' Training

Loots

Notes :
Alright, Ethan! Good job on the very descriptive reply there. ;) I awarded you lots of XPs for it. :D

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes