Wandering Mizahar

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Tani on September 11th, 2013, 4:27 am

Hello folks,

I'm planning to have Tani do some wandering between a site in the Cobalt Mountains and the Sea of Grass this season; however, I'm a little lost as to how long that sort of journey would take, webbing-related difficulties aside.

Is there anywhere I could find a list of travel times or distances to avoid creating too many holes in reality?

Thanks to Arundel for the awesome post template!
Tani
Law of the Jungle.

Words: 50129
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Edelweiss on September 11th, 2013, 5:44 pm

I think you might want to go to the Help desk for this if you want a mod opinion which is a good one to have for a really big question. XD

I am in a similar situation but I am doing it by a month RL time in each region to travel to the next one. Safest way I could think of because if someone doesn't stop in every town and cuts through they can get to places quiet quickly. Then again, there are skills for travailing. Land Navigation, Wilderness Survival, Observation. I believe these skills are much needed for anyone who's going to travel that far. You might look up prices for traveling; rent a coach to take your character there. Then skills won’t be counted on for speed or survivability away from the cities and their protection.
Edelweiss
Small and white, clean and bright

Words: 26858
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2013, 4:19 pm
Character sheet

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Kit Rowan on September 11th, 2013, 7:12 pm

x
I would suggest you NOT take this to the help desk without going up the chain of command first. An ST of your local city first, if they don't have the answer the DS of your local city, if they don't have the answer then the RS of your local region, and then either take it to a founder or the help desk . . . but chances are by that point one of those storytellers who doesn't know the answer is going to go 'Hm. I'll get back to you' and go up the chain themselves, so the chance of you actually being sent to the help desk for something like this is pretty much nil.

Second of all, traveling around is a pain. I have seen it written that it takes a horse thirty days at a gallop to cross between Zeltiva and Syliras, and there is a clear paved road between the two! And that isn't taking in thoughts of food. Can you hunt for yourself? Can you cook your food? Can you fend off the ravenous beasts of the night long enough to stay safe? Alone usually the answer to 'I am going to travel' is 'you starve and/or are eaten by wild things' unless you have high wilderness survival, a source of food to sustain you and some offensive skill to keep the monsters off your back.

A straight answer to your question? Ask your local STs, they will know. But my knee-jerk response is 'be absolutely certain you understand the kind of dangers that prey on travels in Mizahar are before you go ahead with this.'
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Tani on September 11th, 2013, 10:26 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies. I'll certainly be sure to poke the powers that be beforehand to straighten things out. I wasn't planning to travel alone, so I'm not anticipating dying out in the Grasslands. Close calls, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter.

In any event, it's certainly something that merits a bit more thought.

Thanks to Arundel for the awesome post template!
Tani
Law of the Jungle.

Words: 50129
Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Gossamer on September 11th, 2013, 11:34 pm

An IRL month in between regions it's seriously moving way to fast. Some will take a full season. Some...like Kalea...you can't cross.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Eanos on September 13th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Gossamer wrote:Some...like Kalea...you can't cross.

Which reminds me, if I may ask? How do you get to the trading outposts for Sultros so that you can then access the city? It's a journey I intend to make at some point.

Thanks.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Alea Davenport on September 13th, 2013, 2:50 pm

The lore describe those trading posts as being in the "foothills" of the Kitrean mountains. To my understanding, it is the mountains that are impossible to cross (above ground anyway, unless you can fly). I imagine the foothills would be slightly more accessible. For a more certain and detailed answer, I would recommend either PMing Gillar, or asking your question in this Isur-specific questions thread.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Wandering Mizahar

Postby Eanos on September 13th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Thank you :) I tend to avoid asking things of Gillar as answers are either immediate or months in coming - and this one was a general geography question as I've no issues about how to get into Sultros from the outposts.
Eanos
Overgiven Magesmith

Words: 443521
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)