[Flashback] Squire to Knight: the Quest; Part One (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby John Griffin on August 1st, 2010, 11:00 am

Early Morning, 13th of Summer, 508 AV
John Griffin’s room

John’s body was still rushing with excitement. He had hardly been able to sleep the previous night, his mind awake and racing with thoughts of his quest, his future as a knight, and many other things. Morning had not come soon enough. He had woken early and begun packing for his journey, preparing only the necessities. It wasn’t as if he was moving to Zeltiva. Just the long journey there, which would take him roughly half of the fall, probably a few days to find the journal, and another half season of travel back to Syliras. He’d be gone just over a season. Two at the most. And then, he thought fondly, I'll be a knight! Years of practice and study, finally come to fruition.

William had stopped by to wish him luck earlier, giving some advice and helpful tips. “Don’t be too trusting. Zeltiva is no Sunberth, but neither is it Syliras. The natives are not likely to be as helpful or as friendly as the people here,” the old knight had said. He had clapped John on the shoulder, wished him luck, and left, leaving the squire to finish his preparations.

His father managed to come by as well. He gave him no advice, but simply said, "My son, it is time for you to become a man, and a knight. Go, and do your duty. And know that I am proud of you." With no more words Robert gave his son a hug and shuffled out the door, leaning on the wall for support. An unseen tear fell from the older man's face and splashed on the stones of the floor as he closed the door behind him.

John checked and double-checked his gear and with a backpack filled with food and some clothes, a borrowed sword on his hip, and a grin on his face, John set out from Syliras just as the Sun was fully past the horizon. His destiny await him in Zeltiva.
Last edited by John Griffin on November 28th, 2010, 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 1st, 2010, 11:22 am

Late Afternoon, 13th of Summer, 508 AV
The Road to Zeltiva

John had been walking for several hours now. He had lucked out during his departure, and left the city at the same time as a small merchant caravan of about two dozen men and women, leading eight large carts, each pulled by a duo of mules. They had stricken up conversation with him and, upon learning that he was also headed to Zeltiva, and eyeing his borrowed sword, had invited him to journey with them, spouting safety in numbers. He had been more than inclined to agree, and had gladly accepted their invitation.

His feet were aching. He had done some walking and running in his time, but miles and miles with little rest did a number on an unaccustomed foot. Once or twice he had eyed the carts longingly, but there was no room for passengers, only the driver. He would simply have to tough it out. As a knight should, he thought, chastising himself for his weakness. If Syliras ever went to war he might have to walk longer carrying more. Even as a knight he could not rely on squires, pages, or horses to necessarily carry his equipment. That could be upwards of sixty to eighty pounds of gear. He shuddered slightly, dreading the possibility. He wasn't much of a horseman, but it would be worth it if it kept him from making such a trek.

To distract himself from the uncomfortable journey, John started a conversation with a someone pleasant looking girl, probably about his age, maybe a year older. Her name was Karen, and her father was a guard for the caravan. She pointed him out, and the man turned out to be a beastly man with only one arm, the other ending in a stub just below the elbow. One-armed or not, it didn't seem to hinder the man any. He had a vicious looking hand ax tucked into his belt, and wore studded leather armor and a scowl on his face. John hoped that the man wouldn't mind him talking to Karen, he didn't seem like the friendliest of sorts.

The first day of the journey ended without any incident, and the father, Lyle, barely spared John a glance, let alone a word. The young squire stayed up several hours past dark talking with Karen about their lives, telling her of his training with the Order, and hearing about the journeys she had been on with her father. The two shared something of a moment when they spoke of their mothers. Both had died years ago when their children were young. After the tender event, Karen bid him good night and went over to the guard's area to sleep. John, not having brought any sort of sleeping gear, slept on the ground, his backpack nestled under his head.

He drifted off to sleep and dreamed of a one-armed ax murderer.
Last edited by John Griffin on November 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 4th, 2010, 8:19 am

Mid Morning, 16th of Summer, 508 AV
The Road to Zeltiva

John was road weary. He'd spent a good deal of time walking, but never so much at one time. His feet hurt, his knees hurt, and his back was sore. His arms were even tired. The previous day one of the carts had broken an axle. The merchants, mostly fat and lazy, had refused to do anything, instead making their hired muscle do the work. John, wanting to get on with things, and feeling bad just standing there, had lent a hand. How could he just stand by when a one armed man was helping? The fact that that very man could probably kill him easily, and was far from helpless never quite crossed his mind. Instead he had jumped on the end of one of the levers being used to hold up the cart, and put his arms and back into it.

As much as John hated walking, he realized he'd have to get used to it. Syliras going to war excluded, he knew he would still have much foot travel to do. He was not wealthy by any means, and would not be able to afford a horse until at least a season into his knighthood. As he put one foot in front of the other, his mind wandered. One day he wanted to travel the entirety of Mizahar. Maybe not visit every city, but an epic trek filled with quests and adventures sounded great. Except for all the walking, John thought as reality hit. He needed to get a horse, as awkward as they were to ride.

"Hey John!" came a voice from behind him, pulling the young squire from his daydreaming. He turned to see Karen jogging towards him, a smile on her face. "So what, are you ignoring me now or something?" she teased. He had been talking less with her since his dream about the one-armed murderer.

"Eh, not really. It's just..." John glanced at Lyle, then back to Karen. "Well, it's your father. I don't think he likes me, and it makes me uncomfortable."

Karen laughed. "My pa just puts on a tough appearance. Inside he's soft and cuddly, though he'd never admit it."

John laughed too, "I just don't see how he could possibly be soft and cuddly."

She met his eyes with hers, "Stick around long enough and you might just see that side of him."

He returned the gaze, "I'd like that."

They left certain things unsaid, though both felt the romantic tension keenly. The conversation turned to other topics, and lasted long into the evening.
Last edited by John Griffin on November 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 5th, 2010, 5:38 am

Noon, 20th of Summer, 508 AV
The Road to Zeltiva

Their lips brushed, then pressed together for a brief but magnificent moment. It was wonderful, and John's first kiss. Karen pulled away, and John opened his eyes. She was smiling, and blushing even though she had instigated it! He smiled too. Was this love? He didn't think so, but it certainly might blossom into such. He smiled all the bigger. He was at ease with Karen, something he'd never really felt before with a girl. Sure, he had female friends, but they weren't...like this. The closest of his female friends was his cousin Sara, and that was obviously platonic.

"Why are you smiling?" asked Karen, giggling as she did so.

"Because you are." He blushed. "And because that was great."

"What was? This?" she leaned in again and kissed him. John's eyes drooped close and he kissed back. She pulled away.

"Precisely," he said, his eyes open again.

The pair sat under a small oak some distance from the caravan's main camp. The traveling party had stopped about an hour ago to rest and water the horses, as well as break bread for lunch. Karen had grabbed his hand and pulled him away towards the tree at a skip. John had caught Lyle's eye for just a moment, and actually thought he saw a smile in the corner of the man's mouth.

They had sat on the far side of the oak, to keep away from prying eyes, and broken bread together. Karen had ripped off a few pieces of the loaf and popped them into his mouth, then opened her own mouth. John tore a few pieces as well and flicked them into her mouth. They finished the bread quickly this way, then started talking about picnics and food. Karen had asked John to close his eyes for a surprise, then she had kissed him.

Karen giggled again. "I'm glad you liked it. If you're good you can get more of those."

John's absolutely beamed, "I'll be good."
Last edited by John Griffin on November 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 8th, 2010, 7:36 am

Late Morning, 37th of Summer, 508 AV
The Road to Zeltiva

OOCFor anybody that's reading this, I edited the second post to reflect just how long it would actually take to walk to Zeltiva. My previous number was extremely low.

John had been on the road twenty four days, not including today. His backpack no longer felt like a burden, and his feet didn't ache anymore. Mostly, he couldn't even feel his feet. The caravan was making decent time. John could have traveled faster alone, but it would be more dangerous, and he didn't exactly have plentiful supplies. As it was he was purchasing food from the merchants, though at a discounted rate. Likely the realized he might march ahead on his own if the prices were too steep, and they valued the extra sword arm. Especially since it cost them less than hiring another actual guard.

The company was the main reason he went at the slower pace. The company of Karen, to be precise. His relationship with her had budded into a full blown romance. When they passed other caravans on the road, they were introduced as a couple as often as not. He had even supped with both Karen and Lyle, though the contact and the conversation was kept to a minimum. Usually the two found a tree to nestle under, and laughed, joked and teased with each other.

But they were nearing Zeltiva, and John had no idea what that held for the two of them. He had a duty to uphold; and though that duty didn't require he have no family, he was not sure how Karen would take to such a life. She had grown up traveling with her father, and would not lightly put such aside, he was sure of it. Time would tell.
Last edited by John Griffin on November 28th, 2010, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 9th, 2010, 1:55 pm

Late Afternoon, 50th of Summer, 508 AV
The Road to Zeltiva

Five days. Earlier that morning Lyle told him they were five days out from Zeltiva. John yearned for this leg of the trip to be over. He might even stay in Zeltiva a little extra, just to keep from being back on the road too soon. He dismissed the thought. Every day delayed was another day he put off his sworn duty to the Syliran Knights. He would do so only for the most extreme of circumstances.

Is Karen such a circumstance? he wondered. He was all but in love with her, forty-seven days on the road with her. He knew he was smitten. The two got along fantastically, as if they had been best friends for years. John was considering asking her to return to Syliras with him once he was done in Zeltiva.

Yelling broke John from his thoughts. Something was going on ahead. A woman screamed. John tore his sword from its scabbard, preparing his naked steel for the worst. He ran forward, towards the commotion. There was more yelling, but it was hard to make out the words. He ran harder, blade flashing in the sunlight.

"...Knight!..." he heard. They were calling for him! The familiar sound of steel on steel rang through the air for a few brief moments, then stopped. More yelling.

Finally John arrived to the front of the caravan. Two guards were bleeding from minor wounds, and Lyle was watching several armed men flee.

"What happened?" asked the young squire.

The one-armed man looked at John and replied, "Bandits," before tucking his ax into his belt. There was blood on it, and a trail of crimson droplets leading away, in the direction of the fleeing men.

Later John was filled in on the details by the driver of the first cart. They had been moving along when six armed men had rushed out of the bushes and blocked the road. The bandits had demanded they leave their carts and flee back the way they came. Quite to the contrary, Lyle had rushed the men, wounding one seriously before the other five, and the three guards present, could join the fray.

One of the guards had started to yell for John, telling someone to 'Get the knight!' John smirked when he heard this, not bothering to mention he was just a squire. The bandits had broken off when they heard that, several of them wounded, and not wanting to face a fully armored knight.

While he wished he had been there, John was glad that he could help, if somewhat indirectly. A shame though, it would have been good to finally test my skills, he thought naively.

That night he dreamed of himself battling enemies heroically, clad in steel and atop a snow white warhorse.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby John Griffin on August 14th, 2010, 9:48 am

Noon, 56th of Summer, 508 AV
A few miles outside Zeltiva

Dust kicked up from the road as John walked, his boots thumping on the ground. Wagons creaked, horses neighed, and conversations mingled into the overarching sound present in the background of a merchant caravan. The borrowed steel at John's hip thumped rhythmically against his upper thigh, something he had long since gotten used to. His hands were wrapped around the straps of his pack, his eyes up, looking down the road. He led the entire caravan, his stride opening up and propelling him faster as the port city had come into view.

Zeltiva. Who knew what awaited him there? Besides the journal of Egeldan Mirithar. John's spirit was soaring. The previous night he had found out from Karen that she would be staying in the city for several months, since her father had gotten a semi-permanent job with one of the merchants, doing guard work. That meant she would still be around when he had worked up the nerve to ask her to return to Syliras with him. If all went well, the two would be on their way back within ten days.

The city grew closer and closer as time went on, John putting more distance between himself and the rest of the caravan. Soon the familiar smell of salt air was carried to his nostrils, and he took it in. His paced quickened even more, almost to a jog.

Finally he made it to the closest building, and John stopped. Zeltiva. He was there. It was time to find his destiny.

End of Part OneSo ends part one. Look for part two in a couple days in the Zeltiva forum, if you're interested.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Leviathan on August 17th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Thread Award!

John Griffin
Exp +1 Wilderness Survival, +1 Flirtation, +1 Seduction
Lore Tales of Travel, Painful Lessons: Walking, Seventy Days in the Arms of Love

Additional Comments I am anxious to know what happens with Karen! I wanna know more! Sorry it took a little longer to get to this than usual. I have no excuses than laziness really. I apologize. If you have questions or comments, feel free to PM me.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook