Of hope and Prosperity [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Leo on August 4th, 2010, 3:31 am

|11 Summer, 510 AV|

It had been many, many seasons since Leo had first set foot from his home lands, and many more since he had had any interaction with Humans. But as he made his way through the city of Syliras, he began notice the place was swarming with them. Unable to help it, he began contemplating turning around all-together.

But he need somewhere to lay his head down for a moment, and restock at the very least. He had left with nothing but his tools of war, and to be honest his wilderness survival skills were minimal to say the least.

Carefully un-slinging his snake spear from his back, he help it lowered in his left hand. He wielded it in such a way that made it clear there was no hostility behind it, but that he was ready for the worst. As always he wanted no trouble, and with any luck he would receive none in return. Rather than walk directly through the masses, probably smashing poor pedestrians down in his wake - he slowed down to a crawl as he wandered into the bustling streets.

Doing his best to go by unnoticed he began to stealth his way around the passing carts and flurries of civilians. To the outside viewer, his attempt to be stealth must have been a truly comical sight! If noticed he knew he would present an opposing sight to say the least, and as he had learned in his youth - with humans combat was sometimes inevitable.

-------
Skills being used: Spear, Snake | Stealth
Leo
Wandering Squishy of Wisdom

Words: 7531
Joined roleplay: August 3rd, 2010, 4:51 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on August 4th, 2010, 6:57 am

Another day, more work. Rhuryc had spent so much time in the forge as of late that he had almost forgotten what the sun looked like. Almost. His master had summarily kicked him out after a quick recall of the last few days and gave the apprentice a day off. Two, actually. While he was grateful for the rest, Rhuryc found himself within the common affliction of boredom. With nothing to eat up ten hours of his day the young man was left to wander. At first he had tried to practice some of his regular sword play, but there never remained a good place to do so while inside the city. Next he surveyed the bazaar. One could only stare at overpriced goods for so long. So it was that Rhuryc began to wander the streets aimlessly, without intention in the hopes that some strange mystery would reveal itself.

And how the fates delivered.

Monkey. Man. Ape? Apeman. Armored, armed, and ready to brawl it seemed, Rhuryc watched the individual as he - she? - made his way from one hiding spot the next, failing miserably to conceal himself in any fashion. At all. The sight was an amusing one if anything. Humored, Rhuryc decided he would watch for some time, his step turning to follow the ape being all while the rest of the peasantry seemed to ignore him. Well, a few stared, but none took such an interest as the blacksmith. With his hands deep in the pockets of his long, leather coat, Rhuryc stayed just far enough behind to keep from notice, the usual clack of his boots kept hidden with the usual chatter of the environment.

After some time Rhuryc decided his fun was over. With a grin, he removed a hand from his coat and hooked to his belt - close to the blade belted to his waist, but far enough to mean no harm. He approached without any means to stealth his intentions and stopped behind the creature, still amused. His eyes were lit with a subtle curiosity, one that required satisfaction.

"You don't blend in very well, friend. Trying to avoid the guard are we?" Rhuryc's thick baritone cut through the idle noise from the streets like a knife. Neat trick, that.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Leo on August 4th, 2010, 7:51 am

Whipping around abruptly from surprise, Leo's shield seemingly materialized onto his arm; while his spear found itself within its harness once more. Before him stood a worn looking man, human in all respects, but exceptionally tall for his race. In his frantic twirl to defend himself, Leo had only heard part of what the man had said to him, but he had gathered the word “friend” and something about his stealth skills being lacking.

Razing himself up onto the balls of his toes, Leo balanced himself out to make as little noise with each step as possible – making his best attempt at stealth. Cringing slightly as the ground crackled underneath his massive size, he made a mental note to roll his foot with each step; from now on. Lowering his shield to about the height of the mans shoulders, Leo spoke above its glistening teeth and many rows of spikes. A beautiful defense, and weapon in times of need - the silver shield was a sight to behold.

“I mean you no harm, I'm simply looking for some work to buy provisions, and then passing through..” He explained

He assumed the man interpreted his sneaking as an act of hostility, or worse.. and so Leo poured as much charisma into his words as he could muster; and had attempted to negotiate his way out of conflict. Whether it worked or not had yet to be seen.

Remembering the man had said something about him trying to blend in, Leo lowered his shield to more a lax position. Even relaxed and lowered, the shield still rested at about the mans abdomen height.

“As for me blending in, I figure the best way to go un-noticed, is to walk as though detection means conflict. ..and these days, conflict seems to be around every corner. Practice makes perfect after all.” He explained

-------
Skills being used: Negotiation | Stealth
Leo

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on August 4th, 2010, 8:05 am

Rhuryc watched an amused expression. Had they been in the wilderness, at odds, the man would have feared for his life - such a creature would not be one he wished to fight. The sheer size and strength he possessed was unheard of, to him anyway. Nevertheless, inside the walls of Syliras any blatant combat would be put down like an unruly step-child. Thus, Rhuryc grinned and allowed for Leo to go through the motions of his defense. His shield was nice, he admitted, and those teeth would make any physical contact an assured end. Curious. Rhuryc already liked this creature, this apeman, whatever he was, and he thusly deemed he would see to his welcomed stay while within the city. After all, who else was going to? Several civilians had already given Leo a wide berth.

"And I mean none to you, friend." Rhuryc used the title again, doing what he could to calm his acquaintance. The last thing he wanted was to have that shield in his face. "You're in Syliras, you have no need to worry about conflict. The Knights keep the piece, so long as you go around swinging that," he pointed at both the shield at the spear, "You'll do fine." A friendly chuckle escaped the young man's lips and he took a step in, his hands going out to each side of his body in an attempt to appear peaceful.

"You have no worries here. I'm Rhuryc," The man bowed his head in a slight fashion as a means of respect. "And if you'd like I can show you around, perhaps guide you to those provisions?" A kind gesture if any, Rhuryc was concerned that without some kind of company that this being might just go and get himself in trouble. It was the least he could do. And he fully intended to plug Leo for as much information as he was willing to share.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Leo on August 4th, 2010, 10:39 pm

Nodding at Rhuryc's comment about the knights, and his equipment - Leo slung the shield over his shoulder once more. Smiling, he held out two massive fingers, in an obvious offering to shake hands. Once the handshake was said and done, Leo reached under his armor for his coin purse while speaking.

“..as for provisions, all I have is ten gold miza. They're about three hundred years old, so I hope they're still worth something. You may have them if you'll help me find free lodging and some work.. consider it an investment, and I shall refuse to keep it if you kindly refuse the money! Perhaps if you have room, I could stay with you till we figure something out? I don't wish to burden you with my presence though..” He explained smiling

Dropping the coin purse at Rhuryc's feet, Leo gestured to the knights up on the parapets and spoke.

“So your saying this city is kept violence free due to them? I can't tell you how unexpected that is, forgive me if I'm still weary.. I made the mistake of wandering into the human establishment of Sunberm when I was a boy, back when my kind was hunted for sport. Call me a racist if you will, but over the years I have seen human's rise, go to war, change leadership and then fall – all within the blink of an eye.. Your's is a persistent race though, I'll give you that much. But if this is indeed the home of peace, may the gods permit it to thrive a little longer than a blink! Maybe two blinks?” He said chuckling

Still on his tippy-toes, Leo turned and looked down one alley way, and then the next. Looking around for several moments, he soon decided that he hadn't a clue which direction to go. Turning back to Rhuryc, he crept t words him and spoke.

“I've decided that I haven't a clue where to go... I think I'll just follow you, if you don't mind.” Leo explained

-------
Leo

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on August 5th, 2010, 7:41 am

Rhuryc canted his head to the side as he listened. The apeman surely liked to talk a lot. Too much, maybe. Nevertheless he did his best to remain polite, taking each word as it came and giving the just due of examination. Or contemplation. Whatever one called it, the young man considered Leo's words and muled them over, taking them apart for as much information as he could gleam. He was old, apparently, much older than anyone Rhuryc had ever met, and he was woefully ignorant of the local area. At least that was one problem he was able to solve.

"Free lodging might be an issue," Rhuryc started, a hand coming up to rub the back of his head. He fluffed the semi-long blond mass while he thought. What kind of work would a giant apeman appreciate? "But ah, come on, we'll talk as we walk. I'll take you to the bazaar." With a wide stride, for he imagined such steps to be necessary to keep pace with Leo, Rhuryc started off toward the main market of Syliras. The cavernous bazaar would fit the being, sure, but the pathways leading to it might have been an issue. With that in mind the young man took a round-about way, doing what he could to make the journey as painless as possible. Too bad there was nothing to do about those stares. The peasantry always reacted strangely to rare species. Especially big monkeys. In armor.

"I suppose you could stay with me, but there's not much room." He started agian, his thick baritone seemingly distracted. He was more involved with guiding their path than conversation. "Hovel of a place, really, but I'll offer the invitation if you can't find anything better. As far as work goes. Well." Rhuryc paused as he turned a corner and took a few steps down a flight of stairs. The bazaar was just ahead.

"What can you do?"
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Leo on August 7th, 2010, 9:06 pm

Leo followed Rhuryc through the streets and listened to his explanation as far as housing would go. Shrugging, he remembered his lavish home in the forests, his home that he left behind. For the first time since he had left it hit him square in the face – he was homeless.

Patting Rhuryc softly on the shoulder, Leo spoke.

“Your place is more than acceptable, especially since I've spent the last several months in the wilderness.” He explained

He paused as Rhuryc asked what he could do. He thought for several moments before speaking.

“Well.. I can kill things, but I'd rather be a body guard or tutor in spear usage.” He explained

While he was indeed skilled at killing things, he would much rather look intimidating or educate the less skilled. Speaking of the less skilled, Leo looked down at his feet and took several tentative steps. Carefully, he watched as the earth beneath his feet squeezed through his toes. Taking a few steps more, attempting to ease his weight as much as he could with each step.

-------
Skills being used: Stealth
Leo

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on August 8th, 2010, 2:09 am

A quick turn brought both Leo and his guide toward a downward staircase. Most of the people crowd parted when they saw the Jamoura, not willing to get in the way. Hell, most of them thought Rhuryc was large. Still in the lead, the man made his way down before stepping into the cavernous basement that was the bazaar. The usual taunts and jeers filled his ears, melding with the strange sights and scents, all meshed into one, unique chorus of cacophony. For anyone not from Syliras their first visit into the markets could be a unique, and sometimes terrifying, experience. Rhuryc remained immune to the charms of the vendors and their myriad of stalls. Being a local had its advantages. He altered their trek away from the entrance and towards the sort of provisions he assumed Leo sought. Food.

"I can take you to the employment center if you want. They might be able to find you some suitable work. Who knows? I might even take you up on that offer of training." Except for the fact that Rhuryc did not own a spear. Well. All the better! Perhaps they would employ the old fashion use of sticks. When the man finally came to a stop he gave the peddler in question a subtle grin, tying his best to keep the vendor from skittering away. Gorilla humans were just a tad uncommon.

"I could pay you. Not too well, mind, but maybe get you on your feet. So to speak."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Leo on August 9th, 2010, 10:13 am

Leo followed his new friend through teh numuorus stalls and vendors. As they got deeper and deeper into bazaar Leo got encreasingly nervous. Tapping Rhuryc on teh shoulder lightly, he spoke.

"Um.. can we please get out of here? This place is far to busy for my taste.. As for what I'd like to do, hmn." He explained

Rolling to a stop, Leo made a concious effort to crawl to a stop - attempting to make as little noise as humanly possible. No pun intended fo course. Rubbing his chin for a moment, he spoke once more.

"Well Rhuryc sir. I think I'd like to drop by teh employment office and apply for work. They perhaps I could stay with you for a couple days, and train you in spear usage while I wait to know if I am employed?" He asked

As far as payment went, Leo would be more than happy to tutor Rhuryc for free, but money was nice after all..

-------
Leo

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on August 9th, 2010, 10:42 am

"Hm?" Rhuryc glanced over his shoulder at the Jamoura with a furrowed brow. Too much, he figured. In an easy fashion the man waved the confused merchant off and turned about on a heel, his path bringing him back the way the two had come. There was little more say on the matter. At one point even Rhuryc felt uneasy surrounded by the crowds and, with so many curious stares, Leo must have been paranoid at every step. Rhuryc caught ape-man, thing - the subject of just what he was remained in question - trying to hide himself as they moved, almost as if he believed that with silent enough steps his presence would fade to shadow. Doubtful, but worth the effort. A straight, quick route brought the two back to the staircase where they made their way back into the open air of the city, no longer stiffened by the crowded, cluttered markets. Rhuryc much preferred the bazaar.

"Sorry about that. The Bazaar can be overwhelming your first time. Maybe once you've adjusted yourself to the city." Those last words held no possible result, but Rhuryc appeared to understand his own meaning. He continued, if hastily, taking the Jamoura's words in stride. "There's not a whole lot of waiting involved. Here," And the man was off again. He ducked around an incoming gaggle of men, stemming his trek through the current of the usual city traffic. "Follow me." A wave over his shoulder motioned Leo on.

The journey from there was a short one. With Rhuryc's unyielding knowledge of the city streets he avoided a great deal of the civilized inhabitants before he came out near the gates. The comings and goings - mostly comings - were in full bloom now that the morning had begun to turn towards noon. With Leo in tow, the man skirted a few more paths and stopped in front of what was fondly known as the "Employment Office and Welcome Center". He gestured to the building and bobbed his head, his hands idly slipping into his pockets in some queer form of satisfaction.

"They can probably set you up with a place on traveler's row. It'd be better than the floor of my apartment. S'awfully small. Anyway. You can tend to this part yourself I imagine." Rhuryc glanced over his shoulder at the apeman - he had in fact decided that apeman was the appropriate term - and gave him a curt nod. "I myself need to be off to work. Pay and all that. If you need me you should come over to the Ironworks."

OOCYou should probably make a post at the actual location in the link, unless you want a mod to come in and handle this thread. It doesn't matter to me which you choose, but Rhuryc can stay or go depending.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next