[Syliras Location] Welcome Center/Employment Office

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Dusk on April 17th, 2010, 6:39 am

The Welcome Center is located just inside the Main Gate, easily pointed out by the Knights who greet newcomers and visible to whoever might wander by. It's the best place for people who are new to the city and need directions, or have moved to Syliras and need employment. It even has a separate section for odd jobs in case those just passing through need a bit of coin. Nearly all the businesses in Syliras and Stormhold Castle use the Welcome Center to find employees, knowing it to be one of the best and most efficient ways to find who they're looking for.

The office is run by Priest Amitabh Djotama, a man whose very countenance says quite clearly You don't have gainful employment? Well. That just won't do. He founded the Welcome Center as a way to help organize the myriad people who came through Syliras at any time, and made use of one of the more unwanted buildings - because everything should have a purpose. The office itself is on the corner of a building, with three floors and narrow spiral stairs between them, and though each floor is small the space is impeccably used to best advantage. All one must do is enter and give their name and purpose to the smiling secretary and all their needs will be seen to.

OOC Note on Posting HereWhen making your first post here, please make the assumption that you are going to be asked what job you're interested in and how long you'll be in Syliras. It seems everyone just walks in and says "I'd like a job" and that's always my first response, and after typing it fifteen times I'd like to suggest we just preempt it. :)

NPC :
ImageAmitabh Djotama

Amitabh is a Priest of Gnora, and as such a de facto member of The Ano Cult. He has always agreed with the tenants of Gnora's teaching, that emotion should be removed from the equation when it interferes with order and balance. Even so, he has often quarreled with others of his order over how much one should interfere in order to gain the nebulous goal of balance. He is one of the few who feel that the world is too complex to rightly judge how his actions might affect the whole of the world, how a decision he makes to intervene in a situation or allow it to play out might change the face of Mizahar. As such, he has turned down many assignments given to him by the Ano Cult and so rarely wears the veil of Counterweight that is his by right. Were it not for the patterns of bone visible beneath the skin of his arms (and his left leg, were anyone to look) it would be hard to tell that he still served the cult at all. His connection to Gnora, though, is in the control of both voice and hand, in the calm way he deals with every problem, and in the way he can use a single word to nudge a person into the direction they need to go.

Skill List
Organization: 85 pts
Intelligence: 70 pts
Interrogation: 45 pts
Writing: 35 pts

Gnosis
Severing: Level 3

ImageTrega Braklin

Thrice widowed by the Knighthood before she was forty, Trega has spent the last twenty years working at various positions within the city to help its inhabitants. She has been with Amitabh for the last six years, and is one of the most knowledgeable people in all of Syliras as far as the ins and outs of the city itself.

Skill List
Intelligence: 63 pts
Organization: 55 pts
Leadership: 20 pts
Cooking: 18 pts

Lores
Geography of Syliras (expert)
People of Syliras (expert)
Syliran Knights (expert)

This location is moderated by Dusk and Chevalier
Last edited by Dusk on May 18th, 2010, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Aleath on April 18th, 2010, 7:15 am

42 Day of Spring 510 AV

Aleath finally arrived to a big building, as one of the merchants in Stormhold Castle directed her here. She stopped at the door and looked up at the three floor building. She decided even before entering the city, that she would stay here for a while, so it was important for her to find something to do. Preferably for some money.

She entered the building, but her dog stayed outside, because she thought that it would be inappropriate for him to enter. This was an authoritative building after all.

Aleath came towards a secretary sitting there and smiled nervously at her.

"Hello, my name is Aleath and I was told, that I would find an employment here."

Character sheet Scrapbook
Aleath
Player

Words: 37223
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2010, 2:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet

Postby Dusk on April 18th, 2010, 7:34 am

Aleath

ImageThe woman behind the desk looked up, chestnut curls bouncing as she straightened up from the ledger beside her and grinned widely. "Hello!" she said, something utterly charming and completely unthreatening about her - she was like everyone's kid sister. "Hi! Aleath? It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Aenysa," she said, popping out of her chair to offer her hand. "Wecome to Syliras! I love new people," she said, a little more lowly as if she'd been told to keep her enthusiasm down to manageable levels and couldn't quite manage it.

"Sit, sit," she said, waving Aleath into the chair across from her. "I'm usually a greeter, but I'm filling in today. Oh, but don't worry, I can totally help you," she said with another bright smile. "So. Let's start with basics. You know, how long are you going to be in the city, what kind of jobs have you done before, what kinds of skills do you have, that sort of thing," she said, cracking open a ledger and grabbing a quill to take notes with.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Aleath on April 18th, 2010, 8:07 am

When the woman looked up, Aleath could look at her more carefully. She was very sympathetic and her enthusiastic mood effected Aleath.

"I'm pleased to meet you, Aenysa. Well, I don't know precisely how long I will stay, but I think maybe one or two months. Maybe longer."

Aleath shrugged and looked at Aenysa apologetically. She hoped that she gave her enough information. She continued.

"I don't have a particular job in mind, because I've never really worked, but I can take care of a household, cook, take care of animals - especially dogs and I can sing."

There she stopped and looked at Aenysa uncertainly, hoping it would be enough for some job. Then she waited for her suggestion, nervously playing with her clothes.

Aleath
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dusk on April 18th, 2010, 6:50 pm

"Hmm," Aenysa mumbled to herself as she jotted a few things down on the page in front of her - which was a mess of random notes and little sketches and every sort of doodle and mess that could be imagined. "Okay. Oh. Animals! What kind of experience do you have with them? Like, have you actually worked with them, or taken care of them, or trained them? Or do you just like animals? Either one's fine, I'm just trying to get a feel for what would work best for you," she said with another reassuring smile.

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Aleath on April 19th, 2010, 7:30 am

Aleath nodded at Aenysa's question and smiled.
"Yes I can take care of them, but I can't heal them...I have never done that. But I can train them a little, because I have a dog myself and I've taken care of him and trained him."
And she glanced outside, where her dog was still sitting and waiting. Then she looked back at Aenysa expectantly.

Aleath
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dusk on April 19th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Aenysa smiled brightly, peering around Aleath to the pup that waited outside. "Aw! He's beautiful!" she squeaked, giggling a little. "All right, then. Why don't you head on over to the Tooth and Claw, over on the other side of the citadel," she said, pulling another form from a box on her desk and quickly jotting down Aleath's information and the name of the shop. "Lirelle could always use a helping hand, and if you've some experience that's all the better. If you'll just sign here to confirm that you've received the job recommendation from the Welcome Center," she added, a little more businesslike as she made extra-sure to get all the paperwork done correctly.

She then shuffled through the ledger she'd been taking notes on, tearing out a piece of paper from the back. "Here's the address and directions from here. And if the job doesn't work out, just return here and we'll try to find something that does," she said with another encouraging smile.

OOC NoteCongrats on the job referral! If you'd like to apply for the position, simply start a new thread with the subject line "[Tooth and Claw] XXX" with XXX being whatever title you want for the thread. Then send me a PM with a link to it so I'll know to respond. :)

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Sharn on June 9th, 2010, 3:04 am

3rd Day of Summer, AV 510

Sharn hadn't been in town for five minutes before he stepped through the doors of the employment office. His large body, nearing eight feet in height, four feet in width (at the shoulders) and a over seven hundred pounds in weight. Sharn, even for a Jamoura (which was uncommon in these areas already), was large for his race. He slowly and carefully led himself through the door, doing his absolute best not to fall and destroy the frame or collapse any nearby tables under his weight.

As he finally freed himself from the door, he stepped slowly up towards the desk. He dearly hoped nobody would be too surprised, or shocked, at the appearance of a large Ape-like creature as him. The locals of the town definitely were. "Pardon me. My name is Sharn, I'm looking for some kind of work. Could you help me?" Sharn, using his best, softest, most controlled voice possible, smiled awkwardly as he waited for a response.

He knew it was unlikely, thus didn't even bother to ask, but Sharn hoped he could be put under a professional as an apprentice. A glassblower, blacksmith, the apothecary, anything that he could do, learn from, and even write about. Writing is what he did, and if he could write down the stories (such as the difficulties of learning how to mold molten glass) into books, he may even make a little extra money on the side, and best of all was that it was all honest living.
Sharn
Scholar and Writer

Words: 17170
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2010, 4:09 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Dusk on June 10th, 2010, 12:47 am

Sharn

When the Jamoura entered the Employment Office, everyone turned to stare. Everyone. Conversation ground to a halt, and wide eyes observed the giant man make his way into the tiny office.

The receptionist was staring as well, but when he spoke his request she smiled brightly and stood to extend a hand. "Welcome to the Employment Office, Master Sharn. My name is Trega. I'm sorry, we're just... not used to seeing a Jamoura in this office," she laughed. "If you'd prefer, we can speak outside? I don't know if we have a chair large enough to accommodate you. But either way, I'm quite sure we can find employment for you."

Dusk

Office
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)

Postby Sharn on June 10th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Sharn smiled, nobody screamed, it was an improvement from the streets for sure. If he could fit in for a while, surely everyone could get used to him enough. He slowly extended his own large, his large fingers practically engulfed her hand as he delicately held the hand and shook it slowly, softly. The way he did this would probably also be seen in the way one might hold a new born kitten, fearing that the slightest pressure might shatter its bones. With a proper squeeze from the Jamoura, that would have been easy enough. "There's no need to move outdoors Mrs. Trega."

As he spoke, Sharn picked up the chair where the person being assisted was meant to sit, and he moved it several feet to his right, and sat right on the floor where the chair should have been. Thanks to his height, his eyes were about the same level as a human sitting in the chair. "There's no problem with this seat right here." Sharn smiled again as he peered around the room, trying to comfort the people with his monkey-smile and a waving hand.

"I like it here."
Sharn
Scholar and Writer

Words: 17170
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2010, 4:09 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Next