Flashback A life of meditation.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

A life of meditation.

Postby Groth on October 5th, 2013, 6:50 pm

OOCSo i am writing this flashback as I feel my character should have more skill in meditation. I am going to say my character has been meditating everyday since he was 30 years old and is now 220. He spent 130 years at Hahk'maghtar meditating most of the day, everyday. The past 40 years he has been out of the Hahk'maghtar but he still puts aside 3 hours a day to meditate.

Groth was 30 years old when he was first taught how to meditate. His father sat him down and explained to him what meditation is and what it does to your mind, body and soul. As a young child Groth was made to meditate for at least 3 hours everyday. Groth's father would always say how the two most important things in his childhood were meditating and learning. "Meditation is used to thoroughly process the learning, my child" Groth's father would tell him.

At the age of 50, not long after returning to The Spires, Groth was sent to the Hahk'maghtar where he would spend all of his day meditating and seeking knowledge. He studied under his elders who has mastered the arts of meditation and had supreme knowledge of life and the world we live in. These Elders passed some of this wisdom onto Groth however his journey would be a long one before he was as wise as the elders.

At the age of 180 Groth's father died. It was at this point that Groth realised he needed to go explore the world and make his own stories. Stories similar to the ones his father used to tell him, but they would be completely different as these stories would be his own. His own stories that he could hand down to the future generations.

Groth had realised the importance of mediation from a young age. So as an adult now travelling the land he knew it was important to keep meditating. He was sure to always guarantee himself 3 hours a day of meditation but often would meditate for more.
Groth
Player

Words: 6269
Joined roleplay: October 5th, 2013, 1:11 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

A life of meditation.

Postby Caelum on October 21st, 2013, 12:13 pm

Thread Award

Name: Groth.

Lores:
  • Meditation Method

Notes: Hi, Groth! You mentioned in your grade request that you are trying to build up your Meditation skill and suggested that you were concerned this thread might be too short. In this vein, I have some recommendations for you as well as explanation regarding earning skill points. Please bear in mind that I only want to help you achieve your goals and don’t intend any of this as blanket criticism.

The average training thread contains a minimum of five posts and more often has seven or eight. This is due to the fact that you can typically receive 1 XP per skill per post. The exception to this is an intricately detailed, lengthy post. Additionally, you cannot earn XPs by telling us that you have done something, only by showing. What do I mean?

“Telling” Example: Bob learned how to cook from his uncle who was a chef at a high end restaurant in Lhavit. He spent his childhood working in the kitchen, learning first the different kinds of foods and spices and later how to prepare them.

Unfortunately, while this is informative regarding Bob’s history, it doesn’t actually show him cooking. Therefore, no skill points awarded.

”Showing” Example: Bob sweated in the heat of his uncle’s kitchen while squinting at the stack of vegetables he had been told to prepare for dinner service. Steeling himself to the task, he carefully selected the appropriate knife from the array. If he remembered his lesson correctly, it was the butcher’s knife, the one with the heavy handle and the long, angled blade that would be the most useful for this task. Weighing the knife in his hand, he took a yellow squash from the pile and rinsed it in water. He positioned the knife and cut off the stems before slicing the squash lengthwise.

And so on and so forth. This would definitely earn you XPs in cooking because you are actively cooking, or trying to cook, in the thread. That’s the difference. You must be actively performing or attempting a skill in a thread to earn XPs. Passive actions where the narrator is simply informing the reader are not useful in this regard.

I hope this helps. If you still want to build your meditation skill, I suggest starting a new thread either in the present day at Riverfall or as a flashback in the Spires. If you have any questions or would like a little help on anything, please PM me. I’d be happy to. Good luck!

Please delete or edit your post with this thread link in the grade request thread if able and, as ever, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, concerns, or cobbler.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)