Completed An Invariable Weakness

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

An Invariable Weakness

Postby Hadyn Skellig on October 7th, 2013, 5:32 am

55th of Fall
513 AV
15th Bell

"You can't run with standin' feet."

Wisdom from a dead man. But it was Liam's perpetual counsel, whether it be in jest or sincerity. His younger siblings heard it so often it was easy to disregard the quietly spoken comment, eyes rolling the only response he'd receive. If he was lucky the object of advisement might nod sullenly, only to appease the eldest Skellig. In the man's absence the memory of his voice was all any of them had left.

As a child Liam was quite nearly a god to his only sister. Infallible and an idol by whom all things were judged. Even after his demise and the unflattering secrets he kept to himself were on display he was still the exemplar of piety and sagacity. Nothing could dissuade her from thinking less of her brother. It was dangerous to think so highly of one person but Hadyn knew of all her vices this was likely the least troublesome.

Running a finger across the paltry attempt at a wood carving the woman heard her brother's deep baritone speaking those words she'd come to expect him to say. He'd had an unhurried manner of speech that incited misguided irritation from others, his patiently drawn out words a mockery of whatever situation caused the other to be irate. For her part his voice was everything good and safe.

His favored affirmation was close at hand lately, both a comfort and a warning as the days passed. For all the drama and uneasiness pervading her life Hadyn felt decidedly empty when alone. Mostly because she didn't allow herself to think too hard on anything. It was an exercise in futility and frustration. Those closest to her were either doggedly interested in probing her for feelings or causing undue turmoil. There were times all she wanted was to be left alone. No more fussing, no more attempts at getting her to discuss emotions and no more gods damned conversations that left her with more questions than answers.

The poorly executed form of a horse lay on its side, neither smooth nor particularly accurate. Ioan was the artistic one, handy with a piece of wood and knife in ways that astounded his family. The figures he brought forth from a seemingly useless stick were both beautiful and intricate. Her carved equine was crude, one leg shorter than the other three, the head abnormally large. Not to mention rough. Her child would be riddled with splinters for his troubles.

With a sigh she pushed the lamentable figurine into the shadow beyond her candle's light. Unable to even make her child a toy the woman rested the side of her head on the palm of one hand, staring sideways at the unadorned wall of her apartment. She deplored the new habit she'd developed of self condemnation. Before this event Hadyn was entirely confident and assured of herself. Now... now she was reduced to a servant of tumultuous emotions. It was a place she'd been before and built high stone walls to avoid.

The baby kicked and the woman was on the verge of tears. What was she doing? Liam was right, no one could run with their feet in one place. But she was entirely lost. Was it better to move even without a certain destination? How she longed to ask her brother, seek his counsel for these matters were foreign to her. If she were to guess she'd imagine Liam would tell her to reconcile with Orion. To find some way to make things better between them - if only for the child's sake.

Yet Hadyn knew that ship had already sailed. There was nothing to reconcile. They were two entirely different people with no hope of making anything work as far as a relationship. Could they be amicable and courteous toward one another - sure. But asking for anything more was like attempting to forge a sword from silk. If both had tried a little harder from the start Hadyn couldn't deny there would've been hope. But now they barely tolerated each other, all for the sake of their unborn child. It was regretful, especially to other folks. But all Hadyn could do was accept it as a fact of life.

Running a hand along the wide curve of her belly the woman released a sigh. She was easily exhausted though she loathed inactivity. More than that she deplored the way her horrid emotions pulled at her heartstrings. Every now and then she would feel the surge of loneliness mount in her breast, begging her to find someone to hold her. To wake up to a body beside her. To feel her flesh against someone else. It occasionally brought her to tears.

Despite all this a warmth flooded her heart when she considered the baby. Hadyn barely realized she was capable of the love she felt and it left her disarmed. A person so used to shunning the affections of others that didn't suit her fleeting needs, this overwhelming devotion was strange and wonderful. Part of her hoped Orion would eventually feel the same about his son or daughter. But another part hardly cared.
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Words: 455862
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)

An Invariable Weakness

Postby Hadyn Skellig on October 16th, 2013, 12:01 am

Cheek resting upon the palm of her hand the woman yawned languidly, the flame flickering with her exhalation. She'd ventured outside that morning to fetch bread and fruit to sustain her the rest of the day. To her disappointment it had been raining. She would've liked to visit the Stone Garden again, perhaps spend some time with the cantankerous horse at Windmount. But the weather put a damper on her plans and mood. She ended up returning to her apartment and wiling the bells away either sleeping or attempting to carve the pathetic excuse for a horse. She felt the baby move within her, as if to remind her it was still there. As if she'd forgotten.

Preparing herself to start again on the blob of wood that was meant to be a horse Hadyn paused when a quick series of knocks sounded against her door. She wasn't expecting anyone. Standing slowly Hadyn hesitated to approach the entrance of her apartment, not entirely sure who to expect on the other side. Shiress? Ethan? Orion? unlikely, all of them. Curiosity got the better of her as she took measured steps toward the door, unlocking it and pulling it open. Before her stood a soaked woman holding an equally drenched cloak over her head. Rivulets of water ran down her face, expression pinched as she peered into the apartment.

"Don't just stand there, girl. Let me in!" Jillien Brae cried as Hadyn, still somewhat dumbstruck sidestepped so the woman could hurry past her. A tick passed before the brunette closed the door and turned to look at her guest. Her mother's cousin stood a few feet away, mopping her dark blonde hair with the wet cloak. The last time either had seen the other was ten... fifteen years ago. Jill looked much the same, thinner than a twig with a shrewd dark eyes. The lines in her face were more pronounced giving her a birdlike countenance, her spindly fingers only serving to enhance the image. Her hair was cut short, as always, hanging in an uneven bob about her shoulders, stringy and water-logged. Jill appeared far older than her forty years, bones sticking out without much muscle to speak of. But that was how Hadyn remembered her.

"What're y'starin' at all wide eyed? get me somethin' to dry off with," the older woman instructed, hands on her narrow hips. Her voice though sharp held warm notes, the twinkle in her dark eyes evident even in the low light. Shutting her mouth the weaponsmith ducked her head and reached for her own cloak laying on the nearby table, offering it with a slight smile as Jill grumbled. "Makutsi's tryin' to drown us all, I'm sure of it."

"Good t'see you," the brunette began the bemusement slipping into her voice as Jill received the cloak appreciatively. As far as Hadyn knew her mother's cousin was traveling with her fortune-telling daughter all across Sylira, camping out and living the wandering life. To call this unexpected visit odd was an understatement. "What... what're y'doin' in the city?"

"Visitin' you," Jill answered nonchalantly as she wrung the dark blonde strands with the cloak. Her clothing was plastered to her ivory flesh, her slight frame shorter than Hadyn recalled. Rolling her eyes skyward the brunette moved to the hearth to stoke the coals.

"How'd y'know where to find me," Hadyn queried as she roused the flames. A small cauldron of water was already resting on the iron tripod, ready to boil. Bending over with great care the woman stoked the fire a few moments longer as she waited for her kin to speak.

"Asked 'round. Y'aren't exactly blendin' into the woodwork these days."

When she stood and turned around she found Jill staring pointedly at her. How was it she could just drop into Hadyn's life as if she'd never been away all these years. She didn't even appear shocked to find her second cousin with child. Standing by the hearth the brunette waited for Jill to elaborate further. After tossing the soaked cloak to the ground the slim woman joined the weaponsmith, rubbing her hands together and squatting close to the flames.

"Where's the bastard what saddled you with that?" she waved an errant hand at Hadyn's belly, twisting her neck to look up at her. Before allowing her cousin to answer Jill continued, rubbing her hands again. "Morwen's bones, I always forget how cold this damn castle gets in the cold season. How y'don't all catch ill is a mystery. Y'have any tea? I'm thirstin' for somethin' warm. Chilled to the guts I am."

Hadyn pressed her lips together, passing her cousin to search through the open faced cupboards for the tin of rugberry tea. Rifling through the various items she finally selected the bag of dried berries, swiping a mug along with it. Setting it on the table near her failed attempt at carving Hadyn turned to face Jill. The woman was standing again, looking around the apartment with a critical eye.

"Well then, Hadyn. I take it you have no idea what you're doin'."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Invariable Weakness

Postby Hadyn Skellig on October 16th, 2013, 7:11 pm

"Do you?" Jill finally settled her gaze on Hadyn, winglike eyebrows raised expectantly over beady eyes. Small though she was the woman was entirely frightening to look upon especially when she was waiting on an answer. Shifting uncomfortably where she stood the weaponsmith held her cousin's gaze before offering a one shouldered shrug.

"Makin' do, I suppose."

"Tch,"
the thin woman clicked her tongue disapprovingly as she turned around to check on the boiling water. The brunette took this moment of reprieve to roll her eyes skyward, exhaling slowly. Recovering quickly she began siphoning out the appropriate amount of tea to steep, pulling the mug closer. as she divided the dried berries "You're due at the start of winter I'd guess, lookin' at the size of ye."

Hadyn paused mid-distribution with a frown before resuming her task, brushing the comment off with a curt nod. It wasn't like Jill was looking for an answer, her intonation declarative as she stoked the fire further, tossing comments over her shoulder as if they were chewing tobacco.

"Good t'see you've got a bit o' space for the wee one. You'll need it. An' how about a crib?"

"In the bedroom,"
the brunette answered dryly, busying herself with rearranging the cupboard.

"That's a start. Y'got clothes for it? toys? you'll need linens. Dira's breath, girl. Y'sure you're up for this?" at that Jill turned, her expression softened only a touch by the quizzical look on her face. Her doubt in Hadyn ability stung mildly but the woman nodded.

"Not much choice."

"Sure 'n there's a family that could raise the child proper."

"I'll raise him just fine, thank you!"
Hadyn snapped crossly, setting a tin box down on the cabinet with an emphatic thud. She composed herself with delay, turning to look at her mother's cousin with a frown. "I don't know what you expected when y'came bustlin' in here. I'm doing the best I can."

"Mhm, mhm,"
the blonde woman nodded as she stood, unperturbed by the younger woman's outburst. Reaching a hand out for the mug Jill merely shrugged her shoulders. "Your mother managed with them three boys an' you. Had your father but..."she looked sidelong at Hadyn as she received the mug, hesitating before returning to the boiling water, scooping up enough to fill the mug with the ladle. "You'll do fine. Y'got a man?"

"No."

"I figured as much."

Hadyn sighed heavily with defeat, seating herself and watching Jill steep her tea. While it was an utter shock to find the woman on her doorstep her manner was hardly astonishing. The memories of her mother's cousin allowed her to both expect and accept the terse comments and judgmental stares. For all her philandering in other folks' business and critical commentary Jill Brae meant well. Her personality could easily rub someone the wrong way but, per usual, the woman could care less, espousing her opinion - no petches given.

"You been feelin' alright? nothin' out of the ordinary?"

"I'm not sure what ordinary is,"
Hadyn replied passively, watching Jill sip her tea. "But considerin' nothing bad has happened I suppose I'm alright. Sore and tired."

"Aye,"
the blonde woman nodded with the hint of a smirk. "First babies always getcha that way. By the time I popped Alma out, 'twas barely a hitch in my step."

"Alma's not your only child?"

"Not by a long shot. Two girls and three boys came afore that lil' nuisance."
Jill seemed to enjoy the look of surprise on her cousin's face, her smile widening to display narrow teeth. "First two were fathered by a Zeltivan cleric," the woman snorted at the memory. "But the others, includin' Alma are products of that fat old mason who couldn't bother to settle down."

"Jill I had no idea you had more than one child."

"Eh,"
the woman shrugged. "No reason for you to know. An' I ain't here to spill family secrets."

"Why are you here?"

"To look in on you, Haddie! Here y'are pregnant... alone... Y'never could master the feminine arts, trailin' after your brothers the way y'did. Who's to expect you'd know how to do this, 'specially with your mother passed. An' don't even start,"
Jill held up a finger, silencing the words ready to depart Hadyn's lips, the blonde's avian gaze sharp. "Y'aren't fine on your own. Don't work like that. You're gonna have a child soon. Have to rely on the goodness of others."

"I'm no one's charity case,"
the weaponsmith muttered in spite of herself. Just having Jill here had the woman reverting to a near childhood persona.

"Hadyn Ielis Skellig y'listen to me. I entered the city to check in on my cousin's daughter, 'haps have a drink or two then head off on me way. When I heard you were with child," dramatic sigh, "well I knew I couldn't just pop in an' out. That's all you've had, true enough. Folk jumpin' in an' out of your life. No doubt that's how y'ended up with this child. No mark of Cheva on your neck an' no man here in the home." Another less dramatic sigh and sip of tea. "You've got no woman t'tell you how things ought to be. Wouldn't be doin' Marnie right if I simply trotted in for a spell an' left the next day."

"You're plannin' to live with me?"

"Petch no! I've got a day or two to stay. Alma's restockin' her supplies in the city, doin' her own business. Now that I know the state o' things I can wrangle an extra day or two from her. I'm just tryin' to help. You're family."

Hadyn stared at the ground as Jill fell silent. As much as she shunned help she knew it would be foolish to turn her cousin away - and it was unlikely the woman would listen to protests. Jill was right. Aside from Shiress the weaponsmith had no one to tell her what to do or how to do it. Stalwart in her conviction to do it alone it was evident from her cousin's observations that she had a lot to learn. Running a hand through her dark hair Hadyn finally looked up at the blonde woman.

"You've got my attention."

"Ain't that the blessin' of the season."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Invariable Weakness

Postby Hadyn Skellig on October 22nd, 2013, 3:17 am

Jill sipped her tea in silence, the chimes slipping by. Her cousin's daughter leaned her back against the chair, releasing a slow breath and watching the other woman beneath heavy lids, eyebrows raised. Wasn't there some lesson to be taught? some knowledge passed along? all that occurred in those moments was the slurping of tea, the fire crackling and the muted patter of rain outside. Just when Hadyn was ready to comment on the lack of discussion Jill spoke.

"You look a bit pale," the blonde observed, tilting her head so her harshly cut hair hung lopsided across her shoulder. Biting back a retort the weaponsmith sat up a bit straighter not sure if her statement required a response. It did not. "Y'aren't just eatin' for yourself. An' none of this workin' til the wee bells of the mornin'. If I know you you're wastin' your time in that gods forsaken smithy an' y'can't."

"I need to work."

"You make a decent 'nough livin'."

"Workin' late suits me."

"Not while you're pregnant."

"But -"

"Shut up, Hadyn,"
Jill cut her off with a predatory glare, crossing the floor to stand before her cousin, dark eyes staring down sternly. "You're a mother. None of this work late til y'drop shyke. You must take care of yourself. For both of ye."

With a sigh Jill sat in the chair opposite the brunette, slumping down with a rattled breath. Her expression lingered on the concerned but it was difficult to discern endearment in her thin face. She wasn't the most gentle of souls, flitting between pressing agitation and unfiltered judgement. There was a harshness to the woman that pervaded her actions and words. She was born on the road and to it she is loyal. But in her criticism and seemingly severe demeanor there exists affection. And Hadyn felt its odd warmth exude from the woman, peculiar but there nonetheless.

"The petch is this?" the brunette was removed from her thoughts as Jill's unimpressed tone cut into the silence, the younger woman turning to see to what she was referring. Clutched between her spindly fingers was the would-be horse, looking for all intents and purposes like a worm with ears. The side of Hadyn's lip jerked up in an awkward smile, shrugging one shoulder.

"A toy for the baby."

"Sylir's bones, girl. The child'll be fitted through an' through with splinters. What 'xactly's this thing supposed to be? a maggot?"

"... A horse."

"Aye me,"
Jill set the unfortunate object down with a slow shake of her head. Hadyn decided to ignore this obvious comment on her carving skills, instead casually pushing the wooden blob further back as she spoke.

"Now that you've gotten your chastisements out of the way... anythin' morsel of advice y'can afford me?"

"Advice?"
Jill smirked as she rested an arm around the back of the chair. Despite her tiny thin frame she had a way of making herself appear to fit the space, her personality and mannerisms exuding both confidence and an imposing sense of assurance. It was unnerving. The blonde was studying her cousin carefully as if she wasn't sure what she wanted to say or how to deliver the news. After a tick she patted the tables surface with a light smile. "Well, yer tits are larger than mine ever were. Can't imagine I'll be much help on that. Mighty uncomfortable, I wager."

Hadyn released a slow sigh. This was going to be more difficult than she anticipated. Between the jabs and snarky comments there had to be some iota of wisdom to pull from the woman. Glancing down at her breasts the brunette felt a twinge of awkwardness. This would get exceedingly personal and she wasn't sure how much she wanted to delve headfirst into the matter with a woman who had no filter. Jill continued speaking paying no mind to the anxiety washing over her kinswoman's face.

"You'll want kerchiefs t'fold an' stick in your shirt. Nothin' worse than tryin' to talk to folk an' havin' your breasts leakin'. Ruins damn near any conversation y'might had - least it did so for me. Y'expectin' more than one?"

"More than one... what?"

"Child, Hadyn! Sylir almighty!"

"I don't know."

"Oriana be good y'aren't. Now, now I'm not sayin' y'can't handle it, calm y'self. But more than one an' you're already alone? that's petchin' hard. Anyhow, looks like the baby's dropped good. Feels like you walk'n 'round with a boulder between your legs, eh? Yeah, that's how t'was with Kendric - my first."

Hadyn had, at this point, given in to simply listening. There was nothing for it and she could at least try to be civil and accepting. Smoothing a hand over her growing belly the brunette pressed her lips together as Jill went on, explaining how things would feel, when to anticipate events and, with no small amount of enthusiasm, what would be horribly disgusting about the process.

"Gods willin', the head's down and baby won't be breech. You'll know if'in y'feel the baby move her head often. Sure 'n it'll feel like a butterfly twistin' round and round just 'bove your sittin' bones. But careful! A feathery sneeze or cough'll send y'runnin' to the privy quick enough. But ain't that the curse - y'won't be able to go! Can't tell y'how many times I swore oaths on a hole in the ground, prayin' to be relieved but nothin' ever came. A right pain in my arse, that bit was."

Running a hand through her swept up hair the woman nodded. This advice was a breath late but appreciated regardless. It was calming to know her bodily experiences were normal and unconcerning. It validated the moments when she struggled internally whether to fetch a midwife or simply grit through the sensation. After a chime Jill began again, slurping her tea between sentences.

"No doubt your back's already achin' somethin' fierce. A pity y'don't have a man to rub those knots out. I reckon you're feelin' the spasms of early labor, no?"

"Early labor?"

"Aye. Rest easy though, lass. They'll maintain through the season an' aren't much to fret over. Gettin' y'ready for the real thing, don'tcha know,"
the blonde woman tossed her a wink and Hadyn found herself smiling in response. "Your body'll know what to do, even if you don't."

The brunette frowned, chewing on a nail as she pondered this statement. Hadn't Shiress said the same? But it was hard to accept her body's messages when she herself was at a loss. How could her body possibly know how to manage this huge change when her mind was entirely confused? it made no sense to her. The turmoil must've been evident on the woman's face because Jill chuckled to herself, setting the mug down and pointing at Hadyn.

"Y'think too much, Haddie, my girl. It's not a thinkin' kind of thing. Y'just feel it. You don't need to rationalize or reason with it. Your emotions, well, what few the gods gave ye, are bound to be up an' down. They'll never give you a moment's peace if y'don't just relax. Enjoy it."

It was this statement that resulted in a hesitation on the weaponsmith's part - her face paling. Shrewd dark eyes took immediate notice of this, the blonde's head tilting again as if she were calculating something in her mind. Hadyn didn't know how to enjoy this. It was an unfortunate circumstance - one neither she nor the baby's father wanted or reveled in. There was no joyous excitation or loving glances shared between herself and Orion. As far as they were concerned this was simply another burden added to their solitary lives, forcing them to be semi-social.

"He don't want a part of this?"

"I don't know,"
the woman admitted with a frown, her eyes set on the ground as she tried to figure out how to speak the words roiling in her mind. "He's as lost as I am."

"But he can't be bothered t'help you? stay with you while you're managin' through the pregnancy?"

"No."

"A fie on the man,"
Jill spat, thin eyebrows furrowed as she continued. "Hard 'nough to be witcher first child. Petcher, in't he?"

"You'd be surprised."

"Oh aye. Y'gonna make excuses for him? What's he - a man of some rank I'll wager ? an attorney or 'haps some noble. Or prolly one o' them bloody Knights, hey? pretty t'petch but no good for anythin' useful. Is that the father of your baby? Oh Hadyn. Your brothers know?"

"No."

"Probably for the best. They'd come for him with a vengeance, swift an' true. Well you don't worry 'bout him, the knave. He's no better for you if he can't put his heart where his prick was."

"It's not that simple."

"Not simple?! When it comes to bein' right an' true he's left you for the dogs, is it?"
the woman stood, pacing with agitation as she glanced toward her cousin, face alight with ire. "It is that simple, Hadyn. He knows without a shadow o' doubt the babe's his?"

"Yes."

"A pox on his tadger."

"Jill!"

"Well I'm just sayin' what you were undoubtedly thinkin'. How could you not be furious?"

"I am,"
the brunette replied wearily, her head in her hand as she stared at the fire. "But... what can I do? force him to stick around because I think it's right? I couldn't persuade a starvin' horse to eat. What makes you think I can convince a man to do somethin' he's not interested in."

"He's gone from the child's life then?"

"Not exactly. He says he'll do what he can."

"Champion job he's done hitherto."

Hadyn could only sigh, exhausted by the back and forth. Standing with careful precision the woman avoided her cousin's stare as she walked (limped more like) to the hearth, a dull ache settling in her hip. Jill's questioning came from a place of concern and love. But it felt like a damn inquisition. Stirring the coals once more the weaponsmith glanced over her shoulder at the blonde.

"If you're so bent on discussin' his trespasses why don't y'march yourself to his home and give him whatfor?"

"I've only just arrived, lass,"
Jill replied smartly with a smirk. "Gotta lay into you first afore I terrorize the rest of the city. Sides, if I can convince you he's a petcher, 'haps you'll stop beatin' yourself for his sins."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Invariable Weakness

Postby Hadyn Skellig on October 24th, 2013, 5:16 am

Jill eyed her kinswoman carefully, her sharp gaze assessing. Hadyn found herself trying not to flinch or appear overly concerned. It was a strike of fortune her mother's cousin was in the city and called upon her. Despite the blunt delivery Jill's advice was extremely comforting and relieving. But the look in the blonde's eye told the weaponsmith there were more questions to be asked and it was unlikely to be pleasant.

"A winter baby then," Jill mused, surprising Hadyn with the mildness of her tone. The thin woman returned to her chair, watching the brunette as she picked up her near empty mug. "Y'got a name for the sweet lambkin?"

"Not yet."

"It'll come to ye,"
she assured the weaponsmith with a thin lipped smile. "It's a bother to draw up a name afore the child's born. Let 'em put the little thing in your arms an' you'll know the name without delay. That popinjay Knight of yours plannin' on making an appearance?"

"He said he might,"
Hadyn answered carefully as she adjusted herself in the seat, brushing off the question with a shrug. "But I'll not hold him to it."

"Smart, that. Men always tell you they'll have no trouble. 'Seen more blood than a lady ought', they say. Reckon it can't be worse than anythin' they've been privy to. Then they're there an' it's like they're the ones pushin' the baby out. Sweatin', swearin', faitin'. I tell you, Haddie. Labor is a woman's place. It's enough t'deal with all the stresses of the birth - havin' a man there, it'll only serve to boil your blood. An' knowin' you you're likely to punch the poor lad for his troubles."

"Now he's a poor lad?"
dark eyebrows rose over unimpressed eyes as the brunette stared pointedly at Jill. Suddenly she was on Orion's side?

"He is if he's there durin' the delivery. Though that might raise his character a notch or two. I say, I hope he shows his face. Damnable coward otherwise."

"I thought you said -"

"Well a man's place is to stand beside his woman. If the only way this dandy'll do that is by presentin' his arse at the birth, so be it."

Hadyn elected not to remark on this change in attitude. First men should be no where near the delivery then Orion's a petching hero if he shows. Jill's opinion was easily swayed by emotion and self-imposed ethics though she acted as though she'd been right the whole time. It wasn't worth getting into a fight over. Cradling the side of her head on her hand weaponsmith found her cousin again watching her, sitting up straight with narrowed eyes.

"What?"

"I just... I'm glad you're managin' this proper. It's a massive undertakin'. Your whole life, really."

"So I've been informed."

"It's no lark, Haddie. My chil'ren may be all over this blessed earth but I love each one with a fierceness and devotion that'll see me crossin' the Suvan nine times over if need be. I'd do anythin' for them. They become an extension of your soul, children do. There ain't one right way t'be a mother. A pity you're at it alone. But y'aren't the first. I pray to Oriana your man keeps his deal to look after the child like a proper father ought."

"He's not my man. I've faith he will."

"Aye,"
the blonde rubbed her chin thoughtfully, glancing sidelong at the fire and ignoring Hadyn's correction. "Even if he goes sour 'bout it before the child's born... holdin' his son or daughter - it'll change a man. A right bastard he might be but give him his baby an' you'll see a side y'ain't never expected from him."

"Sounds a bit sentimental, even for you."

"Eh?"
Jill glanced up at Hadyn to see the smirk crossing the younger woman's lips. Her cousin mirrored the expression and shook her head. "Figured you sat through my earlier wisdom, if'in y'might call it so. Why not try to bring a tear to your eye with the mushy shyke? Not you, though Hadyn. Should'a known, I should've. A twice cursed pup on the verge of Dira's door couldn't bring the weepies to you. But that'll all change, mark me." The woman stood, pointing an accusatory finger at the brunette with a grin. "Once y'have that baby you'll have tears enough for to sink a cargo ship. Aye, but I've overstayed me welcome. Y'let me talk too much, Haddie! Should've told me how the bell has gotten on, you sly lass."

Hadyn rolled her eyes, standing as well to retrieve another jacket from a nearby peg. Jill was in the process of collecting her sodden cloak brushing the proffered attire away as she moved toward the door, speaking as she went.

"Must be off to see how Alma's gettin' on. Stayed longer than I meant, naturally." She turned at the door to wait for Hadyn who joined her with the rejected cloak tucked under her arm. Pressing a thin hand to the brunette's cheek Jill offered a quick wink. "I'll call on ye tomorrow, hm? 'Haps I'll have the girl with me. She'll read your fortune."

"Great. That should be a 'nough laughs to send you two away for another ten winters."

"Fifteen at least with your attitude."

"Goodbye, Jill."
Hadyn Skellig
a blade for a beer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

An Invariable Weakness

Postby Radiant on October 24th, 2013, 8:33 am

Hadyn :
Experience
Skill XP Earned
Carving +1 XP
Observation +2 XP
Socialization +3 XP
Rhetoric +2 XP

Lores
Lore Earned
Carving: Rough Shape Of A Horse
Jillien: Aunt
Pregnancy Is Tiring
The Process Of Birthing

Loots

Notes :
Intriguing! I'm looking forward for the continuation of this plot. :D

So... I was a bit confused on how it could be raining near Hadyn's apartment since Syliras is a fortress city. I assumed Jillien was from outside the fortress or an open-sky district. :)

My radiance is not bright enough?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, beam me a PM and we can work it out. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)