Completed A Wrong Turn or Twenty (Shiyami)

Shane makes a wrong turn on his way home one night and runs into a ghost...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A Wrong Turn or Twenty (Shiyami)

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 8th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Timestamp: Day 51 of Fall 513

Shane's enthusiasm had ran out two weeks into his employment. He'd never had a real job before and the woman at the Employment Office had given him one within seconds. It made his years of living by on charity seem utterly meaningless. For how long had Shane sat in some overcrowded passage begging strangers for money all the while looking out for the ever present Knights who frowned upon such 'laziness'. Shane was beginning to wonder if it had been lasiness.

Brun had written that there were things in every settlement in the mortal realm that constituted power. Some were different but most were similar place to place. Shane had been instructed to go out and observe the city. To see who and what commanded power and try to summarise it into distinctive categories: Pillars of Success. Brun had used the example of Riverfall: Skill, Lineage and Eldership. According to Brun in Riverfall a man's power was assessed on his martial abilities, the amount of children he could sire/the strength of his lineage and his age. Without one, all, a combination or none of these things one could go nowhere in that society. In fact woman in Riverfall held such an odd and unique position in their society because of their influence in the lineage pillar. By identifying these pillars, Brun had written, a plan of action to achieve some measure of success could be attained.

So Shane had went out and, over the next year, he kept his eyes incredibly open to all of the things that happened in Syliras. What he saw, mostly, was the Knights and they had power. They owned everything, they had a say in everything and each and every one of them was law unto themselves. One only had to earn the Knight's ire to be punished. One did not actually have to perform a crime. Even the squires had more power than the average man or woman. In fact simple association with the Knighthood elevated you above the common peoples. Shane had his first pillar noted: Knighthood. However time and time again he saw the wealthy of the Citadel issue orders to the Knights. Most of the time the Knights seem to follow their orders and, indeed, appeared to do the bidding of the wealthy. Pillar two: Wealth. It also seemed, when he asked around about the wealthy that the answer was often synonymous with nobility. People who were wealthy married other wealthy people, had children and passed their wealth down to those people who went on to do the same thing. Nobility and wealth were intertwined but the established money always seemed to win out over the newer money. Pillar three: Nobility.

And there Shane had the Three Pillars of Syliran Success: Knighthood, Wealth and Nobility. At least this was what he had come up with. The book was simply a book and had little way of checking his answer. Once he had come up with it Brun had written that he should look at the pillars and asses them in terms of availability right now (not if he did a million push ups and took up swordsmanship like a pro). It was obvious to Shane that Wealth, though a difficult pillar to climb, was most likely the only one he could ever aspire too. Nobility required more than a generation and he had no formal training of any kind. In fact the only way to even get in as a squire was to acquire some wealth in order to train relevant skills assuming he would actually be good at them.

As Shane wandered along a dark, empty corridor of the vast castle he wondered what his original point had been. He was often losing his thoughts like that these days. Perhaps he had picked up something from Mr. Ariva after all. He'd been working for two weeks now at the dusty old shop handling artifacts which his boss was only semi-sure the safeness of. Despite his official position being a clerk he seemed to do everything for his boss but sell things and it seemed a rare day when anything was sold at all.

His point, he now remembered, was that he'd known these pillars for some time and known Wealth was his ticket. Begging wasn't going to get him wealth so why did he delay? Perhaps he was lazy after all.

Shane stopped suddenly and looked about himself. This wasn't the right corridor. He must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. For being the lace that was his home Shane wondered if he would ever remember the right way home. He always slipped up at some point...
Group Threads: 1/3

ImageImageImage

Clerk at Mystic Eye Fortune Telling
Shane Wallsly
Success Is The Only Option

Words: 284445
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2013, 9:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)

Postby Shiyami on October 13th, 2013, 5:47 am

Well, it's been more then four hundred years, hasn't it...father...?. Shiyami had wandered around the Stormhold castle, reminiscing his past, or more specifically, his death. Even Kimi, with her ribbon still tied on top of her head, kept silent, and not examining everything with interest. She could feel the solemn sadness slightly emanating from the older ghost. They kept walking -er, floating- down the corridors, fazing through walls, possibly surprising many a resident, appearing at their wall, and disappearing through the next. Shiyami stopped walking finally, before giving a deep sigh. "Even after four hundred years, a scar will never fade. Remember that, and try to live as happily as possible, for as long as you exist within Mizahar.", he said seriously to Kimi, who only nodded in confirmation. 

However, hearing footsteps echoing in the corridor they had fazed into, both Shiyami and Kimi looked to their right. A boy, nearing adulthood, seemed to be at a lost of where they were. Shiyami only gave a mischievous grin, as he had a sudden idea. He has been bored for quite some time now, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to relieve said boredom. Kimi had one of those 'What do I do with you?' expression on her face, with her black ribbon in her hand. Shiyami walked over to the boy silently from the back, before suddenly yelling, "HEY!", about a foot away from the boy.
Shiyami
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 21st, 2013, 6:57 am

In the almost absolute silence of the empty corridor the loud sound was like the sudden, and unexpected, popping of a balloon centimetres from your ear. Ghosts or no it made Shane visibly jump in terror and skid a little down the hallway in his haste to confront the thing that had assaulted his ear drum.

“Hey!” Shane cried in anger not even registering the duo he saw before him as ghosts. “What was that?” He scowled at the two figures taking a deep, steadying breath. In his general outrage he failed to notice their surreal status. All that his eyes did depict were the clothes and that was simply to identify whether he should be begging for mercy from a powerful merchant/nobleman, cowering in fear from an armoured brute or whether he could give them a piece of his mind! “You can't just go about scaring people in a deserted corridor at all times in the night. You don't want to go setting a bad ex-am-p...” Shane drew out that last word faintly the last two letters completely inaudible as it slowly dawned on him that the two were not solidly standing upon the floor. Instead it looked almost as if they were just floating with their feet making some contact with the floor. Shane was starting to rethink his earlier diagnosis. Maybe he ought to be cowering in fear...

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shiyami on October 22nd, 2013, 12:38 am

Not a twitch. Not a twitch. Shiyami was trying to place his attention elsewhere, on anything else, except the boy's face. If he looked at the boy's face again, he would fall over laughing. Well, float on his side laughing. Watching the boy jump at least a foot into the air, before scurrying down a short distance like someone lit the poor human on fire, was something that the older of the two ghosts had not seen in a long time. Of course, the outburst from an unhappy boy was to be expected, but with the words dying out at 'example', and the the realization that the boy was yelling at ghosts, was enough to push Shiyami over the edge.

"Bwahahahaha!", he laughed, clutching his stomach as if it was hurting to laugh so hard -which it shouldn't, but it was a habit.-, while the small companion standing -floating- with him only shook her head. "My apologies for him. He has a way of causing problems for others when he is bored.", she said calmly, with the manner of speech not unlike a twenty year old woman. Which should be extremely surprising to the boy, as the words came from the ten year old looking girl.
Shiyami
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 24th, 2013, 3:43 pm

His shock quickly turned to a frown as the one who had scared him started to laugh at him. This would not do. Frowning hard and staring intensely at the boy he felt out for the boy's aura which he could see before him. A grey wispy, lifeless cloud. Shane gasped as it became immediately apparent than the boy he could see in front of him was dead. Physical properties were the easiest to extract from an Aura and hence the first thing Shane could extract from this being's aura was that he had no physical properties.

He stopped his focussing with a heavy exhale when the girl spoke. She didn't sound at all like he would expect but with this pair he was starting to get the impression normal wasn't their thing. He had heard of ghosts before. It was virtually impossible to live in Mizahar without hearing of them. There weren't many in Syliras though. Well none that Shane had encountered. Perhaps in the very bowels and lost corridors of the citadel like this one there were Ghosts.

“Uhm, yeah... Okay.” Shane said trying to keep his cool in such a bizarre situation. “So, uh, are you guys... Uhm... You know... Dead, I mean Ghosts! Err, no living impaired?”

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shiyami on October 25th, 2013, 1:51 am

Shiyami's laughter died down slowly, until it stopped echoing through the corridor, as he noticed the boy intently staring at him. Hey, hey, no need to drill holes through my already intangible body with that state of yours., Shiyami thought to himself, as he wondered if the boy was one of those who held grudges with a passion, and had hated the older ghost. Meh, who gives a petch? Let's have some fun!, was the resolution that he decided upon. 

However, there was an entertained expression on his face, as he listened to the question about being a ghost. "Alas, we are not ghosts! No, we are lethal shadows of death that have come to steal your life away, and rip you limb...from lim...ku...bwahaha!", he had began to say, with as serious of a tone as possible, before he lost his composure once more, and started laughing again, earning himself a light push from Kimi. "Sorry about that. To answer your question, yes, we are dead. Ghost, shade, ethereal, spirits. Which ever you prefer. In the end, it still means we are not part of the living anymore.", the calm explanation that she gave, in response to the boy's question. "I presume that you never met a ghost before, and that you are curious about the cause of death, correct?", she then asked flatly.
Shiyami
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 28th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Shane sighed. He was starting to see a pattern with these two. “Yes, very much so.” Shane replied to the seemingly younger yet more mature ghost. “I have heard of ghosts before but in the citadel people are wary of ghosts. The few ghosts who are here do not stay here for very long I think. How long have you both lived in the Citadel? Did you live here before... Before it happened?”

Shane shared somewhat in the general unease of the public toward ghosts. They bordered on the edge of Monsterdom. They were just one step away from being monsters. From being terrible ethereal abominations that could kill you in a billion different ways. For that matter Shane actually had no idea what the abilities of ghosts were. They were said to be able to move objects with the power of their minds and pass through solid objects as if it were air. It was also said they could look deep into the heart of someone's soul and find out all of their deepest, darkest secrets!

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shiyami on October 30th, 2013, 1:13 am

Shiyami suddenly stopped laughing, the moment he heard the boy say 'it'. It? Could he mean the Valterrian?, he thought to himself. Getting a curious look from his companion, he only sighed. "Kimi died at the age of ten, just ten years ago. As for me, well, I died about four hundred years ago, at the age of fourteen.", the answer to the boy's question came with a calm tone. Sighing, he turned to look down the corridor, his gaze seemingly piercing the view, his mind obviously preoccupied.

Kimi, not understanding what 'it' was, tugged Shiyami's sleeve, but was only given silence. She turned to face the boy, and asked with a curious tone, "What is this 'it' you are talking about?".
Shiyami
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Shane Wallsly on October 30th, 2013, 1:37 am

Four hundred!?” Shane exclaimed in surprise. “Your almost older than the Valterrian!” The idea provoked an odd thought for Shane. There had to be ghosts out there older than this one who had witnessed the Great Cataclysm. Shane could almost not imagine living that long. It must be an existence of great pain, he mused.

“I am very sorry, Miss. I was refering to your... Your... D-d...” Shane couldn't bring himself to broach upon the touchy subjects “Your deaths. I was wondering if you lived here in Stormhold Citadel before your deaths.”

ImageImageImage

Shane Wallsly

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Shiyami on October 30th, 2013, 2:01 am

"Four hundred years isn't too bad. There are definitely ethereals out there who are older then me. Of course, the chances of them being sane are rather low.", Shiyami said in response to the boy's surprise. "Besides, four hundred years of watching the living fight and reconcile over and over in a continuous cycle loses its entertainment, after the first fifty years or so.", he added as a light joke.

"Oh, my death? That is alright. As a matter of fact, I don't know how I died. The only thing I knew when I woke up as a ghost, was that I was ten and a girl. I don't know anything else about my life!", Kimi said in a rather happy and sincere tone then one should normally have when speaking about death, especially their own. Ignorance is bliss..., Shiyami thought to himself, with a downcasted look in his eye. Realizing it was his turn, he sighed, before answering. "I was killed with a knife in the eye-", here he paused to open his left eye, the scarlet red eye, that left streaks of blood colored lines when he swayed as he adjusted his footing. Out of habit, of course. "-The person who used the knife...and killed my entire family, would be my father...the room that he killed me in would be just several corridors down, from this one.", he finished his explanation in a solemn tone, as he closed the left eye, leaving his navy blue eye to continue to stare absently at some point above the boy's head. 

"Ah, I forgot about formalities. My name is Shiyami. Shiyami Toten. This girl here would be my adopted daughter, Kimi.", the older ghost introduced. 
Shiyami
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next