Closed [Mud Flats] Check out my Bird (Alori, Lavira, Izuldir)

Michaela is bringing a bird to the Mud Flats on Thunder Bay for a training exercise, when she happens to run into some people.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Mud Flats] Check out my Bird (Alori, Lavira, Izuldir)

Postby Michaela Rae on October 9th, 2013, 1:55 am

Timestamp: The 32nd of Autumn of 513AV

Note: :
This is my first starter, and my starters are rough, but my writing will get better as I settle into Mizahar, so bear with me :)

It wasn't too long ago, just a few bells earlier during this particularly bright and clearer morning that Michaela decided that she would examine one of the new birds she had been permitted to handle, ensuring that they became comfortable with each other before she used the raptor for any sort of hunting. It was a training exercise she was assigned to do whenever she had the extra hours. It had been determined from the moment she opened her eyes, there wasn't a moment to waste. Yawning and stretching, she recalled what she had been apprised regarding its description. This bird was a beautiful, female, red-tailed hawk; a bird most beginners in falconry started with, and although she had handled this species for well over a year, this time she was being allowed hunt more on her own, once she checked out the bird for herself. In addition, this wasn't just any bird, it was one that had just reached the prime years for hunting. Michaela was being permitted to train her, and she was exhilarated to meet the sharp-eyed predator and get started. Others may not have felt quite as peppy as she about it, but this was her chance to truly assess her skills on a more personal level; make sure everything she had learned was sharp and ready to apply to any encountered scenarios, so she might move on to the next skills with time. Quickly she jumped out of bed and got dressed in her simple midnight-blue clothing, since it was a colder morning she also grabbed her darker-emerald katinu, lined with a warm material in case the chill became too much to bear, though even over the years she had learned to ignore the harsh weather as well as any Inarta. She had already become aware of the rumors that weaker people in the area have become ill due to the weather, but it was a nicer day for such a season, and so Michaela wasn't too worried. As she got ready to leave, a few people she knew greeted her and she beamed at them, her eyes sparked with excitement.

"Well good morning Dear, you look so.. enlivened today," An older Avora woman who lived near her remarked, smiling sweetly.

"Hello Miss! I wish I could talk, but I have a bird to meet, maybe I'll join you for dinner again later," she spoke in her gregarious manner, slightly apologetic in tone, nodding respectfully in farewell before rushing out of the commonrooms, picking up the bird from the Aviary, and taking it to the Mud Flats near Thunder Bay for some personal acquainting time.

When she got there from the city, bird in hand, she took a deep breath, taking in the gorgeous atmosphere of the beautiful body of water and its surroundings. The water was calm, hardly any waves in sight, a few small ones lapping against the shore, the sound of awakening chickadees chirping from the trees in gaiety audible, and the sky still a faded blue as a mark of the morning. It was a pleasant, beautiful but bittersweet place, one that despite her past, she still enjoyed visiting thoroughly. In fact, this place was among her favorite in Wind Reach, as it was many others. "Hello Mother," She whispered, smiling with a childlike gaze at the clouds, her auburn hair blowing with the friendly breeze her eyes like light-caught stained-glass windows, staring out into the depths of the water in the gentle golden rays of the still rising sun. It was her deliberate choice to make a habit of every so often, addressing the kind, amazing woman who raised her so long ago, whether she could hear her calling with her curious and longing spirit or not. She lifted her other hand to touch the shiny, heart shaped locket around her neck lightly, a pang of deeply spun sorrow in her stomach.

The hawk cooed softly, staring at the girl with curiosity, and she blinked, looking down at her forearm where it sat, perched and alert. "Right, you're ready to start, aren't you?" Michaela murmured, chuckling lightly, walking further towards the flats, she herself now ready to begin, her feelings cast aside. She set her bag down on the ground against the reeds of some nearby cattails, containing a few extra pieces of equipment, and sat for a moment on a dryer patch of ground, stroking the astonishingly calm bird softly. It remained silent, but not anxious, more of an intelligent silence than anything else, enjoying the attention of the warmhearted maiden.
Michaela Rae
Player

Words: 7485
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lavira on October 11th, 2013, 2:04 pm

It was a markedly calm day, one of few so far. The winds so far had been bitter and strong but it seemed Zulrav had given the realm a break this morning as Vira saddled Mohya, stroking her sleek cheek when the eagle bowed close to her.

~A good day for hunting, lass; we should take advantage of it.~ Mohya cooed into her mind.

No time today. I have some Flight training later this afternoon so I thought I'd go down to the flats for some clams. Heshvala's chicks have really enjoyed picking them apart. She was glad when I brought them last time.

~Well take your bow, perhaps you can nab a hare or two while you're out there, hm?~

Vira grinned, nuzzling into the eagles feathers before following her to the edge. Grabbing her katinu off the wall and slinging it around her shoulders, the teen gathered up the rest of her gear, kept in here for quick access, and secured it to the harness.

I thought we could also stop by the Aviary. I heard they have a new osprey that was rescued after the storm on the 18th. I wanted to see how her wings were doing and maybe take her flying on the Flats. But then, it's a long flight back, heh. Perhaps I'll just take Tulaj.

The Wind eagle hissed, nibbling at her crimson hairs a moment then looking back towards the curtain that blocked off the rest of the cave to the young Endals home.

~That bird is not right in the head, lass.~

Heh, I know, but he's still family. I mean, it would be unfair to dispose of him because he is...different. Look at me.

The giant bird conceded this fact and settled against the ground, letting Vira climb up. She could not fault her rider her peculiarities anymore than she could that little huntress for being bonded to her crazy sister. Waiting for Vira to slide her feet into the loops and tighten them up, Mohya readied herself against the edge and cast a look to the teen.

There was no need to wait for the reply, the bright grin on the girls face making it evident. Time to fly! Mohya launched herself out of the mountain and went into a hard dive that made Lavira whoop in excitement. Squinting against the wind with hair flying behind her, the young woman clung to the harness and beamed in delight.

The wound up not going to the aviary in the end, Vira simply telling the bird to head to the Flats, knowing Tulaj would be a bell behind, his tiny (comparatively) size making the flight longer for the albino. As they came over the tide flat, Vira saw through Mohya's eyes another on the mud below, a bird on her arm and a hand stroking the birds wing.

Hey, she looks familiar.

Vira had had a lot of exposure to the birds of prey since she was young and though the accident three years ago had ruined her opportunity at apprenticeship, the woman had hooked the chance at still working hand in hand with the Wind Eagles, serving before as a Chiet nesting attendant for the mother birds. It hard afforded her many opportunities and she had met many a person during her time as such.

The more she observed through the eagles eyes, the more she was sure she knew the woman. Urging her bonded bird to land nearby, Vira searched her memory for a name to the face she could see but kept coming up short until the eagle landed heavy in the mud several hards away, beats of her wing blasting wind and grit around the area before settling her wings against her side, shifting low to let her rider off. The teen slid down and turned to face the other woman immediately, a deep frown on her scarred face.

She tilted her head further to the right, allowing her single eye to focus better on the other before finally it clicked, her eyebrows raising. There were some handful or so that were her age and startlingly, Mich nearly shared a birthday with her. Vira moved away from Mohya, striding across the sand as she spoke. "You know, I saw you from above and for the life of me couldn't figure out why you were so familiar, but then I remembered. You're that girl from our Yasi years, apprenticed just after we aged out, to who was it? Vallon? Vesso? Oh, I remember." She sneered good naturedly to the other. "Velos. Cocky and hateful, hah! Michaela, right?"
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Michaela Rae on October 15th, 2013, 1:12 am

"Calling him hateful is going a bit far, but cocky? Velos is certainly that," Michaela responded, looking up from the hawk to the woman her age and smiling politely, her eyes filling with laughter. She had always done her best to assume the best in people, hence the contradiction and protest of the strong word used by her fellow Inarta. She remembered her well enough, the scar was trigger enough to go back to that dreadful moment when everyone was informed of the accident. Since they had played together some as children in their Yasi years, Michaela had been upset after hearing about what happened, but never got the chance to console her or say something along the lines of, "I'm so sorry about your eye."

She figured that it wouldn't do to bring it up now, that most likely being a touchy subject. She glanced over the young lady's shoulder to admire the awe-invoking eagle she had ridden upon, then back to the woman as she opened her mouth to speak. "Lavira, that's your name, right? It's nice to run into you. What brings you to the bay this morning?" Naturally, everyone was out and about, gladly taking advantage of some good weather after all the brutal winds and gloomy storms. The air just had a welcoming vibe in it today, one that drew people in to explore the natural world. Lavira might have been out simply to just enjoy the weather, or hunt with her eagle. Michaela always followed her instinctual desire to commune with nature if she had the time, but she reminded herself that she was also here to feel out the capabilities of the hawk that continued to stay perched on her left forearm, watching intensely as the conversation unfolded. The fact that she was so still and and calm was surprising even to Michaela as she continued to check and make sure the bird was healthy and alert, sometimes raptors were very quiet when taken by an illness.
Michaela Rae
Player

Words: 7485
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets