An Absent Wish [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby Rhuryc on August 10th, 2010, 12:21 pm

What. Rhuryc felt his rage boil over. Were they to argue semantics? Here, he sat, bucket in hand, and the man felt like this Knight, if he could even now refer to him as such, wanted to arrest him. With civility thrown aside - for Rhuryc himself had allowed his irritation to creep into his logic first - he narrowed his gaze and resisted tackling the man. Armored as he was there was no way he would be able to take the Knight in a test of arms. Besides, all he had was his sword, and who knew how capable this John was? His best bet would be to take him off his feet, use his size and strength to an advantage. Wait. Was he really considering assaulting this Knight? Rhuryc felt his head reel. This was no manner of honor.

"Yes. Nearly drawing on a man who came up on me from behind. Forgive me, my lord," His tone contained a barely withheld mock. What kind of bullheaded behavior was this? "But your inquiry is ridiculous. Does it matter why I had the intention to keep some idiot from drawing water from a polluted well? What do they teach you in your tiers? How to make peasants feel bad for their actions?"

A crack punctuated his words. The handle of the bucket snapped under the pressure of the blacksmith's grasp. Damn it. That was it. He spent too long working in a hot forge to be harassed (despite that John was only doing his duty, Rhuryc was too caught up in anger to see logic) and this was the last straw of the day. He raised the bucket and hurled it at the ground, the wood splintering as it slammed against the cobbled road. The action, while not aimed at John himself, was quite easily misinterpreted as such.

"Do it your damn self then!"
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby John Griffin on August 10th, 2010, 1:06 pm

John scoffed. He liked to think he acted professionally, but sometimes his emotions got the better of him. This was one of those times. "How about, nearly drawing on a Knight of Syliras, who greeted you in a friendly manner? And your insolent tone does you no service." He stepped closer once more. "My inquiry is irrelevant, nobody is making you answer it, you can always move along if you like. I was simply curious, thinking you a good-hearted soul, to water these plants of your own volition. I just wanted to know why. Curiosity. It was that simple!"

The tall man broke his bucket. Idly John wondered if the bucket even belonged to him. There was many things in the city that technically belonged to the Order, as they owned every business within their walls. It was no matter until Rhuryc smashed the bucket on the ground. John glared. "I hope you're planning on picking that up."

In a city the size of Syliras, filled with tens of thousands of people in relatively close quarters, leaving trash around would easily foster sickness and disease. John would not tolerate littering.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Words: 100281
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 5:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby Rhuryc on August 10th, 2010, 1:24 pm

That was it. Rhuryc was pissed.

"Oh. OH. Some Knight you are. You are in a position of authority and service and yet you lord it around in your arrogance!" The man's voice was alight with rage. This was not the image he held of Syliras' ancient protectors, nor was this what his uncle lead him to believe of the order. "I stayed my hand, but if you would like I would gladly draw if you issued a challenge." Although Rhuryc kept his hand from grasping the hilt of the Bastard Sword at his side he desired nothing more. He cared not for his disadvantage or his wellness in the eyes of the law. This was no chivalry, no honor. How could justice be served in the eyes of a bias engagement?

"Your manner demands an answer whether you're aware of it or not. Do the Knights employ such ignorance willingly or did you merely fall into your position by your fathers graces?!" Rhuryc stood his ground, firmly ignoring the splintered bucket at his feet. His hands balled into fists and once more Rhuryc found himself surveying the field of battle. The environment lacked weapons, but perhaps he could utilize his mobility to an advantage.

"Pick it up yourself, Knight." Almost as soon as the words left his mouth Rhuryc found that he regretted them. Not because he felt bad, but because they were spoken in naught but anger.

What in all the hells was he doing?
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby John Griffin on August 10th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Hot to cold. That was John's anger, hot to cold. If he was upset, his anger was hot, usually burning out quickly, easy to forget. But when it was continuously fed, it burned until it went cold. It was never a good thing. The usually friendly and kind young knight's fury was focused, and aimed directly at Rhuryc. "I lord...arrogance?" John could not believe it. He greeted the man in a friendly, courteous fashion, and Rhuryc almost draws his blade. He asks a few innocent questions, and the man gets defensive to the point of rudeness. How was he lording or arrogant?

"I will issue no such challenge. But you should watch your tongue, and stay your blade." The gall of this man, to all but challenge him to a duel. There was no real affront here, just a stubborn, pig-headed citizen. "My manner was that of friendly curiosity. Your dismissive tone turned it demanding." John's anger was sub-zero, his blood ice.

"No grace was involved, I earned my place. And you would do well to remember that." He stared daggers at Rhuryc. "Littering is against the law. Pick up the bucket." As angry as he was at the man, he hoped he'd pick it up. The tedium was broken, and he didn't want to have to draw his sword, let alone use it, as much as he longed for some real action. Rhuryc had just caught him on a bad day. But neither would he shirk his duties.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby Rhuryc on August 10th, 2010, 8:22 pm

Perhaps it was a matter of pride. Arrogance. Displaced honor. Whatever the situation neither of the two saw through the eyes of the other. Rhuryc was taken with rage, his own mind bent on the certainty of John's abused authority. He stuck to his convictions, unwilling to bend even in the face of the law. For just a moment Rhuryc imagined the look of surprise on the young man's face as his fist slammed into his jaw. The satisfaction would be tangible, even if it did mean some jail time. Rhuryc assumed no matter the outcome of anything he did, short of acting the meek citizen, he was already marked for the stocks.

"No." The man snorted. He continued the gesture by unfurling his fists, both hands working on the sheath as his waist. The scabbard was removed from the belt it rested on and Rhuryc tossed it between the both of them, the brunt of the weight given to John's chest. The act was not one of hostility, but a prideful surrender. One that held no loss of honor on the part of Rhuryc.

"Your law be damned, Knight of Syliar." Somehow that phrase carried more than simple irritation.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby John Griffin on August 11th, 2010, 2:43 am

No? The man said no! John's anger burned with a coldness. This man had nerve, at the very least. He tensed up when Rhuryc tossed the sword at him, his arms flashing up to catch it, half expecting it to be a distraction. The man was technically no longer a thread, and arresting him for littering was a little bit out of proportion.

The sword itself provided a means to end this futile engagement. A fine was the maximum punishment applicable to this case, so a fine it would be. He glanced at the sword. It was a rather plain broadsword, but of good make. A decent weapon, more than the fine would cost, and possibly dear to Rhuryc. It would do nicely.

"Go right ahead and damn the law. I'm confiscating this sword in lieu of payment for the crime of littering. You can get it back on the second tier later tomorrow, after paying a small fine. I'll tell them it's Rhuryc Naravane's." Maybe there was a possibility the man had given him a false name, and someone on the second tier would recognize him. Then hopefully he'd get busted for giving false statement to a Knight. Or maybe it was his real name. Either way, John was satisfied with the actions he was about to take.

"Now carry on."
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby Rhuryc on August 11th, 2010, 6:23 am

"Unless this area has been marked unsuitable for the means of the peasantry," Rhuryc began, the venom of his voice coating his words in a vile hatred. That sword meant more to him than any law or man. Had John not included the caveat the he would be able to reclaim it than Rhuryc would have died in his effort to take the weapon back by force. The man's countenance showed only a mild hatred, but inside he burned with the passion of the sun. There would be no place John could hide if the weapon was not returned to Rhuryc's hand. "Then, my lord, I would very much like it if we were rid of each other's presence."

Somehow he spoke between gritted teeth. It was obvious that Rhuryc would not be the first to leave, poised as he was in such a position of attack. Although he had not realized it the young apprentice stood in a fashion similar to his combative nature, ready for a brawl to break out at any moment. Once more his mind wrapped around the idea of a solid victory, one he was sure to be in his grasp. Nevertheless something held him back. He may have believed John to be pig headed and abusive, but he was still a Knight and the law demanded obedience.

Very suddenly Rhuryc found himself at odds with his home.

"I'll carry on when I'm good and ready."

OOCWe can probably wrap this thread up here. Did you want to make another one for the next morning?
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby John Griffin on August 11th, 2010, 9:54 am

John grunted. Stubborn to the end. At least Rhuryc was consistent. He shook his head almost imperceptibly. "Very well. Stay or go, it's no matter to me." He glanced down at the mess of splintered wood. More than likely he'd have to come back and clean it up himself. A small cost for the satisfaction of walking off with the man's blade. "Second Tier, tomorrow. Your sword and I will be waiting for you, Mister Naravane." He took the long way out of the area, making sure to be well out of the other man's range before looking away. There was no telling if he might pull a dagger and try something once John's back was turned.

John walked off into flickering shadows, the light playing off his armor until he turned a corner, and disappeared from view.
John Griffin
Syliran Knight

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Peer Reviewer (1)

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby Rhuryc on August 11th, 2010, 10:29 am

Rhuryc watched the knight leave. His anger lessened with step and eventually he found himself with open palms and slouched shoulders. A long, drawn out stream of air was released from his lips and the man turned back toward the well, his gaze softening on the foreign stones. Some help. Already he felt the loss of his coin for some silly superstition, one that he did not even believe in. A grunt escaped his form and he swept his head around, his eyes scanning the quiet dark in some paranoid gesture of importance. Bereft of onlookers and spies, Rhuryc felt himself calm back to a state of normalcy, his nerves now at ease. What a day.

"Good job, Rhuryc." The man spoke to himself in a mocking tone. "What wonder will you perform next? Storming the castle with a broken bottle?"

He grumbled to himself as he bent to one knee and started to collect the pieces of the broken bucket. He could not very well leave this mess on the ground, some idiot would no doubt hurt himself. And besides, littering was against the law.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

An Absent Wish [Open]

Postby Leviathan on August 12th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Thread Award!

Rhuryc
Exp +1 Philosophy, +1 Weapon (Throwing Buckets), +1 Insulting
Lore How to Excite a Knight, The Feeling of Defeat
-1 gm (Donation to Kova's Well)
-1 Broadsword (Naravane)

John Griffin
Exp +2 Interrogation
Lore Heating a Hothead, The Feeling of Defeat
+1 Broadsword (Naravane)

Additional Comments I love it. I'm afraid I can't offer too many points for simple conversation, but I loved the thread. Don't get me wrong. I love seeing PCs that aren't perfect or don't have the ability to hate and form rivalries, even if that doesn't happen here. I love the thread, keep up the good work, and PM me if you need anything!
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Previous