Solo [Dawn Tower] Same Difference

Work thread, wherein Sana gets her first taste of the more remedial and boring aspects of being a PA.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[Dawn Tower] Same Difference

Postby Arysana on October 27th, 2013, 12:45 am

29 Aumtumn, 513 AV

There were muffled voices from the room opposing her. Some softer than others, a few louder and aggravated. 'Come on, Arysana.' She thought to herself, 'You've got a day's worth of work ahead of you, studying is now or never.' Her eyes scanned the delicate lettering, and averting the tarnishes and stains that often came with library books. She found a familiar symbol, the glyph's design boasting a circular centre, several curved arms spiralling out from its edges. 'Nice and simple. The circle will be difficult to draw free-hand, however. I suppose I could use one of my journals for practise.' She read more about the qualities if the symbol, the ways in which it best used, a scroll in this case. As she always did, her eyes dwelt a little too long on the dangers of its misuse, and she felt a lump in her throat. “Everything is so dangerous…” she mumbled, “it’d be nice if I could do some form of magic without risking death or serious injury.”
“Well, that’s just not the way these things work. Here, carry these and follow me. No questions.”

Arysana stood bolt upright, Armitican towering over her, before compliantly taking the heavy load of paper work. “What are-” she cut herself off when she was sent a hard look, and her gaze lingered on the kinder professors who were making their own timely exits from the room; some gave her a teasing look, others offered their sympathies. She sighed and pressed forward, finding it slightly difficult to keep up with the fast tracked pace that Armitican walked with, the weight of the paperwork, and the awkwardness of the book winged under her arm making carrying the items an interesting task. Luckily enough, she found, Armitican seemed to be heading for his large office/study, which meant that there was only a single turn before they were to arrive. Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, turn corner, 4, 3, 2, arrived.

Armitican jammed his key into the lock, before pushing the heavy door open, and allowing Arysana to enter first. “What…” she said, a frown creasing her forehead. The setup had changed dramatically since the last time she’d seen it. There was no longer a quaint coffee table and couch that awaited those that entered, which furnishings of large bookshelves and potted plants divided the room, with Armitican’s own desk and personal belonging tucked away from immediate view. Instead there was a smaller, thick desk, angle a little to the left of the room. Rich in colour and design, it was quite a sight, a rather comfortable looking green chair standing tall behind it. Standing immediately behind it was a large, tall cupboard, with plants and candle stands occupying corners and giving light.

“Set the paper work down there, if you will, and sort through the profiles.”
Arysana’s face dropped, but she bit her lip as she set the pile down. “Is there anything in particular I’m looking for?” She asked, taking seat. At least she’d be comfortable.
“They’re the profiles of those currently working with the Dawn Tower, be it as students or staff.”
‘Why is Armitican set with such work? Wouldn’t thing kind of thing normally be the duti-’
“Make sure the name, age, and residence are all filled in, along with their association with the Tower. It is vital for safety that these checks are done at least twice annually, and that you ensure that all are filled in correctly.”
Arysana nodded twice, beginning with the first sheet. “Right, got it.”
He paused for a moment more, shifting the weight of his head from side to side, before breaking the silence by setting the door in an opened position. "I'll be at my desk, should any ask for me, ask their name and business, before reporting to me and acting as I ask."
Once more, Arysana nodded absently, eyes already tearing across the first paper, "Understood."
He gave a short, tempered sigh, before slipping beyond the cupboards and bookshelves, completing whatever grand task he was set.

The first one seemed to be a fellow student, name somewhat exotic, age young, and residence in the other side of the city. Good, right? Easy. Nothing so difficult. The next was one of the lesser known staff, she guessed, the woman old in her years and working as a maid. She lived quite nearby, Arysana found, and had no problem recalling the street and landmarks of the little region. She yawned, already tired of the work, but still with a stack of forms to sort and wade through. Next came a few students, followed by a professor, with a large number of cleaning and reception staff, before more students’s names graced the list. Quickly she came to her own name, and felt an odd shiver creep up her spine. It was weird, seeing her name in these official records, but she couldn’t shake the guilt that crept up her spine upon reading of her own occupation – student [reimancy, glyphing], personal assistant [Professor H.M. Armitican]. She tried to push out the worry of not actually spending much time studying thus far in the season, with events such as climbing and working entrapping most of her attention.

She quickly shook herself from her stupor, and brought her mind back to the remedial work she’d been set. She placed her own file into those who she’d personally gone off and approved, before trolling through another several profiles. Finally, she came to one that was slightly odd. It was some older gentlemen, who apparently worked in some minor renovation a little while back. His name seemed true enough, but the residence that he had listed quite simply didn’t add up – he claimed to live in a lot nearby the woman’s own family home – one that quite simply didn’t exist. Arysana bit her lip and sorted the draw’s desk for a quill and ink, upon finding which she quickly made a note on the paperwork, and set it aside.

As she worked on, she let her gaze become sharper, now strangely aware of all the little slip ups and falsities that could be present in the texts, and vaguely wondered if she’d had missed any. She made a mental note of the number that she’d already gone through, and pondered on going back and double checking them once she’d completed the remainder of the large pile. The next ones where examined sharply, several professors and a student, all of which she looked over with a harsh eye, going through her own memory and knowledge of students and staff to aid her in the picking up of errors. Thankfully, none of the next several had any errors that seemed purposeful, with one, she found, to have failed to complete writing her address down – having specified that she lived on a certain floor number and door within Tower’s Respite, but not which wing.

Arysana gave her the benefit of the doubt, and instead wrote in ‘Eastern Wing’ by the side of her scrawled address, and leaving the now-completed form in the checked pile. She supposed that the addition of that little detail may have not been required, but from what she knew of some of the staff, she doubted that should any letters be posted, that the one doing the handwriting will take the care to add in the missing information. She sighed and stretched her back, rather pleased by her own progress. She’d finished three quarters of the pile, so there was only several dozen remaining. As she went on with her work, she found it odd that Sousa Dawn’s own profile was within the list, having expected the matriarch to be far above such a requirement. She eventually found Armitican’s profile, and was rather stunned to see that his place of home was within one of the more pretentious regions of the city.

But then again, she supposed, she always thought him to be a bit of a pompous prick – so she shouldn’t have been all too surprised of her little discovery. By then, there was only a few profiles left, all of which were those of fellow students, a few of which also resided within Tower’s Respite, but only two of which she could really say she knew – one of which being Elsie, especially.

Once all filing was done and dusted, she drummed her fingers upon the table, debating whether or not she wished to waste time enough that Midnight rest was on its verge, and she was warranted to go home and rest. “Done yet?” quickly came a voice, and Arysana smothered her sigh.
“Yes, sir. There were a couple with problems, they’ve been set here aside.”
He gave two short nods as he examined the piles, collecting them both in the one hand – index finger preventing them from merging.

“I’ll need to bring these to Sousa Dawn,” He said, tone with an unneeded finality. “I had to move a great deal of furniture to accommodate for your desk,” there was a bitter twist to his words, like he changed his mind as to the amount of trouble he was going to far too late to change his mind, and held Arysana personally accountable. “-so the cupboard behind you is empty and in need of refilling.” He gestured around his nook, motion direct. “There is a pile of log books, journals, and general information. Those with red leaflets require you to take home and thoroughly read through, and entail general answers to any enquiries you may gain. Organise those with no notes behind you, you’ll most likely need to refer to them in the future, so it will serve you well if you ensured that at least knew what was within them. You may leave once ready and what I have asked has been sorted.”

Arysana ordered her demands in her mind, nodding absently towards the cupboard, bitter at the thought of losing yet another night that could otherwise be better spent. ‘First I’m a maid, and then I’m an administrator, and now I’m a maid and then an administrator. I wonder what further thrilling job opportunities I have to look forward too.’ She tried her best not to let her words of poison seep into her expression, only letting out her groan of frustration until he was well and truly out of the doors. “Not like I have sleeping needs, or anything,” she began, complaining as she sought and collected the piles of books she’d been advised to – three large stacks they were. Some bound by leather, others wood. A few were ornately decorated, for whatever the reason, others far plainer.

All were heavy, none the less, and as Arysana took one pile after another she quickly questioned her own physical fitness and well being. She’d been getting stronger, slowly but surely, but with her climbs and slips and inability to lift even the lighter of the pots within the kitchen when filled with water, she quickly found herself making the personal promise to up her ante and increase her strength and physical aptitude.

“Beyond sleeping, it really doesn’t matter to me that I have very well wasted the season thus far in terms of how little I managed to study and practise.” Her voice was the only sound heard within the room, and she only then realised how odd a thing it was. She took the time to hum a tune, a little children’s rhyme she’d learned in Wind Reach, singing a word or two and glad there was none to hear her pitch and tone, nor coarse pronunciation. The three piles then became two, with Arysana finding to her dismay four of the larger books being those that she was to read, the other dozen to be skimmed and put away.

She took in a heavy breath, deciding that she could simply figure out which tome held what knowledge when it was required, throwing them onto shelves in accordance to what the title seemed to hint at in terms of genre. Her eyes them fell heavily on the four hefty books, testing ways to carry and hold the load before setting off on the journey home, feet taking her off quickly down the hallways, partly because she felt that she would drop the load shortly, partly because she had no desire to run into Armitican.

Midnight Rest ranked as high as Arysana's favourite. It was the one which reminded her most of Wind Reach, and the only that allowed her the pleasure of a moment of stargazing both before and after her short sleep. She was still on her way to Tower’s Respite when her eyes sought the sky, and allowed herself to be guided by the flow of people. She’d managed to find a current that lead her right in the direction of home, and tightened her grip on her pile of books as she let her eyes adjust to the night sky.

She’d never been able to understand why so few people took the time to look up every now and then, nor did she understand why people never marvelled at how the stars and constellations were the same, if not similar, in many places. She couldn’t help but give a thought to the Star Lady and Leth, finding herself far more appreciative of their world than she was of Syna’s, though her respect of any didn’t falter. She hummed her usual tunes as she went on, eyes raking the skies as she dissolved into her own little world in bliss.

There was the slightest amount of light pollution, but it was nothing too blinding. Her view was far more often obstructed by the walkways, rooves, and tree tops, her gaze seeking any tell or sign of a shinya on patrol in such times. In all her years in Lhavit, she’d never seen one unless it was on purpose, and she quickly found herself searching for them wherever she went. Whether it was a lack of keen eye, or a large amount of talent on their part, she didn’t quite know. All she could truly tell was that she could never turn her eyes to the stars without being hit by a wall of thoughts and inspirations, and she’d spend the bells following even the shortest amount of stargazing in a state of wonder and bewilderment.

It was one of the few key things that kept her going and learning. The thought of how many millions of lights that shone in the sky, the wonder to their mysteries, and those of the world she herself walked on, thoughts of secrets and truths and stories engulfed her mind. It never quite lasted long enough, however. When she was young she had all the time in the world, home schooled by Aunt Lyanne and free of caring for her younger siblings duties early on, but she spent it in a daze that she, as a young woman, could not quite comprehend.

In the little time that the sky was exposed and Arysana could aptly search for constellations and figures, she found that only one stood out – a maiden that she saw far too often on her journey from Wind Reach to Lhavit. It was a large, hulking figure, whose out stretched arms made her always seem to be a guide. Whether or not that was truly the case, however, Arysana didn’t know. Stories from the Inarta and those of Lhavit, as well as the many dozen she learned on her travel in between were muddled in her mind.

A shallow sigh escaped her as she saw the spires of Tower’s Respite loom in the very near distance, and she broke from her daze and hurried herself forward, the thinning crowds and dimming of the lanterns and lights hinting that had Midnight rest not begun, it was only chimes away from doing so.
Last edited by Arysana on November 30th, 2013, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Altaira Readva | Naia Whitewater
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Words: 171224
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2013, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Arysana on November 30th, 2013, 3:17 am

Autumn 30, 513 AV
Arysana’s head had hit her pillow hard, the books she’d been instructed to read sitting tall and proud in a pile upon the bottom of her bed, her breathing deep and even. She’d learned how to sleep deeply and shortly since moving to Lhavit, but it did not come easily. There were years of scolding and oversleeping until she could finally get used to the strange Lhavitian practise that was the quarterly Rests, and she still could not take part in the Noon Rest without the drawing of thick curtains, and there still days when her body worked too hard or too soft, and she’d either over sleep or not take rest.

It was movement in the hallways that awoke her, and verbal exchanges with little dampening to tone that had her realise that Midnight rest was well and truly over. She rose with a groan, and a glare to the weight at her feet, before she bitterly recalled her next task.

She took in a deep breath, moving towards the door and propping it open, pleased she lacked the time and care to properly undress before she began to slumber, and noted the amount of light that the mirrored hallway bathed her room with. It wasn’t nearly as much as Dawn nor the following bells, but it was more than enough to read log books and general information, with the constant chatter either enough to focus or distract her.

Turning on her heel, she settled herself on her bed, picking up the first of the books – the History of the Dawn Tower. She frowned, flipping the tome over and scanning for a date so she could regard its relevance, soon finding that it was no more than several years in age. “Really?” She complained, refraiming herself for throwing the blighted thing across the room. “What has this got to do with anything?” She opened the book and found the introduction, finding that it was written by someone other than the original compiler.

It was then that she found the book bizarre, speaking the name of the author with the utmost confusion. “H.M. Armitican.” Her tone was deadpanned and expression quickly changing from confused to irritated. “Oh, for the love of Zintila. You have got to be kidding me – is there a reason for me reading this damned thing being Armitican’s apparent favourite? By the looks of it isn’t even a famed novel,” Her own words prompted her investigation, and she moved to list of detailed on the very first page, noting how few in number the book was. “So it really is just a favoured form of history.”

She gave a huff of annoyance, and glanced through the page of contents. The first section was introductory to how Lhavit arose, mentions of how Lhavit was crafted to honour the beauty of lost cities, it told of Aysel and Talora, Zintila and Semele and Caiyha. A curve quickly took form upon her lips, and she found the wonder from the stars was yet to fully leave her as she was reminded of her first time hearing of the founders of Lhavit, and their own respected stories.

She let her eyes scan the pages the pages, reminding herself rather than learning, but lingering most on the gnosis of Zintila and the brilliance that was skyglass, and the grand gift of okomo that Caiyha gave to the city. The paragraphs were only short, however, and within a quarter of a bell she’d well and truly moved onto the building of the Dawn Tower, the original Patriarch, and the tribe from which he hailed, how the line from there on progressed and the values that the Tower held. The chapter regarding most the development of the Tower’s influence and the Day of Discord by far held Arysana’s attention most fervently, with the young woman already fiercely intrigued by the inner workings of politics.

There was also the fact that she lived that day, though she was incredibly young at the time, and still a stranger to common tongue. Reading words about those executed, who was punished and why, how they related back to the Dawn Tower and what has become of certain relationships because of it lifted a certain veil of misunderstanding. There were also a lot of questions answered – who it was that she’d snuck out and seen executed, why her parents and Aunt Lyanne so heavily policed her actions that year.

There was little mention of Sousa Dawn, though the book came to a close mentioning how a new chapter in the Dawn Tower was quickly opening, with a small adventure into shielding and the current matriarch’s desire to shift from being renowned for reimancy to shielding. There also seemed to be the subtlest mentions of the silent war that was raging between the towers, the author’s view open and unbiased upon the matter. The more she read the more she understood, and although much of what was within the tome knowledge she already very well understood, had she have rekindled her knowledge by speaking to a bitter woman of the Dawn Tower, her opinion of the tension between the towers would have developed to be far more biased.

With the first tome done and dusted in far less time than Arysana had accounted for, having assumed that she’d be expected to learn a whole new slate of knowledge, and moved on to the next book, leaving the remaining two to read once her duties in the kitchens were completed. She sighed again, knowing full well how often she did it, “truly,” she hummed. “Looks like I can expect absolutely no advancement in reimancy this term."

The next book she chose was a thinner novel, and she was surprised to see that it was a very brief overview of magic strands, those who practise them, and their general origins. “What is he trying to turn me into?” She questioned, not willing to admit that she was glad to be in a position where she was required to read such a tome. “Some walking encyclopedia?”

She found her answer far sooner than she expected it, with each sector (Which, stated in the introduction, was a predecessor to a whole series of books, each giving an in depth analysis of a large number of practices) boasted a long and detailed ‘risk assessment’ of each magic practice, detailing issues such as whether or not one can expect to over give faster or slower than usual, the most iconic deaths and nerve racking overgivings. It was a book of warning.

There were only several real disciplines that she found herself reading well enough to retain any memory on. The first of which being Auristrics, the trick of the trade for those of the Dusk Tower. It was something that she was familiar with by knowing those that practise it, though the words she read on the page breathed a new life to the art, and Arysana was quick to imagine having such an ability under her belt, though the risk of paranoia was enough to have her quell the desire to learn such a thing for that time being. She very well liked being at ease by the knowledge that she had the power to defend herself, and she felt like she’d become a paranoid wreck if she delved into an art that would tempt her to over-analyse her surroundings.

Familiarity peaked her interest, with goose-flesh rippling her arm as she read about a horror story or two in regards to the strand, and she pondered for a moment how someone could let a beast under their apparent command take over them. That being said, she herself would never take part in such a binding thing without a dire need for it. She had to admit, however, they seemed the perfect aid or watch for those travelling the wilderness alone. Should they be loyal enough to their wizard, that is.

When she came upon the pages of flux, she soon forgot much else, and pored herself into the works. As seen in the previous cases, there were a horror story and warning, mentioning how much stress upon that of overgiving is forced upon the body. In her own opinion, she found it to be the most practical, if not self-destructive, of the magics, and thought that she could personally find use for it in regards to both her climbing and bid to become fitter, in general.

She took a lasting look at her hand, before balling it into a fist and releasing it. “It’s a shame learning such a thing would be a waste of time.” she mused, reading the brief few sentences on the flow of djed, and reminding how many practises she’d already delved into.

Of course, that thought especially when out of the window when she flicked through the remaining pages and came to voiding. She personally found it slightly boring, though that feeling quickly left her as the book delved shortly into its usual warnings on the form, about master magicians who pulled out something vile and dying, of those that attempted to hide things away but disappeared themselves, and cases where people failed in properly linking two voids and ended up Gods know where.

Few little disciplines more interested her, though she read them through for the sake of it – leeching and hypnotism intriguing her in theory, but not in practise. She had to admit to herself that projection was also remarkable, but she was more attracted to the thought of meeting a practitioner and speaking to them about the experience, than committing to learning it herself.

What she read of reimancy was already known to her, from the high chances of those inexperienced such as herself losing control to how quickly people tend to fall from over giving. She read a little on the hybriding of two disciplines, but chose to vex herself due to her own lack of skill.

Shielding was the last thing she looked over, and by then was tired and enthusiasm drained. She was ignorant of the subject, and although keen to learn exactly what it was that the matriarch wished to have the Dawn Tower famed for, there was that bitter well in Arysana’s stomach as she recognised that she’d have to internally apologise for the less than appreciative thoughts she had been harbouring on the art.

She was surprised to see that the usual section on warnings was a tenth of the size as seen on disciplines such as flux and reimancy, with little more said than ‘risks of mild overgiving.’ She let her eyes scan the page lazily, raising an eyebrow at a sourced quote or two, each essentially calling the art the antithesis to reimancy. “Know thy enemy,” she played, taking more interest in what was written. Some of what was said accounted for the students that Arysana would see keenly practising in the tower, especially since the art was said to be one that could be learned without instruction.

She rubbed her eyes and arched her back, noting the amount of light that was lightening the sky, and wondering how many chimes she had to rest before Rima would-
“Oh, Sana?” said a feminine voice, and Arysana almost refused to look at her. “Up already?”

Altaira Readva | Naia Whitewater
Arysana
Peace Amdist the Storm

Words: 171224
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2013, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elysium on December 4th, 2013, 12:56 am