Completed Empire

In which Rosela comes to terms with her past and realizes her future path.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies the realm of dreams, where dreamers who are scattered all over the world in the physical can come together in the mysterious world of dreams. Remember, unless one is a Dreamwalker, there is no control over dreams. Ever. Anything can happen, and by threading a dream, you are subject to whomever can walk dreams and the whims of Storytellers.

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:01 pm

E
E
Timestamp: Night of the 22nd of Autumn, 513AV

It was dark. A dark so deep that even with Akajia's gift, Rosela could not see through it. Despite this, the darkness did not bother her; in fact, it felt trembling and excited, as though bursting with potential. A blank canvas, a new bolt of fabric.

As a child, she'd once drawn on the murals of her home. The slaves had ushered her away and washed it off before her parents saw, but she'd gotten a stern talking-to from her Nani. Her child's mind never did fully understand why no one had appreciated her additions, only that young ladies did not draw on walls.

There was no one to drag her away now, however. The child-Rosela drew with steady hands the facade of the shop she would one day own, taking care to color in with her chalk the ivy and the purple satin dress in the window. It did not concern her how she drew the tops of the doors and windows, only that they were there by her making. It also did not concern her that there was no true wall behind her chalk, allowing her to essentially draw on the air itself. All that mattered was the act of creation, and the simple, sweet act of creating that which no one was there to take away from her. The lines seemed to glow faintly, her slice of Syna against the dark.

She set about making a fence-like border, an semi-circle row of nameless flowers. They sprouted from the black, formless floor, supported only by two simple leaves at the bottom. A tune echoed through the space, startling her, until she realized it was the lullaby her Nani would sing to her when she was sad. Her Nani wasn't there though - she was many years long gone. Suddenly suspicious of what the darkness beyond her shop, she dusted off her frilled white skirt and peered imperiously out into the dark.

No one had any business here. This was her place.

She became aware of shifting movement in the dark, and a quiet, shuffling noise. Stamping her foot, she called out, "Come out! You're not supposed to be here!"

The shapes seemed to momentarily freeze in fear of her voice, before quietly resuming. "I said...oh." She stopped and swallowed nervously once before returning her arrogance to the forefront. In the faded light of her drawn flowers, familiar forms could now be seen among the masses; bodies. The shifting, dark bodies of slaves.
E
E
Last edited by Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:02 pm

E
E
Rosela knew what they were doing; they were working. What else did slaves do, but work? It was on their nameless, broken backs that the world kept turning. They knew their place.

...Most did, anyway.

A single body amongst the mass paused, and Rosela could see a single, matted head begin to rise. She flung a piece of chalk furiously at it, the tiny glow disappearing into the dark, and the head ducked back down. Slaves, like insects, had their unpleasant little place in the grand scheme of things, but had to be controlled, lest they grow out of control.

She knew with the absolute certainty of a child that it was up to her to keep these beasts away from her shop. They'd devour it if she gave them the slightest chance, tearing apart her hard work to snatch whatever little piece of it they could for themselves. Nostrils flaring, Rosela straightened her back and marched fiercely back and forth in front of her shop. One pair of arms crossed in front of her, another clasped behind her back, another set firmly on her child's hips.

A face, ugly and misshapen, passed over the light of her flowers. Stopping to glare at it, her wide, green eyes stared until it faded back into the shadows. Without any adults around, the responsibility to keep them in line fell to her. Small though she may be, she felt perfectly able to handle them.

They were afraid - all their kind was. They were right to fear her. One word and she could have them put to death. All she had to do was tell some tale of horrible wrong-doing, give it the right amount of tears, and the creature would be gone.

They were right to fear her.

So long as they kept their place, she would be a benevolent ruler.
E
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:02 pm

E
E
The slaves kept their peace in the shadows, toiling away at their nameless slave-work. Rosela even deigned to turn her back on them, and resumed adding bricks and ivy to her shop. It was fuller now, bright and beautiful. The lines were steadier, drawn by older hands, and she imagined she could see her now-adolescent self in the reflection of her drawn shop.

There was movement behind her, and she whipped around irritably. How dare they interrupt her with their mumblings? She felt the braided leather of a whip handle in her hand, a sensation she'd only felt a few times in her life.

Striding to her fence of daisies, she let the coils of the whip drop and she snapped her wrist to spread it out. The bangles at her whip wrist clinked against each other - they'd been her birthday gift on her twentieth birthday, despite her pleadings for a pony. She'd show these beasts. There'd be no insurrection while she-

The mumbling wasn't in response to her, she realized suddenly. Something was charging through the shadowed masses, moving with the steady, unstoppable force of a bull. It was coming, the horrible thing her parents had made for her. In panic, all thought of the disconcerted slaves disappeared and the whip in her hand became more chalk. If she could just make a little place to hide, and maybe she'd never have to leave...

The figure approaching was large and male, and he meant to drag her away by force if necessary. She looked up, watching his approach through the wedding pearls draped over her face. She didn't want to go, but there would be dire consequences if she didn't...
E
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:03 pm

E
E
Once he came into the view of the light, Rosela's fear melted away. This was not the tall, masculine figure she'd expected, but a small, bent man that she now remembered having married. Lowering her chalk, her lips twisted into an irritated snarl, angry at having gotten worked up over something so ridiculous. "You can't come in," she called out. "But you can sleep in the corner by the gate."

His eyes were beady and nervous, his skin growing darker like that of the slaves that parted in front of him. There was something behind him though, something that had made his figure seem bigger than it was. Rosela, now in her silken nightgown, took a step back in horror. It couldn't be her, it just couldn't.

"No! What is that hag doing here? Get back, you're not welcome!"

"Well, someone needs to get this place into shape. Just look at this dust; and you let these pitiful excuses for slaves get away with this?"

"It is clean, that's just the dirt you dragged in!"

"Excuses, girl. And just look at you, running around in barely nothing. Is this how you normally greet guests?"

"It's the middle of the ni-" Rosela's reply was drowned out by the murmur of a hundred slaves, turning their misshapen heads to point their beady little eyes at her.

The Grandmother shuffled closer, protected by the bent form of her grandson.

They were bringing blood and fire to her, she remembered now. It was all going to come crashing down soon. Drawing furiously, she shored up her fence of daisys with more daisies, then roses, then lilies. The shop itself behind her seemed to dim. She was losing everything familiar to her and even the slaves were drawing back. They didn't retreat from her out of respect, it was simple, terrible lack of interest. Her adult hands fumbled with the chalk, and it fell with a deafening shatter upon the dark ground.

She would be making no more additions while they were here.
E
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:04 pm

E
E
"Didn't I treat you right?" Her husband's voice was soft and weepy. "I gave you everything you could have wanted?"

"You didn't give me anything, I took what I-"

"Marital disputes? My, what would the neighbors say..."

"Your husband's been dead for years, what would you know about being married anymore?"

"Enough that I was halfway through my first pregnancy at this point in my marriage."

Rosela's hand flew to her stomach, horrified that simply by speaking it, the Grandmother would have made it happen. Her stomach was flat as ever though, though with a little more pudge than it would have later in life. "I am not a brood mare."

"Ha! Just what do you expect wifely duties are?"

"Putting up with nasty old crones who aren't even alive anymore!" Speaking the truth brought a hush over everything: the masses of shifting slaves, Rosela's husband, and even the Grandmother. Rosela's hands flew to her mouth, but the words were spoken. Desperate to take advantage of the sudden reversal, Rosela resolutely lowered her hands and advanced, stopping at the edge of her fading flowers. "You're dead, you old bat. I..." She couldn't stop now. This was her only advantage anymore, her final arrow to fly. "I killed you. You came at me when I was armed, you senile old woman. Trying to blackmail me! What did you expect?"

"I sure as spit didn't expect my grandson to marry a murderer."

The words cut Rosela to the quick, as the Grandmother always seemed to know how to do. "I'm-I'm not-"

"Not a murderer? Not a cold blooded killer?"

Was she? Could she be? The moment dragged on, and the longer she hesitated, the dimmer her shop and flowers became. If she didn't make a move, they'd be gone from her forever. "You know what? Fine! That what I am. You caught me." Throwing caution to the wind, she threw her arms out, accepting the scandalized murmurs that echoed around them. "You know what else? You deserved it! You deserved everything you got, you petching old woman!"
E
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:04 pm

E
E
"But what about..." Her husband's voice was weak and fearful, all six arms pulled tight against his body.

"You? What about you?" Rosela rounded on him furiously, feeling herself swell in anger. "Do you even realize what a waste of space you are? You ran from me, you coward. You took off like a little girl about to tattle. Why were we even married? It was all just a big, fat, time-consuming sham. I would have been better off if I had left Eyktol before we'd ever met. You were just another obstacle I had to step over to get out."

Rosela felt as though they were getting smaller, or perhaps she was getting bigger. In any case, she felt bolder with every passing word. "You both were just obstacles. I grabbed what I needed to get where I am, and maybe that whole mess didn't turn out like I'd hoped, but look at where I am now! I don't need your petching inheritance!" They were the size of cats now, her husband shrinking away while the Grandmother stood strong, back arching to look up at her.

"I'd say you do, little Miss High-and-Mighty! Your parents' business was an empire, and what do you have? A little shop on the side of the street?"

Rosela's hands slammed to the ground in a circle around the Grandmother. Her husband was gone, she didn't care where to, but the bag of bones before her, now the height of a small, yapping dog, would finally understand her place. The slaves scattered, save for the few that were crushed as crumpled paper under her hands. "I may not have an empire now, you miserable old woman, but just wait." She felt her shop behind her grow, no longer chalk lines but stone and wood, seeming to back her words with a veritable mountain. "This is my empire, and it'll grow. It'll be beyond anything you've seen, and Ahnatep will weep to wear my fashions. If only you had bowed to me, you may have lived to see it."

"I wouldn't have bowed to you, you second class wretch!" The Grandmother's was high and irritating, and for a glorious moment, Rosela heard what the old woman sounded like when she was afraid. "You-you...You were weak to have been cowed in the first place! If you had the strength to do it, you should have fought back with words! On equal terms!"

"And why..." She lowered her head to sneer down at the old woman, hovering mere inches above her tiny head. "Is killing you not fair play? You're old, and weak. I burned you away so I could grow. If you'd known your place as the weaker of us, you might have been spared. Even now, you don't see how far beneath me you are."
E
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Empire

Postby Rosela on November 2nd, 2013, 6:05 pm

E
E
It was hot and empty in the dark, the bright lights of Rosela's shop casting her long shadow along the empty floor as she kneeled over a tiny figure shaking it's fists furiously up at her.

"Murderer! Killer! That's all you are! That's all you'll ever be!"

"Goodbye..." Rosela sang softly as she lifted one hand and pressed it over the still-protesting Grandmother. With a slight pressure and a puff of dust, she was gone.

Sighing, Rosela sat back on her heels and looked around. With no frame of reference to compare to, beyond her massive shop, she felt normal sized again. She was in her tiger-stripes and chiffon dress, and a sense of normalcy came over her, as though the events of the past few chimes - or was it bells? - had not happened. Still...a weight had been removed from her heart and she had the sudden urge to spin around and watch the chiffon of her dress flutter around her.

Standing up with a stretch, she turned to stare at her shop, feeling in its warm glow the regard of a thousand people. She could see the shop still stretching, needing only her attention to grow, like a flower in the sun. She saw a hundred unnamed storefronts inside, people milling about, shopping, talking. Every one of them was there for her wares, for the things that she made specifically to draw them in. She couldn't see exactly what was in the store fronts, but she knew all of it was beautiful.

She drew in a breath, taking in the warm scent of her fame and fortune. They were looking at her, all of them. Admiring, wishing, praying. As the lights of her glorious shop - her empire - blended together into a single field of white, she felt god-like.

God-like.
E
E

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes