Closed Be All Endal (Azira)

Marrin and an old friend are rudely interrupted on their way out to drinks.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Be All Endal (Azira)

Postby Marrin on November 5th, 2013, 6:49 am

27th Day of Autumn, 513

Wynrie and Marrin had known each other for ages, since they became great friends as Yasi. They had done everything together from day one, and had come to treat each other like siblings. They’d do their best to be assigned bendi together, and when they didn’t one would often sneak away to switch positions with someone the other was matched with. They’d been apprenticed under the same hunting master, but had been separated when, in midsummer, Wynrie had bonded with one of the great Wind Eagles of Wind Reach.

She was slim, short red hair far from brushing her shoulders, her clothing provocative and outstanding in the way only an Endal could afford. Tattoos covered the high left corner of her back, ending with her shoulder blade, detailing the short amount of time she’d spent with her eagle. Despite the limited span of her Endalship, she’d had a great many adventures learning to fly and such in summer, learning all the intricacies of her new caste. She’d decided the best way to record it was using her body as a living canvas, walking about with her life story on display in symbols and pictures. She planned to one day be covered in stories to tell to the young ones.

But for now, she was young, having just picked up Marrin from his encampment at one of the many forward camps. He’d just finished a moderately successful hunt, one of his best this season, but still far from being able to be called good in any sense of the word. None the less he was proud, and had decided that tonight was the night to take his old friend out for drinks at the Inclimate Weather. Syna had only just licked the horizon, peeking down from above the murky blanket of clouds that had been covering the skies as of late. The underside of the clouds now shone in hues of orange, red and gold, a mosaic of grand illusion.

”Did you hear? The water up here had been tasting strange as of late. I’m not sure what to make of it…” she said, linking her arm with his as they walked. ”What do you think?”

Marrin shrugged, this being the first he’d heard of the situation. ”Can’t say for sure. Could just be the way the water’s flowing. I wouldn’t worry too much about it if the Valintar hasn’t said anything. He’d tell us if something was wrong.”

”If he could manage to find the time. I hear the Yasi are particularly troubling this year.”

”I wouldn’t be so quick to judge them if I were you. Wasn’t too long ago that you and I were among those ‘troublesome youth’.”

”Oh, I’ll show you troublesome!”

And so the two of them walked, arm in arm, chattering amongst themselves and laughing all the way.

Reference :
Last edited by Marrin on November 7th, 2013, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Speech in an italic font is spoken in Nari."
"Speech in unmodified font is spoken in Common."
"Speech in bold font is NPC speech."
Nonspeech text in italic font is internal dialog.
Marrin
Slave to an Unknown Destiny

Words: 94562
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2013, 3:45 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Endal Be All (Azira)

Postby Azira on November 5th, 2013, 7:07 am

Azira was tired. Today's hunt had been long and more taxing on her than usual. It wasn't her fault, she was so tired, it was the nightmares. Her sleep had been plagued by them since the last time that she had seen Marrin. The threat of becoming a Dek hanging over her head had not surprising dredged up memories that had brought on the screaming dreams. Nobody would know that she screamed of course. Nobody outside the room would ever hear such a sound from the young huntress, she was too well practised at muffling them.

While she could hide her screams, she couldn't hide the shadows under her eyes that looked more like bruises, an obvious sign of your exhaustion. Her movements were unusually lethargic as well but despite her tiredness she couldn't go asleep yet. No way was she going to face the nightmares this early so she was just walking around the Inner Warrens.

Her hair hung loose about her face to protect her from any curious stares as she passed people heading for a night of revelry in the Inclement Weather. How anyone could think of going to such a place for fun astounded the Avora. She'd never been in it but she honestly couldn't see the attraction.

The girl passed a couple linked arm in arm, the woman clearly an Endal with clothing like that. Looking back in disgust at the sheer amount of skin she'd been showing, she spotted the blonde headed man beside her. Somehow she'd been so focused on his companion that she hadn't noticed him but now that she had she felt her blood boil.

Pushing her hair from her face, she called after him, "Oi, half-breed!" That would have been enough to catch his attention but there was no guarantee that he'd turn, that he'd answer to that name so she had to try again. "Hey Marrin, that your little girlfriend?" An Endal. Were his fellow Avora not good enough for him?

x
4 out of 5 active threads

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Words: 907811
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Endal Be All (Azira)

Postby Marrin on November 5th, 2013, 7:24 am

The pair stopped, Marrin rolling his eyes. He knew that voice. It was Azira, the fellow Avora he’d been doing his best to create a positive relationship with, yet every interaction seemed to take a turn for the worst. The same had happened here before he’d even spoke a word. Still, one word struck him like a battering ram. Halfbreed. And it brought friends with it, words she’d said to him before that could only push him into dizzying despair or shaking rage. Coward. Pathetic. He wasn’t sure which he was going to get involved with this time.

”You know this girl? She seems to know you,” was all Wynrie muttered to him. Before he could protest, she’d spun to confront his verbal assailant. ”And who might you be? Another perspective shopper looking to steal my man from me?” Marrin couldn’t help but snicker as he turned around, shaking his head. It was always a joke between them, everyone thought they were courting when meeting the two in concert for the first time. Little could be further from the truth, their sibling-like relationship closing all doors to that kind of relation far before they hit puberty.

”Oh, c’mon, Wyn, let me fight my own battles,” he argued, making his way between the two women. Wynrie’s wry smile played at the corners of her lips, whispering a silent I know something you don’t to any that met her eye. In that particular moment, that was Azira.
Marrin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Endal Be All (Azira)

Postby Azira on November 5th, 2013, 9:12 am

The pair stopped of course. The huntress had been intending to walk away, to not have an encounter with him this time. Yet she had said words to provoke him. She could only reason that it had been an opportunity to inflict damage and so she had taken it, that was all. There was no other reason for it.

The Endal woman had stopped to whisper in Marrin's ear before turning on Azira. The girl stood her ground, trying to remember not to insult the woman. Endals were not a good bunch of people to show cheek too but if her temper got the better of her... She'd have to make sure that didn't happen. She raised an eyebrow at the woman, noting the hunter sniggering away behind her. She was careful to keep her face fairly neutral.

"Oh no by all means keep him. I wouldn't be desperate enough to buy him even for a discount," she replied, sticking with the woman's shopping analogy. Her braids were encroaching on her face again so the huntress shoved them out of the way, irritated. Marrin stepped between them then, wanting to talk to herself but he didn't block this "Wyn" from view. 

There was something about the woman's expression that said she knew something that no one else knew. It was the look in her eyes and the way her lips quirked up in an almost secretive smile. The huntress frowned as she regarded the woman, trying to work out why she looked so damn smug.

Returning her gaze to the hunter, she cocked her head to the side. "Oh it's a battle now, is it? she asked coolly.

x

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Endal Be All (Azira)

Postby Marrin on November 6th, 2013, 5:05 am

Wynrie scoffed at Azira’s shopping comment, finding a level of humor in it. Her appreciation at the quick and witty quip showed plainly on her face, but her friend had still been insulted. She was loyal to the end, and tenacious when provoked. The only thing keeping her from tearing into Azira verbally was Marrin’s request she not get involved. The two of them had history, she could tell, though she hadn’t heard of the girl before. She’d have to ask what this was all about later, but now was neither the time nor place.

”Let’s be honest, Azira,” Marrin replied, looking mildly unwilling to deal with the situation. ”Every time we speak there’s a battle. I’d rather not deny it.” He really didn’t need this sort of interruption now. The hunting trip had gone as well as he could have hoped for such a poor hunting season, and he hadn’t spent time with Wynrie since Summer. This rude interruption was ruining his good mood, and his eyes nearly begged Azira to back off and leave the pair alone. He didn’t want any more trouble. Didn’t want another fight in was seemed to have become a spontaneous emotional war for the pair.

”Now, did you need something or are you just being petty and disruptive?”
Marrin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Endal Be All (Azira)

Postby Azira on November 6th, 2013, 8:47 am

The woman had shown some amusement at the huntress's comment but her eyes were still hard. She was obviously offended because Marrin was. That knowing smile that had flitted across the Endal's lips was still annoying her. She had no idea what that could have been about and she certainly didn't like somebody thinking they knew something about her. This woman certainly didn't.

The girl rolled her eyes at the hunter's words. "Honestly, the last time wasn't a battle. Need I remind you that you were the one to pull out a weapon, even if it was only to stab a table. I wouldn't exactly call that a battle," she retorted but in her head she agreed with him, something she wouldn't do aloud.

A battle always ensued between the two, a battle of wills and a battle of words. Each was trying to inflict damage on the other with sharp words so why not call it a battle? She understood what he meant but was it entirely necessary for him to bring it up in front of his girlfriend?

There was a near pleading look in his gaze as he effectively tried to dismiss her. Maybe she didn't want to go, maybe she wanted to stay and give him a piece of her mind for giving her nightmares. Yet he wouldn't want to listen to that and she didn't want to talk in front of that ridiculously attractive Endal. The Avora frowned wondering why the woman's appearance seemed important in her head but she pushed it aside.

She looked down at her feet and then gazed up at him through her lashes. "Maybe I did want to say something to you, did you think of that? But maybe I only want to talk to you. Perhaps now isn't the time," she replied softly, hoping that he'd realise what she was getting at without her having to spell it out.

x

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Be All Endal (Azira)

Postby Marrin on November 7th, 2013, 6:42 am

Her comment merely confused him, taking his comment and twisting it to speak about a physical confrontation. He was torn between explaining what he meant and retorting that the time before that, she had been the one to draw the blade and gave him the long white scar on his left shoulder. This confusion showed, though he kept himself from looking stupid, trying to show her she was making a fool of herself in front of Wynrie. But Wyn spoke up before that, interrupting Azira halfway through “But maybe I only want to talk to you.”

”You had to defend yourself against a table? Why haven’t I heard this story before?” she said, looking ever more smug and far more interested in the interaction between the two than before.

”Now really isn’t the time, Wyn,” Marrin muttered through gritted teeth, trying to quietly get the message across. Wynrie, as persistant and stubborn as she was, would have none of it. ”Now, what were you saying, Az-?”

”Oh, I think it’s the perfect time.” She slipped around him, coming face to face with Azira on the other side of Marrin. ”I’m afraid I haven’t heard much about you. My name’s Wynrie, and it’s nice to meet you.” Her smile was far from sincere, more interested in learning about Marrins latest activities she hadn’t learned about than actually getting to know their source. Whether they were true or not, Wynrie was a gossip sink, pulling as much social information into her grasp as possible for the young Endal, which was quite a lot due to her status. ”What’s all this about a knife and a table? I don’t believe I’ve heard this little tale before.”

Marrin rolled his eyes as he was shoved out of the way by an excited Wynrie, stumbling back a few feet but managing to keep his balance. Their sibling-like relationship extended into one of the most important elements of one where both members were close to the same age: the sibling rivalry. In this particular case, Wyn automatically had the upper hand, being far more charismatic than Marrin as well as holding one of the most respected caste positions in all of Wind Reach. That meant she would talk to anybody, and they didn’t have to like her, but usually had to do as she pleased. Her generally stubborn and disrespectful attitude among others of lower caste didn’t help with her likability, but it did make her quite forceful.

”Wynrie, please, I don’t recommend bothering too much with Azira,” he pleaded, placing a hand on her shoulder. He still liked Azira, despite their difficulties as a pair, and he knew Wynrie’s abrasive attitude might set her off and get her into a lot of trouble. He didn’t want that, no matter the threats he’d spouted before.

”I can handle myself,” she assured him, though she missed the point. He cared about both of them, and could only see this ending well if one of them walked away, and soon. He didn’t want a cat fight on his hands.
Marrin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Be All Endal (Azira)

Postby Azira on November 7th, 2013, 9:24 am

It was very rude and very annoying for the woman to interrupt her. The last thing she wanted was for the Endal bitch to take an interest; Azira wanted her gone. She only seemed interested in Marrin's exploits rather than the rest of what she said but even still, the huntress was instantly on her guard. There was just something about the woman that made her extremely uneasy, perhaps it was her forwardness to talk to her like that.

Marrin tried to get his friend to drop the subject but she seemed determined to find out what she could on the hunter's doings, stepping around him to introduce herself. The Avora didn't care to get to know the girl and she suspected that Wynrie wanted nothing more than gossip from her. The teen stared back at her impassively. She wouldn't tell the woman anything, why should she? Just because she wanted to know didn't mean that she had to give her the information. The reason for the knife shuddering in the table was only to remain between her and Marrin.

However, somebody changed her mind.

Marrin had attempted to intervene again, probably to avoid what he'd said and done coming out. He was self-interested in other words but the huntress threw him a filthy look when he spoke.

" I don’t recommend bothering too much with Azira."

Why he would dare to say that, she didn't know. It made her sound like she wasn't worth the effort of talking to. It seemed a cruel thing to say, even by her standards, just to make the woman leave her alone but Wynrie's reply made his meaning clear. He thought she was going to blow up and attack an Endal! How stupid was he! Clearly he had shyke for brains because she certainly wasn't going to attack another of the higher caste members anytime soon. The only reason that she'd allowed her temper to get out of hand was because he was foreign and she saw him as being different to the others.

Turning to the woman, she decided to give her a revised version of the story, just to get back at the hunter for daring to think that she was an idiot. "Oh, did he not tell you? He stabbed a knife into a table at dinner to make a point. He wanted me to know that he's willing to stab a person or say...cut off their fingers." Her tone was surprising casual, none of her anger at the man had seeped into it. Could she come up with anything to humiliate or hurt him with? No, not without doing harm to herself so she left it at that.

"I thought it was a very rude way to interrupt my dinner. He could have just said it after all," she added.

x

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Be All Endal (Azira)

Postby Marrin on November 8th, 2013, 6:50 am

”You threatened to cut off her fingers?” Wynrie was astonished, and it showed on her face as she looked back at her blonde friend. That was terribly unlike him, and a ripe, juicy story he’d never hear the end of. ”You naughty boy!” Her tone made it seem as if she cared nothing for the actual situation, not for Azira and not for Marrin but more in the scandalous nature of his actions. It was as if she didn’t care what he did, or to whom, as long as it made a good story afterwards. All she wanted was to be the one who knew what nobody else knew, and to know it before anyone else. She had to be first in line for everything, and this was one of the rare occasions where she got her wish.

Marrin on the other hand, was sputtering, at a loss for words. She’d left out so much information that she made it seem as if he’d come out of the blue while she was eating dinner, rammed a knife into the table and threatened to chop off her fingers. In his eyes, he’d come to the table with diplomatic intentions, only to be toyed and manipulated into drastic and dramatic action that may or may not have involved ramming a knife into the table. That wasn’t what was important.

”Sh-she threatened to castrate me first!” he exclaimed, as if it somehow justified his actions against her. It didn’t but it did manage to catch the gossipers attention enough to turn back to the golden-eyed redhead once more.

”Is that so,” she muttered, more of a statement than a question. She placed a finger on Azira’s cheek, circling her like a vulture as her finger slid along her cheekbone and over the surface of her hair. ”Now what would you ever want with Marrin’s…well…” she cleared her throat as she rounded the girl to look her in the eye again. ”I mean it works so much better if it’s still attached to the boy. If you wanted a hookup all you had to do was ask me. And if he simply wouldn’t do I’m sure I could smuggle a cucumber out of the kitchens for you.” Her grin was simply vile, her mouth dripping vulgarity without a second thought. She was untouchable. At least, as far as the Avora were concerned, she was.
Marrin

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Be All Endal (Azira)

Postby Azira on November 9th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Damn, she hadn’t meant for the Endal to pick up on that. Wynrie had brought up the matter now and Azira was certain that Marrin would have to bring up the whole threatening-to-castrate-him thing. She didn’t want that being brought up but yet there was no escaping it as he had to blurt it out to justify his own actions. The huntress found herself watching the woman anxiously, expecting a bad reaction. She certainly seemed protective of the hunter so she could see a lot of trouble in her near future. Her reaction however was completely unexpected.

The woman touched her. That was just a no. Flinching slightly at the touch as if the woman’s fingers burned her, her face froze by degrees, what little colour she had draining from her face. The Endal’s words made red briefly bloom in her cheeks but the very thought of what she was suggesting made the colour drain away again.

The woman’s smile was simply disgusting, an expression that as far as Azira was concerned she never appear on a woman’s face. It just looked wrong. Her mind flashed through possibilities. If she hit the girl and knocked out some of her teeth then maybe she’d be less inclined to smile. If she didn’t keep her nails so short then maybe she could have scratched her eyes out. Her hunting knife was also in easy reach, just sitting in the holster at her hip.

She’s an Endal! She’s an Endal! She’s an Endal! she screamed at herself, trying to drive the possibilities from her head. If she did anything to the woman with absolutely no reason (provocation didn’t count) then she’d be up in front of the Valintar and the consequences would be bad for her. Very bad.

The teen took a step back from the Endal. Her hands were clenched into fists, her short nails digging into her palms. If she didn’t leave now then she was going to do something regrettable. If she looked likely to be a “danger” then she would lose her fingers. That wasn’t going to happen if she could keep control of herself, something that she couldn’t manage if she stayed here.

”If I wanted anything to do with a cucumber, I’d go to the kitchen and chop one,” she muttered darkly, before turning on her heel and muttering to herself, “Don’t hit the wall, you need your knuckles. Don’t hit the wall.” She needed to hit something now or she was going to go mad.

x

Azira
Prodigal Daughter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Next