Perfectionism

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum you can find and share resources and advice for writing a post, novel or any other form of prose.

Perfectionism

Postby Maddox on August 12th, 2010, 3:32 am

The biggest thing holding my writing back is perfectionism. My story will be flowing fine until I come to a part where I can't find quite the right word or phrase, and I will agonize over it instead of moving on and writing the rest of the scene.

"The perfect is the enemy of the good"

Does any one else have this problem? Any tips on getting over it?
Maddox
A man with a mission

Words: 7865
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2009, 3:28 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Perfectionism

Postby Tarot on August 12th, 2010, 7:47 am

Ah, the quest for the mot juste. :) There's nothing inherently wrong about your mindset. It all depends on what you're looking to get out of your writing.

However, if you really want to tame your inner editor, you should try NaNoWriMo next November, if you aren't already doing it. Its philosophy is "the good is the enemy of the fast", and that sounds like a good change of pace for you. Quite a few Mizaharians are NaNoers, myself included, and we encourage people to write Miza-based novels should they feel like it (they can also get canonized if they respect our lore).

I've learned to just ride the writing through the rough parts. I am guilty of horrible repetitions and a few weird-sounding sentences, but then again I write more for the story than for the stylistic exercise. Moving the story forward is my reward, and I can make sacrifices to that end. Needless to say, your mileage may vary, but you might want to consider what you consider to be rewarding about the act of writing and focus your mind on reaching that state when you write.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Perfectionism

Postby Gossamer on August 12th, 2010, 4:02 pm

I'm more guilty of wanting to please the reader or in Mizahar's case, the person I'm threading with as a mod. I think sometimes my story looses its voice because of that need. Its almost writer co-dependency. But I've gotten better in the past little bit, trying not to make it so 'easy' on folks when they make glaring mistakes or overlook details. My hints have grown more subtle and my style more wordy.

But I do understand what you mean about perfect. My particular brand of perfection in regards to a PC is really nailing their voice perfectly. I hate it when I am writing for a PC and that need comes out. I have to start thinking more like 'PC X' rather than Jen and it does become annoying.

I second the recommendation for NaNoWriMo.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Perfectionism

Postby Satu on August 13th, 2010, 3:14 am

*Raises hand. Guilty!

I am guilty of that too. I am one of those people that writing does not come easily to. So I edit and re-edit and re-edit my posts about 500 times, to get the right words down that make sense and flow together. It's hard not to get bogged down and it really slows me up.

But like Jen and Tarot have suggested, I am also planning on joining the NaNoWriMo writing family this November. I'm hoping it helps me too!

Though inland far we be,
Our souls have sight of that immortal sea
Which brought us hither.
~William Wordsworth, Intimations of Immortality

Signature Credit goes to:
archistock.deviantart.com
jurgita.com
catskullcollector.deviantart.com
and the ever lovely and helpful Hex for putting it all together!
Satu
Flower of the Sea

Words: 296249
Joined roleplay: September 13th, 2009, 3:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Perfectionism

Postby Leviathan on August 13th, 2010, 4:01 am

Hey Guys, just doing a little thread stalking here.
Until I saw this, I have never heard of NaNoWriMo, but I think I will also give it a shot. I don't know much about it, but the website can surely fix that for me.

Obviously though, I have some troubles with writing as well. Even though I can manage to write even when my posts make me dread every trying to roleplay at times, there are times I feel like I do well. Perhaps this is different then what everyone else is talking about, but my consistency of writing is consistently inconsistent. I can't often manage the same size and quality of posts each time, which is something I always strive for, and beat myself up for when I don't.

thanks Tarot for putting that little link there, I have a feeling it will help me out a ton.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Perfectionism

Postby Maddox on August 13th, 2010, 6:02 pm

Leviathan wrote:I can't often manage the same size and quality of posts each time, which is something I always strive for, and beat myself up for when I don't.

That's pretty much the same thing that happens to me. Sometimes everything just flows and the section seems to take care of writing itself, and other times I need to pore over every word to get it up to snuff. I've been making myself write something every single day, but it's really hard to turn off that 'inner editor' sometimes.

I'd heard of NaNoWriMo before, and I think I will try it this year. It could be just the thing I need...
Maddox
A man with a mission

Words: 7865
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2009, 3:28 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)