Solo [Arms Gallery] Staff Crafting

Vira buys her very first staff!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Arms Gallery] Staff Crafting

Postby Lavira on November 14th, 2013, 4:11 am

Timestamp: Fall 30, 513

After Mohya had picked her up, Vira had returned to the Market Place to see if any of the stalls had anything that might be worth purchasing in terms of staffs. Wood was a hard to come by commodity so she knew that she’d have to get a metal staff of some kind, perhaps something with a leather grip? Well, maybe that didn’t matter as much. She cared more for a weapons effectiveness to a weapons comfort. So it was, when she had walked through the whole of the market and found nothing suiting her needs, she left and headed into the city to seek out the Arms Gallery. They would definitely have something she was looking for.

The walk to the forges took longer than she’d anticipated, but it was only because a team of Yasi had been pulling a prank on some Chiet fellow who just wanted to get his load of clothes delivered to their appropriate locations. Vira had thought to chastise the group, but she could see it was really harmless fun that they were doing and not something worth stressing over. The Endal let the kids and Chiet be, continuing on to the Gallery and the sweaty men and women hard at work within.

Almost immediately, one of the blacksmiths called her over, the teen not even having the chance to ask who to seek for assistance. He was a smaller man with a black leather apron hanging around his neck and tied around his waist. A hammer and tongs were in his hand and he appeared to be working on some kind of sword (a talon sword, she suspected, given the slight curve to it). “Need somethin’, miss?”

“Yes, actually. I was wondering who I might see to have a staff made for me; I’m doing so-“ She was cut off as the man gestured with his hammer.

“Burjal is who you want. Simple weapons, nothing fancy.”

“Oh, alright, thank you!” The teen replied and headed to the figure he had so indicated.

Burjal was a strawberry blonde giant for an Inarta, his eyes a liquid gold that reminded her of Mohya’s. His broad shoulders were working the bellows of one of the ovens, raising the temperature to a sweltering one inside. When he finished, he opened the door and used the tongs to pull a length of steel from within, laying it across one of the anvils to begin pounding away at it. Vira stepped near the anvil and cleared her throat.

The golden eyed man raised his eyes briefly to her, then lowered them, continuing to pound. She had got his attention, and figured now was a good opportunity to speak. “Blacksmith Burjal? Hi, I’m Endal Lavira. I was needing something made, if you could spare the time.”

“I’m obligated to; what do you need, Endal?” He replied simply.

“Just a staff; there weren’t any available from in the market today.”

“Any preferences?”

“Yes, actually; steel is fine for the metal. I need it an inch and a half in breadth and four feet in length.” Four felt like a good estimate for her stature. The raise of the smithies eyes to her made her guess he was trying to gauge whether she was right in her estimations.

“Right; give me two days. Anything else?”

“I would like a leather covering.”

“Send it to one of the leatherworkers for fitting when it’s done and they’ll do that for you.”

“Then I guess that’s that! Thank you for your time, Burjal.”

“Mmhm. Come by tomorrow night to test the weight so I can adjust it before it’s too set.”

“That’s fine; see you then.”
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lavira on November 15th, 2013, 12:45 pm

The next day proved busier than she would have expected, most of her time spent in flight training with the rest of the team, perfecting maneuvers with the Flight Leader, training on her archery from Mohya's back (which she still sucked at), and doing some endurance training with the giant bird. The eagle did not do so well in that; she was powerful, but would never hold up against a team from the Wild Harriers. Mohya's skills lay in hunting, not long-distance travel.

So it was that Vira and Mohya returned to the city exhausted and dirty. The sun was starting to set, too, which meant she was nearly out of time to get back to the Arms Gallery that night before the forges were closed till morning. The young woman hastened to change out of her disheveled clothing and into something more comfortable then headed to the forges to meet with Bursal once again. She made a mental note to go over to the Kitchens, too, to get some dinner for her and Kovac.

At home, the teen stripped from her gear and and tried not to fall into her standard routine of obsessively cleaning everything before moving on, and changed into some clothes of relaxation. She grabbed her coin purse afterwards, left Tulaj, and then headed down to the gallery just as Leth was starting to rise. Nights came early during the autumn season, and earlier still in winter, so Vira had to navigate some of the warrens in near darkness as these were set on the outside of the mountain-city.

It took around ten chimes in all to get from the Ivory Aerie down to the gallery, and once she'd arrived, most of the workers were gone. Bursal was getting ready to pack up and head home, too, when she entered and called out to him. "Hey, Bursal! Bursal, wait, sorry I'm late."

The man looked up at her, a frown of disappointment on his face at her tardiness. "I told you when to come by."

"Yes, I know. We only just got back; had flight training today."

The man continued to stare in shame at her before turning to the rack where one of the weapons was that he was working on. It was a long and simple steel shaft that he lifted from the rack and handed across to her. "If it's too long, I can trim it down a little more." He explained as she held it in her hands and tried to gauge its weight.

"It's pretty light." She commented, stepping away from the man and giving it a test strike. "But smooth." She did a couple more strikes to see if it would work but the weapon kept catching against her bryda in the flowers. "It'll need about half an inch off both ends, I think, and then it'll be fine."

Bursal nodded at her and accepted the staff back, moving to the still immensely hot forges and opening one of the doors. He stuck the rod in and waited about a three chimes before pulling it back out. Once he had, the end that had been in the heat glowed white hot. He placed this just over his anvil, grabbed a set of metal sheers specifically made to cut metal, and clipped the inch she needed.

He dipped the tip into the bucket of water nearby afterwards, and took a polishing iron from the bin. This he then used to sand the tip to take the cut off any of the edges of what should be a blunt tip. "I'll let it cool the rest of the night; come back in the morning for it."

And that was that! First thing at Syna the next day, Vira would return to pick the staff up, thanking the weaponsmith and paying for the product. He had been tempted to charge her more than it was worth until she argued it back down to 25GM. She was glad the business had been concluded, though, for it meant training with Greco would be able to continue as smoothly as it had started!
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Skerry on December 14th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Grades

Lavira

Skill XP
Negotiation 1XP
Observation 4XP

LORES :
  • Burjal: Maker of simple weapons
  • Metal is made pliable by heat and cooled in water
  • A polishing iron sands metal edges

Notes:
Short and sweet for once. Couldn't award a massive amount in terms of XP. Gave the point in negotiation for working out the details of the staff. I'll just point out that in your first post you called blacksmith Burjal but Bursal in the second post. I went with the first but if that's wrong let me know.

Remember if you have any questions about or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook