New Beginnings (Gillar pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Cassandra Coven on August 14th, 2010, 9:54 am

38th of Summer, 510 AV
Location: The Docks (continuation from the Southern Trading Post)

Cassandra could not believe her luck at getting through the guard house so easily. She fully expected to have to bribe her way through the place, or worse, being penniless, be forced to curry unpleasant favors for the gate guards. The look the one she had talked to had passed over her was telling enough: she had seen such looks plenty of times upon the faces of the many patrons she had served in the tavern back in Syliras to know what it entailed, and she thanked whichever god was watching her that nothing followed after that look.

Exiting the stone tower, the young woman descended the stone path and into the docks, climbing aboard one of the many Ravosala waiting to transport the many visitors that came into the city. She asked the ferryman to bring her somewhere where she could find a tavern. Remembering the words of the guard about the ferrymen asking for something extra if she wanted something other than ferrying services, she didn't bother to explain that she was looking for a job. She'll just have to find one for herself. The day is still early anyway but she must find someway to feed herself soon, as the last time she ate was the night before and she had thrown up most of her dinner as she struggled to bear her throbbing headache at the time. Hopefully, she won't experience a recurrence of that again.

The boatman dropped her off the Nitrozian Plaza, and, as she took her first steps into it, she noted how everything here looked so different from how things were in Syliras. The buildings were cramped close together, and the canals seemed as much used (or perhaps more so) as the cobbled streets. Her eyes caught several structures that she could tell immediately were taverns, but her eyes lingered longest upon a particularly quaint-looking one that seemed fairly populated by patrons despite its small size.

It seemed popular, and the fact that it was easily seen upon arriving in the plaza meant it would easily attract potential customers among the visitors of the city. Perfect place to gain employment. Cassandra approached it, prepared to walk through its doors and ask – even beg – the proprietor for a position as a barmaid, or even just a dishwasher, but she caught a reflection of herself upon a window of one of the nearby buildings. A woman with unkempt and tousled hair, ragged and bloodstained clothes, and well worn sandals stared back at her.

She looked like some refugee from a war-torn land! Trying her best to fix herself up, Cassandra spent several long minutes combing her long, dark hair with her fingers and straightening the creases on her clothes. There was nothing she could do about the tears and stains, but she hoped the owner of the establishment would take her in on account of her pretty, if currently smudged and dirty, face. Did it not serve her as one of the best barmaids in Syliras? She could net any man in the streets to stop by and have a drink with her looks, most especially if she used her charming smile on them. Surely the tavern's owner would see this! He must hire her!

For in all honesty, she did not want to live the life of a beggar.

Taking a deep breath, her heart somewhat pounding in her throat, Cassandra approached the little tavern and walked through its doors.

OOCThe tavern is the Silver Sliver Tavern.
Last edited by Cassandra Coven on January 11th, 2011, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is something
i have to say to you
if you promise you'll understand
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Words: 205763
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2010, 8:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seth on January 8th, 2011, 1:53 pm

As Cassandra entered, she was almost instantly ran into, a rather large woman managing to spin out of the way just in time. The huge human, easily weighing over 300 pounds, merely gave Cassandra a wink and carried on, greeting the young human in a sing-song voice. "Welcome to the Silver Sliver, young miss! I apologize for getting in your way, it is just a bit rushed today! Please take a seat, and I will get to you as soon as I can!" With that, the obese lady just vanished, the massive crowd within the room easily swallowing her up. Cassandra, having once been a barmaid herself, would probably be able to appreciate what she had just seen. The woman had managed to dodge a surprise attack, had also managed to weave through an incredibly crowded building, and had done it all with two large trays of various glass mugs propped on her meaty arms. It appeared the workers here were quite skilled, if that woman was to be an example. Would Cassandra be able to keep up, even with her own impressive skills?

Further examination would reveal a lot about the Silver Sliver. It was probably the most popular tavern in town, with the size of the crowd being what it was. People were seated at every single one of the round wooden tables, and the bar in the back was completely full. There was a stage on one side of the bar, and a few musicians played a quick and upbeat tune, one that a few of the patrons were attempting to sing along to. Barmaids were everywhere, scattered within the thick crowd, and hurriedly working behind the busy bar. A quick glance would show each of their skill, which was comparable to or better than Cassandra's own. If she had any sort of ego though, she would notice that she was the prettiest of the bunch. Another odd thing that she might notice would be the little shackles that each barmaid wore. Almost every single one of them, save for the fat lady, had a small silver wristband with an odd engraving on it.

It was of no concern though, and those particular barmaids still looked as jolly as the rest. It was a bright and upbeat place, a cheery kind of bar that Cassandra had likely not been expecting to find. After her experience at the Gates, she had probably been wondering what kind of favors she would have to pull. This didn't look like the kind of place for that.

"Hey, pretty lady." A drunk man came wandering up to Cassandra, tossing her a rather charming smile, a pint of silvery liquid held in his meaty paw. He wasn't particularly dirty or unkempt, but he was certainly slap-happy drunk. The smell of an incredibly strong alcohol was in the air around him, and gushed from his breath at every word. "We don't see that many women like yourself in here... The pretty types are usually at the Studio of Yae Varone... drinking coffee." He spit out the last word, looking disgusted. He didn't appear to be very harmless, just a drunkard looking for a quick bit of conversation. He wasn't making any moves at her, and had kept a few paces away. This was turning out to be quite dull, almost.

"Hector, leave the poor girl alone." The fat lady appeared out of nowhere, laughingly slapping at the drunkard, who sloppily backpedaled away from her teasing attack. "Aw, but Miss... I like her! She is almost as pretty as you!" Hector winked, blowing her wet kisses, causing her to slap at him more. "Get back to your seat, you fool! I have a new customer to help out!" Hector chuckled, tossing Cassandra a wink, and vanished back the way he had came. Meanwhile, the lady turned to Cassandra, giving her a wide grin. The lady was now somehow empty-handed, having served her dozens of drinks within at least a minute. By the looks of her, rolls of fat packed tightly into a bulging black dress... She didn't look like much. She did give off this warm feel though, like an old grandma would.

Lifting a hand, she touched a long red fingernail to Cassandra's chin, eyeballing her carefully. "Hun, you are dirty. You look tired, too. Have you been crying? What can Mama help you with?" The woman's voice was instantly nurturing and warm, caring and loving. Was it an emotion Cassandra would readily accept, especially after her rather intimidating first impressions of the dark city?
Seth
Retired Staff

Words: 100299
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Cassandra Coven on January 9th, 2011, 5:18 am

The Silver Sliver was unlike it the tavern Cassandra had worked in back in Syliras. For one thing, it was bright and cheery, with the sunlight pouring in from its many windows, so unlike the establishments in Stormhold Castle which had to use torches to light their interiors day in and day out. The place was crowded as well - too crowded for her taste - but then it seemed as if this was one of the more popular watering hole in the city.

The large, matronly woman she almost bumped into was gone as soon as she had appeared, expertly weaving through the maze of tables and tavern patrons as if she was half her girth and weight, not hitting anyone she drew close to. Cassandra lost sight of her in the crowd a moment later, partly due to some stranger who reeked of a distillery addressing her. She didn't know how to reply to his words but the fat woman's return saved her from having to say anything.

She called herself 'Mama' and she seemed nice enough, not like the disposition of the guards at the gates who ruined Cassandra's first impression of the city. Then again, those people worked for the local government, and if any of the rumors in Syliras about this city was to be believed, the ruling power, the Black Sun, were not exactly... friendly people. It was a nice change to come across a local who was the exact opposite.

"I...Hello," the young woman started tentatively. "Do you... do you work here? I just arrived in the city - the caravan I traveled with was ambushed and..." Remembering how she got arrived in Ravok, Cassandra took a moment to compose herself as she recalled the slain and her own near-death experience. She took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, I'm just looking to find work to feed myself. Do you know if the...tavern owner is about?"
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seth on January 10th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Mama stared directly at Cassandra, a stern look on her face, a meaty hand coming out to prop on a cocked hip. Well, it looked as if she was trying to cock the hip. With the various folds of fat practically dripping off of her body, it was hard to tell if a particular mass was positioned in a different way than any other. She did manage to give off something of a sassy stern aura though, so one could suppose she had achieved her objective. "An ambush? And you come straight here, looking for a job, trying to survive in this city? To feed yourself?" The woman grabbed Cassandra by the arm, not roughly so, just guiding her to a nearby empty chair amongst the dozens of people gathered. It was a little corner table with a single chair, perfect for those dark brooding strangers who always seemed to have a quest worth undertaking. Every tavern had one.

"You just sit right there, and Mama is going to take care of you. Mama knows a little something about feeding someone. What will you have?" The waitress spun on her heel, marching through the throng of people, a look of determination on her face. "No need to answer! Mama knows! You wait right there, sugah!" People parted for her, instantly making a neat little path for her rather curvy figure. She nodded, cocking her head back and forth, her sassy voice rising above all others in the tavern. "That's right! Ain't nobody gonna get in Momma's way!"

Just like that, she was gone, leaving Cassandra bewildered and flustered. That had all happened within mere moments. Would she stay like Mama had said, and await the further development of the scene? Or would she be leaving, which in turn would definitely leave her without a job? She didn't really have a choice in the matter, if she was serious about working here.

Moments would pass, and Cassandra would be able to look around, getting a further feel for the place. There were a couple of dark cloaked men about, hoods drawn up around them, giving them the classic 'mysterious stranger' appearance. They seemed to be seated with all the other patrons though, so they weren't as cold and withdrawn as their normal stereotype demanded. There were a few seedy-looking folks here and there, but every bar had those. So far, it looked like a nice and normal place. It would be pleasant to work here, it seemed. Would Cassandra accept this? After all, she had just had a string of bad experiences as of late. Would this be the one good experience to break her horrible luck?

"Here ya go." A plate was slapped down in front of her, containing a rather large amount of food. It was two slices of bread sitting beside of each other, piled high with slabs of bacon, a layer of scrambled eggs, cheese sauce, and then a finishing layer of hashbrowns. There was a ring of white gravy around the entire concoction, which seemed to be a completely original recipe. Looking up, Cassandra would be met with the smiling face of an old man, resembling Mama in weight and height. He was shirtless, sagging all over the place, and only wearing a pair of loose britches. Hitching them up on his body, he pulled up a chair and sat, his bright blue eyes warmly glancing her over. "Mama told me you were a mess, and you really are. And you come lookin' for a job, even in your current state? You look upset, too. How can Papa help you, Miss?" He motioned at her plate, pushing her a mug of milk, and offering her a fork. "Eat up. The Voice provides."
Seth
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Cassandra Coven on January 12th, 2011, 4:41 am

Pride made Cassandra try to protest, to insist that she did not want any special treatment, only that she be given a chance to earn her keep if they would allow her that. But her misfortunes had been too recent, the terror and the horrors of her experience too fresh in her mind still that when she suddenly recalled them, the strong facade she had put up - more for her own benefit than anyone else - cracked. Tears welled up in her eyes and threatened to fall. A body frail from the rigors endured in the wilderness the night previous grew weak; Cassandra could not shake the guiding hand of the kind woman as she was led to a corner table.

Her hostess left her there as soon as she sat down, shouting about how she, Cassandra, was to be fed. Bewildered byu the woman's action, Cassandra could only stare dumbfounded at her retreating form, forgetting her emotional turmoil for the moment. Did she happen upon an establishment that fed the poor, she wondered. But no, as she surveyed her surroundings, she knew that this was most certainly a tavern. One who has worked as a barmaid before would instantly recognize such places even if they were led inside blindfolded.

In no time at all, a large, flabby man, the male equivalent of Mama in all honesty, brought a plate full of food before her. Cassandra's stomach growled as soon as the aroma of it hit her nose. But she did not touch it, though she did accept the fork handed to her with a gloved hand. Instead Cassandra just looked up at the man who had served the generous meal.

"Th-thank you," she said with sincerity. She fixed up her blouse a bit, self-conscious of her appearance when the man, Papa, took note of it. "My name is Cassandra, sir, and, well, I know I look like I'm some beggar off the street, but I've just arrived in your city. And... and... I'm just looking for a place to work and maybe a place to stay for the night as well.

"Do you... are you the owner of this tavern, sir?"

She glanced away from the old man and into the main room, as if to reassure herself that she really was in a tavern.

"I have experience waiting on tables, and I can cook - a little. I just want..." Cassandra trailed off, fearing she would just repeat her words over and over again. She did not want to use her misfortunes to sway the man to grant her employment, but truly what else was there to say? She was afraid she was coming off like a babbling idiot now.

Lowering her head, she softly concluded, "I'm just looking to start my life over."
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seth on January 27th, 2011, 3:07 am

He nodded quickly at her words, giving her a small smile. "I came here looking to start over too, so don't think no one understands. I know the city can seem overwhelming and scary at times, but the way this world is now... This is the best place one can ask for. The Voice watches over us, and we have the Ebonstryfe and the Black Sun. No matter what is said about them, it can't be denied that this place is safe." He tossed down the fork in front of her, then scooted back, putting one of his giant hands onto his bulging stomach, and glanced her over again. "I demand you eat, though. I am offering you a free meal, and giving you a chance to taste my cooking. I will take it as a personal insult if you don't."

Hopefully she would take a few bites at this point, and if she did, he would eventually continue the conversation. "There ya go. Now, I need you to stand up. I want you to curtsy, I want you to give me a genuine smile, I want you to spin, and I want you to bend over and give me a generous view of your cleavage. All things that you should be doing if you are a good waitress. Up and at it, and try not to look too horribly depressed."

He motioned her up out of her seat, and watched. Although the idea might have made Cassandra slightly uncomfortable, the serious tone he spoke in made it clear that this was part of the interview. It needed to be done. If she glanced into his eyes though, perhaps that would comfort her. While the guards at the gate had been leering at her, checking her out in the most perverted of ways... The smile had dropped from his face, and he was now watching her with the most serious of looks. He truly wanted to see what she had to offer in terms of attractiveness, for he knew that it was what made waitresses popular.

Mama seemed to be the exception, but one could only guess how she had gotten here, or gotten to be so good. Perhaps she was Papa's wife? That would make sense.
Last edited by Seth on February 5th, 2011, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seth
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Cassandra Coven on January 27th, 2011, 5:52 am

Cassandra blushed slightly at Papa's words, before proceeding to dig the fork she was provided with into the dish. She took small bites of the food, her movements dainty and very much self-conscious, pinching off bite-sized pieces of the bread and dipping them into the cheese sauce and gravy. Finding them to her liking, Cassandra would tear off more bread pieces, occasionally scooping a little bit of the eggs, bacon and hashbrowns into her mouth. She chewed slowly, as if afraid to make a spill.

She did this a couple of more times, just enough to quell the grumbling in her stomach, before she took a sip from the glass of milk and looked up to Papa. A weak smile lit her face. "It's quite good. Thank you."

The large man's next request made Cassandra widen her eyes just a little, caught off-guard by its strangeness. But she recovered quickly, realizing it was some sort of test and not some fetish the man had for potential employees. She just thought of it as some sort of audition, like what hopeful actors would do to be part of a play.

Standing up, she moved away from the table, all the while trying to straighten her creased and tattered clothing in futility. She was a sorry sight, looking much like a rape victim or a refugee from a war-torn land, but she held herself up with as much grace as she could.

"I'm a mess," she said, wincing a bit in apology.

But Cassandra still complied, crossing her ankles and dipping as if to sit down, pinching her skirt at the sides just below her knees. She completed the motion by bowing her head slightly at the lowest point of the dip before straightening up. It was all abbreviated, however, especially the spreading of her skirt, for if she did otherwise, the large tear at the back of her skirt would provide the rest of the tavern a rather generous view of her buttocks and legs.

Cassandra knew such modesty didn't have a place in the job she was applying for. In fact, she had allowed men to grope or pat her behind just to earn a bit of a tip back in Syliras. She help up her hands in desperation, as if to gesture for Papa not to leave his place.

"I'm sorry! Please, my dress is falling apart." It was all an excuse, of course. She just didn't want the man to find her performance disappointing. "I'll do better. Just wait."

She bowed her head for a moment, closing her eyes as if in prayer. She had done all Papa asked for every day of her life back in Syliras. She knew she could do it. It was as easy as... as...

...putting on a mask.

When cassandra looked back up and opened her eyes, there was a distinctly diferent quality about her gaze. Her eyes were glassy, as if she was inebriated or drugged, and her movements were slow and sensual. Lips parted, the tip of her tongue peeked out and traced the contour of her upper lip, moistening them with her saliva, before she bit on one side of her lower lip. And then she leaned forward, her shoulders squeezing her modest breasts together to show cleavage. One shoulder was actually lower than the other that the strap of her dress on that end slipped to the side, revealing more skin than Cassandra had intended. But she paid it no mind.

"And what would you have, sir?" she asked Papa in a husky voice, her tone suggestive and playful at the same time. She drew back before the man could reply, spinning away from him in a flirtatious way, one that would have left many a tavern patron reaching out to make a grab at her retreating backside. Her torn skirt spun along with her movement, but not before giving Papa a teasing peek of the back of her long legs. And then she was back to her standing position, her back a little straighter, as if proud to display a little bit of her skill, her features placid as she awaited the man's critique.

Of course, Papa didn't know that Cassandra had just imagined him to look like a tall strapping young man, athletic in build, with long golden locks and an appreciative smile on his face.

Pretending was still as easy as it had been when she was still a small child playing house back in Zeltiva.
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seth on February 5th, 2011, 4:22 am

Papa nodded as she complimented his food, giving her a small smile. "That is something you will only find in Ravok. Remember it well. You will be selling a ton of those things, and we have at least a dozen different variations."

He then quieted, watching her patiently as she scooted away from the table and stood. She apologized for the mess she was, and he gave her a simple nod, that kind smile still crossing his features. No matter how flustered she managed to become, or how many times she apologized, he simply gave her that small nod and that patient smile. She would likely get the feeling that he was going to be a good boss, that he was going to be a patient and caring kind of man. Perhaps that was why this place bustled about so easily, and why everyone seemed to be having a good time.

She finally lowered her head, and as she lifted it, Papa gave a small nod and grunt of approval. Apparently he recognized the look on her face, and it was something he was quite familiar with. He studied her throughout her entire act, his warm eyes glancing over every inch of her being. He was a unique man in the fact that he went about this in such a business-like way, his eyes never wandering in any kind of un-professional way. He was simply doing this to judge how well she would go about her job, and his personal interests stopped there. He was the perfect type of man to own this kind of place, really. He waited until she was finished, making small little nods and noises or approval, and sometimes disapproval.

As she paused in front of him, he immediately spoke, abruptly and professionally. "You had a glazed look in your eye, and that is bad. You need to learn to get some emotion in those pretty orbs of yours. You are gonna have a few men who look into your eyes, and if they see that, they will know you are faking. You have to be genuine about it." He stood from his seat, and pushed his chair back in, meaty hands remaining on the wooden frame as he leaned forward to stare at her. "You are also a bit... slow. Your flirting has to be quick and to the point in this place. A brush of the hand, perhaps a quick flash of the chest. You have no time to focus your attentions on one man. You need to keep them all guessing, all wanting a touch, but only managing to brush you with a single finger. We are never slow here. You will have to be fast."

He stood straight, and regarded her quietly for another few moments, leaving her to wonder if she had failed. After a few moments of this uncomfortable silence though, he shrugged, that small smile coming back to his face. "But... all in all, you have promise. Come back tomorrow. I will have a dress for you to wear." He bent over the chair, his belly spilling over the wood, his short stubby fingers reaching out to pluck a long piece of paper from underneath a stack of napkins. "Here is our menu. Study it well. Be back tomorrow, early in the morning. I will see you then." He handed her the piece of paper, tipped her an imaginary hat... and like that, he was gone, hurrying back into where he had emerged from.

OOCYou can wrap this up in the next post. Please submit this to my office for judging, as well. There are a few things to cover.
Seth
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Cassandra Coven on February 5th, 2011, 5:25 am

Cassandra held her breath in anticipation, not sure how Papa would take her performance. But the man was quick to render his judgment, and he did it in such a professional way that the dark-haired girl could not help but be grateful for it. She blushed slightly at his critique.

"With the eyes thing, I was aiming for...uh..." She coughed, not sure if she should finish her sentence. Papa 's business-like tone told her he might not like being interrupted.

"Horny," she said at last. "The, um, younger customers kind of, well, like it. They think I'm into them." She bit her lip, embarrassed. She knew all about reading men's reactions to the nuances of a woman's appearance and approach to them after all.

His other criticism was easier to take. The tavern Cassandra had worked in Syliras was not as popular as the Silver Sliver seemed to be and she could take her time greeting each and every one of the patrons there. Not so here.

"I can work on that, yes," she guaranteed quickly, not wanting to disappoint. She really hoped the man would give her the job. It was the only way she knew to support herself. But when he spoke next, when that smallest of smiles peeked once more from his mouth, Cassandra knew she had nailed it. Her heart soared as he gave her the menu and told her to come back the next day, and he moved off to leave.

But Cassandra was not done yet.

"Wait! Wait!" she called out, hoping to halt Papa in mid-stride. "I mean, thank you for taking me but, um...about that? I really have no place to stay and I have no money, so...if it's okay, I would like to start now. I-I can cook for now, since I can't wait on tables wearing this. And-and I can clean up the place during closing time and lock the place down. I don't mind sleeping on the chairs either."

Cassandra knew she was begging. But the alternative was for her to spend the night in the street. She laughed nervously to cover up her shame but it was short-lived and she soon lapsed into silence.

"Please."
there is something
i have to say to you
i cannot contain myself
when in your presence
i'm so humble
touch me
don't hide our love
woman to man

Cassandra Coven
Tortured Soul

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seth on February 13th, 2011, 3:25 am

"No one cooks but Papa." The words came from the side, as did the woman, Mama careening into view. It was amazing how easily she had managed to appear, taking into account her generous amount of fluff. She seemed to handle it quite well, though. First she had danced through the crowd like she was light on her feet, and then she had managed to avoid getting hit by any of them. Now, she had just managed to sneak up on Cassandra like some kind of super skilled thief. This Mama was quite a woman.

Papa was long gone, ignoring Cassandra as she called out after him. Once he got moving, it was apparently quite hard to stop him.

Mama pressed close to Cassandra, and pushed a small little bag of Mizas into her hand. "Here you go, hun. Don't tell anyone. I overheard your plight though, and Mama wants to help. This will be enough to last you the week, until you get your first set of wages from here. Then, hopefully, you should be set. Just let me know if you need any more help, okay?"

Mama winked, pressed a kiss to Cassandra's cheek, and then moved along. She once more vanished onto the crowd, leaving Cassandra to ponder her amazingly good fortune. She had met quite the lot in her short time here in Ravok.
Seth
Retired Staff

Office

Next