Solo [Enclave] Researching Religion

The city continues cleaning up after the storm; Vira visits the Enclave to do some research

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Enclave] Researching Religion

Postby Lavira on November 15th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Timestamp: Fall 86, 513

A caste-celebratory bash; a massive storm; Tulaj's death; the Tisuma rape attempt...

Vira's mind was on overdrive, her obsessive compulsive nature making her need to act and do anything besides stand around overwhelming. She had visited the infirmary after calming down a little, but seeing that man there again had only set her nerves off and forced her to leave before they'd finished. The teen had then spent the afternoon in the Valintar's office going over everything that had happened when she'd went to the bath house, leading up to the incident itself.

Talking about it had made her uncomfortable, but it had to be done. Justice had to be served. But all Kaden had told her and Kovac was that the man would be, as expected, stripped of his rank and given ten lashes. He would be put into the mines so that is strength could continue to be put to use but he would not have access to things that might otherwise lead to a similar situation. That alone had incensed Kovac to the point of rage and it had taken all of her abilities to convince him not to go after the man right then.

She'd tried to reason that if he went off the handle and killed him now, he could receive a punishment that was as bad. And that, Vira had told him, would not have been good. Still, he'd been angry with her at her passive approach to it, but went along with it anyways. They could handle the problem at a later date, see where it might lead. She hoped that the punishment would put some humility in the bastard and would save others from his unwelcome acts.

And now, as Syna peeked through the clouds into the Enclave, Vira tried to turn her thoughts from that and onto what she was here for. The incident had certainly lit a fire under the woman as she moved between the shelves, all of this particular aisle filled with religious texts, but none of it was quite what she was searching for.

The fire which had been poked into life burned beneath her metaphorical feet for the incident had terrified Vira, all the more reminding the Endal why she used to avoid those sorts of places. A pretty face was easily taken advantage of, and though marred it did not deter the more determined folk of Wind Reach. The more frightening bit was that she had been desperate for the one who she knew could have protected her but had not been around when she needed him. It wasn't his fault and the teen certainly wasn't angry about it, but she needed to find something that might help her...Something that might identify her as being with him.

Something that would protect her from those who sought to do her harm.

Her eyes fell on a book, mid-level, small and tucked tight between two larger books. The pair on either side of it were of Sivah and Tavasi. But the book in the middle seemed just right for what she was looking for.

The title read: Chevas: The Mark of Love

The pulled the book out from between its neighbors and examined the cover. It had a rim covered in similar but infinitely different symbols, all small. In the center was an Infinite knot and a blooming rose in gilded gold, the thorns dull and yet suggestion great sharpness. There was a subtitle to the book, she noticed, that read, "When love is not enough." This was what she'd been looking for.

"Well, maybe not the title but it definitely fits my needs!" She laughed quietly, taking the book to a pillow beyond the shelves so that she could sit in comfort. "Kind of looks like what the Tavina and Tavinar have..." Her fingers ran across the rose and infinite signet, eyes dancing and a smile playing at her lips. "Chevas..."
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lavira on November 15th, 2013, 4:29 pm

She opened the cover and read the note at the beginning.

To the two loveliest women in my life, Kidem and Kisem; may we meet again in another life.

"Well that's poetic." She said again, turning to the next page, the index, and casually scanning the chapters. There weren't many of them, of course, but there were enough to provide a comforting read...

---------------------

Chapter One: Maiden in the Market

Love can not be bought. It cannot be tamed or captured. It does not see for it is blind and does not hear for it is deaf. Love is simple and yet complex. Love simply Is.

I met a young woman once, girl of eighteen or nineteen. She was stunning, her hair like fire in Syna's light. Her lips were cherry red and her eyes were a gold so brilliant not even the polish of the metal itself could compare. She worked at the Bay processing center during the warmer times of the year and then helped in the kitchens the rest. Her figure was slight though her hands calloused from work. Her words were honey in my ears and I knew, then, that I must have her.

She said her name was Kisem. Like Kiss and Him. And she often wore a stunning feather in her hair, the delicate strands in the plume an emerald so brilliant I thought she wore a stone. The silky smooth words told a story of a strange bird she once found; it was dying and the only thing she could think to do was end its suffering for none with the Mark of Rak'keli were near and the bird would not have survived the walk back to the city. But this girl, this beautiful maiden of porcelain skin and gentle speech had done it mercy and honored it by wearing one of its long tail feathers and burying it near the beach where she had found it. The little bird, she told me, had sung so sad and sweet in its last few moments and I wondered at the truth.

But how could such a Muse lie? She was too beautiful. I empathized with her story, instead, and told her my name. Malik. Her face seemed surprised that I was the Valintar's brother, but I told her it meant little. We were of the same blood, what difference did it make? Malin had taken to leadership and I? Well, I was more interested in the world. Perhaps that is why we fly the trades each season, visiting Lhavit, that enchanting diamond in the sky.

When I told her of what I did, she shied from me, and I feared this beautiful girl would escape and my curiosity would not be sated! I hastened to explain, "The adventure of the outside world gives new perspective where I might otherwise never know. Would you let me show you sometime? A pass from your work carving meat all day, my dear, to see another realm beyond the simplicities that we know."

"Simplicities?" She said in return. "Is Wind Reach not full of danger and excitement enough?"

"No, it is not." I replied, sweeping a strand of her searing hair behind her ear. "For there is more than our simple home, more than you could possibly imagine. I would love to show you once, that we may take a trip to Lhavit together and you can see the library. It is very beautiful."

She was hesitant at first and asked that I come again to Market next period and we might discuss it then. I agreed, glad to have had this delicate moment for how can I forget the chiet who walked by with hair like fire and eyes of purest gold. This pretty lass with a feather in her hair.

Kisem was the maiden in the market.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on November 15th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Maiden in the Sky

I could scarcely contain my excitement; I had dressed for a day in the market, but my heart beat with such a fury I thought it would burst from my chest! It thundered within and I could hear the cadence of its song in my ears as I moved through the circles of carts and peoples. My feet made softer music as it clicked upon the ground and I sought the maiden once again.

Her face would not leave my mind and I was sure that she would come with me, that we would have a grand adventure and tell of grand things on our flight to Lhavit. I would regale her with stories of massive wyrms writhing in the valleys between the mountains. She would swoon when told of the Takin herds that thundered across the steppes she could never see. We would fly like Tahoom when the winds are at their peak and she would gasp as if in the throes of passion as we plummeted from the skies upon the jewel of Kalea.

She would be mine and mine alone! But first, I must find her.

I came to Rhashal's cart, that old scoundrel with the wicked old raven. He never did like me and his birds must have thought I came each time to crush their eggs. But such cruelty was never in my mind. I only wanted directions!

"Rhashal, you old fiend, have you seen a girl about?" But he only looked at me with that cold leer and mocking smile.

"A girl? Another dally for your dilly, Malik? A bit young for the likes of you, old man." He scoffed, snickering cruelly.

"Snap that trap of yours, stallman; she is not for such behaviors. She is far too fine a lass to sour in such a way."

"Fine fine." She crowed. "What's her name?"

"Kisem. Her hair is like fire in the sunlight and her eyes are the purest gold."

"Sure sounds as if she's for a poke, boy."

"Have you seen her or not."

"Aye, aye, I've seen her. She went to the outer ring for Suva and her girls wares. Pretty girl for an billy like you; too pretty."

"Hush now or I'll take your tongue." I tossed him a pinion in gratitude and headed back to the outer ring for the Gilded Sash, expectant and light of feet. My heart had hastened its beating and now raced ahead, pulling me along, thoughts of bed far from my mind. Kisem was not for that sort of romance. She was an object to be loved and I was determined to show her! Alas, my body disagrees in the methods. I will contain myself, though, if only for her sake, that we may dance along this road we pave in a more mature way.

As I come to the ring, I see her. She is standing in the mists of an incense booth, the wisps of smoke caressing her cheek and curling against her crown. Her eyes are not on me but the scarf she is holding, her fingers caressing it in the same manner as the mist. I long to be the mist, to savor the feel of her flesh against my palm. She wears the feather again, it poking above her left ear and tickling the curve. She brushes at it in annoyance and I smile. She is enchanting, a siren in the night and I cannot help but go to her.

Kisem does not notice my approach, so enraptured by the scarf she cannot know her surroundings. It is dangerous for her to do so, but then Wind Reach is relatively safe. Who would wish to harm such a precious gem as her? I come behind her and my hand brushes the hair behind her ear once more. She turns to me and her mouth curls into an O of surprise. It is such a perfect shape, round within the plumpness of her lips.

"Endal Malik!" She declares, dropping the scarf. I reach and sweep it out of the air with a quick grab of her my hand, offering it back to her.

"Yes, pretty lady, it is me. I have come to hear your answer. Will you fly with me? Lhavit could be made more beautiful if such a beautiful dove was there."

She is slow to reply and my heart plummets. I am sure it will burst if she declines. How can she say now, though? My approach was kind and endearing, if not a wee bit flirtatious. I want her happiness and trust as much as her company but to be denied, I am sure that I would die!

But to my surprise, she grins and nods, saying, "I will accompany you. I heard there are beautiful gardens there and the library is one of the best known! When do you wish to go?"

"Our flight leaves in three days. It is a five day trip, in all. I have already spoken to your supervisor and you have been relieved until we return. Now come, a Rider cannot wear silks and chiffon. You must have proper cloth to ride Tamal. We will go to the Eagle's Claw. Leathers and padding and boots, perfect for a beauty like yourself."

I led her away, back to the inner circles where the Endal booths beckoned. She felt uncomfortable this far in, but I assured her, in my company all would be well. And well it was as the next bell passed, the two of us readying for the adventure we were about to partake.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on November 16th, 2013, 4:29 am

Vira continued reading, the pages turning slowly as she licked a finger and nudged them over. There was something captivating about the story and the more she read the more she saw the similarities in her own life. While the girl, Kisem, had not immediately suffered some great trauma, she had found a focus in her life in the form of a man. Granted, that man was an Endal and not an Avora, the girl was still a Chiet, like she had been.

It told of how their love blossomed like a rose in spring, and how where one was rooted to the earth, the other was like the sun, shining bright above and encouraging the other to open their petals to their light. It was a strange measure of symbolism that made the young woman smile as she tucked a hand beneath her chin and let the book rest in her lap.

The first person account continued to tell the tale of Kisem and Malik as their friendship bloomed well into the bounds of love. Malik's depiction of the first time they explored one anothers bodies made her eyebrows rise in surprise. It was very similar to how she and Kovac had first experienced one another....

-------------------------

Chapter Five: The Maidens Arms

It was spring again and her elevation out of the processing center into the ranks of Avora had proven a great boon for the both of us. She was regal in the garb of a hunter, the longbow on her back powerful and emphasizing the wild beauty I had so been captivated by all those seasons ago. My enchantment went well beyond the bounds of attraction and I would not deny my love for her.

Kisem is the light of my world and I long to share with her the joys of the body; but she is afraid and I fear to push her would be to push her away. She is too delicate for such neglect. I must have patience! Yet, a mans needs often outweigh their reason and I know if I were to wait too long, I would shy from her to another and she would be wounded greatly for such betrayal.

My lusts will be subdued until she is ready. I will honor her chastity and trust that she will know when it is the time.

But lo, the day is young and we have much to do. I can hear her in the brush, playing with that silly dog of hers. The short-growth out here hides much game and we are supposed to be hunting; yet she is distraction incarnate! I can see her there behind the bush, kneeling with the Spicecoat. Her honeyed voice loving and praising of the dog. I wish it would run so I may embrace her. Her hair has grown since first we met and now hangs over one shoulder in a plaited braid. She is my Goddess.

"Kisem," I call to her, stepping through the short bush to join her, tickling the dogs head as I pass. "Why don't we return to camp. He has done well tracking the deer this far. Perhaps we can clean up in the falls?"

She looks and her eyes melt my heart. "But we are hardly dirty!" She laughs, the music in her voice amazing.

"Perhaps not, but it is relaxing."

"It is freezing, Malik, we'll catch pneumonia." How can I fight her? She is always right. So I smile and sigh, giving in to her.

"Then what would you have us do? Return to the city? Tamal will not be back for some time." Or so I told her. My intentions are true to my bodies wants, I cannot lie. If I could perhaps just show her and guide her.

She laughed, the music of the sound bringing me such lightness. She stood and stepped to me, her arms wrapping around my neck and her lips seeking mine. I go to her, hands upon her hips and eyes closed. I feel the urgency abate. I will not rush her; I will not harm her. If it is to be time, it will be time.

"Malik, I know what you want." She finally said when the kiss had ended, her head against my chest. I can smell the lily that she rubs into her hair as my chin rests upon it. "But you know that I am-"

"I know. You need not feel pressured by my wants, my dear sweet Kisem. I love you too much to push you so far."

"And that is why I love you. And why..." Her hand has closed over mine, leading it from her hip and up her side to the bottom of her bryda. "...I wish my first to be with you." The hand had led me to her breast. It is soft, yet firm against my palm and I squeeze it with interest, a thumb caressing the point which firms beneath it.

"You are so beautiful, Kisem. Like a child of Syna herself." The hand that remains free rises and I push behind her hear that rebellious strand once more, smiling as it moved to cradle her head. "I will be gentle and I will be patient. Will you trust me?"

There was no hesitation now as her smile lit her face with life. "Have I ever not trusted you? Even when the Darkness came to Wind Reach and the cougars chased us through the valley, I have trusted you. And what's more, I have loved you. I do this now to make you happy because I love you and trust that you will not harm me in my inexperience, trust that you will guide me as we go upon such a course."

"My dear, your words are the warble of the nightingale at midnight and I am sworn to protect the birds. Will you be my dove now as Syna shines?"

"Yes, Malik; I will be your dove. Will you be my tiercel? Will you protect me and love me in the way deserved as I will do for you?"

"Yes, my beautiful Kisem. Forever and always."

I did not at first see the pretty little feather that appeared upon her neck, just beneath her left ear for I was caught by her lips once more, those crimson pillows that sought as much mine as mine did hers. It wasn't until Syna began to recline in the sky, casting shadows on the valley we were in that I saw the glint of gold upon her neck and ran my thumb upon it.

A curious mark it was, slightly raised as the pad of my thumb crossed it, but seemed to cause her no pain. She just sighed into me, smiling and kissing at my chest. She murmured that we should dress and return to camp before some predator comes upon us, and I agreed.

So, as we dressed, I pondered, and she must have pondered as well for her fingers soon found their way to the left of my neck, a similar spot as hers, caressing over something that brought a smile to my lips as well. I made a note to myself to investigate it when we returned to the city; for now, we dressed and called the pup back to us so that we may return to camp.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on November 16th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Chapter Six: Chevas for Two

When we returned to the city, we returned to our quarters to bathe. The trips hunt had been only mildly successful and the kills delivered had been tallied accordingly. Now it was that the two of us sought only to cleanse ourselves of the days work and enjoy one another again, at least for a time. Her spirit seems to have bloomed in light of our lovemaking and I wonder if it was my doing.

I turn such thoughts of that away and focus upon the strange mark we observed upon one another, curious of its origins. Neither of us had had such a thing when we kissed that afternoon, and yet when our coupling had concluded there it stood! I go into our bed chamber and strip from my own clothes, vaguely aware that Kisem has already undressed before me and waits in the bathing room. There is a polished bit of hammered steel which reflects, beckoning me over. I come and stand before it, studying the figure seen, particularly the new mark upon my neck. My fingers brush across it again but it does not fade. Perhaps we rolled in some ivy?

"Nonsense, what ivy rash turns ones skin to gold?" I told myself with a laugh. Hands suddenly wrap around my waist, fingers dancing up my abdomen and back down, drawing from me a hiss of breath and a tension that rises in my core. Her desire is captivating, like a pretty cat who's long been caged and at last free to browse the toms at her leisure.

I laugh at my analogy and turn, scooping her into my arms and cradling her close so that our eyes can see still the others love. "My dear, did you notice the odd little designs we seemed to have acquired?"

"I have, Malik, they are curious, no?"

"Indeed; I have seen a set like them before in my life but I cannot recall from where. I wonder what they could be."

"Well, perhaps when we have finished..." She had maneuvered in my arms to slide a hand down to my waist. Her hand was now entertaining the salute my body gave to her. "...we can go investigate?"

I drew a sharp breath and laughed, kissing her brow. "Is your need so strong, Kisem?"

"Only now that you've opened my eyes. Will you love me again?"

"Forever, my lovely little maiden."

Our passion takes over and the next three bells are spent in its throes. When at last we disentangle ourselves, she laughs that we must certainly bathe now or be forever stuck to the other! The jest makes me smile and I withdraw from her, caressing her breast before exiting to bathe. She pursues me, but not in lust. It is time we settled and time we searched for the answers to what this odd marking is. It is beautiful, whatever it is...

-----------------------------------

Vira pauses in her reading, turning back to the sketch of the mark and rubbing her finger across it. "It certainly is pretty. I wonder if it's a chevas?" She murmured, her finger holding her place on the other page. "If so, how did it just appear like that?"
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on November 16th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Deciding to mark her place, for now, and do a little more digging, the teen left her book on the cushion so that it would not accidentally be taken while she went to look on the shelves again. Yet, just like before, nothing was immediately jumping out at her. All the books were on religion in some way, but none actually talked about what she wanted.

"Okay, I was told the gods name was Cheva...maybe if I look under-"

A voice made her jump and the Endal spun. "Do you need some help finding anything?" It was a young man, blue eyed and brown hair with streaks of red running through it. He had a friendly enough face so said his smile that urged one to trust him. She felt compelled to.

"Oh, yes, actually. See, I was looking for things about Cheva."

"Oh the love goddess!" The young man said, motioning her to follow him up. "See, we separate our literature sometimes by classification instead of alphabetical. So you're in religion right now, but you need the section about Servitude."

"Servitude?" She replied, confused. "I thought the gods were free to do as they pleased."

"To a degree. See, Cheva is classified as a Servant God because she 'serves' the people of Mizahar by uniting individuals under a few key principles: vows, passion, marriage, and love. She's the one that sees to all the married couples in the world."

"That's interesting. So she shows up at a couples wedding?"

"Not exactly." He explained, pulling a rather large book from the shelf that seemed to include several different aspects of this class of gods. "This has quite a bit of information on her and some of the other Servant Class gods like Rak'keli, Qalaya, and Aquiras."

"Wasn't Aquiras responsible for the watch towers?"

The young man nodded, opening the book for her and pointing to the index. There was a rather large section about Aquiras and Priskil, both of which qualified under the definition the librarian posed. She knew of Priskil. She had been a god of significant influence in Vira's younger days, before the Djed Storm. It was to she that Wind Reach often prayed, and probably the only goddess that Vira had any sense of acceptance for.

"Hm, I think this will work. Thanks for your help." She finally said, smiling at the man and moving away, the book opened and being readily browsed as she went. The notes on Aquiras were somewhat short, she discovered, only mentioning briefly what had happened during the Valterrian. It wasn't enough, however, for her to make much use out of. He was the god of travelling and doors; he made the watch towers, and loved Priskil...that was about it. There was a note that he had been attacked and has not been seen or heard from since the Valterrian. Vira skipped on to Cheva, the one she was much more interested in at this time.

Perhaps the notes in here would shed some light on the symbols that had appeared on Malik and Kisem's necks.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on November 17th, 2013, 5:40 am

Once back at her seat, Vira rested the book in her lap and flipped to the chapter on Cheva, silently wondering how the Enclave had come by such a novel. She never remembered much on religion being around before, but times had changed. Just last year, a Svefra ship had shown up. Maybe it had been obtained from them?

The chapter talked about Cheva's domain in the Ukala's (though Vira did not know what the Ukala's were, only guessing by the note that it was something beyond Mizahar) as well as in Mizahar. She is the goddess of love, passion, vows, and more importantly marriage. Her presence is well documented in the form of what are known as 'chevas marks', a symbol of promise a couple makes to one another that unites them. Chevas does not often appear personally to a marriage, but when she does she often brings Rhaus and drags Sivah with her. If such gods attend one, the importance is significant. Something is known about the bonding couple that goes beyond the realms of a simple marriage.

Cheva's domain encompasses all the boundaries of love, from the family connections to the far more intimate and passionate bonds of lovers. It is, for that reason, that her gnosis involves Connections. Not to be confused with Viratas and Silakrov, Cheva's gnosis simply reveals the familial connections between individuals. It is an intimate and yet immense perspective that they see.

"Wow...what an amazing being. For all that we are, how is it that she is not more embraced among the Inarta?" Vira murmured as she went back to the notes on Cheva and her domain regarding passion. It had said that it was not to be confused with Nikali's lust, though they were extremely similar. Nikali encompassed servitude and slavery as well as pleasure and addiction. And passion, while it could brush the realms of servitude and pleasure, tended to favor the LOVE of something more. It seemed to underline all of what Inarta were.

"But why don't we give her more praise? Our openness in terms of relationship does not seem like one that is exactly frowned upon by her, considering the Drykas..." Her eyes flicked to the notes on chevas next, pondering in silence. It was supposed to be a mark that represented the vows between two or more individuals, vows that each shared, promises that each kept. If many were in the group, they must all accept and follow the core of the vows that were made. "I bet that's why...for all our passion, we are easily distracted. Our openness does not always mean acceptance. It is contradictory."

She paused, smiling a little.

But I'm not like that...Maybe I'll mention it to Kovac, see what he says...

She trailed into silence and flipped through the rest of the book, making a mental note to come back to Priskil. Something in that chapter had caught her attention and she wanted to investigate it more. It was something called the Order of Radiance. She marked that page as well and gathered up both books, intending on finishing the one about Malik and Kisem later while she studied up on the bit about Priskil more away from the Enclave.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Skerry on December 15th, 2013, 10:22 am

Grades

Lavira

Skill XP
Research 5XP
Observation 2XP
Socialization 1XP

LORES :
  • Love story: Malik and Kisem
  • Chevas mark: Pretty
  • Cheva: Servant God
  • Note: What are the Ukalas?
  • Chevas mark: Represents vows between individuals
  • Note: Look into the Order of Radiance

Notes:
A very interesting little thread. I really enjoyed the little book chapters, they were very interesting and maybe something will come out of this research...

Remember if you have any questions or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook