[Flashback] Welcome to the Family (Ykala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Amondaris on August 14th, 2010, 3:56 pm

40th Day of Winter, 503 AV

The dark wood of the practice blade was a dark blur as it hurtled through the air, only to ricochet off the wooden longsword that appeared out of nowhere to block the blow with a sharp clack. Grunting, Amondaris lashed his foot towards his opponent's ankle, simultaneously pistoning his left arm forward to stab at the larger man's abdomen. Wincing as his foot met the unyielding, mercilessly hard steel of a shield, his toe exploded in a burst of agony, the pain heralded by a dull crack as the bone snapped. The lethal blow he had directed towards his assailant's stomach was contemptuously batted aside, the dark sword launching a blistering counterattack, the blade seeming to flicker, such was the speed with which it moved. Desperately, the boy raised his right blade in a vain attempt to fend off the vicious riposte, to no avail. Solid wood met soft flesh in a flash of lurid colours, the dull edge striking him solidly on the cheekbone, the sheer force of the blow spinning the younger warrior about in a sharp pivot. Staggering forward in a daze, his feet scraping along the frozen snow, he attempted to right himself, only for a boot to be planted solidly on the small of his back. With a cry of pain, the boy stumbled to his knees, blood weeping from the already swollen wound upon his cheek. Lazily, his opponent strolled forward to lay the wooden edge of his blade against the boy's neck, the gesture casual. The voice that spoke was deep, that of a man, and possessed a rich, warm tone that simply dripped with sarcasm as it drawled, "Y'know, pup, for a while there I thought I had you, but that last flurry was just too much! No man could stand before such an onslaught as that!"

Snorting, the broad-chested, shaggy-haired man threaded the wooden practice blade through the loop on his belt and extended a gauntleted hand towards the lad. Muttering sullenly under his breath, the lad accepted the proffered assistance and was hauled unceremoniously to his feet. The same hand tightened it's grip upon his, squeezing the delicate bones painfully, causing the boy to wince. Half-heartedly, the boy returned the grip, making a poor effort at returning the agony that was slowly being inflicted upon his significantly smaller hand. Lowering his great, shaggy head down to peer into the boy's dark blue eyes, the giant casually collided his hand against the side of the boy's head, nearly knocking the poor lad from his feet. "What's the matter, Amondaris? You're fighting like a girl who's just been told she won't get to go to the dance this year. I've sparred wet dishcloths with more fight in them!", the man growled, his beady,gold-tinged eyes glittering with mirth.

Once again, the boy staggered before righting himself, making a laudable effort at focusing on one of the ursine men who stood before him. Squinting, he gave his still-ringing head a shake before focusing on the man, a thunderous scowl knitting his brows together. "Mother and that petcher Khanu are leaving for a few weeks. Do you know what that means? Do you, Rhanor?" he spat, his words loaded with venom. Rhanor's lips twitched up in the faintest hint of a smile and he merely arched his brow, the gesture asking a silent question. "A girl!", Amondaris spat, agitation written in every inch of his body. Pacing back and forth, utterly ignoring both the wound on his cheek and the broken tow, the bow continued in the same venomous tone, "A strange girl, living in my house! Sharing the same house, sleeping in the same house, everything! It's a disaster!" He threw up his arms in a dramatic gesture of despair, before allowing his arms to drop, where they hung loosely by his side as he lowered his gaze to forlornly look at the injured foot.
Grinning, Rhanor clapped his enormous hand down upon Amondaris' shoulder with enough force to buckle the boy's knees, his great chest heaving as his laughter boomed out, the sound oddly warm and wholesome. "Imagine that! The little wolf, reduced to a cowering pup at the mere thought of a strange female being near! Ha!", the huge man said, much to the chagrin of Amondaris, who's response to this needling amounted to a glowering scowl, followed by a series of dark mutterings about bear men and how he'd wear his skin as a cloak if he wasn't careful.

Blirthely ignoring the muttered promises of mutilation and things best left unrepeated, Rhanor picked the boy up by the scruff of the neck and, stifling a yawn, casually tossed him in the direction of the city gates. Strolling past the sprawled form of his student, he called back,"C'mon, lady's man, let's call it a day and go meet this piece of tail, shall we? And stop falling over. It's bad form when you're trying to woo the fairer sex. Trust me, I know." Humming a pleasant tune to himself, the giant set off towards the Everwinter city, the boy scrambling to his feet, running to catch up with Rhanor.

They passed through the frozen gates without incident, carrying on down the streets at a relaxed pace. Rhanor saw fit to use this time to instruct Amondaris on one of the "finer arts in life", as he put it; How to entice and keep a woman. The generously supplied teachings were met with much reddening of cheeks and furiously muttered promises of future retaliations, all of which were, of course, summarily ignored. Eventually, the verbal torment faded to a stop, as Amondaris' house came into view. Trudging up the short path, the wanderers halted before the door and, each glancing at the other askance, abruptly broke into a game of rock, scissors, paper. Curled fist met calloused palm three times, the dull slap of flesh the only sound made by either competitor, each fiercely concentrating on the other's hands. "Ha! I win. Your turn, furball.", Amondaris crowed, somehow managing to seem exultant, even while keeping his voice to a strained whisper. For his part, Rhanor's face fell, his sorrowful expression comical in it's sincerity. Heaving an almighty sigh, he gave a glum nod, and turned to the door with the bearing of a man doomed to face the gallows. Straightening himself, he took a deep breath, raised his mountainous hands, and rapped it against the door solidly, three times. Furtively, he glanced to his right, muttering about traitorous whelps with no honour. Said traitorous whelp had wisely decided to hide around the corner of the house, bracing himself for the inevitable.

Faintly, as if it came from a great distance, shrieking could be heard coming from within the house. Steadily rising in volume to reach a full-fledged cacophony of screams and shrieks, the large, solid man visible braced himself, squeezing his eyes shut as the door burst open, to reveal the source of nightmares; Three adorable, pretty little girls of varying age, each younger than the last. Solemnly, they focuses their gazes upon their victim, Rhanor's bushy beard quivering beneath the weight of such a scrutiny. The oldest, Khala, wearing a neatly cut dress and bearing a single ribbon in her hair, folded her arms slowly over her chest, her tone cool, imperious as she demanded, "Where is he and what did you do to him this time, oaf?" Wincing, the big man lifted his hand to rub the back of his neck slowly, lowering his gaze to his boots as he mumbled an unintelligible, almost inaudible reply. A neatly plucked eyebrow was arched, the three remaining silent as they waited for a proper answer. Squirming, the man gingerly lifted his hand and pointed around the corner, keeping his gaze fixed upon his boots. Lifting a delicate hand to pat the man on the arm, Khala swept past him, Yurae and Icilae following in her wake. As they rounded the corner, an indignant roar of, "Traitor!" was followed by a loud yelp and a dull thump as someone hit the ground. Everything was ominously quiet for a long, fidgety moment, Rhanor slowly edging his way into the doorway. Glimpsing the three frog-marching their elder half brother in front of them, said brother the very picture of misery, Rhanor wisely decided to duck behind the opposite corner of the house, his voice pleading as he called out, "I'm innocent! He attacked me, it was self defence! The boy's a monster, you can see in his eyes!" Rolling their eyes, the girls shoved Amondaris in front of the doorway, shifting their gaze to the door as it was pulled open. Amondaris, oblivious to the presence behind him, glumly stared at his snow-covered boots, his eyes a dark, sombre blue.
Last edited by Amondaris on April 2nd, 2011, 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vengeance , Honour, Strength.

Useless, to deny the flood,
The Rage, the Beast we keep chained within.
With slavering jaws and wicked teeth.
The will that binds, so very thin,
To drown us all in blood,
And choke us all beneath.

-Amondaris.
Amondaris
Sword of the North

Words: 130093
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 12:09 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ykala on August 14th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Ykala and Amondaris had been friends long before either of them met. It was family relations really, mother knew mother, thus that meant both families were friends, in some bizarre way. Ykala, who was more or less a babysitter and small time tutor today, or for several days really, lightly knocked on the door, it was mere minutes after Amondaris and Rhanor got home. As usual, the girl, only barely the age of a full grown woman, had a natural tan that only got darker with the more sun she was exposed to. However, many people knew, and it was arisen occasionally in the gossip around Avanthal, or at least this part of Avanthal, that Ykala was almost at that age. She was nineteen, her birthday only coming last season, and she had no suitable suitors. It wasn't so much of Ykala's fault as it was her mother's. Vanthan culture told that gifts were to be given to the family in exchange for the daughter's hand in marriage, yet Ykala's mother could not seem to be satisfied by any suitor's offering. Ykala, almost at the age where marriage was out of the question, had slowly become worried over time. The rumors didn't help much. The suitors, which were fairly common before, were becoming more and more rare. Logic, it told her that she was to be alone, single, unwanted forever. A scary thought.

However, Ykala cast such thoughts from her head today. Armed with books, writing utensils, and parchment, Ykala was ready to take on her task for today. These children needed to learn to read, write, and of course play. Sure, they could probably do most of that already, especially the third, but you could never be too good at writing or reading. It made great opportunities for occupation, especially for those women that seemed would have to support themselves forever... "Oh..." It was hopeless, the thoughts would always resurface, the fears would always return, at least it was only minor for now. She waited patiently at the door until she was answered, though from the sounds of anarchy and destruction only several paces inside, she was in for a handful. Children, she liked children. Writing, reading, teaching, all of it was fun and fulfilling, she would make the absolute best of the next few days. That she vowed herself.

OOCIt's a little short for now, but my next post will be considerably better once interaction with the kiddoes begins.
Ykala
Unwanted

Words: 14491
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2010, 2:32 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Amondaris on August 14th, 2010, 11:09 pm

Inside the house, our intrepid hunters stood shamefaced, shoulders slumped dejectedly as Khala reprimanded, making full use of her already razor sharp tongue. The words "Louts," "oafs," "overgrown toddlers," and various other choice endearments were used generously, the two males murmuring meek apologies time and time again in a feeble attempt to placate the terrible wrath of the three young women before them.

Miraculously, the verbal lashing was cut short by a light knock at the door- Surely a sign of Divine providence! The two thoroughly scolded sparring partners exchanged triumphant looks, relief etched plainly all over their faces. Pivoting on the spot, Amondaris almost ran to get the door, the dark, venomous stares of his three darling little sisters going unnoticed as they attempted to burn a hole into his back.

Jerking open the door with perhaps a little too much enthusiasm, the grateful expression on his face dropped as he laid eyes upon Ykala. Souring visibly, his eyes turning a dark, stormy grey, the boy managed to force out a greeting, stepping aside to allow her entry."Hello. You're the one that's supposed to be looking after the three girls, right?". He even managed to make the welcome sound passingly welcoming, to his credit, though his expression did little to aid in the attempt.

OOCSorry about the brevity of the post, couldn't really think of much else to fill in opening a door, heh.
Last edited by Amondaris on April 2nd, 2011, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Amondaris.
Amondaris
Sword of the North

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ykala on August 17th, 2010, 2:51 am

What was this sound? Silence? It was odd what a little rapping on a wooden door could do to a house in utter chaos. The Silence was brief however as the door was opened by a boy, eleven? Twelve years old? Whatever he was, he didn't particularly appear to be much. Ykala grinned lightly as he greeted her. "I was told that I was watching over four children actually. But it looks more like it's three girls and a strong young man" Ykala giggled lightly as she taunted Amondaris, stepping by him as she lightly patted him on the head. Judging but the grim greeting, Ykala couldn't help but assume he would be one of the bigger problems. Girls were easy to take care of, boys were confusing.

Once inside, Ykala turned to face Amondaris, her books and parchment tucked in a need little tower within her hands, hovering in front of her chest. "I'm Ykala. Would you mind showing me around the place and introducing me to everyone? I feel more comfortable being led by such a capable warrior. I feel very protected in your presence." Ykala teased Amondaris with a quick wink as she flirted humorously with the kid. "And the books are getting a little heavy. Where might I set them down?"

OOCSorry it took so long and it's short. I've had a headache that has been coming and going these past few days, making it difficult to focus.
Ykala
Unwanted

Words: 14491
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2010, 2:32 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Amondaris on August 17th, 2010, 3:58 pm

A heavy blush coloured the young boy's usually pale cheeks, a rosy tinge of embarassed pink creeping into the dour grey of his eyes as he turned towards the others, blatantly ignoring the taunts. He gestured absently at a table to the right of the room and marched to stand before Rhanor and the three girls. Standing straight, with his hands clasped behind his back and legs set wide, for all the world like a miniature drill sergeant, he barked out a few, sharp commands. "Stand to attention! We have a guest in the house, and that means the rules are going to be enforced." Pacing before the bizarre image of three little girls and a huge bear of a man standing to attention, the boy continued. "This means no biting, no scratching, no pulling of hair, no climbing on the furniture, no gouging of eyes and no trying to kill the baby sitter." Turning sharply upon his heel, the boy strode back to where he had stood, ignoring the fainlty disappointed looks of the three angelic girls. "Rhanor and I will be gone, training as per usual. If I return and find the house in a mess, the babysitter harassed or dead, there will be trouble." Pausing, he turned, regarding the ragtag line of his assembled troop gravely. "Is that understood?"

Dainty hands and hairy hand alike snapped to their respective foreheads, the comedic element to this little show offset by the steely grey in the eyes of the pureblood Vantha before him. This, bizarrely, appeared to be a serious matter. In perfect unison, the youthful pitch of the girl's voices contrasting sharply with Rhanor's bassy rumbled, they sounded off, "Sir, yes sir, understood sir!" Nodding in slight satisfaction, the young commander gestured at them with a curt wave of his hand. "Roll call, oldest first, present yourself to the guest, and be polite."

Strolling forward to stand before Ykala, Rhanor bowed, the grace with which he executed the gesture belying his bulk. "Rhanor, little lady, pleased to make your acquaintance." With a sly wink, he rolled his eyes in Amondaris' position, where the boy was watching him like a hawk, and he whispered, "Don't mind our little general over there. The girls might run roughshod over him and me when they feel like it, but when he puts his foot down, boy do they jump." Nodding, he turned on his heel and returned to the ranks, his features schooled into an expressionless mask.

In turns, Khala, Yurae and Icilae all introduced themselves to their new carer, each as polite as the last. Perfect little angels, of course, weren't they just little darlings?

Returning to the line, the family troupe faced the newcomer, regarding her with grave, unwavering stares. Waiting, no doubt, for some gesture on her behalf.
Last edited by Amondaris on April 2nd, 2011, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Amondaris.
Amondaris
Sword of the North

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cheshire on March 26th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Character: Amondaris
Experience: Weapon (Sword) +1
Lore: Following the Rules

Additional Note: Sorry there was not a lot of lore or XP for this. Hopefully the next time someone babysits you there will be more action. PM me with any concerns.
Avanthal Lore | Vantha | Avanthal | Morwen
~-----------------------------------------------~
When I was just a kitten,
They said I'd be a gem.
But now that I'm a Cheshire Cat,
It's odd how odd I am...
Cheshire
Twenty Seconds of Insane Courage

Words: 336788
Joined roleplay: August 4th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Power Fork (2)