Reimancy Intervention

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Miro on November 20th, 2013, 2:13 am

75th day of Fall, 513 AV

Miro was quite worried for Alric and his lack of offensive magic. Hypnotism could be used to keep attention away from him, or even to cause mental harm, but the Djed it cost to truly disable an opponent outweighed even Reimancy. However it seemed with the price came a very impressive effect, as Alric was one of the few people who could defeat the master Reimancer in a fight. However a fight with such powerful magic could never be so simple as only going one way. At least it wasn't when both combatants were capable fighters.

However it would always serve a wizard to have a way to defend themselves in a fight. For the undead this meant use of the Flux for defense and Reimancy for offense. However both disciplines could work equally well for the opposite purpose. Though Alric would have to learn his own balance with his disciplines. Though there could not be a balance until his skill in Reimancy had weight. But without his initial training, a novice would likely struggle to grasp how to properly cast spells.

So Miro sat patiently in his room while Lessomm was out and waited for Alric. He was not going to force it on the Hypnotist, but he would definitely imply it was forced. The steps to learning the basics of Reimancy were simple, as basics should be. First one must learn to create Res, then to transmute it, and once the element was known techniques could be invented. But before that one must learn to attract elements and use them in casting. A novice should work to learn two spells, one that uses only Res, and one that gains aid from the environment.

Though depending on which element one possessed, such a spell may not be possible. It was definitely the rarer used of the two, but having such a tool often meant the difference between life and death. Using uncast elements saved precious Djed and could add an intensity that the wizard alone could not produce. In many cases the Reimancer already had a technique set that he could teach, however some elements such as air and water were difficult. The undead had struggled as a novice to manage any offensive use for water, but didn't created a reliable offensive spell until his second element.

Miro was not sure where Alric was off to or when he would be home, but it mattered little. He would come back eventually, and they had work to do. The preparation for Gru'tral meant that they would need to have every possible advantage. Though it was not for him to decide if they were to commence training. If there were any better suggestions to be made by Alric, the Chained One would hear them. However until that time he could only sit in his chair and wait in front of the door. He had Ender for company, but naught to talk about. Waiting quietly suited him fine for now.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Alric Wilmot on November 20th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Alric was composing himself as he turned down another dark alley, practically begging someone to mug him. He wore his battle armor today, with his rapier at his side. He was wanting to both improve himself, and test just how eager Ravok's citizen's were to practice violence. So far, it seemed Ravok was far more predictable than Alvadas. For one, no one mugged you unless you looked like you could be mugged. He had found that people steered away from him, most likely due to his appearance. Though he was short, an armored man with a sword was someone you avoided. After all, why bother chancing a skewering when a dainty little woman with naught but rags was right around the corner? And so Alric found many poor weaponless men and women being raped, looted, and murdered. But no one wanted to do anything of the sort to him. Once or twice he thought to save them, but it would only serve to put himself in danger, and what they doing was perfectly legal anyway.

He was not a cruel man, by any means, but he simply would not risk all of his plans to help a complete stranger. Besides, the dead would be reincarnated, and the living would get over it. He had gotten over trauma, surely they could. After all, what was a sore nether region to having your father's belly ripped open? He hurried past his latest discovery, a small mob beating a Symenestra woman, and got past the next alley back onto the street. He looked up to the sun and realized that Miro would probably be up by now. He had been so eager to teach him reimancy, Alric supposed he should oblige him.

Alric gave a deep grunt of frustration. It was not that he did not want to learn reimancy, but it seemed so redundant. Miro and he were working together now, what did it matter if Alric could throw a small breeze around when Miro could summon lightning? Likewise what did it matter if Miro could not produce a trance when Alric could produce hallucinations? He just did not understand why they should learn each other's disciplines when they were working together. Still, he was not a cruel man, and if teaching Alric to throw around a breeze made Miro happy who was he to deny him?

Deciding that he had had his fun, Alric caught a ride from a ravosalaman to hurry back to Miro's house. He was not so far as he imagined he was, however, and it only took a minute or two to return. Rather than pay the ravosalaman, he wiped the man's memory and hurried away, toward Miro's home, and his current residence. He almost knocked, before deciding that that was silly. He lived here, why knock? He opened the door and slipped in quietly, just in case Miro was still... still what? Miro was undead, he did not sleep. Alric turned around just as he remembered his friend's new state of being.

Miro sat there in the common area, seemingly awaiting Alric. Alric did not show his surprise, though he had not expected his friend to be here waiting for him in such a manner. Despite the fact that this was his house, Miro was rarely here. He treated it more as a receptacle for all of his things since he had no need of sleep. Alric raised a hand in greeting.

"Good Morning Miro. I was out for a bit of a walk. I... do not suppose that you have done the same? It was a bit of a hobby back when I lived in Alvadas."

Miro stayed silent. Alric groaned and got to the meat of the matter.

"Yes, I suppose this is the day you are to teach me reimancy then?"
"I'm Speaking"
"I'm speaking and using hypnosis"
I'm implanting thoughts using hypnosis
I have implanted an Obsession
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Words: 375060
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2011, 12:05 am
Blog: View Blog (7)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Miro on November 21st, 2013, 7:13 am

When finally the door opened, tensions were high within the undead. As the hinges gave a long creaking, the wizard's face stretched into a toothy grin. For a moment though he contained himself. It would not serve him well to ambush Alric and cause him to back down. Though it was nice to be greeted, and an explanation of the man's whereabouts was nice, although unnecessary. The wizard needn't know such things, though would admit to himself that he often did the same. Even back in the city of illusions it was a very common hobby. Only Alvadas was exciting in a less dangerous way.

However when the Hypnotist already knew the Reimancer's intentions, all reservations were abandoned. Miro stood from his chair so quickly that it tipped backwards and crashed. "You have assumed correctly my friend!" He began to produce Res from his hand in the form of a liquid and allow it to hover around him. He gave his half-shrug he was so fond of with his grin receded to a mere smirk. "Show me your Res" However he transitioned his arm to aim a stern pointed finger. "And hopefully this time you have more to show than the last. To be without an element to display is shameful!" He so wished that his apprentice would react well to discipline. A spoiled kid like him was likely used to dealing with such things though, and had probably grown tired of being told what to do.

Miro readied his Res before him and prepared to explain the lesson. "As a novice Reimancer, one must first learn to produce Res. Then one must learn to control it. Once one is able to control their Res, they may transmute it into an element. However that does not define the capabilities of the discipline. A Reimancer may also use his Res to attract both natural and Reimantic elements. Using this technique he is able to give a boost to his spells in the right environment, or even some form of protection." He created a flat surface with his Res and transmuted a portion to fire and attracted it to move along the edge of the surface. The flame was fueled by a transmutation of air that guided the substance around on a circular track.

"Learning to attract an element is far easier to learn than transmutation, but much harder to master. It is often quite wild and unpredictable. However with the proper element to assist, controlling an element is simple. Such as fire. Air may fuel it, guide it, cause it to grow. Its path is easy to create when attracted to Res that can be transmuted to air. However when met with water, it dwindles, and its path can be blocked." The flame was met with a wave of water that ran across the Res and consumed it in a sizzle. "Though such control only comes with training. And the sooner one begins training, the sooner they gain control over their Res and the elements."

Though most of this he assumed Alric already knew. That would not stop him from drilling it into his head however. Fundamentals were meant to be memorized and reflected on often. They would soon get to the progress to be made. "Of course you have witnessed that with mastery of more than a single base element allows the creation of customized elements through their combination. My journey started with water, which only allowed me to learn fundamentals. Then with understanding of how to transmute air I soon learned ice. Many years later I learned fire, which allowed the creation of steam when combined with water and lightning with air. And finally earth, which allowed mud, dust and lava."

Miro did not know how many of his para-elements the apprentice knew of, but hoped that there were at least a few new ones to get him excited. He had mostly covered by now what Reimancy was capable of, but not the individual scaling of a wizard. As the master had never heard of a wizard learning multiple base elements at once, or even without progressing in their aptitude, he would explain progression as he understood it. In general this was defined by the number of base elements a caster could wield. However the other factors based on skill were the amount of Res one could produce, how fast they could produce it, the distance they could control the substance, and the speed and control over it they possessed.

"Generally with the ability to produce one element, a wizard can only produce a slight amount of Res at a slow rate, and the control needed to properly cast a spell must be worked form. They can only control their Res a few feet from their body, which makes it difficult to cast, however a proper spell can go much further. By the time they've learned a second element, it is likely they'll be comfortable producing and manipulating Res, being able to make much more. It will move much more quickly, and have to, as by then the zone of control should be several meters. Though trying to measure the skill of a wizard able to wield three or more elements is much more difficult."

Miro thought hard, as it was not so long ago that he was ranked under this level of skill. With his third element he was able to do much more, and rarely if ever did he meet his limit. What exactly one's limits were depended on a lot of things, and it was often the hardest thing to measure. However what could be accomplished was clear. "Someone with the capability to wield three elements should be considered an expert in the discipline, and definitely considered dangerous. Their control over and capability to produce Res is enough that they are rarely strained to deal with a single target. Single spells, although taxing, are capable of effecting an expansive area such as Avain Manor's courtyard. And of course, if ever you want to measure the capabilities of a true master, you needn't look any further than me."

Finally they could move to practical part of the lesson. "You are already familiar with how one is initiated, if you recall your own. Res breathed in, forced through slits on the palms. And of course you remember the pain it causes, as I still remember my own Reimancy birth. And I was but a young child then." The Reimancer moved his Res to hover before Alric and drift around him. He hoped that it would not distract him too much, but question his motive. The motive was but to get the apprentice to question things and think. "What a novice truly must do is create a use for the discipline. This is best achieved through a technique. This is our goal today. We will develop and train useful techniques so that the discipline has meaning."

Though before they would begin, a lot of information had been passed down. He would give his apprentice time to listen, understand, and ask questions. They would stop at the mention of techniques without a spoiler of what technique to learn however. Miro knew a great many in the time it took him to master, and could easily pass one down to his student. However it would mean thrice as much to the Reimancer to have developed one himself. Even if the technique was unoriginal and in fact the one to be passed forth, the simple act of creation caused a technique to hold some significance. Though he would be surprised if his fledgling Reimancer could produce anything of worth. The master hadn't even started his lesson on creating techniques yet.

It seemed that Miro hadn't just one student present however. Although Ender had been with his master for some time, he had not heard Reimancy explained in such depth yet. Most of this was already well known to the Irylid, but only through assumption and observation. Having everything spoken with such organization made things much more simple. As a whole Reimancer made a bit more sense as a journey to mastering the elements for the Familiar. "Well Miro, that is quite the lesson you have prepared. However you have seemed to skip over any mention of overgiving. I will admit, the way you presented it, I may have had a few ideas cross my mind that hadn't before. Perhaps even I would attribute this to your teaching, or it could be that my attention has been drawn to the discipline."

The Chained One was quite eager to hear from his Familiar on the subject. It seemed that he was capable of causing one to think independently and inspire some growth in Reimancy with just his words. Though he suspected that Ender had some further interest he had yet to mention. "Overgiving is indeed important, though strain and consequence are best understood when experienced. To put them in a student's mind before he has had a chance to naturally experience them is of detriment. It will only put the thought in their head and cause them to seek it out before it happens. It holds a much greater effect to explain their suffering as they experience it." Though Miro knew that Ender only asked to hear the lesson. At least he would be relieved to hear he would not have to experience overgiving.

And as expected Ender was not completely satisfied. He did understand why his master withheld the lesson on overgiving, but was curious nonetheless. "Yes I quite understand. You seem enthusiastic about teaching, and you have done well so far. Alric however, I am not sure he is as enthused as you are. This lesson on techniques, I am unsure if it will have much validity so early. Even if you pass your knowledge of creating a technique to him, it is highly unlikely he will be able to create one on the spot. Would it not make more sense to start with training?" Everything said was true, but as usual there was purpose in his pacing. "Training would be more practical, and I don't expect much. But I have given him an end goal for our session, and he can begin creating something immediately. Training will get him to the point where he is ready."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Alric Wilmot on November 21st, 2013, 7:35 pm

Ig Alric had expected a response, he had not expected such an overly excited one. Miro jumped up so quickly, that Alric gave a little jump himself. He was not quite so accustomed to others freely displaying such great bursts of emotion. Miro hurriedly asked Alric to show him his res. Alric briefly remembered im doing this some time before, back when they were planning out more important things. He had accidentally transmuted his res then, or at least he thought he did. But Miro had not seen it, and Alric had not really tried to recreate the experience.

Miro seemed quite convinced that Alric's ineptitude was a cause for shame, which Alric supposed stemmed from Miro's near obsession with all things magical. He did not know if his friend worshiped any particular god, but he could see that not making use of what you were given was a sin in Miro's eyes. Alric groaned at that, as he used to be much the same. He bit his tongue however and decided to just go along with it. This would both benifit him and placate Miro.

As Alric thought these things, Miro demonstrated a rather advanced-seeming maneuver with his res. He produced liquid res and had it hover above him, all the while continuing to lecture. Alric found that he had best keep up with his friend's frantic pace if only to keep him satisfied. He shifted a bit, to better settle his armored robes and uplifted his hands. He narrowed his eyes and concentrated on his palms, where the slits had been made and had never healed. A headache began to form at the base of his neck and he grunted, gel-like res a peculiar shade of blue-green. He only had about a handful, but he thought that was rather good for his level.

He looked to Miro, who had never stopped speaking, and could hardly believe his eyes. Though he knew Miro was a master at his trade, he was still in awe of Miro's control. A flat circular plane of res with a rotating flame was conjured, and with it a lecture on Res and its ability to both become and direct elements. Miro extinguished the flame with water, and Alric came to an obvious conclusion that he had not before considered. The elements you have access to show your level. One for the novice, obviously. And only when you could handle all four were you a master. As he came to this conclusion, Miro spoke on the limits of control, the speed of conjuring and other related elements that Alric would have to learn. Alric put on a smile, trying to enjoy himself.He supposed it would be more fun when he was better at it.

As Miro continued talking, Alric decided to play with his res a bit, see if he could make it into a disk, like Miro had. He furrowed his brow and thought on the state he wanted, a liquid, and attempted to will the res to rise of its own accord. With some effort, the res did rise about six inches from his palms, and formed into a small disk the size of his two palms. Alric barked a laugh at his own small accomplishment, which was more control than he had ever before been able to manage. He put his palms down, trying to keep the disk in the air in front of him with naught but will. He still was trying to pay attention to Miro's lesson, however.

Miro went one about para-elements, the combination of two or more bases to create things that other than fire, air, water, and earth. Alric was curious at the oddities of some of them. Was not ice water that wanted nothing to do with fire and so cast away his heat? But Miro had hinted that it was in truth a joining of air and water. Alric tried not to make sense of it, magic was simply in its own realm. Who was he to question its rules? Miro went on about the limit of only controlling res a few feet from yourself when a beginner, and Alric decided to test it. His headache grew a bit worse, but Alric ignored it as he moved the disk forward slowly. As he did so, he took note of when the res began to fall. He had about three feet from the center of his chest to control his res. He made the small disk revolve around him then, to test the boundaries a bit more carefully. He estimated that it was about the same all the way around, giving him a radius of three feet with which to manipulate the res. Not too terrible, really. He had seen Miro throw it farther, so he imagined it would not be such a terrible handicap.

When Miro finally turned his attention back to Alric, Alric snapped his head up, trying to give the illusion that he had been paying close attention the whole time without dividing it. He accidentally let his res fall, though. His concentration was still very important to controlling the res, it seemed. Though he let out a sigh out of frustration, it was understandable. He was woefully lacking in reimantic skill. Perhaps Miro was right in a certain regard. After all, all by himself, Miro had become a competent hypnotist on top of mastering his own discipline. Alric supposed he should do the same.

Alric realized that Miro was waiting for something as he stared at Alric in silence. Alric cleared his throat to speak.

"M-hmm, yes, well... I have no questions. You were quite thorough. I believe you said it best when stating that the sooner we start the better. However I would like to bring your attention to one thing before we continue."

Alric furrowed his eyes again, calling out to the res that had dropped. It floated slowly upward, to a about Alric's chest level. The effort was draining on Alric, as embarrassing as it was, and sweat formed on his brow. Alric reached out with his hands, using it more as a mnemonic device than anything, and twisted. As he did, the res dissipated, a small innocuous breeze flowing past.

"It seems my first element is air."
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Miro on November 22nd, 2013, 3:05 am

Miro had noticed that Alric had split his attention between Res manipulation and listening to the lesson. Most of what he said was basic, and the lesson would be learned, the master would see to it. So it hardly mattered if some of the more minor details were missed. It was just as well to get his apprentices to finally begin working with his element. It seemed he was still at the point of his body and soul being at dissonances with the magic. A wizard of Alric's level would definitely be able to cast more Res, however the strain it put on his body caused him to reach his maximum emission level quite rapidly.

The fledgling Reimancer would only be able to work with a slight amount of Res with minimal control, but likely be able to cast his maximum amount upwards of five times without his body issuing the most minor signs of overgiving. And if the wizard truly enjoyed wielding the magic by this point, and he pushed his limits, perhaps he would hear the legendary sweet whispers of the discipline. The euphoria was the first sensation, followed by the ever so sweet whispers. The trembling in your body from the excitement and racing heartbeat. Though at that point it was likely the telltale signs would signal to the master to stop his apprentice.

Though Miro was allowing himself to be caught in idealistic fantasies. How he would love to show his student what to watch for by giving him first hand experience. Though as expected there was little advancement on the front of creating a technique. However there was a step taken in the right direction, for the apprentice's primary element had been revealed. Air, one of the hardest elements to use offensively, especially as a sole element. There was but one way the wizard could think of to cause harm with it. And it was limited to those who required drawing air into their lungs to survive. Or perhaps if one were to, well, what the Chained One would call "Rayageing" somebody.

Though he was not completely pleased to hear of the elemental affinity, he was satisfied to know it had been discovered. He held but a slight scowl as he spoke. He held his hand out and turned it to a fist with his thumb down turned. "Bad luck friend, it isn't what I had hoped to hear. That is an element almost as hard to use defensively as it is offensively. As a primary element, you drew poorly. You're not even a follower of Zulrav. However it is far from useless, just difficult. It can be used to command and even snuff out fires, or to cause personal harm under a very specific condition. If you care to learn, might I demonstrate?"

Miro summoned up the remains of his Res and split it in half. One half was transmuted to an orb of fire, merely its outer layer transmuted, allowing him to maintain control over it. The other half was transmuted to a gaseous form to surround the burning orb, and he would begin to demonstrate the ability to guide flames. To the right of it he began to attract the flame, and indeed the outer layers flowed towards and danced about the air in slight. It was at this time that he condensed and transmuted a stream of air guided outwards, sending a tendril of fire to swirl outwards in a serpentine line.

"As you can see, with the ability to attract fire, one can then fuel it with Reimantic air, which allows a guided stream of the dangerous element. This can be used to turn a spell against a fire based Reimancer. Very useful against Rayage, as it is his primary. And as for the second use, well, it is much more complicated, and VERY dangerous." The basis of this was based on an observation and understanding of the element he had come to find through his mastery. It was something never demonstrated, even on such a minor scale. Done indoors it would definitely add an increased level of danger and fear, but this would serve well to show the capability.

For the first time since Sahova the Reimancer activated his strongest emission technique, Aqua Aura. He began to leak the light blue gaseous Res from every pore in his body and flow about him, causing him to quickly be surrounded in a visible aura. The technique continued outwards until the substance was loosely spread through the room in a vague mist, at its greatest concentration near the caster. He held his arm out towards the liquid Res orb and began to condense the gaseous Res around it and flow in a circular motion. "Get behind me, but make sure you have a clear view. I will show you how one can use air to turn the fireball technique into the explosion technique. As useful for defending against the attack as it is to enhancing it."

When it was time to begin the spell, Miro began to attract the air from the room and pull it towards the flame, which burned brighter for a moment. He clenched his hand into a fist and refined his pull and increased the movement of the swirling Res to starve the flame and begin to create a vacuum. Just as the spell began to suffer and die out, he forced his hand open and released the final transmutation. The swirling current of Res attracted the fire from the center while the fireballs core was transmuted to a burst of air guided toward the pair of wizards in the center of the room. The result was a fiery shockwave guided along with the transmutation of the air.

However the Reimancer would not allow himself or his friends to be harmed by the spell. His Res aura was called to condense around them, and to form a barrier in front of them. A swirling blue plate seemed to materialize from the latent substance in the air and much of its mass was transmuted to water, and attracted the burst of flame. And as an added precaution, Alric was soaked in a large amount of water, leaving him drenched from head to toe. As well a a mist was created in the air to prevent his room from catching fire, and to dampen and snuff out the spell as each element met. Coordinating so many transmutations at once was mentally exhausting, and even induced a slight amount of physical strain.

An orange and red burst shot towards them, but broke apart upon meeting the defenses the wizard had applied, though the force of the fire expanding outwards caused the undead to stagger back a step. And though the room was safe from harm, the environment therein was not. It was muggy, and the air was scarce. A closed door was only perpetuated such an effect, so the wizard made his way over to open it. The remaining Res left in the room was used to attract the latent humidity from the room and guide it out into the hall, and a fresh cool gust of air rushed in to replace the burned oxygen. And finally the Res made its way to Alric, and it attracted and stripped him of his Reimanctic water cloak.

The apprentice was left dry standing in a puddle, hopefully quite impressed. The master however was left with a slight headache from straining his mind, and the lack of a pulse to race or eyes to become bloodshot made him desire another casting. It had truly been too long since he had pushed himself even in the slightest in terms of Reimancy. It was especially straining without the employment of his staff which he had become so accustomed to. However it made for a fine lesson. "One must remember, even the most skilled Reimancers, when casting a powerful spell, or too many in chain, they too become fatigued." He looked down at his hand to notice a slight trembling and smiled. It was not his apprentice noticing any of the effects, but he would take it.

"When strain turns to overgiving, there are some signs to signify when the body and soul are being taxed to a level of significance. Strain on one's Djed causes what one would expect, sweet whispers, altered mental state, focus only on your own thoughts, and other things that cause one to become reckless with the magic. But the most prominent and hardest to ignore is the euphoria. It is the first effect to set in, and for me happens regardless of strain or not, but becomes more pronounced the longer one casts. However the strain on one's body along with more severe pull on Djed take a different form."

The master displayed his hand, though the quivering had mostly quelled with his regained composure. "Trembling, a taste of blood in the mouth, bloodshot eyes, hastened heartbeat, shaking, and worst of all a loss of spell control. Truly dangerous levels of overgiving result in spontaneous bleeding or wounding, convulsions, pain and discomfort, and even full on hallucinations and loss from reality. One must always remember the further into overgiving they slip, the higher the chance of their Res causing friendly fire and harm to one's self." And though the lesson was greatly maturing, there was still much more to teach on techniques.

"In general a wizard should attempt to learn both an environmental and transmutation based spell for each element. And while I would have preferred to be able to teach you one involving the attraction of air to aid, it was more practical to teach you how to modify fire. For an ability solely based on air, I have but one technique. One must always remember that while control over Res is the main path of delivery for a spell, it only gains strength upon transmutation. Though it is quickly lost with the distance spanned until lost completely. A wizard maintains control of the element for a few seconds after transmutation, and this is the most important time."

Miro gathered his Res before him again and condensed it. It was an orb not much larger than his head when condensed to liquid, however plenty enough for what he would demonstrate next. "Much like many things, follow through is important. The key to casting a spell is simple in explanation, complex in application. Aim, guide, transmute, and follow through. Begin by mapping the spells course, send it along by your will, and as you transmute, always harden your will to command the element on its path until all control is severed. It is at the time of transmutation that the spell is at its most powerful, but as I stated once the control is lost, it is quickly lost."

Though there was more to it than that. In the example of the fireball technique, the core was left as Res to give control and aim, however there was a very specific time one must transmute. The key was in knowing the zone of control one could exhibit on his Res. "Res can only be controlled within a certain radius of one's own body. For me, well, I am seemingly without limit. However for any other Reimancer, they must learn well their limits, as the best time to transmute a spell is just before control is lost." And with the lesson on casting a spell done, he could apply it to the technique to be taught.

Miro moved his Res to land on Alric's chest and slowly creep up his neck and onto his face as he spoke. "The technique I wish to show you is one inspired by the most brutal Reimancy initiation ever performed. The professor Rayage, was the one to receive the punishment, and I had used it as a means to inspire him to achieve a great growth. I had flown my Res into his stomach and expanded it until the organ exploded inside of him and release the substance within his body. All of this without transmutation. This brought me to think of an application that you might find useful, though at your level it will require focus and close proximity."

The wizard forced his Res as a gas to begin to flow into Alric's nostrils and mouth and down his throat to gather in his lungs. It would feel as if a foreign substance was choking and violating him, but would settle once the substance reached its destination. From there it would be difficult to fill his lungs, however still possible, though still he may feel as if he had taken in water and wish to cough. However if he were to try, he would find that suddenly his ability to release drawn air was restricted. He could draw it in, but the attraction of the Res hindered his ability to release it.

For a few moments the master would watch his apprentice gasp for air, and his lungs to expand without contraction. The lesson he would speak would likely be lost in the panic of suffocation, but nonetheless, it pleased Miro to do so. "By attracting air to remain within one's lungs, they can not breathe, as you are witnessing now. However this is not deadly, as long as the Res is removed before they die. But still can leave them unconscious. Though it can easily be made deadly, if one were to fill the lungs thickly enough and transmute their Res to air. Of course, the follow through should be to guide it outwards and explode the lungs. However I do not wish to harm you."

The attraction to air was released, and the substance would be expelled with his next breath out. Or cough, as the man had been struggling to breathe, as mortals do. "I would like you to try on me, for I haven't need for air, and my lungs are..." He drew silent with a short hesitant pause. "Well, my lungs are expendable, and not of consequence." He followed the statement with a shrug. "But first you will need to learn to attract air, which is best done with a stronger than natural current. That is something I can provide. Just tell me to and I shall direct a stream of wind at you to try and manipulate with your own Res."

And Miro waited eagerly for this. When prompted he would hold his hand forth and produce a streamed gust in whatever way requested. And when the apprentice was ready to take the next step, he would begin to breathe the substance in rapidly and as many times are requested until the technique had been honed. "Remember, the key to attracting an element is to feel the bond your Res shares with it. Think of how it feels to flow your gaseous Res, to transmute it to air. Feel the unity between the Res and the environment, and force your control over them both. You can do it Alric, I believe in you."

Again Ender waited until there was a break in the excitement. The ability to create an explosion, choke victims, control fire, lessons on overgiving and strain. It was like a dream come true for the Irylid. Not only was he able to produce and control air to a finer degree, but to combine it with fire produced from his master and split the mental strain of casting the technique. Or to use water to drown an opponent by flooding their lungs. And definitely to cause their insides to explode, just as his master had done to Rayage. Admittedly now it was cruel, seemingly uncalled for, but at the time the wicked Familiar loved the display. It was a show of raw power and dominance.

Even more impressive was how it actually served to benefit the Nuit, as a burst stomach did not cause any harm more than pain. And that pain turned into a burning desire for revenge, power, and most of all control. For Rayage so wished to never feel so helpless again that he was inspired to gain control over the elements to combat such offenses against him. "And as amazing and full as your lesson seems, why do I get the feeling you are not done with your lessons yet? You have covered every aspect I could think of, and then even went beyond. Shy of practical training, I do not see what more a novice such as him could learn. Apart from, say, another technique or so."

Miro even let out a slight laugh at the comment. Though it would seem out of place to Alric. He was happy to have his progress report on his lesson in the form of his Familiar's commentary. And having a supportive partner never grew tired. Especially when one could contrast it against Ender before his behavioral correction. "I haven't all that much more to teach a novice, you are correct. Any techniques that he will learn however, they won't come from me, not yet. I did my best with the ones I have already shown, and until he possesses another element is on his own. However instruction and intense training are always available to those who are willing to learn. Though in the case of a gust thrower, I suppose the best he can do is wind channeling until exhaustion. Once this is honed, our work here is done"

Though Ender sensed something more, as this was not all his master had in mind. "I doubt that. And I doubt you are using this solely as a way to aid your apprentice. Though I am sure you are loving the attention and progress he has made. Sharing the lessons taught to you so long ago must really take you back to your youth. So tell me, what do you hope to pull from this in return?" This time the Reimancer did not laugh, but instead grew a guilty grin that revealed the truth. He did in fact have something in mind. "After we are done, it is only fair that he instructs me on Hypnotism. Our original deal was an exchange after all. While I may enjoy teaching, it does not make it any less valuable. I do believe Alric could teach me a few useful things to advance my skills in return for my services."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Alric Wilmot on November 22nd, 2013, 11:45 pm

Alric was a little dismayed at having learned that his first element was one of the most difficult to actually use, though he thought that fit. Alric wasn't much of a fighter, and always avoided confrontation whenever possible. Which, thanks to his skills was actually rather easy. Still, the fact that his element seemed much the same was a bit upsetting, if only because he had hoped that reimancy might be his answer to those few times he could not run away. Though, he mused, he still had his mark of illusionism. He could always just use that if things got terribly bad. Though it was rather limited in application.

Miro spoke on what he could do, which seemed to mostly consist of fueling fires and some mysterious other technique. Alric thought that Miro would want some cryptic allusions to be made, to better make himself look the wizard. It was a harmless bit of ego stroking that Alric suspected all wizards enjoyed. He knew he had indulged in the mystery afforded to him by his talents. But Miro did not leave his talents a mystery it seemed, he wanted to show and tell near everything.

Miro conjured a ball of fire, and then played with it in ways that Alric found quite mesmerizing. He had not been all that excited to learn reimancy before, but he supposed it might be fun. After all, his own specialty was not nearly as flashy or showy. Miro broke Alric train of thought by then mentioning that this basic technique of redirecting fire was good against Rayage, which as Alric remembered was the Nuit Alchemist.

"Miro, I do not wish to fight an ally, that would serve no purpose."

Miro of course was speaking in hypotheticals, always preparing to kill everyone in case of betrayal. Or maybe for some other reason that Alric did not know. Whatever the case, Miro seemed to want a way to defeat everyone, for whatever reason. Which made Alric ponder at what the undead thought of him. Was Alric even a blip on Miro's little threat radar? And if he was, should he be flattered or aghast? At the end, Alric just shrugged his shoulders and decided not to worry about it. Worrying about the future was bothersome enough already without wondering if he could defeat his friend in a fight. Especially considering the highly likely outcome of failure.

Alric was brought back to Miro's lesson with a strange mist expelling itself from Miro. It was quite curious, and Alric did not know what it was at first. Then he realized that it was res! Alric stepped back a bit, amazed at the sheer volume Miro could expel, without, it seemed, straining himself. All Alric could conjure at this point in time was a measly handful. Alric realized then that the gap between beginner and professional was greater than he could have imagined. Perhaps Miro's egotism was not so empty as he first thought.

"Get behind me, but make sure you have a clear view. I will show you how one can use air to turn the fireball technique into the explosion technique. As useful for defending against the attack as it is to enhancing it."

Alric did not need to be told twice, and hurriedly fled to behind Miro. Did he really just say explosion? Alric felt queasy, and nervous. He did not want Miro to blow up his house for this demonstration. Especially when this was all supposedly for his benefit.

"Miro, I don't think-" but he was cut off.

The explosion took place almost immediately, and Alric fell to the ground, covering his head with his arms as if that would save him. But, he was surprised to learn, they did not die, and the house was fine. He was drenched with water, not long after, in fact it was practically concurrent. Alric was about to yell at Miro for drenching him and his fine clothes, but had his complaints lodged in his throat when he realized what had happened. Miro had actually contained the explosion. And when Alric saw just how he had done it, he was legitimately impressed. Yes, if anyone could call themselves a Master of reimancy, it was Miro.

The water was lifted from him then, by Miro's hand. Alric decided not to complain to Miro about how delicate these clothes were, he obviously had other things to worry about. Alric could see his hand trembling, and he quickly realized that the display had indeed strained Miro. He was worried then, on just how much it might have strained him.

"One must remember, even the most skilled Reimancers, when casting a powerful spell, or too many in chain, they too become fatigued."

Alric nodded with Miro's statement. Even he had done some rather foolish displays of power. Miro then talked on about overgiving, and its various effects, all of which Alric already knew. He almost felt insulted that Miro would even bother trying to teach him about it. But he kept his silence. It was not doing any harm, and he supposed Miro just had it on his mind from the very exhausting display. He wondered then if Miro was doing this more to show off than teach. After all, Alric was incredibly green when it came to reimancy, and he doubted he would ever reach Miro's proficiency. What he had just done did not really seem to be of all that great a use in instruction. Alric let that thought settle before going back to Miro, who had moved on to reimantic techniques, and how even a novice should have one of each.

He then went on to more useful information, like how distance of control comes into play, and the strength it gains from transmutation. He went on to touch on things Alric was already vaguely familiar with at some level. How to lead a spell, or throw it, or guide it. He was far more through than what Alric had expected, and he did learn some new things. He also spoke on the radius of control, something Alric had figured out rather quickly. Alric felt rather proud of himself for that. He barely knew anything, but at least he knew one thing that would help.

However, as Miro's words on knowing one's limits came to an end, he abruptly changed the subject to something else. He flung res at Alric's chest, and before Alric could ask why, the res crept up his neck and face. Alric panicked a bit and began trying to get it off with his bare hands, but it would not yield.

"The technique I wish to show you is one inspired by the most brutal Reimancy initiation ever performed. The professor Rayage, was the one to receive the punishment, and I had used it as a means to inspire him to achieve a great growth. I had flown my Res into his stomach and expanded it until the organ exploded inside of him and release the substance within his body. All of this without transmutation. This brought me to think of an application that you might find useful, though at your level it will require focus and close proximity."

"But what does that have to-" suddenly, he knew. The res forced its way into Alric's nostrils, and his mouth, as he attempted to scream in protest. Alric then thought the worst, believing his friend had finally given completely to his psychopathic tendencies. Alric began to truly grow frantic, and moved with great ferocity. He banged against the walls, trying to breath, but nothing could get through. He could feel a strange substance crawling down his nostrils and throat. Suddenly it moved into his lungs, and Alric felt as if the wind had been knocked out of him. He could breath in, but not breath out, and his breathing was shallow and did nothing to relieve his burning lungs. He looked to Miro in a fury and on instinct alone forced his djed into the wizard's mind.

LET ME GO!

Suddenly, he was released, and he coughed and spurted like a man near drowning. Hatred filled him for what Miro had done for a simple lesson. For all the talk of equals, it seemed Miro could not help but try to dominate all those around him. Well, then, Alric would just have to ensure a proper demonstration of his own. A horrific hallucination then, to give Miro not only a taste of his own medicine, but let him know that a hypnotist could be as frightening as any reimancer. He would like that, as eager as he was to learn Hypnosis.

Alric bit his tongue so as not to smirk when he lifted his head, and decided to just power through the rest of the lesson. He had barely paid attention to Miro's words, but it seemed that he actually wanted Alric to do the same thing to him. Of course it was woefully mismatched. Alric was but a babe in the magic, and Miro did not need to breath. Alric narrowed his eyes and wondered if they were truly friends at all. He decided that for what Miro was, an undead abomination, they were as close to friends as you could be.

Miro offered to give a stream of reimantic air to ease the process, Alric just nodded and told Miro to let it loose where he willed. Alric was not in the mood for caution or tact.

Alric gave a grunt of frustration, having lost the excitement and curiosity from before. He brought up his palms and concentrated, cupping them together. The familiar sea-green ooze began to extrude from his palms, and while it took a few second, it filled both hands up. Alric grunted, but no more would come. And even this small amount made him rather light headed. He walked over to Miro, getting him within three feet of himself, and floated the res up to Miro's nose. He concentrated and transformed the ooze into a gas, and then pushed forward with his palm. The gas did go inside, though not all of it, and not terribly forcefully either. Try as Alric might, he could not be as forceful as Miro had been. But Alric gave it no mind, and grunted louder, trying to force it in. He closed his outstretched hand and willed the res to gather the air there. At first, Alric thought that nothing had happened, but Miro's chest had stopped contracting.

Alric's eyes widened when he realized that he was doing it, he was actually doing it on his first try! But then, Alric saw that Miro was readily breathing in the gaseous res that Alric had produced. Alric let out a sigh that held in much of his anger and let it go. This was not something to be mad about. Greater things were coming in the grand scheme of things, this was nothing. He turned the res in Miro's lungs into air with a twist of the palm, and instantly regretted it when a pounding began beating on his temples. It seemed Miro was wrong about it taking more than one try, but Alric's body did not seem capable of keeping up.

He let his hands fall to his sides and walked past Miro, and slumped on the wall. He was exhausted. Both from the strain of producing three handfuls of res in one day after neglecting the discipline for over a year, and from the extensive speeches and monologues he was expected to remember. This, he thought, was why he like to learn alone. He could go his own pace without being completely overwhelmed by a teacher more focused on himself than his student. He heard Miro give a chuckle, though for what he did not know. Perhaps he was speaking to Ender, he had a suspicion that familiary was a more powerful bond than he had been led to believe. He hardly cared though. They could chuckle and plan all they wanted. Alric had his own plots, and they were moving along very nicely.

"Well, Miro, I do believe you have utterly and completely tuckered me out. You are a rather aggressive teacher, and I'm afraid I am a frail man.I would like to rest just a bit, get my strength back before we move on. I'll teach you a few things on hypnotism whenever you like, so long as its not today, I'm rather tired and need my rest after all this. Mortal, and all that."

Alric staggered off the floor and used the wall to support himself as he stretched and headed to the chair.

" Let us get on with it after five minutes."
Last edited by Alric Wilmot on November 23rd, 2013, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Miro on November 23rd, 2013, 5:34 am

Miro was not so sure Alric was as appreciative of the lesson as he should be. The explosion attack was a technique of masters, one that he hadn't even witnessed on Sahova. Anyone could produce a large flame, but the what made this one unique was the force along with it. Of course the more surrounding Res to be transmuted to air to feed the starving fire, the greater the force it would produce. And as shown, even with a proper defense against flame, it could still produce a staggering effect like a strong gust of wind.

All of the information was nigh impossible to come by. In Sahova, Roknus perhaps knew of this, but was not the teaching type. You only learned by witnessing the murder of fellow apprentices. Or at least what passed for apprentices. They were disposable human targets there. Sahova cared nothing for personal wizards, and even less for those who were wholly untalented in their discipline. Though there was tension in the air, he could also sense sparks of excitement.

However when it came time to learn the technique, Alric did not quite appreciate the understanding of what he would be doing to people. That was one of the greatest joys to the Reimancer. To know what his spells were doing to destroy his targets, the more brutal, the more shock and awe. He really felt pity watching his friend, and he honestly did not want to see him suffer. He made sure to let go before it would be of any detriment to his health.

It would do the apprentice good to understand through experience. To know his life was on the edge, how it left him helpless, and to realize that he could achieve such an ability. And then to follow it by learning how far he had to go. Alric produced his Res and the master allowed him to practice forcing it into a body. However he still lacked the finesse and stamina to fill his targets lungs completely. The wizard breathed in the remains of the substance into his lungs and waited a moment for Alric to ready himself again.

Miro began to breathe normally, or at least he expected to, but found it surprisingly impossible. He attempted to force it, but only a wheeze escaped. But he would need to test the limit and would not stop pushing. He drew Djed from the pathways in his internal organs and redirected their strength to his lungs. Alric seemed to give up just as he was sure he would force the substance from his lungs, and he blew the gaseous Res out to be lost in the air. With the amount of focus he exhibited, he was able to complete the effect. He only lacked the stamina to maintain such an application.

Being able to manage that, the Reimancer was surprised that he did not fall to a knee. "Alric, are you not familiar with incantations and gestures? I know that in Hypnotism they take another form. But for Reimancy, it would serve you well to focus your mind around a word, an action, something to break the tension and concentrate your effort. When a wizard associates the word or action with a specific technique, your mind is better able to recall the process of casting it. When I filled the room with gaseous Res from my entire body, I started by mentally acknowledging its name, Aqua Aura."

Ender grew excited at the mention of the techniques name. He thought for himself how it might be possible to gesture, but could think of nothing. He realized that also incantations were only possible in his natural form, as he could not speak while sealed. However he recalled what his master had said once. It was a tool to assist a wizard when in need. The Irylid could always use a silent incantation like his master. He noticed how worn Alric had become from the demonstration and began to worry.

"Is Alric alright? He hasn't pushed himself in Reimancy before, or any discipline other than Hypnotism. I think you should end things for today, let him rest. You nearly wore me out with all of your lengthy explanations, and I have been eager to hear them for over a year. You have taught him a lot, and I do not expect he will forget it. But it seems he did not have your childhood, and he will not forget how cruel your lesson was to him. As you say, a novice has it the hardest, and it should get easier. However he is sure to mistake it for cruelty, as there are times he seems to question your humanity."

The apprentice did look worn out, and likely had to withhold groaning while being told of gestures and incantations. He quickly followed by admitting how tired he was. And his words did not hold any form of tact of appreciation within them. However the Hypnotist knew the cost nonetheless, as he should, and would teach him the following day. It did seem that perhaps there was a tinge of jealousy, or even a stab of racism in that Miro was undead. It was not brutal because he was undead, it was because it was Reimancy. But it was definitely best the novice get his rest.

"Lay down my friend, you should rest. Your skill is impressive, as it seems your instinct has matured while you rested in your year of slumber. You have cast more than any previous day, so please, get some sleep. I have but one last lesson for you. The best way to learn is to push until you pass your limit, and then keep it in mind as you use the discipline. Once you experience overgiving in Reimancy, you remember, and you think about it whenever you cast. Know what each spell means and how much of yourself you are trading for its effect. Train with strict discipline and master control. The power will come naturally."

What Ender said was true, though it was not Miro's place to tell the truth of his motives to Alric. He had been raised and trained by a much crueler teacher, one that when they were done training loved him more than anything. It taught the young wizard balance, to know when to be serious, and how to relax and enjoy life. This as well was the nature of relationships between wizards. Magic is serious, and there are times when business must be taken care of. However when things are tended to they may return to a casual interaction.

Both of the wizards still had a great deal of business to attend to before they could relax however. Now was not the time to take it easy on Alric and deny him the hardening to a Reimancer he needed. The difference between them was what made them great at their own mastered discipline, however crossing to the others specialization took this away. There was only one way Miro knew how to train a Reimancer, and it was the way one learns out in the wilds. The way one learns fighting as a gladiator in the Colosseum. There was only one thing you needed to teach. Kill or be killed.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Reimancy Intervention

Postby Alric Wilmot on November 23rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

Alric opened his eyes at Miro's instruction of gestures and incantation. He actually did not know that, and if he were full of his normal energy, he might even work up the decency to blush. But he was drained, and did not care quite so much if Miro actually taught him something. It was useful, and now that Alric thought on it, he was already subconsciously using gestures it seemed. He had found using his hands made the process much easier. As for incantations, he truly had never heard of such a thing. It was not something you generally used in Hypnotism. So the one magical text he had read, other than his recent stint in animation, had never touched on it.

"Actually, Miro, I really did not know that. So thank you. I will see to it that I put those to use. It may be that I will cease to suffer headaches while I preform Reimancy."

Alric continued to slump in the chair, his eyes closed. He did his best to simply recover as much he could. His reimancy was shoddy, he knew, but what was to be expected? He had neglected casting a single reimantic spell for two years. Honestly, it would have been surprising if he had found it in any way easy or simple. In the end, Alric supposed his bitterness might have a small part due to jealousy. No doubt a good amount was the rough teaching style, but jealousy most likely came into play after that. Alric let out a grunt as he stretched his arms. His time of rest was almost up, and he wanted to be limber for whatever Miro had in store.

Miro complimented him, then. Though it sounded hollow to Alric, who was still coming to grips being someone's complete inferior. He did not like it, but that was how it was. But he decided to take the compliments graciously, and thanked Miro for them nonetheless. He did not always remember his manners, but if he could help it, he tried to be cordial. After all, his father would not want one to ever associate the Wilmot with lax manners.

Finally, the time had passed, and Alric would get no more rest. He stood up and walked towards the center of the room, so as to avoid furniture. Miro had one last lesson, which was apparently to see how far Alric could go, stretch his stamina to breaking. Alric was not looking forward to it but bit his tongue. He was not going to complain. He had not forgotten that he was doing this to please Miro as much as learn Reimancy. Miro wanted to teach, so Alric would learn. That was their agreement, and Alric would honor it. And of course, give him a few lessons on hypnotism as well. Alric briefly wondered if all Wizards were so shocking and subversive when they taught each other. After a moment of thought, he decided that, yes, they most certainly were.

Miro then began to speak on the next and last exercise for the day. Alric was to form gaseous res and attract air, non-reimantic air, and control it in a stream around his body. He was to both use gestures, and think of an incantation and keep it up for as long as he thought he could. It sounded simple, which was how Alric knew it was not. Continuous attraction was something that Alric thought most likely put a great deal of strain on someone. Though of course all he had was suspicion. He had little actual knowledge in this regard.

Still, Alric obliged, if only to appease Miro. Though he found that deep down, he wanted to become at least proficient with the magic. He closed his eyes and stuck out his hands, and willed the res to come as it had before. It seemed to him that it came slower this time around, but he still kept at it as best he could. As usual it came out as a gel, something he wondered if he would ever be able to change. He quickly flourished his arms, and moved them in wide arcs, his res looking as if it was steaming. He found it easier, as he moved his hands, though he could still feel sweat forming on his brow. As the sea green res floated in the air, Alric thought of what to say to make this familiar to him in the future.

He wanted the res to attract the air and swirl around him. He was not accustomed to naming things, but he was accustomed to giving orders. Maybe his incantations should be slightly different from Miro's? He thought then, of what he might command. He swallowed before speaking, deciding to speak softly but firmly.

"Gather about and dance."

It was rather silly, he knew, but that was what popped into his head. As he said this, over and over, he began to will air to follow the gaseous res, which he formed into a long ribbon. He concentrated harder, and moved his hands as if he was swimming, pushing the imaginary water behind him. The res followed, and began to circle about him, all at about three feet from the center of his chest.

He continued moving his arms in a circular motion, feeling as if he was moving the air more with his arms than his mind. His breathing was not quite as labored as it was before, and he found this easier than he thought it would be. The air swirled around him in a long ribbon, and Alric found it only a mild strain. Or at least, at first. As the chimes went on, he found his breaths became quicker, and his arms became tired. He felt feverish after ten chimes, but kept going until he felt as if he could no longer continue without serious consequences. All in all he lasted a total of twenty chimes, and even then he felt sick.

He fell to his knees and wiped a bit of drool of off the corner of his mouth.

"I'm- I'm going to get some sleep. I'll be back... sometime"

Alric did not wait for a response and headed to his bedroom and plopped down on the straw bed. He briefly thought on the fact that this seemed to be a regular occurrence. He really needed to stop working to exhaustion. But that thought passed quickly, and Alric let his burdened mind cease to think, and merely wander. Sleep took him not long after.
"I'm Speaking"
Alric Wilmot
The Last Wilmot

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets