[The Sanctuary] Manipulations Of Love

Kavala continues her morphing studies.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on November 21st, 2013, 8:00 pm

Timestamping: Mid Fall, 513 AV
Continued from: Morphing Isn't What You Think

It was another couple of days before Kavala got back to her Morphing study. That was perhaps a good thing because she was prone to taking magic too far at times in the pursuit of ‘what ifs’ and in the capacity to answer questions. There had been forty eight bells worth of time that had passed in semi states of crisis throughout The Sanctuary. Even though it was late fall, there were lots of lambs being born that should have been born in the spring but weren't due to the animals still being slightly off track due to the big djed storm abd it's power. Some of these births were troublesome and needed the Healers of Sanctuary’s attention. Kavala herself, though heavy with child, had made five different house calls.

She’d taken the pony cart having been finally forbidden riding by Vanator until her son was born. She was just too close to term. But the resulting successes and one loss had been worth the effort. For if she hadn’t been able to heal and in one sad case ease the passing of an old farmer’s friend, then there was no point to calling herself a Healer. Kavala might have had a lot of irons in the fire, but the Rak’keli's marks on her leg meant a great deal to her, whether she cared to admit it or not. Kavala defined herself a great many ways: Konti, Drykas, Healer, Mother, Lover, Sister, Mage and Friend. But each one was critically important to her. Each one had worth.

Because of all the hats she wore, it took Kavala some time to get back to the ‘mage’ aspect of her personality… but once she had, Kavala was ready to take up the mantle and start practicing again. And too that end she’d gathered a box of horns to study. Well, to call it a box of horns wasn’t quite accurate. There were antlers in there as well. Any time anyone hunted on the sea of grass, they tended to save things from the kill. The meat was all consumed while the brains and entrails often went to tanning the hide which was also used. Nails, hooves, and horns went to make glue and roof coating, things that were in need of waterproofing. So they always had ‘parts’ around stored safely and dried out to specifications. So all Kavala had to do to really collect a box of things was to go down into the storage rooms off the lab and start rummaging through the shelves. No one ever threw anything out.

Kavala couldn’t remember where she last left off, so the Konti had to get out the book she was writing and review where she left off where she’d stopped last time. She knew she wanted to fuss more with the foot and not just the claws, but she’d found it pretty intimidating last time. The Konti figured she’d try something that might be a bit easier for the beginner: horns and antlers.

Still, she caught up on her writing:

I have to admit I was quite discouraged by my lack of success altering my foot. I had a great deal of success making my hands into wings so I am quite puzzled and frustrated why simple feet would be so much harder. Half the battle in Morphing is telling your mind how easy it is to do something. Your mind believes you, and then it does it without much of a fuss. When other things happen that discourage you, it puts chinks in you mental armor and I suspect you start feeling like you can’t do something and so then you seriously can’t.

So the task is going to have to be to find a way to make feet easier to morph. As I waddle through this day pregnant with my second son, I’m going to be thinking on this problem and decide how best to tackle it.

Kavala was thinking about it. Her feet had 26 bones apiece which included 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons for a total of 52 bones holding her up and walking her around. And that didn’t include her leg bones. There were another 27 bones in her hand… 14 phalanges; proximal, medial (all except the thumb), and distal in the fingers. That count included 5 metacarpals, I, II, III, IV, & V in the hand. There were 8 carpals: scaphoid, lunate, triquetrum, pisiform, hamate, capitate, trapezoid, and trapezium in the wrist. One-fourth of all of her bones are in her hands. And half of all her bones 206 body bones were in her hands and feet between the four limbs. But she was more familiar with her hands because she used them daily and was ‘conscious’ of them like she actually wasn’t of her feet. And that’s why they were easier to Morph.

The healer had no consciousness about her feet. She’d never paid attention to them. So Kavala spent the day walking around barefoot, being very conscious of how the bones moved, worked, and how weight was supported. It was an enlightening moment for her, because Kavala always prided herself in her martial arts work of dwelling within the whole of her body and just not within her brain. But she realized, in doing this work, that she’d never considered her feet as part of her body for some bizarre reason. She’d just simply never given them a thought.

Kavala paid attention to how she walked, how she shifted, and what her body had to do to hold her up. The exercise was a meditation of sorts, one she decided needed to be incorporated throughout her body to help her more understand both her mobility and anatomy. And it was an odd thing to explain, to staff, to her family, as to why she was walking around with a puzzled expression on her face, barefoot, and moving oddly at times… shifting weight from one foot to another, walking upright on her toes, shuffling and sliding.

But when asked, she simply smiled and continued the study, being sure this was what she was going to do to correct her inability to shift her feet. And after a whole day doing so, she settled back into The Commons, before the great hearth with a fire roaring, and put her feet up on a table that rested in front of a low couch. Studying the naked and webbed digits, Kavala thought of bird feet and once more emptied her mind of all else but that image.

She visualized her body once more and the djed within it as warm swirls of light all gathering and condensing around her feet. Kavala kept the image of what she wanted in her mind firmly, holding onto a raptor’s clawed dagger-like feet, knowing she could do it. Kavala had done it with her hands… it had been easy… and with her arms too. Her feet could follow suite. Slowly, with a warm burn that the Konti was starting to associate with morphing, her digits began to change. Her feet fully switched allocations, toes receding, bones lengthening, and her heel becoming fundamentally structured completely differently. Nails formed claws as one of her toes receded into her foot, lengthening and moving about. It took an eternity, namely she thought, because she did both at once, for each bone to restructure and switch around, scales to form on her skin, and her feet to utterly change into that of a hawk’s.

More than twenty chimes had passed as Kavala worked on the change, but Kavala did not care. She simply laughed instead, knowing she was on the right track and that the super secret trick to morphing wasn’t knowing exactly what you were morphing into – as one might assume – but knowing what you already had so well that you could give it up for another shape. And she sat there, a full couple of bells, enjoying the way the feet felt, and how they could strongly grip things, before the magic wore off and she sighed in contentment.

Funny thing too... she hadnt even gotten to the box of horns. Heh.

Last edited by Kavala on November 22nd, 2013, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kavala on November 22nd, 2013, 10:47 am

Success morphing her feet had kept Kavala going for several days. The clinic hadn’t been as chaotic as normal, but they were getting a lot of clients and seeing patients that were getting ready to be moved or altered for winter. Getting chores done around The Sanctuary proved to be a drain on Kavala’s time, despite the fact that everyone tried to keep her relaxing. The biggest consumer of time was literally putting away food for winter. The success of their gardens had been amazing, due in part to their bees being around and active. They had more fruits and vegetables to put away than would seem humanly possible. They brought jar after jar into the facility and canned and sealed, having deep pressure pots going and boiling water constantly rolling to sterilize and secure their food sources for the deep winter. There was also food for the animals to be brought in.

Kavala knew she needed a grain silo or two on the facility, and so those had to be built. Then grain had to be brought in to fill them to provide fodder for the cows, horses, chickens and pigs that were currently in residence. Meat was dried and salt preserved as well, giving the residents something to eat if hunting suddenly became scarce or they had to go permanently underground for another djed storm situation.

The Sea Caves were also cleaned out and the upper portion stocked with piles of hay and bins of grain so the lower portion could be filled with horses and livestock at a moment’s notice. Thanks to the underground stream, they had fresh water to provide them in case the rest of the water above got tainted. But just to be safe, Kavala had a dozen big rain barrels brought in and filled with rainwater to make sure they had an underground secure supply in case of another storm or in case their underground stream got tainted.

All that work often left her tired. And the closer she got to term, the more restless she got. Being restless wasn’t good. Kavala needed to keep her mind occupied. And so a few days later, she again found herself lounging on the couch in The Commons and staring at the box of antlers and horns that had been sitting there for a few days. Kavala leaned forward, plucked an antler out of the box and took a look at it. Obviously made from bone, the thing had grown off of a deer’s skull and then had been shed in the fall to help see the animals’ reserves through winter. This one was obviously a ‘shed’ though there was a smaller deer skull in the box that still had a horn attached to it. Kavala pulled out her ‘book’ that she’d been taking notes in and picked up a charcoal and sketched the differences between the shed and still affixed antler. They were quite notable. Then she set them back into the box and pulled forth a horn that looked like it had been cut from a ram.

Kavala shifted in her seat, got more comfortable, and picked up a magnifying glass that she’d set out for the examination. Peering through it, Kavala immediately noticed a startling difference between the antler and the horn. While the antler was obviously bone, the horn revealed a different startling truth. It wasn’t formed of bone at all. Instead, peering down at it with the resolution magnified, she saw that the horn was made up of tiny strands of hair. Horn was modified hair! Kavala was astonished. She turned the hollow tubes over, looking at where they had been cut and what had been within them. It was obvious that soft tissue had been filling the cavity. There were parts of it left over as the horn had been impatiently cleaned.

Kavala traced her hands around the spirals and examined what could only be dubbed growth rings, much like trees had. Her fingers flew as she made notes by the sketches, obviously excited.

I cannot be the first person to ever recognize the fact that horn is vastly different than antler. I had thought all such things were roughly the same, only varying in texture and appearance from species to species matching their individual adaptations. But this is unexpected. And as thrilled as I am to have recognized that antler is bone and horn is hair, I can’t help but be exceedingly disappointed in myself as well. How could I NOT have noticed before? And how could no one have ever mentioned it? Looking with eyes wide open and without blinders on, one can see so much more. This might be the biggest take away lesson from morphing yet.

PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS!

And though I have no model, I’ve seen time again how horns emerge from the bone of the skull transforming into the modified hair structure. I just never recognized that’s what I was looking at. I’m deeply curious now as to what the mechanism is for signaling an animal’s body to grow horn or antler. Does the animal simply know or does the skull make that decision and what factors helps the skull make that decision? Or maybe it’s just something the gods had wiled? That thought seems to calm me. And I know as I am sitting here writing this that If I ever get to speak to Caiyha face to face, this shall be one of the great mysteries I will ask her about.

Kavala hoped her notes were thorough. She wanted to be able to come back later and follow her progress and understand what she’d been thinking as she did so. Setting aside the horn and the antler, Kavala rose, stretched, and did the logical thing. She went to find Caelum while the sun was still out so she could talk him into staring at his horns a bit as well. The Healer was eager to see if the Eth’s horns were bone or hair. A bell later, she was back settling into her seat on the couch, and picking up her quill to make a few more additional notes.

It seems there’s a third material horns can be made out of. I’ve been studying Caelums horns and they are incredible. It is easy to not notice that fact when watching him and speaking with him because his beauty is overwhelming on the worst of days and absolutely breathtakingly stunning. I had guessed that his horns would be modified hair, much like the rams and cows, because that is how his somewhat appear in general shape and size. But upon closer inspection, one can see they aren’t made of born or hair at all. They are this gleaming crystalline structure that seems to be part of his skeleton. And unlike the bone or hair horns, Caelums are absolutely inflexible. They are dangerously hard, so much so that a heavily stone with a very high hardness doesn’t even begin to scratch them. They are the most beautiful and terrible things I have seen in terms of godly gifts.

Kavala added the words thoughtfully and then set aside her writing materials and slowly stretched she got comfortable, focused, and let her mind empty of all thoughts. There were nagging doubts up there in her conscious awareness today that seemed to dance around in her mind like little butterflies. They were doubts about self and whether she was doing the right thing. A part of Kavala knew most of it was the baby and the crazy that tended to strike mothers when they were close to their time. But she couldn’t help it. Meditation seemed elusive because of the doubts. She tried her breathing exercises, but that didn’t help much.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 22nd, 2013, 10:50 am

Then Kavala tried visualization, picturing her negativity being like a fluid darkness swirling around inside of her. That worked better, far better, than she normally would have thought it would. Once more relaxed, Kavala could SEE all her doubts and fears like an inky black liquid. And as part of the visualization, she pictured that black murky mass sloshing around and eventually emptying out down through her toes, leaking onto the ground like an inky black stain. Coupled with breathing regularly and steadily, Kavala worked all the blackness out of her through the souls of her feet. It took almost a half bell, but she did it, shocked at how real all the doubts and fears manifesting could be. The image was so strong Kavala actually felt better and at one point opened her eyes to see if there was anything in the floor. There wasn’t. But that didn’t stop her from feeling better and feeling cleaner.

Once she was ‘clean’, Kavala got to work on the horns. Blanking her mind out, she once more pictured the djed inside of her like a shower of bright sparks swirling around within her body. She brought them up gently past the baby and into her head. She pooled them on either side of her body above and slightly behind her hears. Then, amassing the Djed on either side of her head, she began to concentrate on her skull, building it out. Kavala started with antlers first. She thought horns would be a lot easier because they grew from bone, and bone was not something that Kavala was afraid to manipulate. Hair on the other hand seemed a bit complex. So Kavala sat on the couch, took her time, and concentrated on growing horns. They sprouted, pushing through her skin and rising upwards to crown her head delicately. The Konti shuddered, afraid to reach up once the weight settled on her head and she knew without a doubt they were there. The weight was intimidating, but it wasn’t something she was going to let stop her. The Konti rose, walked to the nearest place that had a reflective mirror-like surface and looked.

There, protectively surrounding her head was a lovely set of antlers with four points each. They weren’t as detailed as normal deer antlers would be. She couldn’t reach up and run her hands over them and feel the echoes of a deer’s life and all its seasonal challenges beneath her fingertips. Instead there was just smooth bones, so obvious that the creation was fresh made and not at all roughened from being grown and then the velvet scraped off. Kavala admired them nonetheless, knowing that with time she’d get better and her take on antlers would be more diverse and not smooth molded bone birthed just moments ago.

She leaned her head back on her seat and felt the antler’s catch, snagging on the fabric of the couch and not letting her put her head down to relax. They were cumbersome things, growing heavy by the minute… and she wondered if she could dismiss them rather than letting the magic wear off, which is what she’d been doing previous. Kavala took a series of deep breaths. She closed her eyes and felt the weight of the antlers. She knew their shape and size, intimately, them having been a product of her own imagination. And so she inhaled, held it, and exhaled slowly, concentrating. She visualized the antlers full of the warm glowing light shed drew to her skull to flush out the newly grown bone. Kavala was familiar with its warmth and welcoming energy and the thousand points of light that the djed within her created. Listen. That was the key. She wanted the power to listen to her, and understand that it could not hold a shape indefinitely. The Healer wanted it to dismiss at her will, to listen for her, and to react to her needs.

So to that end she concentrated. She willed the djed to sink back into herself, using the visualization that the colored swirls of light were retreating, sliding back into her body, re-infusing them within her. She concentrated so hard and channeled her will so long that sweat started breaking out on her forehead. Kavala grew tense and worried, since what she was doing didn’t help. So she relaxed, told herself not to worry about it, and to think. So she opened her eyes and began to go over and over in her mind what it was she was doing and why it wasn’t working.

Kavala frowned, and then laughed at herself; shaking her head and making the white blond hair toss in amongst the rack of antlers. Then she picked up her pen, dipped it, and began to write out her explanation for her own silliness.

Never forget when you utilize your personal djed for Morphing; you are not rearranging the djed like you might think. You are actually burning it. So it takes just as much djed to take down or reverse a Morph as it does to Morph in the first place. So if you want your morphing’s to be big, such as the rack of antler’s I’m currently sporting, you then must make sure you scale your morph so that you have enough djed to reverse the process. Otherwise you will have to wait out the duration of the morph and let it naturally decay.

Kavala smiled at the analogy. Natural decay was a concept in morphing that was supposed to be grasped as a beginner. The reason one was taught the concept was to help Morphers figure out their limits early. And that, indeed, was what Kavala had been doing.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 22nd, 2013, 7:28 pm

It seemed time was passing slowly for the Konti, who was after all, simply in a holding pattern waiting for her next son to put in an appearance. And while she was slowly figuring out the ins and outs of Morphing for a beginner, the going was about as rapid as a gradual thaw from winter because every time she got a quiet evening to herself, something happened that required her attention. Like right now. Tasi had a nightmare and had woken up from his early bedtime screaming. Kavala wondered if it wasn’t because Aweston and Vanator were telling him some of their adventures growing up on the Sea of Grass. He’d uttered something about glassbeaks and had come running into the room sobbing. Shayru had been less than impressed with Tasi’s cowardice (in his mind) and had wanted to go back to the dream to see what was going to happen. It was obvious the boy was torn and uncertain what to do, scared, and in need of a mother’s comfort.

So here they sat, once more before the fire in the commons, Kavala with her arm around her sons, and whispering softly to them about all things bright and beautiful as they fell back into a deep sleep in her arms. And though Kavala wouldn’t trade these dwindling days of mother and son bonding, she really needed to get some work done. But she was neither inclined to try and move him herself nor was she really wanting to move his form at all The little guy had needed her less and less as he got older, well into his third going on forth year now, and had looked more and more towards the males for guidance. Kavala understood the urge, but it hurt nonetheless, that he would somehow respect their word or seek their guidance over Kavala’s just because of her sex.

Riaris had tried to reassure her it was normal. And he’d also quietly pointed out that Tasival and Shayru were not human, not even Konti, but were in fact Akontak.. .closer to the Akalaks than anything but most importantly still a different race. Kavala knew that. Everyone looking at Tasival knew that. But letting it sink in that he would not be this loving Konti daughter that would be at her side her whole life was harder to deal with than she thought And so as she stroked her stomach, a secret wish popped into being that the child she knew was in fact a boy – was actually a girl. And it wasn’t hat she wanted to change Tasival. No, not at all. She loved her son dearly. She just wanted him to be a little less independent so she could have what most normal mothers had… more time with them as a baby.

And so, Morphing practice would have to be postponed in favor of gazing adoringly at her child while he slept. Kavala felt a little creepy and even laughed at herself over it.
But as the chimes turned into almost a bell, Kavala had to admit to herself Tasi wasn’t waking up and he definitely wasn’t going anywhere unless one of the guys or Cadra showed up to carry him to bed. So, that being the case… why couldn’t she practice? The Konti yawned, looked thoughtful, and tried to decide what to morph this time. The options were endless, really, and it would have to be something she’d do without disturbing Tasi. Kavala ran her fingers lovingly through her son’s hair, glad he was soundly sleeping and not fussy about who held him while he was upset. Their time like this was so short, the Konti realized, and even though she had another child on the way and putting in an appearance soon, Tasi would always be her first and his actions would never change that.

She trailed a hand down off his hair and onto his shoulder, stroking his bare arm, looking at the depth of the color of his skin. He was a deep sapphire, in fact, one of the most gorgeous colors of blue she’d ever seen. His white hair was shocking next to it. Kavala was sure he’d grow up to be incredibly handsome. He was already a beautiful little boy. And it made her heart hurt to think that some day he’d be a full grown man with a family of his own and maybe even a son that looked just like him. It made the Konti feel old, even though Kavala was barely old enough to be considered an adult herself. That simply meant – and for this she was thankful – that she’d grow with him in regards to both of them aging… and she’d still be young when hopefully he started his family. So if she was lucky, and lived, Kavala would get to see Tasival become a man, start a family, and hopefully be successful and happy. And she hoped he’d take The Sanctuary as his legacy and be a healer and work in the college there teaching. But one never knew. Even now he wasn’t showing much aptitude for wanting such things nor was he born with a Rak’keli’s mark.

So… what could she do morphing wise? The Konti traced her fingers across her child’s skin and wondered if she could change her own to match his hue. Skin had more overall body mass, but it was only skin thick, so it wasn’t more than twenty five percent of her body… so as a beginner she should be able to darken or completely change her skin. With Tasival sleeping peacefully finally, Kavala inhaled deeply, exhaled slowly after a moment and began her meditative breathing. She cleared her mind after a few chimes and was able to visualize her djed as a glow beneath her skin, altering it… the glow started above her heart and spread outwards, down her belly and out into her limbs, wrapping around her torso to coat her spine and then traveling up into her hair and across her face. The warmth felt amazing, almost addicting, as she kept her eyes closed and worked the djed into her skin, slowly deepening the tone. She had the exact color she wanted lying in her arms snoozing soundly. She felt the warmth travel up her hairline and wrap her skull, then flow out onto her cheeks altering skin there as well. Arms and legs warmed as light wrapped around her fingertips and toes, warming the tips of both sets of digits. Kavala even firmly visualized and controlled the light so it wrapped around her rear and touched her more intimately, leaving no pieces of skin unaltered.

By the Gods it felt good. So good…. Kavala was almost ready to open her eyes when a huge crash had her concentration interrupted. And though she was done with her transformation, it was still jarring to have the crash bust her out of her meditation. Pale blue Konti eyes searched the room until she locked eyes on Cadra, who was standing there shocked, a vase of flower lying shattered at her feet. She looked like she didn’t know what to look like.. horror, fear, confusion, and a bit of amusement also crossed her face.

“Aunt Kavala! You are blue! By The Gods are you okay?”
Her niece asked, making Kavala bust out laughing. Evidently it had worked, and it had worked so well that when Cadra had caught her practicing, she’d completely taken her niece off guard.

“Hon, I’m fine. I’m just practicing Morphing… do you need help cleaning that up?” Kavala asked, about ready to move Tasi gently off to the side.

“No no.. I have it. I just came to ring you a new book and some fresh flowers in case you were going too stir crazy. I see you are keeping busy though. I’ll get it.. keep relaxing and.. uh… doing whatever it is you are doing.”
Cadra said, laughing slightly and already bending down to pick up the shattered remains of the face and recollect the flowers.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 22nd, 2013, 8:11 pm

After the blue skin incident with Cadra, Kavala had eventually gotten Aweston to put Tasi to bed – for he was far too large for her to carry in her state – and she’d joined him for a few hours. That was all the child would let her sleep though. The baby inside had started kicking, protesting, and once he nailed her bladder it was all over and she was up. With the boy inside restless to the point he was giving her cramps, Kavala decided to update her book with her newest observations. Some of them were a little about the darker side of morphing.

I’ve noticed a side effect of morphing or perhaps just of the direct use of djed. It has been talked about in reimancers, but I have never personally experienced it. Using the djed just feels good. It’s a deliciously addicting. The warmth is invigorating and something I feel like I want to experience over and over again. These are warning signs to me because that sort of seduction can be dangerous when all it wants you to do is to use magic. Even with geomancy I do not feel the same pull. I feel a kinship with the stone and that I almost understand its nature and being.

I do not, however, HAVE to work with it when I need to ply my powers. Here though, there is a different feeling. It’s as if the more you change your skin the more you wan to be liberated from it and what to loose the bounds that hold you to this life. I’m wondering, and this is just speculation on my part, if Morphing brings us closer to the energy state I think we become when we die. I wonder if it’s not so comforting and familiar because it’s something we are actually used too. I can resist its call, of that I am certain, because my life is good here, happy and there is so much still left to do. But a weaker person with an unhappy life or no ties that bind them might easily fall victim to the seduction.

Beware of it, for I sense that it will always be close at hand for Morphers.

So deep into the night, Kavala sat down and set up a large mirror on the table in front of the couch. She angled it and propped it up so she could easily see it sitting comfortably. Now that she knew she could alter her skin tone, her hair color, and even small things about her body, it was time to work on her face. Her face should have easily been manipulated since it was a small area. That was why she set up the mirror, propped it forward, and got comfortable. She closed her eyes for a moment and began her breathing exercises. With Caelum at The Sanctuary and his Ranuri Mark prominent, he’d inadvertently brought back a lot of memories for Kavala.

There was someone lost to her that she couldn’t get out of her mind. Someday soon she’d walk Akela’s Chavi and find out if her sister was dead or alive. She hadn’t before now because the Konti suspected Akela had been dead, especially because of the djed storm. No word.. no sign.. no idea. Somewhere deep inside the Healer, the Konti bled pain and sorrow, missing her older sibling and her guide into this life. Kavala let Akela’s essence flood her, bringing forth all the memories she had of her sister – good, bad, indifferent. And she let that feeling infuse her face as she opened her eyes. She could feel the warmth of the djed in her body coating her features and condensing in her face. Bones started to move as the Konti stared on, willing her flesh to be manipulated like an artist would manipulate clay. She gave Akela more prominent handsome features and a better more beautiful nose than the one Kavala had. The healer lost her soft jaw line and in exchange got a full one, strong of character and belonging to a woman that loved swords more than people.

The Konti didn’t understand the tears that were sliding down the face reflected in the mirror as she manipulated the flesh. She ignored them at first, thinking it some byproduct of the magic she was focused on using. Cheekbones were adjusted, hairline changed, and even the arch of the brow was fiddled with until it was just right.

Someone staring at the image would call the women identical, but Kavala knew differently. All the features she loved and admired about her sister were now on her face. If Vanator would have walked in at that moment, he probably would have gone pale and drew her instantly into his arms for a hug – save she was pregnant and wearing Kavala’s ratty old nightshirt.

Instead of the Healer though, the Konti warriors face stared back at Kavala. And though she couldn’t help herself, the Konti started to speak.

“I love you. I didn’t tell you that as much as I should have when you were around, Akela. I never thought we’d live separate lives when I was growing up. I thought you’d always be there for me to follow around and imitate. But you aren’t here. You are somewhere else, and I hope in that somewhere you are happy. I can’t say it enough, but I love and miss you so much. I hope things have turned out well for you, and I pray to Nysel daily to give you good dreams and see to your happiness. You were my first love, my first friend, and my first role-model. I had hoped you’d always be my last one as well. Akela, come back. Wherever you are, come back if you can and if that would make you happy. You have a whole big family here that would welcome you with open arms. Some of them you haven’t met and they haven’t had the honor of meeting you. You know, I even built a forge for you, hoping someday you’d return, find it, and say ’By The Gods sister! You give the best presents.’ That hasn’t happened yet. But I do hope someday it will. You always have a room here, Akela. And you always have people that love you if you need a soft place to land.”
Kavala said with almost a sob.

Kavala paused then, realizing she was crying tears that she’d kept inside for a long long time.. tears that mourned the loss of her sister and the hope that was fading more and more each season that she’d ever return.

Kavala held the shape of Akela’s face on her own for a good hour, not altering herself back but letting the natural decay of the magic do it for her. The whole time she spent staring at herself in the mirror, stroking her face gently, and whispering soft encouragements and expressions of love.

Continued in: Birds Of A Feather

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 24th, 2013, 6:43 am

XP Award!

Kavala:

XP Award:

• +3 writing
  • +5 Morphing
  • +2 organization
  • +5 meditation

Lore:
  • Pregnancy: Too near to term to ride a horse.
  • Medicine: Konti Feet have 26 bones
  • Animal Husbandry: Horns are very different then Antlers
  • Morphing: Natural Decay, a way to teach beginner morphers their limits.
  • Motherhood: The speeding of sand through the hourglass of childhood to adulthood.
  • The sorrow of a sisters loss.

Notes: I assume that Lores can still be given for things that one has Mastered (aka Animal Husbandry).I also awarded Kavala much more meditation points in this one then the last because she did quite a bit more of it. She is kind of making me feel sorry for her and her pregnant body..Get that baby out! :P

I have to say I had a smile when Kavala was all nonchalant about manipulating bone but was leery about manipulating hair :D
These are comments
Comments :
As always feel free to pm me if you have any concerns. Don’t forget to delete/edit your grade request.

TAYLANI
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)