Flashback [The Night Tower] All Are Shadowed (Riaris)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[The Night Tower] All Are Shadowed (Riaris)

Postby Kaie on November 27th, 2013, 3:20 am

69th of Spring, 511 AV
7th Bell

Entering the city of Riverfall only days before had been an adventure in itself. A season and a half was spent braving the jungles, a day crossing the sea, all leading her to her first true barbarian encounter. A city of cliffs and falls, stony with domed buildings. A strange world of colored men called Akalaks. A race exclusively of men. First impression told the Myrian their survival was a bit more complex than she could possibly be aware of. The females of the city seemed to be of every which race imaginable. Were they looked down upon and objectified as her father had warned some barbarians do?

This day, Keritan had actually allowed her free reign of the section of the city. By chance alone she had gotten wind of the tower dedicated to the Mistress of the Night once in Common. Due to its size, it wasn't terribly hard to identify luckily. Kaie could not have possibly predicted what exactly she would experience when she reached it. There was no need. The location of worship delivered.

It was stunning, really. An architectural wonder of dark stone whose frame mumbled its mysteries upon her deaf ears. It was the strangest temple the young Myrian woman had ever set her eyes upon. Almost as strange as the colored inhabitants of its domain, whose language was still utter nonsense to her. This tower, however, was somehow beautiful its in own way. It drew her to its entrance like a magnet. The darkness and shadows lurking inside seeming to pull at her like spindles. It was as if the very goddess Kaie had been worshiping (almost blindly) in the jungle had suddenly manifested. Like Myri and the deities of Falyndar, Akajia had once again reinforced the concept of her reality.

Kaie stood there just inside the entrance for some time, simply feeling. Just remaining in place as if trying to detect the presence of the Goddess. As if she could possibly convince her to appear to the savage. And just like that she was lost. A detached tree limb floating aimlessly in the sea of shadows the building conjured. How could a place of such grandeur seem so...Empty?

"Akajia, you know I am not a citizen of this city. I know not of your temple and your priestesses. Reach your hand through the shadows and show me the way," Kaie whispered to herself in her own tongue, amber eyes flickering about to study the innards of the structure. Deciding what her next move might be. Hoping for divine intervention to lead her. For now that she had arrived, what was she to do?

Last edited by Kaie on March 7th, 2014, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaie
Player

Words: 1635197
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2013, 3:13 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on November 28th, 2013, 4:00 am

Recoomas rested inside the night tower, down on both knees. The shadows around him were ignored, his eyes closed and mind focused. The darker brother of Riaris was torn between his love of Krysus and Akajia. The dark mother was loved by all his kind, but he also had a deep rooted relationship with the Goddess of pain as well. He had been drawn to her like so much negative energy and found himself very pleased with the nature of pain and pleasure.

But this day wasn't about Krysus, Recoomas sought to contact his mother and commune with her in this place of her name. The Akalak had sat for bells unmoving, his mind and body focused as one in quiet meditation. The two brothers were growing closer with their link, but they hadn't completely made the transition just yet. Riaris still dominated most of the time, and Recoomas only appeared during times of unrest or chance. Once he was free to control his fate for a short time, the purple hulk was quick to get to work on his goals.

Becoming closer to Akajia meant a lot to him, and he hoped to one day share the link he had with Krysus with his dark mother, but of course in a different way. Recoomas was also the secret keeping type, much like his sister Johan. They were in-tuned with the dark mother more so than they believed Riaris and Nanail to be. For their kinds, if one soul played apart, then the other would too, unless they risked being torn apart and offered a tattoo for being less than Akalak. Riaris also cared for his mother, but it was Recoomas who decided to go to the temple and seek out the Goddess.

"My mother, it is I, Recoomas that has come here today to seek out your wisdom and favor. I am worthy of your eyes and the dark secrets that you keep within them. Give me a sign, a task and I will carry it out and prove to you that I am worthy of your touch and grace."
The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Kaie on December 2nd, 2013, 9:44 pm

It had taken a bit of time at first. It seemed her feet had become cemented in place, rooted deep within the streets like some mangled tree. For a while she could do nothing but stare. Stare up at the beauty and mystery that masked the Night Tower. Only when she had mentally hacked away her invisible appendages did she finally get her feet moving in the direction of the entrance. Right into the jaws of darkness itself.

Kaie was greeted by an elaborate foyer in the dark. Peering down the length of the walk, it appeared to give way to something more grand. The design of the building was just as enigmatic as the Goddess herself. With amber eyes flickering all about, studying what she could make out, it was decided exploring was not in her best interest. Instead she opted to wander the length of the foyer toward the opening at its end.

Her walk was cautious, a slow and steady tread in which she found herself conscious of her every step in the silence. It seemed sinful to do so much as breathe and disturb the quiet night created inside the walls. Maintaining silent steps was not a perfected art, but eventually she made it to the end moderately quiet. Had a priestess been present, however, they might've cringed at her current idea of stealth.

A vibrant purple dimmed by the lack of light was what first caught Kaie's eyes. That or it was the massive, hulking figure of the kneeling Akalak that did. Regardless, all else seemed to literally fade to black the second her eyes dilated in and attempt to focus on him. He was like a sleeping giant. Down in a prayer she did not understand, and the Myrian woman would dare not disturb him either. Worship was required in her eyes, though. She couldn't just awkwardly stand there and wait for him to go on his way. Instead she found a kneeling spot of her own and sank as the man had, mirroring the ways of the creatures who called the Goddess "Mother." Had someone ventured to Taloba to offer prayer to the Goddess Queen, they might've reflected the positions of the surrounding natives in the same manner.

"Goddess of Shadows and Mistress of Night, I come into your home to give thanks for safe passage in your streets. I come to offer you my gratitude for the many nights you protected me from the terrors of the jungle. Though I cannot see as they could, I felt the power of your presence. I felt your strength. If you deem me still worthy, let me show my appreciation with actions rather than words. Guide me through the darkness and I shall fearlessly complete tasks in your name. For as Myri guides my fists and Dira my blades, you are my eyes in the night," Kaie whispered in her brutal tongue into the darkness from her kneeling position, head bowed and eyes sealed.

A moment passed in silence when she was through. Like the Goddess Queen wandering the temple and the training yards, Kaie suspected the divine presence she felt within the walls was a sure sign Akajia was near. Perhaps she was even listening. That notion alone seemed to strengthen to the power of her words.

When the Myrian woman did rise again, she immediately glanced about her back. A defensive habit she seemed to be picking up without a single Myrian in sight. For a second she contemplated the council of a high priestess, but shut that idea down quickly. She was a savage and a foreign one at that. Her tales had been told by women of her longhouse and men on the hunt between the brush. What she wanted to know of the deities beyond Falyndar would come best from those that revered her collectively. What better commoner to ask than an Akalak of Riverfall?

Amber eyes floated to the hulking monster she had spied earlier. Kaie almost dreaded the idea of disturbing the male. The last thing she wanted to do was somehow manage to butcher her Common the wrong way, and have that guy dragging her through the streets. Perhaps in light of the importance of Akajia, he might decide to share.

The moment the man seemed to be bringing his prayers to a close, Kaie slowly approached the man as one might venture toward a drowsy Tskanna.

OOCSorry for the delay! Holidays had me tied up but I'm back in full speed now!

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on December 8th, 2013, 3:52 pm

Recoomas meditated on his thoughts, offered his prayer and was about to go about his way. He had said what he needed too, and he didn't expect an answer. The prayer was more for peace of mind and a show of respect than anything. A direct answer wasn't likely, it wasn't like the dark Goddess to do so, unless one was truly worthy.

Opening his eyes, Recoomas glanced around, he could feel someone standing near him, and that alone was annoying. Standing up, he raised to his full height and turned to look upon the person invading his space. Perhaps it would be harder for her to see him, but Recoomas could see her just fine. It was a small girl, bronzed skin and dark eyes that shined with need for war. Recoomas rubbed his chin as he looked over the girl's features, Myrians were allowed in the city, but many Akalak and others saw than as less than equal beings.

And Recoomas believed the same.

She appeared lost, though many did who visited the temple, but with her being what she was made it seem even more so. He breathed in and out at a normal pace, pale blue eyes staring down upon her. "Is this something you need stranger?"
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Kaie on December 10th, 2013, 3:01 am

Her advance had been too quick. Just when the woman believed she had been timing it all just right, the dark figure all but obscured in the shadows did not stir. By the time she had taken that one step too far, it was too late. The hulking Akalak had noted her obvious presence at the closing of his personal prayer and spun to intercept her. His features were masked in the shadows for the most part due to his pigmentation. Still, Kaie could sense his immense mass in the dark just fine. But now that she had his attention, how would she proceed?

"Akalak call Akajia Mother. But Mistress of Night is neutral. What does she do for your kind above others?" She asked suddenly in Common, surprising herself with how steady her voice was despite the sudden onset of nerves. The scene and the man did not strike fear in her heart. It was simply an uncomfortable situation for a woman with broken Common and barely any understanding of the city at all. From where she stood, all that connected her to this barbarian was the fact they adored the same Goddess. It was a shame not even that could destroy the ethnocentric mentality that had been adopted by her people long ago.

"How you know what she ask when she take no side?" Kaie continued and made her best effort not to butcher the words with her harsh accent. Hopefully he could see what she was getting at and help her out. Just a bit of guidance was all she requested. And then she would be on her way.

Inquiring about culture was not something typical for the Myrian girl. Naturally, the whole cultural diffusion thing was a part of the travel package. From the start, however, fighting was her main subject of interest. Kaie expected to be disappointed with the skills of women in the cities across the Suvan. She anticipated these cities of amateur street brawlers with no technique or skill in their movements. Just blind and bloody fist fighting. Though Myrians had no specific discipline in the field, their maneuvers were still practiced and organized. Yet there would be plenty of time to hunt down any common brawlers. Now was time sacrificed for the elusive Goddess she was yet to wholly understand.

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on December 14th, 2013, 4:28 am

The girl asked a question, a question that showed her naive even if her bronzed skin hadn't already. Recoomas wouldn't expect a Myrian to understand their ways, nor the wants of his mother. Standing there, he studied the youth in front of him. He didn't realize that the Myrians allowed their children to scamper about where ever they chose to go. It seemed like a careless choice to make. The world wasn't a safe place, and for ignorant creatures who cried war before they used their minds, things might end badly.

"Akajia is the mother of the Akalak as Wysar is our father. How do we know what she wants? She speaks to us silly child and so does our father. The God and Goddess not only have temples here, but they also walk our streets and commune with us."

He chuckled at her words and pulled himself together long enough to finish what he had to say. "Neutral? What do you know of my mother? What do you know of my father? Neutral? My mother lives here in this city, she protects her children and gives them guidance. She doesn't waver between us, but don't make the mistake of thinking she see's someone like you as an equal for me or any of my kind." Recoomas scoffed and slowly moved past the girl.

"Be careful while you're here, my mother has a way to deal with ignorance, and her servants may not be as forgiving."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Kaie on December 16th, 2013, 2:36 am

She could've guessed exactly what kind of response she was about to receive. It appeared that the moment the man faced her, there was a superiority in his eyes. Strangely, it was almost familiar. Could it be the same expression her own people wore when there was talk or mention of a Deyhan? She supposed it didn't matter. There was naught else she could do but stand tall before him in the darkness of Akajia's domain, and take the glancing verbal blows. Kaie was well aware she had come and asked questions that would more than likely lead to mocking. No doubt they would seem obvious to whomever tried to answer. With luck, it is between insults she would find some sort of...Direction.

So the Mistress of the Night does reveal herself like Blessed Myri in her streets...

Wysar was a new name for the youth to remember. What his realm was, was an entirely different question to explore at another time. At least what she did gather was the two deities made themselves known like her own Goddess in Taloba. They were actively existent in this strange place. What did seem odd was that this Akalak did not imply either truly ruled or dictated Riverfall. They gave them their faith and loyalty but did they also grant them thrones and military campaigns to be waged forever in their names? The Myrian girl might've asked something on that subject had he not laughed and started his mockery.

Gradually her empty hands balled into fists at her sides. Her eyes darkened in the absence of light with her wounded pride, heart burning with the desire to remind the hulking man why tales of vicious Falyndar cannibal warriors spread like wildfire in the nightmares of foreign barbarians. To prove just why the Goddess of War and Victory chose them as her chosen people. Kaie did not care of his overwhelming size and strength. She would die before she let heathens shame the bloodlines that found glory as swords to Myri the Merciless. However, she made no foolish advance toward the man. All that kept her rooted in place, hands relaxing into open palms, was their very location. It would be an unforgivable disgrace to insult Akajia in her own home. Her clan would condemn her.

"Then enlighten me," Kaie growled in a Common whisper his way, turning on her heels to face him. Whether he would pause and consider her request was irrelevant. Her steps followed after him. Naturally, she kept a gracious space between them, but she was determined not to leave the temple intellectually empty handed."Teach poor savage girl the way."

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on December 22nd, 2013, 7:55 pm

Recoomas paused in his steps, the pale shade of his eyes appearing as a solid white or grey in the dark area. He thought over her words, her request and he didn't think a savage could handle anything that didn't scream grab, smash, stump, and eat. However if she was really interested he wouldn't deny her. His mother carried her secrets, but her existence itself wasn't one of them.

"Fine, I'll explain it."
he returned in common. "Akajia is our mother in all rights. Her skin is as dark as mine, as all my brothers. She does show attention to others who aren't our kind, but the Akalak share in her dark glow. Her gift to her children." pausing again, he turned to look at the girl and see if she was keeping up with his words. "If she is neutral it's because she shows favor to others not of my kind. Unlike your war Goddess who only touches other savages."

Recoomas waited for the day, he longed for the time where he could be able to meet with his dark mother face to face and receive her blessing. "My mother isn't as easy to please as others might be. She cares for us all but only marks a few with her gifts." Turning away, he started to walk again allowing the girl to follow if she wished. "You have questions, I might have answers. Ask and we'll see."
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Kaie on December 27th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Goddess willing, the Akalak did stop to turn and give her a semblance of an answer to her budding questions. The youth could feel the superiority radiating from him. Somehow it wasn't too difficult for the young woman to look past it and focus on his words. Her mind raced with both comprehension and processing of Common and the conveyed information, storing it preciously somewhere in her brain for later access. All that was not new simply intertwined with the tales she had heard from a land far across the Suvan. She understood the Goddess of Night couldn't possibly be her mother in the same way as Myri. Not even close. However, she had always felt her presence in the ominous darkness of the jungle when only the sounds of fierce creatures gave warning way danger laid.

As the Myrians shared the dark complexion, eyes, and hair of their mother, Akajia's apparent chosen appeared in a similar way. A way to mark the race that was known to be her closest of followers. Naturally, she supposed the dark coloring the current speaker had gave him an inherent advantage in the night. An easy way to fade into the shadows by night and take center stage with his beautiful pigment by day in Syna's light. It was an interesting contrast, really. It wasn't hard to see why the Akalak and their home attracted so much attention.

Kaie's lip curled defensively for a moment at the word "savages." She'd heard it about a dozen times since she left the shores of Falyndar. Surely this time wouldn't be the last. Her father had warned her of such anyways. He seemed to be immune to it when it was thrown at him, almost proud at the accusation. Kaie on the other hand wasn't so accustomed to it, and it would be some time before it was nothing more than a common descriptor of her people. Keritan's command for her to remain "civil" was all that kept her from acting childishly foolish. There was no gain for her in lunging at the man much larger than her, especially in the very house of the deity she had come to worship and understand. So her lips remained sealed and she swallowed her pride. She still needed him. He was right, she still had questions that only he could answer.

"Okay," She agreed with a nod, following the man slowly almost with a sluggishness nearing distrust. Then even that disappeared and she found herself just off to his side meeting his pace. The Myrian licked her lips, trying to piece thoughts into Common before she spoke it. "You say not easy please like others. So how you know what she want? Myri walks in the streets, her people know her ways well. Akajia seems...Like mystery."

Her brow furrowed with the struggles of both thought and tongue. She bit her lip trying to focus on a more cohesive question. Yet what was one to do when they were so lost in the darkness of a goddess who ruled it?

"So if she not speak often to people like me, how know to honor her?

Kaie
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on January 7th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Recoomas walked on, to the girl's credit she didn't seem as if she might faint while looking at his size. A lot of women were afraid to speak with his kind, and in places that lacked light, they surely weren't going to try. The girl's question was a good one, and one that many had asked about his mother in the past. He didn't have an exact answer, but he could tell her of what he, himself had learned. "My mother speaks to us when she has something to tell us, and for those that are lucky can gain her ear."

He walked on, not bothering to look back to the girl as she moved to catch him. "She knows her children well. She knows those who seek her favor. If she deems them worthy, she would speak to them. There are many questions we as a people have, and we believe that our mother has the answer to them. She doesn't always answer..but if she wants to..then she will." There wasn't a lot that he could tell her because he didn't completely understand the woman himself. "Pray to my mother and ask her guidance, if she finds you worthy she will speak to you. If you understand her secretive ways then I'm sure that she will find you worthy."

Recoomas smiled, but didn't chuckle. He knew it wouldn't be easy for the girl to understand what he was saying, and even less likely that his mother would talk to her. "I'm curious why your kind would be interested in Akalak Gods, how did you learn about her?" Recoomas walked further outside and decided that he needed a drink, he wasn't sure if she did, or could drink, but that wasn't his problem. "If you can locate one of her favored, maybe they can help you and give you the secret." He smiled here to, no one that he had known ever talked about his dark mother, at least to say more than what he already had. "My mother isn't a quick study and one visit to her temple won't bring you all the knowledge you seek. She knows a lot, but she doesn't give her information to just anyone.

Understand?"
Recoomas made the slow climb up the dozens of stair it took to reach The Blue Bull and stepped inside. If the girl was still with him, he would hold open the door so that she could enter behind him if she chose to. He gave the place a quick look around before making his way to the bar and having a seat. "Ann, Syliran Wheat." he called out to the woman on the otherside of the bar.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Next